Chapter 1

My Sweet Revenge, Love

In the bustling city of Shanghai, the Wang family held a high reputation in both business and underground society. Wang Yu was the head of the family, and the Wang owned hotel chains in Shanghai, Macau, and Beijing. However, his past was not as glorious. During his youth, Wang Yu used to be the fierce leader of the underground society in Shanghai. It was until he met his now wife—Wang Lin—that he decided to leave the underground world to establish a clean business, started with a small hotel business. Together they built their hotel empire from the ground.

Wang Yu had always been a man with great talents but horrible temper, but his wife, Wang Lin, never failed to keep his temper in control. 10 years ago, Wang Yu got into a terrible car accident that left him with a deep scar on his face, and the recovery turned him from a handsome well-built man to a scary-looking chubby man. But that didn’t affect him; instead, it became their inside joke.

“Now you finally look like a scary gangster that you were supposed to be years ago,” Wang Lin would always .

The Wang had a daughter and a son: Wang DeeHsu and Wang Hedi. Wang DeeHsu was already happily married and became the director of their Macau hotel chains. Wang Hedi, on the other hand, remained a very mysterious bachelor. He got the look from his mother and the talents from his father, but no one except his close relatives and business circle really knew what he looked like. The Wang had always been private, especially with their heir.

When Wang Yu saw a photo of Shen Yue—the daughter of his good friend, he thought of his 28-year-old son who hadn’t been in any relationship once. After discussing with Shen Ming, Wang Yu decided to host a dinner at one of his hotel restaurants to introduce both children for a potential engagement. Although the dinner was private, it didn’t stop the employees of the hotel from anticipating their future boss and their potential mistress.

However, the thing did not go as planned. The obedient daughter of Shen Ming instead ran away from the dinner. Even though Wang Hedi appeared to be calm, Wang Lin knew that her son was boiling inside. Hedi inherited the control of her but the temper of his father.

After the failed dinner, Wang Hedi was mad at his father for attempting it in the first place. Hedi soon left for Beijing to work at their hotel chain there without visiting home even once.

‘Talking about Shen Yue, this child is really something,’ Wang Lin thought, ‘She dared running away from home without proper explanation. I should tell ah Ming and ah Li not to spoil her too much, but hm, who am I to say anything. Last time, ah Hsu also ran away from home like this. Luckily, she met her now husband there. Seeing ah Hsu returned home safe with a good and hard-working husband was already enough for me.’

However, Wang Lin still felt uneasy. She thought that a young girl like Shen Yue shouldn’t wander around alone like this. It could be very dangerous out there. Wang Lin sighed before picking up her phone to call Yue’s mother again.

[Beijing Train Station]

*Sneeze*

A young girl in a white blouse and a knee-length black pencil skirt was hugging herself for warmth in the cold winter of Beijing. As soon as the train arrived, the girl quickly went inside and sat down on an empty seat. She closed her eyes and thought of what happened a month ago.

She left Shanghai a month ago for a temporary escape. She grew up in a normal middle-class family who sold organic produces and ran food catering. She always helped her family managed the stocks, expenses, and other records. She kept immersing herself in work without going out much, so she was afraid that her marriage was likely to be arranged by her parents.

Finally, it really happened, and it was not what she expected.

 

[One and a half month ago]

Shen Yue was walking downstairs to get some water when she overheard the conversation between her father and Wang Yu. Wang Yu was a good friend of her father. She had not met him since she was a toddler because his family moved to Macau for business. Look like they finally returned back to Shanghai.

“Ah Ming! Your daughter grew up to be a very beautiful woman! She and my son will look good together.” Wang Yu said holding a picture of Shen Yue.

“Yes, brother! If our children get married, that would be a great joy for both of our families.” Shen Ming replied.

‘Married? Are they talking about her?’ Shen Yue frowned, hiding behind the wall near where her father was sitting. Although she felt a bit displeased, she was also curious about what the other person was like.

“Hahaha. It’s been a long time since I met your son. I wonder what he looks like now.”

“Don’t worry, ah Ming. My son is as handsome as me in my youth.”

“Oh. That’s great. Haha.”

“I think this matchmaking will be successful.”

“Right. Right! Hahaha”

‘As handsome as him?’ Shen Yue thought. Being as curious as she was, Shen Yue quietly took a peck inside the living room where Wang Yu and her father were sitting. The moment she saw Wang Yu, she felt her knee buckled.

‘Oh lord,’ She shouted internally. The face she saw was a face of a scary gangster with a deep scar on his face. One of his hand was holding a glass of whiskey, while the other hand was about to put a cigarette into his mouth.

‘Does that mean his son is also like this?’ Shen Yue shuddered at the thought. Although she wasn’t that great, she still had decent look and decent family background. She couldn’t believe that her father wanted to match her with a son of a gangster.

Shen Yue ran quietly to her room, locked the door, and stood with her back on the door to calm herself down. As her breathing became calm, her eyes fell on her laptop. She quickly went to grab her laptop and typed Wang Yu’s name in the search engine. The pictures of the said man appeared all over her screen. She navigated through the site until she came across a name.

‘Wang Hedi’

She searched the name, but no pictures or trusted information popped up. All she found were various rumors about the said man. Some said Wang Hedi was mysterious because he controlled everything in the dark, while his father managed their business on the bright side. Other said he’s just like his father, a scary man. Those who came across him would be threatened to keep their mouth shut, or suffer serious consequences.

Shen Yue abruptly shut her laptop and let out a deep sigh. There’s no way she would marry this man. She then thought of her escape.

In the next few days, Shen Yue was very obedient when her father told her about the dinner. She even bought a new dress for the occasion. No one realized what she was about to do on the dinner day.

More importantly, Shen Yue didn’t realize she missed an important part of the conversation when she ran to her room after eavesdropping on her father and Wang Yu that day.

“Oh my goodness” Wang Yu put out his cigarette in the ashtray and continuously coughed

“It’s been a while since I quitted smoking because my wife and my children don’t like it. They said it’s not good for my health.” He continued.

“Oh, sorry, brother! I thought you still enjoyed smoking; that’s why I bought this especially for you.” Shen Ming said.

“Nevermind. Talking about that, my son is very strange. He rarely even drinks and only takes some alcohol during business events…totally different from me. Sometimes ah Hsu even jokingly asks me if I just picked ah Di up from under a bridge or something.” Wang Yu laughed

“Hahahaha. Ah Di totally took after ah Lin.” Shen Ming laughed

“Hahaha. You’re right.”

 

Shen Yue obviously did not hear that when she packed her luggage and planned her escape.