Chapter 11

My Sweet Revenge, Love

Dylan brought Yueyue to a restaurant specialized in Shanghai cuisine. He told her that he missed the taste of home, and she smiled widely at that because she hadn’t had Shanghai food for a long time as well. Dylan smiled when he saw her smile. Actually, he’s kind of lying to her. He just had Shanghai food around a week ago, so he didn’t crave it that much. He just brought her there because he thought she would love it.

“Here, eat more,” Dylan said as he put a piece of beggar’s chicken in Yueyue’s bowl.

“Thank you,” Yueyue smiled shyly at him, “you should eat, too. Here.” She picked up a piece of braised pork belly for Dylan. He just smiled warmly at her and nodded.

“Thank you. You’re so small, so you should eat a lot more. Maybe it’ll help you grow taller,” Dylan said with a mischievous grin.

Yueyue was about to thank him again, but then she halted. Did he just for being short?

“Hey, did you just say that I’m short?” Yueyue glared at him.

“Did I? When?” Dylan feigned ignorance.

“You clearly said it earlier!” Yueyue pouted. Dylan just chuckled at her cute expression. He hoped he could see this every single day.

“Let’s eat before the food gets cold,” Dylan poured Yueyue a bowl of soup and gave it to her. Yueyue felt her heart flutter at the gesture. She thanked him and drank her soup quietly.

Dylan and Yueyue spent their dinner chatting and getting to know each other. Dylan found out that Yueyue enjoyed reading books in her free time, and she liked a Taiwanese band, Mayday. Yueyue also learned that Dylan played basketball and loved hip hop music.

“Actually, I’m not the only child. I have an older brother,” Yueyue said with a smile when she told him about her family.

“Oh, how is he like?” Dylan asked out of curiosity. He had met her brother once at their failed dinner, but he didn’t really have a chance to get to know him.

“He’s so annoying!” Yueyue giggled, as she thought of her brother. “He’s very protective of me and always scares away people around me,” she pouted.

“He was losing his mind when I ran to Beijing. You know what, he scolded me for almost an hour when I talked to him on the public phone! He said that he would have come to drag me back home if he didn’t have to return to London immediately for his MA.” Yueyue giggled at the thought.

“Look like he really loves you,” Dylan chuckled.

“He does. I’m really lucky to have him as my brother,” Yueyue smiled fondly, “What about you, Dylan? Are you the only child?”

“No, I have an older sister,” Dylan laughed.

“Oh, how is she like?” Yueyue perked up at his answer. That was the first time he opened up about his family to her. Talking about that, she really didn’t know anything much about him and his family.

“She’s a strong independent woman. I really look up to her. However, she’s very scary,” Dylan let out a chuckle.

“How so?” Yueyue smiled, feeling amused.

“I used to rebel a lot when I was young. My parents would educate me, but they were often away for business, so I spent most of my time with my sister. Whenever she knew that I rebelled, she would beat up me and told me not to do that again. My parents are even scared of her sometimes. And you know what? Later I found out that it was my best friends who sold me out to her,” Dylan laughed, and Yue also giggled along with him. Then he let out a contented sigh.

“If it weren’t for my sister, my parents, and my best friends; I would have fallen into a dark path now,” Dylan smiled with gratitude at the thought. However, he then had a look of sadness in his eyes. Yueyue noticed that, so she put her hand on top of his. She didn’t know the reason behind his sad look, but she knew that she wanted to comfort him.

Dylan looked their hands before looking at her with a sad smile.

“Something happened. I haven’t talked with my parents for a while now,” Dylan sighed. He couldn’t believe that he actually opened up to her this easily. He felt her squeezing his hand softly.

“I don’t know what happened, but I believe that you should talk to them. Maybe everything will be resolved by that,” Yueyue smiled while making eye contact with Dylan, “maybe we should stop running away from things now.” It seemed like Yueyue said this to both Dylan and herself.

Dylan and Yueyue said nothing after that and just stared at each other, with their hands holding onto each other for comfort. They remained that way until Dylan finally smiled wider and nodded his head. He might call her stupid, but at times like this, she could be so mature and reliable that he couldn’t help but feel awed and proud.

‘One day I will also let you know everything, but not now. Not yet. But soon,’ Dylan thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After enjoying their dinner, Dylan took her to a park for a night walk. It was almost midnight by the time they arrived there, so there were only a few people left in the park. It’s just perfect for a relaxing walk. They stopped in front of a big fountain. Yueyue closed her eyes and enjoyed the breeze. She felt so much happiness tonight.

Dylan looked at the small girl in front of him. Her eyes were closed, and her smile was wide. As he kept looking at her, he felt himself smiling warmly as well. Then he saw her chuckled and slowly opened her eyes.

“What are you laughing about?” Dylan asked with a warm smile.

“It’s nothing, just some stupid thought,” She chuckled again, looking ahead at the fountain.

Dylan raised an eyebrow at her answer, “care to explain?”

She smiled before turning to look at him in the eyes, “I feel as if we’re on a date today.” She let out another laugh before shaking her head slightly at her stupid thought.

“Since when are we not on a date?” Dylan grinned. 

------------------------------------

Here comes a short update! :D Actually, I wrote too much for this chapter, so I had to split it into two, or else it'd be too long. ^^" I'll post the other half tomorrow. This chapter is more about getting to know each other, so it's not that exciting. Hope you don't find it boring. Thank you!!