First Date

SpartAce Oneshots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jong Kook's heart was threatening to burst out of his chest as he stood there, a tiny box in his hand wrapped with bows that contained a gift. He was waiting for her, and with every second that passed his heart beat even faster. All those years of healthy living, diet, and exercise were to be for naught. Apparently, that one woman was all it took to rid him of his ever-steady heartbeat. He could feel his lifespan shortening at the harsh intensity his heart was being made to work, pumping as hard as it was in his nervousness. 

And of course, that one woman was Song Ji Hyo.

Maybe, she had changed her mind about going on a date with him and he was getting stood up? Jong Kook was shocked she'd even said yes after all. He began to recall that memory, him asking her out, with a lot of embarrassment indeed. 

 

It had been after a filming of Running Man. The most convenient timing to ask her out, as meeting to film Running Man was their one constant time to meet up. He had finally made up his mind, after months and truth be told years of struggling with his feelings for her, he had gathered the courage to make the first move. His first move. 

"Oppa, is your ride here yet? Want to wait together?" Ji Hyo said affectionately as she walked towards him, smiling widely and warmly, enough to melt Jong Kook on the spot. He smiled back on reflex, unable to contain his happiness that Ji Hyo was the one who wanted to be with him. This was his perfect chance.

"Sure. There's a traffic jam going on, I heard. Want to sit on that bench over there?" Jong Kook suggested, pointing at the nearby bench next to the pickup point they were at. 

Ji Hyo nodded her head readily. "Yes please! My feet are killing me, especially with all the running we did today." 

Jong Kook's brow furrowed in concern. "Are you okay? I'll give you a foot rub. You shouldn't have pushed yourself so much."

Ji Hyo chuckled. "Says the man who pushes himself the most. Anyway, it was all worth it. We won today's couple race! Our first couple race as a team too!"

Jong Kook smiled, recalling the entire day very fondly. He'd been so happy to be Ji Hyo's partner that the scene where the PD announced him to be Ji Hyo's partner probably would've needed to get cut out. Or heavily edited. And they had won the couple race that day, as expected and feared by the other members.

"You're right, today was tiring but fun. And we got amazing prizes too. Thanks to you. Come on now, take out your shoe so I can give you a foot rub."

Ji Hyo took her shoe off cautiously, causing Jong Kook to feel slightly hurt. Did she not feel comfortable enough with him to let him give her a foot rub?

(Much much later in the future, he found out that the truth was Ji Hyo had been afraid that her foot might've smelled and did not want to put Jong Kook off. They were both idiots.)

Ji Hyo moaned and groaned in relief as Jong Kook began to rub her foot with the proper strength and expertise she never knew she needed. 

He chuckled. "Does that feel better?"

"Oh yes. Oppa, it feels amazing! How are you just good at everything? You should be a masseuse..."

Jong Kook welled up with pleasure at being complimented by Ji Hyo as he was. Warmth spread from his heart throughout his body. 

"Ah, this is nothing. As long as you feel better. If you ever need a foot rub you just have to ask, yeah?"

Ji Hyo nodded appreciatively, leaning her head back on the bench sprawled out wide as she moaned at the pleasure. Jong Kook blocked any inappropriate thoughts from surfacing in his mind. 

"Thank you... Jong Kook Oppa."

Her eyes were shut and she looked relaxed. Too relaxed. Uh oh. This was bad. He was planning to ask her out on a date, not rub her foot till she was on the verge of falling asleep! 

"Ji Hyo-yah, you still awake?" He asked apprehensively.

She cracked an eye open. It looked absolutely adorable. 

"Yeah? Don't worry, I won't fall asleep here. Though it's very tempting," she replied with a cheeky smile.

"Actually... There's something I wanted to ask you."

"What is it Oppa?" Ji Hyo's eyes were closed again. Well that was probably for the best. Had her eyes been open, those huge brown orbs staring at him would've made him chicken out.

"Do you... Do you wanna get dinner sometime?"

Ji Hyo's eyes opened wide and she sat up. 

"Dinner? You mean like right now?"

Jong Kook shook his head. This was bad. "No, not tonight."

"Oh. Then when? And what for? Not that I don't appreciate a good meal with my members every now and then but-"

"Ji Hyo I'm not talking about a dinner with the other members. I mean- I mean... Just the two of us. You and me." 

Jong Kook looked away. Had this been a mistake? Did Ji Hyo see him as nothing but a 'brother'?

"Just the two of us? Oh- oh." Ji Hyo pursed her lips, her face reddening as she blushed. "Oppa, are you asking me out on a date?"

The thought that Jong Kook would even want to ask Ji Hyo on a date had frankly never occurred to her. Her heart was beating ever so quickly in anticipation. The moment that she had never believed possible had arrived.

"Yes, yes I am. Maybe. Oh for goodness' sake, Song Ji Hyo, will you go out with me? I want to take you on a date. I promise I'll make it worth your while." He held himself back from saying the word 'please', but his tone itself spoke of desperation and an obviously begging man. 

Ji Hyo had not replied. Her face was partially hidden by her hand and her heart was beating so fast she could barely hear herself think. Jong Kook was obviously looking away out of fear that he'd get rejected and as the milliseconds ticked by with no reply he was getting so very scared. Maybe it would be best to take it all back, pretend he was just joking-

And then Ji Hyo planted a kiss on his lips.

It was just a peck, sudden, and a little out of nowhere. It shocked Jong Kook to the very core and frankly Ji Hyo herself was shocked at her brash actions. Her gaze was hidden away with a hand covering part of her face in utter embarrassment, unable to face Jong Kook who was staring starkly at Ji Hyo, his eyes wide, his cheeks hot, and his lips stinging from the little kiss he had received from Ji Hyo. It was strange really, how one tiny peck on the lips had such a huge impact on him. 

His heart was pumping wildly again, and Jong Kook was unable to form any words, and Ji Hyo was still hiding herself from him. Silence hung in the air.

"So I guess that means-"

"Yes I'll go on a date with-"

Funnily enough, when they both decided to finally speak, they spoke simultaneously, and when they both realized they were speaking simultaneously, they stopped to let each other continue at the same time too. This caused them to burst out in laughter at the situation.

Ji Hyo sat upright and put her shoes back on, as Jong Kook had stopped massaging her feet on reflex the moment she had- well you know, kissed him and all that. 

"Sorry. Didn't know what came over me just now. But yes, I want to go out on a date with you." Ji Hyo said very matter-of-factly, making Jong Kook smile again.

"Don't be sorry for that kiss. I'm grateful for it. I kind of liked it too."

And he kind of wanted to kiss Ji Hyo even more now. Maybe even make out a little. But they were still in a semi-public place. And yeah, no one was around, but that didn't mean he could just make out with her willy-nilly. He'd just asked her out on a date. It'd be inappropriate. 

Just then, Ji Hyo's ride arrived. They both groaned internally, but it would be rude to keep their hardworking staff waiting. 

"I'll see you... then Oppa. I'll see you then." Ji Hyo winked, before rushing towards the car.

As she dashed away, Jong Kook realized that she had left something on the bench, it dropped out of her pocket maybe. Jong Kook was about to call out to Ji Hyo to retrieve her dropped item, but when he realized it was one of the pair of golden couple bracelets they had won that day in the couple race, he decided to keep it and an idea for a little gift to give Ji Hyo on their date formed in his mind as he smiled to himself. 

 

"Oppa!" Jong Kook heaved a sigh of relief when he heard the familiar voice of Ji Hyo ringing through the air. So she had not stood him up after all. His heart slowed down to its usual pace.

...Only to speed up way more again when he turned around and saw Ji Hyo walking towards him. 

But he couldn't really blame himself for that. Ji Hyo looked beautiful. 

She was dressed 'casually', as he was, but an effort had been put in to the way Ji Hyo styled herself. She'd wanted to look nice, and she looked downright drop-dead gorgeous. 

She had on a cute pair of shorts, styled to look like cut jeans and a white pair of platform sneakers. She was adorned with a few simple accessories, and her shirt had a simple yet elegant style to it. And it may have been a bit figure-hugging in all the right places. Ji Hyo's hair had been curled slightly more than usual and her lips had on a pretty shade of lipgloss. 

She was one of a kind. 

But of course, Ji Hyo could have waltzed in wearing a trash bag and Jong Kook's breath would've been taken away all the same. 

And come to think of it, maybe Ji Hyo wouldn't look so bad in a trash bag. Worn properly and tightened in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter