A Bit of Life

Karaoke

The store was quiet. The night was quiet, with only a few cars passing by. Kang Seulgi was getting tired, hour by hour. Her work as a dance teacher had ended and she signed up for a job at a convenience store. That's when the door opened and a man came in, panting, sweaty. "Hello," he greeted. Seulgi squinted her eyes at the man. He seemed familiar. He was looking at the most unusual things: condoms.

It was awkward and silent. The man grabbed regular condoms and went to go buy some water. He then silently walked over to the cash register, startling Seulgi. The man looked at Seulgi. He stared at her for a long time. 

"What's your name?" he asked. Seulgi looked up at him. "Seulgi. Kang Seulgi," she replied. The man nodded and then looked around the store. He stared at the alcohol section. Seulgi watched him as he walked over to the alcohol section, grabbed a bottle, and put it on the counter. "ID card?" Seulgi asked. The man chuckled and took out his wallet and gave his ID card to her. 

Jongin. Kim Jongin. That was his name. Seulgi finally remembered him from a few days ago when Wendy had startled Irene and her. "J-Jongin?" she stuttered, not realizing she called out his name. Jongin blinked and flashed his smile. "Yes?" he asked sweetly, like a prince.

Seulgi smiled back and scanned his things and then gave it back to him in a bag. "N-nothing. Bye." Jongin smiled and walked out of the store. Seulgi sighed. Not another customer now. She wasn't making much money this way. 

Jongin was walking into the parking lot, tired. He didn't know who that girl was but he felt a burden. He didn't know what was this tingly feeling inside of him. He felt like he knew her before. Kang Seulgi.... what a lovely name, he thought, smiling. He didn't even know that he was smiling. 

Maybe she was from highschool..... maybe she's on the dance team...., Jongin couldn't stop thinking about her. He then remembered Joohyun. His girlfriend in highschool. His precious girlfriend. Jongin felt his heart flutter more with Seulgi. Jongin bit his lip as he started his engine and left the parking lot, not aware of his own feelings. He then remembered his condoms. He had a date tonight with a girl. Her name was Irene, though she resembled Joohyun greatly.

"Maybe Joohyun changed her name?" Jongin mumbled to himself. He stopped at a red light and laid back. He was tired from the traveling that he did with his dad, Kim Heechul. Heechul was a such a nosy person. He would go into Jongin's room and see if he brought any girls or boys home and see if he was "naughty". Jongin wasn't really that kind of person, thought he does do things like that. He had a one night stand with someone he barely knew before.

But Seulgi made him feel love, not lust. He felt his heart fluttering and his stomach full of butterflies and his mind was clogged with thoughts of her. He wanted to make love to her like none other had before. "God damn it.... I think I love you, Kang Seulgi!"

Jongin was getting impatient with the red light.

As Jongin started driving again, he thought of his precious Joohyun. How delicate she was, she was a goddess. Jongin smiled at the thought of her. He wanted to hold her in his arms and give her kisses and shower her with love. 

But it won't be neither Seulgi or Joohyun that costs him his life.

--

Seulgi walked home, tired. She opened the door to her house and sighed heavily. There was someone inside her house, playing games. "!" someone exclaimed, obviously frustrated (and a sore loser). Someone next to the person laughed. "I beat you Yeri! Now where's my money?" the girl asked. Seulgi walked into the living room to discover two teenagers playing games.

"What the--"

Before Seulgi could say anything, Yeri had grabbed a baseball bat and smacked her hard in the face, striking a hard blow. And that made Seulgi stumble, fall, and faint. 

--

"Yeri, you idiot! Why are you such a sore loser?" a girl asked. Yeri growled. "Well, Sooyoung, if you didn't win so much, I wouldn't have striked Joohyun's girlfriend's face!" she argued back. Sooyoung scoffed. Yeri and Sooyoung yelled at each other endlessly.

Seulgi groaned, making the two freeze. Yeri and Sooyoung had put a band-aid on Seulgi's nose and wipe her blood and wet her face, all while she was unconscious. Seulgi was annoyed, and when she opened her eyes, she saw two teenage strangers. She screamed and Sooyoung had to lean in and cover . Seulgi was still screaming, her voice piercing Yeri's ears. 

"Okay, okay! We get it, damn!" Yeri shouted. Seulgi was panting as Sooyoung took a step back from her. Seulgi blinked and recognized Yeri. "You're that teenager who wanted to have a job at my karaoke!" Seulgi exclaimed, pointing to Yeri. Yeri smiled and nodded. She then turned to Sooyoung and wrapped her arm around her. Sooyoung giggled.

Sooyoung then moved away, causing Yeri to fall and growl. Seulgi tilted her head. "Are you okay?" Seulgi asked. Yeri nodded and stood up. "This is Sooyoung, by the way," Yeri introduced. Seulgi looked up, and there was Sooyoung, flashing her beautiful smile. Seulgi raised an eyebrow.

"O....kay..."

Yeri smiled and then touched Seulgi's nose. "You think Joohyun would be proud if we watched her?" Yeri asked Sooyoung. Sooyoung shrugged. "Whatever you like," Sooyoung replied, not caring.

That's when Seulgi's phone rang. Seulgi saw the two walking over to her phone and screamed. "No, no! Please don't answer it!" she pleaded, but Yeri and Sooyoung smirked when they saw who was calling. "Oooh? Irene, eh?"  they asked, fascinated. They turned to look at Seulgi. "Is she a player or what?" Sooyoung whispered as they pressed the green button to answer it. Seulgi groaned when she heard Irene's voice on the phone.

"JOOHYUN!" Sooyoung shouted. There was a pause on the phone. "Hello?" Irene's voice asked from the phone. Yeri chuckled. "Are you looking for Seulgi?" Yeri asked. The phone was silent. "Yes," Irene replied. Yeri nodded and handed the phone over to Seulgi. "For you," Yeri presented like a servant and that made Seulgi laugh.

"Seulgi?" Irene asked. Seulgi hummed in response. She could hear Irene gulp. "Get over here, a-at the school, I-I want to live, I sw...swear, th-this man! H-he's chasing me, h-help!"

(Two chapters for my long hiatus. Sorry!)