New

Karaoke

Bae Joohyun, or known as Irene, goddess of peace, was not an ordinary girl. Her father had always wanted her to major in psychology or arts and craft, but she majored in dancing and singing. Unfortunately, she was born raw, basically, she was an amateur singer and dancer. When she was in her classes, she would think of herself as unskilled and untalented. She would make mistakes very often and feel stressed after college. 

It was until Irene and her colleagues, Son Seungwan or known as Wendy since she often speaks to native speakers and Kim Yongsun, or known as Solar since she was basically a shining star. Irene was always jealous of Solar since she was better at dancing and singing than her. Wendy, unfortunately, is a worse dancer but better vocalist. Anyways, it was until Irene, Wendy, and Solar went to Irene's favorite karaoke place that Irene's life completely flipped from "unskilled" and "untalented" to love. 

* * *

Irene had already stepped inside the karaoke. Wendy and Solar came running in after getting some bread. "Seriously Irene, you HAVE to try this bread!" Wendy said, chewing on her bread. Irene rolled her eyes. "Wendy, no one eats more than you, seriously....." Wendy laughed.... WITH FULL OF BREAD. "EWWWW!" Solar exclaimed, laughing after. Wendy laughed too. Irene shrugged.

"Can we start singing now? We're going to be late for the free 1 hour stay," Irene said. Wendy looked at Solar and shrugged as they both followed Irene to Room 4. Irene immediately noticed the microphone and grabbed it. "Hey, why is the mic newer than before?" Irene asked. "And where's that 16-year old... what's her name again? Kim Yeri?" Wendy shrugged and Solar sighed. "Irene, maybe they just bought newer mics." Irene couldn't decipher why they would. The owner was a man named Lee Donghae. Donghae usually preferred having old microphones because they gave him "old memories."

Irene gasped. "Wh-what if they.... changed.... changed the owner?!" Irene asked, horrified. Solar laughed. "Oh wait, you might be right," Wendy said, pointing to a piece of paper on the wall. Irene turned around ASAP and examined the sheet of paper. "Oh my gosh......," Irene muttered, facepalming herself. Solar shrugged. "Well, it's still your favorite karaoke, right?" Solar asked. Irene looked at her phone. "I don't... know...." Wendy smiled.

"How about we go and sing at my favorite karaoke?" Wendy asked. Solar groaned. "NO WAY! My karaoke is way better than yours, after all, they serve free beer from 10 pm to 1 am." Wendy rolled her eyes.

"Hey! Don't think I didn't see that!" Solar yelled. Wendy giggled. "I did it because I expected you to see that." Solar was speechless. Her jaw was left wide open. Irene's eyes widened. "Oooh.... burn...," Irene replied. Solar sighed. "Yeah, that one actually stang me, Queen Bee." Wendy rolled her eyes again. Irene smiled. "Well, so.... let's start singing?" Irene asked.

Wendy smiled and took the mic and stuffed her bread into Irene's mouth. "Watch me." Wendy was very full of confidence. "What song should I--?" Wendy was cut off by someone opening the door. 

Irene's eyes widened.... very wide. It was a girl. A monolid girl with a very charming smile Irene must say. "Oh hi. My name's Kang Seulgi, the new owner of this karaoke place. I'm 24 years old and I majored in singing and dancing when I was 23. Nice to meet you," the so-named Seulgi introduced herself. Irene was hesitant to accept Seulgi's handshake. There was something about the girl with monolids. "H-hi. I'm Bae Joohy-Irene. I'm... 28..... and I'm majoring in singing and dancing... too...." 

Seulgi flashed her charming smile and firmly took Irene's hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you. Have you ever had any business in your room?" Seulgi asked calmly. Irene was a little taken aback by the random question. "W-what?!" Irene was a little shocked. Seulgi laughed. "Nevermind that. See you three." She waved goodbye to Solar, Wendy, and a blushing Irene.

"Oooooh, Irene. You think the new owner is hot?" Wendy asked after seeing Irene's flustered and blushing expression. Irene's face turned red. But not because of anger, but because of her little crush on Kang Seulgi. "W-well... sure... whatever you girls call it. I think she's hot but we just met!" Irene replied. Solar smirked. "I think Irene wants more than friends." Irene gulped.

"C-can we just SING?!" Irene asked, changing the subject. As Solar grabbed the mic, she turned to look at Irene. "Irene, I want to tell you something," Solar said. Irene and Wendy turned to her. "Not you, Wendy." Wendy rolled her eyes once more. "Anyways, Irene. Please be more confident of your dance and vocal skills. You might even learn rapping!" Solar comforted. Irene smiled.

"Thanks...."

"No problem," Solar quickly replied. Wendy raised an eyebrow. "Anyways, what are you going to sing, Irene?" Wendy asked while she was scrolling through the charts. "Oh! Oh! Ailee!" Solar answered back. Wendy squinted her eyes at the screen. "Are you serious? Her vocals are too good and strong for me...," Irene said. Solar sighed. "Look, you and me will sing together... and maybe Wendy will bump in." Wendy smiled.

"I got the perfect song. AND THIS SONG IS DEDICATED TO KANG SEULGI FROM BAE IRENE!" Wendy shouted loudly into the mic she snatched from Solar's hands. Solar rolled her eyes like Wendy. "W-wait, dedicate--?!" Irene was cut off by Solar singing. Solar winked at Irene. Irene just groaned and sat down as Wendy snatched the mic and everyone's wigs.

* * *

Seulgi exited out of Room 4. She had just met 3 beautiful girls, but one stood out. "Ugh, who is she?!" Seulgi muttered. Seulgi was walking in the hall until she bumped into one of her co-workers, Park Bogum. "Ah, Kang Seulgi, the one and only," Bogum greeted, winking. Seulgi laughed nervously. "Where are you heading off to?" Seulgi suddenly asked. Bogum shrugged.

"There's an old staff named Kim Yeri that still wants to work here." Bogum handed the papers to Seulgi, knowing she'll ask for them. Seulgi thanked Bogum and inspected the papers. "Ah, Bogum-ssi?!" Seulgi yelled as Bogum was exiting. "Yes?" Bogum answered. Seulgi smiled. "Hire her. I would have no personal problem with her here."

Bogum gave a thumbs up to Seulgi and Seulgi inspected the papers once more. Just as Seulgi was about to go back to work, she heard the funniest thing ever. "AND THIS SONG IS DEDICATED TO KANG SEULGI FROM BAE IRENE!" one of the girls in Room 4 shouted. Seulgi laughed softly to herself. 

Bae Irene.... such a beautiful name. But Seulgi remember what Irene had stuttered before. She had nearly said another name.... Seulgi doesn't remember quite well, though. Seulgi walked upstairs to floor 2 of the karaoke. Seulgi sighed as she sat down in her office chair. It was quiet, calm. Unlike the actual karaoke downstairs. "More paperwork. What for? The previous owner barely did paperwork and managed to earn money. Am I too business-like? So much for majoring in singing and dancing, Seulgi," Seulgi told herself. 

Just as Seulgi was about to sign Kim Yeri's papers, someone barged in her room.

Seulgi immediately smiled at the sight of who the person was.

"YOU! Kang Seulgi! I demand an answer on why you bought this karaoke NOW!" Irene shouted.