Chapter 2

His Girl

 

I was in class looking through a newspaper. I was searching for a job but cant to seem to find one. I gave up and threw the newspaper on the floor and put my head on my table.

“Don’t litter”

I looked to my left and saw my best friend Luna picking up the newspaper and throwing it in the bin.

“I need a job” I whined. She laughed at me and sat on her seat which was next to mine.

“Are you that desperate to get money?” she asked. I nodded my head.

“Then just ask your boyfriend for money” she said.

I gave her a look “Seriously. You know I don’t like asking people for money” I told her.

She shrugged her shoulders “Fine. Have you been to any café’s lately I bet there looking” she told me.

I nodded and told myself to look round in town.

“Ya! Riley!”

Me and Luna looked up and saw the school Queenka walking towards us.

“What does she want now” I heard Luna mumble.

She stood in front of me and gave me a dirty look while I smiled at her.

“Hello Jieun unnie” I said.

“Don’t you hello me. Who do you think you are stealing my man!” this caused everyone’s attention. Everyone in the class looked in our direction and started whispering.

I really don’t need this.

“I didn’t steal anyone’s man” I said emphasising the man.

“Bang Yongguk was mine and you decided to come and take him away from me!” she shouted.

“Fine do you want proof?”

She nodded. I took out my phone and called Yongguk.

“Yobsaeyo”

“Oppa I need to ask you something oh and you’re on loud speaker by the way” I said.

“Okay what’s up?” he asked.

“Were you in any kind of relationship with Jieun unnie?” I asked. I looked over at Jieun and saw her smirk expecting to get the answer that she wants.

“Ani. I was just playing with her, why?”

Jieun’s smirk turned into a frown and her face turned red. “YA BANG YONGGUK WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WERE JUST PLAYING WITH ME?! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE”

“That was why” I said. I heard Luna laughing which caused everyone else to laugh. Jieun looked at me “This is not over” with that she left the room.

I put my phone off speaker phone and told Yongguk I would call him later.

The whole day Luna talked about how embarrassed Jieun unnie must have bee. As she kept talking about it I started to feel bad. I mean it is her fault for pushing my buttons.

It was the end of the day and I was walking in town looking for a job. I’ve been to 5 cafés and they all rejected me or weren’t looking. I was about to give up until I saw a cute but familiar café at the end of the street. I walked in the café and walked towards the counter.

There was no one in here so I tapped the bell. A guy with blond hair came in from the kitchen showing me his back. He seemed to be holding boxes. He put it down and looked up at me.

“Himchan?!”  What was he doing here?

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I was going to ask the same thing” I said.

“Wait do you work here?” I asked.

He smiled “I own this place” he said sounding to proud.

“No seriously do you work here?” I asked again not believing him. This guy is to full of himself.

“Chinja! This café is mine!” he argued. I just waved my hands “Yeah sure, hey can I work here?” I asked changing the subject. Before he could say anything we heard boxes fall on the floor. We looked up and saw Daehyun standing there.

“Aish! Daehyun be care full man.” Himchan said while picking up the boxes. I came over to help them.

“Daehyun you work here as well?” I asked him. He nodded, Himchan looked at him weirdly. “What you can’t speak now?” he said. Daehyun was about to punch him but he looked at me and dropped his arm.

After we finished cleaning up Himchan looked at me.

“Fine you can work here” he said.

“Really?!”

“But”

Oh great.

“You have to believe that I own this café” he said. Not this again, he’s properly a manager but owning a damn café at his age? Well actually that’s possible.

“Fine whatever” I said.

“You still don’t believe me? Ya Daehyun don’t I own this place?” he asked him. Daehyun looked at us and nodded. Himchan frown at him “why are you not speaking?” he asked Daehyun.

Daehyun just shrugged and walked in the kitchen.

Himchan started rubbing his temples “That boy gives me a head ache” he said to himself mostly.

“You can start next week” he told me.

“Actually can I start today I really need the money” I pleaded him. He gave me a weird look but let it go and told me I could start.

The café wasn’t entirely busy but people came in and out and I got to do some stuff in the kitchen with Himchan. Well mostly me watching him cook and order me around.

I walked out the kitchen and saw Daehyun leaning against the counter looking bored. It was 8 o’clock so not many people were around now.

Out of everyone else he’s the one that has been more distant from me. I wonder why.

“So when do we close up?” asked him. He turned to look at me and said something. Because of his mask I didn’t hear it well so I walked towards him.

“What?”

“I said in 30 minutes. The store closes early on week days” he said. I nodded and then there was an awkward silence. I seem to be getting a lot of those with him.

“Why are you so desperate to get money?” he asked me out of the blue.

I looked at him. “I mean if you need money shouldn’t you ask Yongguk?” he said.

Why does everyone keep telling me to go to him?

“I just need the money now. And I don’t want to ask Yongguk for money I rather earn it than ask someone for it.” I told him. He nodded like he understood me. Well did he?

I looked at him and noticed that he was still wearing that mask. Why would he wear that anyways? He has a nice face well from what I remember.

“Hey Daehyun, why do you always wear that mask?” I asked.

He looked at me and just walked into the kitchen. Himchan walked out of it and saw my shocked facial expression,

“What’s up with you?” he asked.

“Did I offend him or something?” I asked while pointing at the kitchen door. Himchan looked at the door and then back at me.

“Did you ask about his mask?”

I nodded.

“Don’t worry he’s always like that. Anyways here is your money” Himchan handed me a white envelope which contained the money.

“Thank you so much Himchan I promise you that you won’t regret hiring me” I smiled at him. He told me that my shift was over and that I could go home now. I packed up my stuff and got a buss home.

I walked towards the landladies’ house and knocked on her door.

“Ajumma, I can pay for my rent now! Can you please give back my key?” I said while knocking on the door. The woman opened her door and looked at me. I gave her the money and I watched her count it.

“I’m surprised you were able to get this in one day” she said. She went inside her house and came back holding the key.

“If your rent is late again I will change the locks again and will make sure that all your stuff is out of the place arraso!” she said while giving me a dirty look.

“Arraso” I smiled at her. She slammed the door and my smile just dropped.

I walked up the stairs to my small apartment. I opened the door and closed it behind me when I got in. I took off all my outdoor gear and walked toward the living room.

“Omma I found a job! This means I won’t find it hard to pay for rent and food. And I actually like where I’m working for once. My boyfriend Yongguk’s friend owns the place so I think I will stay there for awhile.” I took the picture frame of my mum and looked at it.

“I better get ready and sleep school tomorrow. Goodnight omma” I put the picture frame back where it was and got ready for bed.