Something's amiss

Our dawn is hotter than day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungcheol followed the slow trickle of condensation on his iced coffee; it was French vanilla – a tad sweet and bitter which was perfect for his taste buds. His drink has been sitting on the table untouched for so long, its ice cubes had already turned into water. His name was scrawled clumsily by the barista. They’d written his name wrongly even after he’d kindly spelled it out for them when they had asked. It’s S.Coups, not Scoops – you know, like Coup d’état with the first letter of his name.

A sigh then escaped from his lips. He mulled over the origin of his nickname. He could hardly remember where he’d gotten it or even why he had such an alias; maybe Jun and Jisoo had made it up like their princess moniker for him. He honestly couldn’t remember at all.

His eyes then made its way to the hubbub outside the window. He was at a café just outside Hanyang, so the streets were crazily busy and abuzz with youth. Students were walking past, books in hand and hurrying towards their classes. Some were talking on their phone whilst some were chatting with their friends. Various emotions played out in front of him, piquing his curiosity.

A girl on a white dress was dragging her boyfriend along the streets, her expression clearly mad. Did she see the guy flirting with someone else? Or was she just throwing a tantrum?

The waiter from the restaurant in front was out for a smoke again. That was his tenth stick already since his shift started just two hours ago. Maybe the customers today were too hard to handle.

He heard the bells to the café’s door ring. An old man had just entered, a known professor from the College of Engineering. He’d talked to the professor a couple of times when the elder visited the observatory where Seungcheol has been working part-time. He always liked stopping by at the café for their chocolate cakes. He has an oddly and amusingly huge sweet tooth to be quite honest.

A group of girls were giggling by the table near the cashier. Their books were set aside, lain forgotten. It seemed like they’re gossiping about something on their phones. Or maybe they’re just texting each other about the couple fighting right across from them – he’d honestly never know.

Seungcheol stared at his drink again. He grabbed the cup and finally took a tiny sip of his diluted drink. He sifted his fingers through his hair, his thoughts turning pensive as he glanced out of the window.

Students were busy studying. Employees were busy working. Everyone seemed to be going through their lives just fine – unlike him. Like fishes in a pond, they’re moving on swimmingly well – unlike him. They’re thriving, passionate, and courageous – unlike him. Seungcheol’s honestly a little envious.

He had started in Hanyang in August; it’s now December. The past four months had somehow gone by in a quick blur for him. Though his days dragged on slowly and frustratingly, in some way, it passed by quickly without him noticing. Time had become such a strange concept for him lately.

He’d then lie awake at night in his bed for hours, staring at the ceiling and thinking over the events for the day.

Did something signifi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter