Ch 2

The King Of My Heart

Shindong saw Sungmin and Kyuhyun hiding behind a few barrels of wine. He crouches down with them. They were still in their costumes, and were very sweaty, probably from all the running they have to do. Shindong folds his map of stars and tucks it in inside his vest.

 

“Let’s go back to the base,” Shindong suggests. “Someone’s probably made it there already.”

Kyuhyun picks up his instrument and shoulders it. “How much did you get?”

Shindong laughs. “Oh man, I have a lot. I got some gold coins!”

Sungmin’s eyes widen. “Seriously?”

Shindong giggles with them. “Yup! We’re going to be eating well!”

 

Kyuhyun frowns when a food vendor yelled, “Thief!”

~

Donghae’s stomach growled. He keeps thinking about Eunja, who turned out to be a man. He was so shocked. He was tricked, but deep down, he didn’t really mind. He still wanted to know her-no-him. On his way to the palace, he finds a small restaurant and decides to eat there instead. The lights aren’t dim enough, but he barely shows his face to the public, so he doesn’t think anyone will recognize him.

 

He orders a simple meal and finishes it quickly. Heechul could be looking for him, but he just usually lets him wander around.

 

When the bill came, Donghae pats his clothes furiously.

 

~

Eunhyuk walked quickly, keeping his head low. It was getting late, and the others would be waiting for him so they can start the nightly rounds. He tightens his jacket together, and continues to move through a thicker crowd. He pats people’s pockets and opened their sacks without giving himself away. The sky is starting to turn into a mix of pink and purple, and he slows down to admire it.

 

He opens his hand and reveals a hair clip studded with expensive jewels. He estimates in his mind what each jewel might cost, and he continues to walk. He stops by food stands to grab some quick dinner, stuffing his mouth with whatever he can get his hands on while the owner is not looking.

 

He grabs an orange, and when he attempted to take a tray of strawberries, the owner of the food stand he is currently robbing turns around. Their eyes meet, and Eunhyuk swallows a strawberry.

 

“Thief!”

 

Eunhyuk flips a whole table of fruits and ran, shoving nobles and ladies to make a path.

 

He was fast, but he wasn't that strong.

 

A muscular man shows up and grabs him by the arm. He attempts to shake it off, but he was too tired and hungry to even put up a fight.

 

The man pats his robes, taking out the jewels and money that he stole from the other people.

 

~

Donghae pulls his legs towards him, and rests his head on top of his knees. Even if he says he is the prince, he doesn’t have anything to prove that. Well, he does have his ring that symbolizes that he is from the royal family, but no one even recognizes him. He was tired of yelling at the guards. Here in this cell, his words do not hold any power.

 

He catches the full moon through the barred window, and he curses inwardly. He really is unlucky. First, he gets swindled. Now, he’s in a cell, helpless. His teachers were right about him. He really is a fool. How can he become a king?

 

“I can walk into the cell myself!” Someone hissed.

 

Donghae looks up in surprise as a familiar face was shoved into the cell like a ragdoll. He immediately helps the person up as the cell behind them closes.

 

“Thanks,” the person murmurs.

Donghae peers into his face and offers him a kind smile. “What are you in here for?”

“Stealing food…” the person replies, keeping his head down. The shadows covered his face, but Donghae would recognize those sharp features.

“So, what is really your name?” Donghae asks. The back of his mind, the one that handles his conscience is screaming thief! Bad person!

 

The person looks up and narrows his eyes at him suspiciously. “Who’s asking?”

“No one. Just me. I thought you were Eunja.”

The person chuckles. “Do you know what Eunja really does?” He asks, his voice hard. He emphasizes really.

“No,” Donghae answered honestly.

He clears his throat. “Well, never mind then. You don’t need to know. Unless you’ve got money.”

 

Donghae frowns a little. “So what’s your name?”

“I’m...Eunhyuk.” He whispers.

Donghae shrugs. “I’m Donghae.”

“Donghae,” Eunhyuk repeats a little puzzled. Has this guy been living under a rock? Everyone knew the name Eunhyuk.

“Yeah, like the sea.” Donghae smiles. He watches Eunhyuk’s face, waiting for a reaction. Everyone knew the prince’s name.

Eunhyuk stares at his face, studying him. Then his eyes caught a silver gleam on Donghae’s ring finger.

 

Psst!

 

Eunhyuk shots up, and hauls himself up to the bars. He sees Sungmin, Shindong and Kyuhyun waving at him. Eunhyuk smiles.

 

“Well, prince. It’s been nice meeting you. I believe my friends have come to bail me out.”

 

Donghae frowns. “If you know I’m the prince, aren’t you going to help me?”

Eunhyuk laughs sarcastically. “I think you have the means to help yourself.”

 

With that, he pulls himself into the space of the bars. Donghae cursed loudly and rushed to the window after Eunhyuk jumped off.

 

They were gone.

 

Donghae glances at the full moon again. He resolves to find out more about Eunhyuk. He suddenly knew that he would meet him again.