Ch 3

The King Of My Heart

While Leeteuk and the others were distributing bags of rice to the villagers, Eunhyuk and Sungmin were out, scouting for susceptible houses. Sneaking past the guards and into officials’ houses and storage rooms without being detected was Eunhyuk’s specialty, but there were instances that they would get caught.

 

Eunhyuk stashes everything he can put his hands on inside a sack, and immediately makes an exit. He signals to Sungmin, and he gives the load to Sungmin. Then, Eunhyuk fishes out the paper he acquired from another house and painted his name on it. He sticks it on top of the door, and the two of them made a run for it. They go to the next house, and then to the next, marking each door with Eunhyuk’s name.

 

No one knows his face, but his name sends hope to the poor, and aggravates the rich.

 

~

The next morning, Donghae hears Eunhyuk’s name in his father’s court.

 

The officials were complaining about Eunhyuk stealing their goods, while the king listened carefully. Donghae inches a little closer, hoping to hear a little better.

 

“Your Highness, this has been going on for a while now,” one of the men in the court says. “Just tell us what you want us to do.”

 

The king stays silent.

 

Someone taps Donghae’s shoulder. The young prince jumps and turns.

 

“Hyung!” Donghae whispers harshly.

“Why are you here? Shouldn’t you be with teacher Jung learning some poetry?”

Donghae shrugs.

“Yah, who are you?” Heechul asks. “Donghae would never skip poetry class.”

“A class that consists only one student?”

 

The two heard footsteps growing louder. Heechul grabs Donghae and they quickly turned at the nearest corridor. Donghae peeks around the corner, trying to make out what was happening.

 

“Your Majesty, we found General Song’s belongings with these two men,” someone says. “They claimed they appeared in the middle of the night.”

 

Donghae started tiptoeing to hear more.

 

“We did not steal them! We promise!” One of the men begged.

“And we found this name among the belongings.”

 

“Eunhyuk…” The king says.

“That’s right, Your Majesty.”

The king makes a fist and slammed it on his throne’s armrest. “I thought we had the best soldiers. How come our best soldiers can’t catch one thief?”

“Your Majesty, no one knows how this Eunhyuk looks like.”

 

I do, Donghae thinks.

 

“Spread the word that I want this Eunhyuk’s head. Whoever finds him will get a reward,” the king commands.

 

~

Eunhyuk and the rest went into the capital again to perform in the streets. He was dressed as Eunja again, going around and attracting onlookers. The name Eunja is well-known by men, but they can never touch her, unless they paid for it. It was an idea that Leeteuk threw out, but Eunhyuk decided that he needed a day job where he can hide from the king.

 

While Kangin and Shindong are setting up the tightrope, Eunhyuk grabs the people’s attention by doing what he does best: dancing to the music Yesung and Ryeowook are creating. Sungmin is performing martial arts a little farther down the street, attracting little kids.

 

“Next, we have Kyuhyun and Shindong on the rope!” Leeteuk announces. He is wearing a funny but colorful hat today.

 

The two entertainers climbed up and balanced themselves on the rope. Eunhyuk gives it his all as he moves his body sinfully, leaving the men around him open mouthed. He smirks and they all cheered, throwing money. Leeteuk takes off his hat quickly and started collecting their keep.

 

Suddenly, the beat changes under a masked man’s work. It sounded angry, thunderous. Like a voice that sends out command to kill.

 

Kyuhyun and Shindong interprets this with their balanced dance on the tightrope. They swing, they jump, staging a fight. The crowd was under their command, gasping at the right places, laughing at the humorous actions. For the finale, they both jumped, and swung on the rope. Shindong lands with one foot balanced, and Kyuhyun climbs to his shoulders. The people hooted, and threw more money.

 

Another of their members climb on, holding an instrument with strings. He plays a sweet tune, dancing smoothly on top of the rope. His eyes are closed, feeling each note he plays.

 

The ladies nearby are swooning over him.

 

Eunhyuk puts on a handmade crown and makes his way under the tightrope. He whips out a fan and starts to dance with it. Leeteuk starts to narrate the tragic life of the late queen.

 

Eunhyuk plays a sick woman, portraying the worry of bearing a child under her condition. He plays a witness of the king’s downward spiral. Kangin comes in, taking the common people’s possessions, examining them, and throwing them at the queen.

 

The prince was born, but the queen doesn’t die because of that. She died when she tried to stop the king from hurting his people.

 

Leeteuk stops, knowing that the audience is flabbergasted. Then he announces the end.

 

The audience clapped, and some even wiped their eyes. There are still those who remember their queen.

 

“Thank you! Thank you!” Leeteuk said. He gathers s and they all bowed.

 

They were unaware that they were being watched by a supporter of the king.