Ch 9

The King Of My Heart

Every day begins to start like this. Donghae would wake up first, and he would watch Eunhyuk sleep. Or if Eunhyuk did not sleep, he would stay up with him, talking about the most random things. Eunhyuk wasn’t sure how to deal with the sudden noise that came into his life, but he was grateful for Donghae’s presence. He knew when to be by his side when others did not.

 

They would eat breakfast together, do errands together, even bathe together, where the two would pretend that they were not ogling each other at all. They spend so much time together that it makes Eunhyuk wonder if getting to know someone so well and so fast is healthy. His heart doesn’t really mind.

 

They would laugh together, share jokes. Donghae would like to keep him smiling because it makes the world a little brighter.

 

Donghae, Eunhyuk is starting to realize, is not at all royal and proper. He is clumsy, so big-hearted, and he has no tact. He doesn’t think about his actions, just does everything according to what he sees. Like when he saw soldiers harassing an old man. Donghae just went to fight those soldiers. He was skilled and all, but Eunhyuk wishes that Donghae had a plan at least.

 

Just like any other day, Donghae and Eunhyuk took up performing magic tricks in the streets.

 

Donghae would use a handkerchief and make things appear out of thin air, or would use a stick to conjure up flowers from an empty pot. The kids enjoyed it, so they kept doing it. Sometimes, they would even throw in a puppet show. All the money goes back to the people.

 

In the afternoons, if the streets are crowded enough, Donghae would feel Eunhyuk’s fingers against him. When it’s almost dark, he would feel brave enough to hold on to his hand.

 

Eunhyuk never says anything about it. He just ducks his head and smiles shyly.

 

~

Time passed and the group have almost crossed out every house that Donghae provided them with. They are now on their last house. This house is bigger and more secure than the other ones. Donghae had explained that guards rotate every four hours with five minutes in between. Officials had made their security tighter ever since Eunhyuk started looting the others consecutively.

 

Donghae has seen Eunhyuk in action many times now, but the sight never gets old. He moves with the shadows like second skin. Just as he brings light into a room, he takes it with him and snuffs it out as he pleases. This Eunhyuk is scary yet so beautiful. Donghae monitors him closely. They have been together so much that they are able to cover each other’s moves. He looks right and then left. He hears footsteps, meaning that the rotation is starting.

 

Eunhyuk stops to watch Donghae’s signal. He hears his tongue click, and a silhouette heads towards him.

 

“You have five minutes,” Donghae whispers. Under the moonlight, Eunhyuk’s carved face makes him look like a ghost.

Eunhyuk proceeds to lift himself up the wall. He opens it easily, and he feels Donghae push him.

 

He runs across the courtyard, using walls to press himself against when he hears the guards marching around. He doesn’t expect them to be around the storage but when he tries to make his way towards it, the sound of marching was heading towards him. He does not have enough time to take many things out. He breaks the lock on the storage recklessly and took whatever he can get his hands on.

 

“You there!” A guard yells at him.

 

Eunhyuk shoulders the mysterious sack, but it was heavier than he anticipated. He grits his teeth and jumped to get a hold of the storage’s wall. He starts to scale it and then he lifts himself up. He spots Donghae, who is looking at him with so much fear.

 

“Get down from there or we will shoot you!” The guard threatens. The storage room is now surrounded with guards.

 

Eunhyuk finds that his exits are blocked. Donghae is still within his sights.

 

“Not today, you won’t!”

 

His eyes go to the top of the wall and throws the load over. He knows that it is too far, and even if he makes it, the fall would still be long since he was at the highest part of the wall’s perimeter.

 

Eunhyuk jumps.