Ch 5

The King Of My Heart

Donghae could not keep his eyes off of Eunhyuk. He wasn’t even sure if he took a breath at all. He did not want the performance to end, but now that it did, it left him empty as he walked back to his room. The king announced that he liked the group so he assigned them a room where they can stay for the following days.

 

He gets changed quickly, and dismissed his attendants. He wants to snag a chance to meet Eunhyuk.

Someone was standing right outside the room the group was in.

 

Donghae stands there, unsure of what to do. Then he steps forward. “Announce me. I want to meet Eunja. Then please give us some privacy.”

 

The person looked nervous and bowed. “The Crown Prince is here to meet Eunja.”

 

He hears scuttling inside the room. Donghae pushes the door open and found Eunhyuk in new clothes. He stood in front of him, unable to speak. His eyes flutters to his outfit, a little confused.

 

“You called for me?”

“Where are your companions?”

“Out.”

“Aren’t you done being Eunja?”

“It’s a job. Now, I’d hate to take off my clothes just when I put them on, but since-”

 

Donghae stops Eunhyuk from fumbling his fingers on his clothing. “What? Excuse me?” Donghae splutters. He was surprised at what Eunhyuk is implying.

Eunhyuk stares at him. Donghae thinks his eyes are very pretty.

 

“I-I came here to warn you,” Donghae suddenly lowers his voice. He takes a quick glance at Eunhyuk’s face, then he looks away. He feels his face heating up, but he prays that it won’t show. “I never...I came to only talk to you.”

 

Eunhyuk’s fingers brushes against him. “Warn me about what?” Donghae thought he sounded a little breathless.

“My father is after you. You need to go. There’s a price for catching you too,” Donghae replies. He realizes that his hands are still on Eunhyuk’s chest.

“You’re not giving me away?”

 

“Why would I? You’re helping the people,” Donghae immediately says. He takes his hands off, and puts them behind his back. “I’ve heard stories of you...You’re a hero.”

Eunhyuk turns around. “Hardly.”

 

“How come? Those people you steal from, they deserve it.” Donghae says it with such conviction that it surprises Eunhyuk. “They’re hardly ever loyal.”

 

Eunhyuk’s head is spinning. He thinks, This prince has no one by his side.

 

“Okay,” Eunhyuk starts. “Give me a list of people then. We’ll make sure to pay them a visit.”

 

Donghae gives him a knowing smile. Eunhyuk tries not to think about the joyful light in his eyes.

 

~

“Hyung, my feet are tired,” Kibum complains. He wipes his forehead with his arm.

 

Sungmin sighed and relieved Kibum of his sacks. Siwon was walking ahead, pulling their heavy cart with determination. Sungmin knew he would not utter a word of complaint, but everyone is pretty exhausted. They still have more houses to visit. Zhoumi trailed behind, dragging his feet with all his strength.

 

“Okay, let’s take break here,” Sungmin finally decides. He lowers the the sacks he was carrying and placed it on the cart. He takes his water out and offers it to the young ones. He was too exhausted to think of a rescue plan for the others, so he tries to put his mind on the current mission.

 

“Sungmin hyung!” He hears a familiar voice.

 

Sungmin stands up with a start and looks to both directions of the dirt road. Night has completely fallen, and his stomach was rumbling.

 

“Hyung!” It sounded like Ryeowook.

 

Sungmin sees a lonely light on his left.

 

“Wook?” He calls out warily. The younger ones prepared their bodies in case they have to run.

 

He sees the other members running towards him. Sungmin squints, seeing a huge load behind them. He waits until everyone was near. He sees the load they were carrying: expensive looking vases, cabinets, pillows, silk sheets, clothes, food…

 

“Where did you get this?” Siwon asks in disbelief.

“The palace,” Leeteuk replies nonchalantly.

“The palace?” Zhoumi repeats ludicrously.

 

Leeteuk glances at the four who has been doing the nightly runs. “You four can take a break. We’ll take over from here.”

 

Hangeng walks over, handing them bowls of hot food. “Courtesy of the king.”

 

Everyone laughed.

 

~

Donghae stared after the space Eunhyuk left. He watched his back as he disappeared through the windows, taking all the light in the room with him. Apparently, he took all the things in the room with him too. Donghae felt so lonely looking at the room, but he couldn’t make his feet move. If his feet would move, it would be to follow Eunhyuk.

“Yah, what happened?!” He hears Heechul snap behind him.

He turns to him reluctantly.

“The guards are all over the place looking for these people! They stole a lot of things from the palace!” Heechul yelled.

 

Donghae wanted to laugh. He wants to fix his face before Heechul can spot the humor in his face.

 

“Do you know something?” Heechul eyes him suspiciously. His gaze was always intense, making him want to confess his secrets, but today, he has someone to protect.

“No, hyung. I came here to compliment their performance, but they were gone,” Donghae lies.

 

Heechul steps aside and gestures towards the door. “Let’s go get you to bed. It’s late.”

Donghae takes one more look at the room, and began walking slowly.

 

You’ve got some nerve, he says. He laughs a real laugh, something he has not done in a while.

And more, Eunhyuk offers. He turns towards the window and pushes it open. He blows the candle near him, and climbs over.

Will we meet again? Donghae calls after him.

Eunhyuk smiles fondly, and Donghae’s heart starts up again. Of course. 

 

“Don’t get caught, Eunhyuk,” Donghae murmurs, trying his name on his lips.

“What? What did you say?” Heechul asks, a little distracted by the footfalls of the guards running around outside.

“Nothing, hyung.”

 

That night, Donghae dreams of a certain thief. He dreams of hope and a better future.