Ch 14

The King Of My Heart

Donghae felt delirious. The moment that they threw Eunhyuk in the palace’s dungeon, Donghae rushes there, ordering the guards away. He does not know what to do when he sees Hyukjae lying on the floor, so beaten up. Donghae kneels on the cold floor of the dungeon, and reaches for Hyukjae’s hand. It felt so limp and so cold, that Donghae couldn’t help crying even more.

 

“Oh, Hyukkie,” Donghae whimpers.

“Donghae-ya…”

“What did you do?” Donghae cries hysterically. “You fool!”

Hyukjae reaches for Donghae’s hand weakly. “I’m sorry…” He whispers.

“Hyuk, this is why I should’ve stayed.”

“No, Hae. The people need you more than ever.”

“I don’t care about the people right now.”

“No, Hae. If word gets around, they will turn against you and your father. Don’t let them parade me around.”

 

Donghae wipes the tears of his face, and clears his throat. “Are you...how much are you hurt? Is there...oh gods.” Donghae sobs.

“Go, Hae,” Hyukjae urges. “Go. Promise me you will put the people first.”

“I can’t do that,” Donghae sobs even harder. “Not while you’re here. The people needs you.”

“The people needs you to be a proper king, and you can’t,” Hyukjae huffs. “Not while you’re with me.” He groans, trying to move.

 

Donghae pulls his hand back, feeling as if he got burned. “I will save you.” He vows.

 

~

The next day, the king commands that Eunhyuk be executed at noon. The word spreads like wildfire, uttered under the voices of the people. It is in paper, in men’s breaths, and in the swift movements of fans opening. Everyone knows of Eunhyuk, and the people mourns in many ways. People gathered near the palace to witness their hero burning under the sun’s stifling heat.

 

Eunhyuk was dragged in front of all the people; lower, middle, or high class, it didn’t matter. They all became one today. He limps, and he doesn’t protest when the palace guards makes him kneel in front of all the people. He was too weak to fight back. Maybe now, the revolution that they so poorly planned will happen today. Eunhyuk realizes that he doesn’t want that to happen at all, because it will be bloody. Donghae will be put in harm.

 

Dammit, Eunhyuk thinks. Dammit. I haven’t told him anything. I haven’t told him.

 

The guards rip off his clothes, which stuck to his skin after the blood dried. He shivers, even though the sun is beating him down. He closes his eyes. He prays to anyone who might lend an ear: Keep Donghae safe. I’m willing to give my life. Just let him live.

 

Suddenly, a loud sound pierced through his thoughts. He hears horses thudding on the ground. Eunhyuk thinks that they shouldn’t be going all out for just a thief. How long must they drag this on?

 

Then, he was lifted up, into strong, sturdy arms. He leans into this familiar embrace. What a good day to die.

 

“Hyukjae, it’s me,” he hears Donghae’s voice beside his ear.

 

In the background, people are screaming.

 

“What’s happening?” Some people are starting to cheer.

 

“Eunhyuk! Eunhyuk!” The people chanted. They start to push against the palace guards and soldiers.

 

Donghae makes the horse run, and Hyukjae grits his teeth every time the horse’s hooves hit the ground. He passes out in between, feeling the pain of his fresh wounds.

 

~

Donghae lays Hyukjae down on the bed, and immediately nurses his wounds. The other members brought in medical supplies and clean water. Donghae tries not cry while washing the blood away, but it looks so painful, it would feel even more for Hyukjae.

 

The skin of his back is slashed in many areas; the whip left its mark so deep that it reminds Donghae of wood splitting, or the ridges of a mountain range. He wraps his body with bandages, gently, as if he’s rolling out a thin scroll, spreading it out so there would not be any rips or wrinkles.

 

All through the night, Donghae kept watch over Hyukjae. The others offered to stay with him, but Donghae does not want to leave his side. He was content to be right there, admiring the face that he came to knew, touching the lines of his hands that he came to memorize.

 

“Am I being selfish if I admit to you that I am a jealous person...that I want your eyes to only see me, your arms to hold me, and your lips to only touch mine?” Donghae whispers. He caresses Hyukjae’s hand. “It’s true that I am a prince, and that there are certain expectations of me...but you knew that.” Donghae sighs heavily. “ I…love you, Lee Hyukjae. I know you understand that we might not be able to love each other like that, but I love you. Nothing else matters to me.” Donghae’s throat suddenly felt so constricted. He tears up, and brings Hyukjae’s hand to his lips.

 

Morning came, and Donghae wakes up with a somber feeling. Light flits through the windows, but it doesn’t brighten up anything. All Donghae could see is Hyukjae, lying on the ground bleeding.

 

He shakes this thoughts away and reminds him that he’s here. He’s right here.

 

“Hey,” a voice, the sound as fragile as a crinkle of paper. “You saved me.”

“Idiot,” Donghae murmurs. He leans over and kisses Hyukjae on the cheek.

 

Hyukjae wants to tell him so many things, most of them involving just three words, but it gets stuck in his throat. He remembers Leeteuk scolding him, and Shindong telling him to watch himself.  

 

However, he still believes in Donghae. So somehow, he needs to sway the people’s opinion in one month. In one month, before this kingdom tears itself apart for turning against the wrong people. He does not want to see the kingdom destroyed. He wonders if he’s feeling guilty for having a different vision from s or if he’s doing all this just for one person.

 

His eyes close inevitably, but he hears Donghae’s voice murmuring in that deep, velvety way, like he’s had too many drinks.

 

I...love you, Lee Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae thinks that his heart couldn’t take it.