Ch 11

The King Of My Heart

“You said a week, Heechul,” the king growls. “It’s been months!”

 

Heechul keeps his head down. He couldn’t really provide any information because Donghae left without a word. Now, the king knows he lied, and even became Donghae’s accomplice.

 

That brat, Heechul scoffs at Donghae mentally.

 

“If I don’t see him tomorrow, I’m going to hang you,” the king threatens.

Heechul gulps. “Yes, Your Majesty.” He bows, and exited the king’s room by walking backwards.

 

“Ah, Lee Donghae, you little rascal,” Heechul curses. “What am I going to do with you?”

 

~

Eunhyuk wakes up first. Donghae is resting on his arm, a small smile playing on his lips. He brushes the hair off of Donghae’s forehead and smiles fondly. He wishes to whoever is listening that he would get to spend more days with Donghae. Although he would never admit it to the others, he came to depend on this prince. Donghae’s always right behind him. Two days ago, he would have never made that jump if Donghae wasn’t looking at him.

 

“Eunhyuk,” he hears Leeteuk behind him call.

 

He takes a look at Donghae, who had shifted his head back a little, so he is only lying on a part of his sleeve. Eunhyuk reaches for his knife behind him and cuts his sleeve off. He sits up and pats Donghae’s cheek, then he pushes himself up to find Leeteuk.

 

Trying not to step on anyone, Eunhyuk heads out of the tent, and stokes the fireplace. He joins Leeteuk on their deteriorating wooden log.

 

Leeteuk passes him a rolled paper.

Eunhyuk opens it and finds that the bounty for his head has been raised. Leeteuk passes him another paper. This one is about Donghae. The palace is looking for him. Whoever has knowledge must immediately report it.

 

“I’ve kept my mouth shut for months,” Leeteuk says. He crosses his hands together. “It’s time for you to say goodbye to your prince. Or I will, and it won’t be pretty.”

Eunhyuk chucks the papers towards the fire. It immediately catches on fire, eating it like a hungry animal. “Hyung...he’s my friend.”

“He’s a prince. He will be king someday. Donghae has no room in his life for people like us.”

“He’s different! He’s not his father,” Eunhyuk adds uselessly.

 

Leeteuk puts an arm around Eunhyuk’s bony shoulders. “I know you two share a special bond, but this will pass like summer would. You’ll find someone that would interest you again.”

“It’s not like that anymore,” Eunhyuk argues, throwing off Leeteuk’s arm.

 

Eunhyuk wants to cry. He knew it was going to come to this sooner, but he still can’t accept the fact. No matter their huge differences, Eunhyuk has found someone who complimented him. Someone who didn’t get tired of him after one night.

 

“Eunhyuk, remember that you have bigger and greater things to do out there,” Leeteuk reminds him. “Remember the people. Our group’s purpose.”

 

~

Donghae finds Eunhyuk sitting himself, his breakfast untouched. In the distance, he can hear the members bickering. In contrast to the palace, this place is unexpectedly loud. Of all the places someone can think of, this forest is the most lively. The leaves crumple under his feet, and Eunhyuk looks up to the sound. Donghae sits beside him, allowing his leg to touch his. They sit in comfortable silence, breathing the fresh air that Donghae rarely ever notices.

 

He observes Eunhyuk from the corner of his eyes. His lips are pursed, and he is staring at his bowl, his eyes boring holes through the object.

 

Donghae reaches for his hands, which were still holding the bowl. Donghae takes the bowl off, and as if he’s taking off a burden, Eunhyuk’s eyes are clear again.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Donghae asks.

Eunhyuk wants to bolt under his tender gaze. It is so open and so kind, he feels like he is betraying him already.

 

But like all good things, they would come to pass.

 

“Go back to your father,” Eunhyuk finally says. His tone is flippant, like he can’t even be bothered.

Donghae’s hands drop from his, not quite understanding him. “What?”

“Donghae, you and I both know that you can’t be out here for long. There’s a bounty on my head.”

“I can protect you! I’ve been looking out for your !”

“I don’t doubt that...but you can protect me better inside the palace walls.”

“What about the people? I want to help too!”

“I know that.” Eunhyuk’s voice thickens, but even now, he doesn’t raise his voice with Donghae.

 

“Then why don’t you want me here?” Donghae feels tears building in his eyes. He wants to be with Eunhyuk.

“It’s because I know you understand my thoughts better than anyone. That you being here will put more people in danger. That you are a prince that is brought up to rule. Now, you have to go back, and learn how to rule properly. That, is how you can help.”

“Eunhyuk…” Donghae knew this, but he just doesn’t want to be king anymore. All that power means nothing without the person you treasure the most standing by your side.

 

“You should probably forget that name.”

“Is this goodbye? You don’t really want me by your side? Really? I thought we had something.” Donghae stands up, wanting to be angry, but he couldn’t, because Eunhyuk never got mad at him. He’s not asking him to leave out of spite.

“I meant, my real name is Lee Hyukjae. Call me by that name from now on. That other name is for the people.”  Eunhyuk is smiling now, and he stands up. “We don’t have to say goodbye again.”

 

Donghae steps closer and grabs Eunhyuk by the face. He stares at his eyes, his nose, and his lips. He runs a curious finger over his nose, his sharp jaw...

 

“Can I kiss you?” Donghae blurts out.

“Eh, what? I already gave you the chance.” Eunhyuk becomes distracted by Donghae’s pouty lips. They do look tempting.

Donghae’s gaze lingers by his lips. “How about a hug?”

“Shouldn’t you court me first or something?”

“Eun-Hyukjae, shut up.”

 

Donghae embraces Eunhyuk, or Hyukjae, embraces him as if this will be the last time he’ll see him. He breathes in his scent, of burnt wood and summer grass. He runs his hands over his back, feeling him, as if he might disappear with the wind.

 

When they pull back, their faces are too close.

 

“Can I ing kiss you now?” Donghae tries again.

“Do you even know how?” Hyukjae teases.

“I’m not that innocent!”

“Oh? Is that so? Why do I get the feeling you’ve never been with women?” Eunhyuk giggles, bumping his nose against Donghae’s. “Or men?”

 

Donghae shoves him, and starts to hit him several times. Eunhyuk is laughing, one arm raised for defense.

 

“Do you think I have time in the palace to be sneaking around with anyone?” Donghae shouts. He feels his cheeks heat.

Eunhyuk steps forward, and presses himself against Donghae’s chest. He takes the prince’s face into his hands, and brushed his lips against him. It was only for a brief moment, but Donghae’s mind is reeling.

 

“What the hell?”

“You know, for a prince, you curse more than a band of thieves,” Eunhyuk comments. He presses his cheek against Donghae’s.