Ch 16

The King Of My Heart

Eunhyuk grits his teeth and went inside the house. He does not forget his realization and the anger that sparked with it. Sehun and his other friends moved out of his way, sensing his wrath. Siwon is suddenly standing in front of him, his legs apart and his shoulders squared. He places a firm hand on Eunhyuk’s chest, but Eunhyuk slaps it away.

 

“Eunhyuk,” Siwon warns.

“Don’t,” Eunhyuk snaps. He shoves Siwon aside, and marches towards the doors.

 

He slides the door open, so roughly that he almost tears it off. Leeteuk lifts his head from his tea, and his companion sets his cup down. His big eyes narrow.

 

“How could you?!” Eunhyuk yelled.

“Where’s Donghae?” Heechul asks, ignoring his outburst. His eyes go to his finger, and it widens in surprise.

“You!” Eunhyuk snarled.

 

“Eunhyuk, calm down,” Leeteuk interrupts.

Eunhyuk tries to steady his labored breathing. “Calm down? Donghae could get killed with your scheming!”

Heechul abruptly stands to his feet, and pushed Eunhyuk back. He grabs the front of Eunhyuk’s shirt. “I asked you where he is!”

Eunhyuk grips Heechul’s wrists. “He went back to try and talk to his father!”

 

Heechul pushes Eunhyuk back, which almost made him fall. He stumbles backwards, and found support on the wall behind him. Heechul immediately puts on his shoes.

 

“He was suppose to stay here,” Heechul murmured. “That fool.” He glares at Eunhyuk, because it was his fault that Donghae went back. “You. You’re coming with.”

 

Leeteuk stands up as well, grabbing Heechul by his shoulder. “What are you doing?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Heechul barked. “I’m saving the only king we’ll have.”

 

Eunhyuk stared at his hyungs, wanting them to explain what is going on. Heechul grabs him roughly, and Eunhyuk yelps in pain. Heechul growled at someone to prepare two horses, and he turns to Eunhyuk.

 

“Listen to me,” Heechul said. “I’m sorry that the revolution came early.”

“You meant for me to get caught!” Eunhyuk accused.

“No, we did not. It just happened, and Leeteuk and Shindong told me that you want the people to support Donghae instead,” Heechul explains. “So we used you instead to get their attention. Now that you have the people’s eyes on you, you’re going to tell them to follow Donghae.”

 

Eunhyuk stared at Heechul, dumbfounded. “What?”

“I keep thinking why you two are so connected, and I realize that while this kingdom needs a good king, it needs a voice too,” Heechul concludes. “You be their light, Eunhyuk.”

 

Heechul helps him up the horse. Eunhyuk groans as the movement put a strain on his wounds.

 

“I’m gonna go fetch Donghae and bring him back,” Heechul promised. His expression darkens. “This is not the time to tell you this, but Donghae is going to get married soon.”

 

Eunhyuk stared at him in shock. “What?” His heart suddenly breaks into a million pieces. He suddenly feels like chucking Donghae’s ring to the ground and have the horse step on it.

 

Heechul slaps the horse and it carries Eunhyuk away, his mind in a state of overwhelming confusion.

 

~

Donghae arrives into the heart of the capital, and he gets down from his horse. He sends the horse away, and wove through the labyrinth that will lead him to the palace. He hears screams in the distance, but that’s not where he is heading. He would have to face his father and convince him that there is a better way.

 

He arrives at a hidden entrance, obscured by a garden. Heechul told him about this place when he was younger, just in case trouble comes in the palace. He guesses that it makes sense at a time like this.

 

He crawls into the tiny hole, and moves aside the rock that covers the spot on the other side. He pulls himself up and sprinted all the way to his father’s court.

 

He pushes the doors back dramatically, and faced his father. The king’s court officials immediately bowed at his entrance.

 

“Your Majesty,” Donghae huffs. He places a hand on his chest to steady himself. “I’m asking as your son only this one time. Please lift your order. Do not kill these people.”

The king frowns at him. “Excuse me?”

 

Donghae’s throat suddenly felt dry. “Father.”

“These people,” he emphasizes cynically. “Are rebelling, and they deserve to be punished.”

Donghae suddenly felt a little bit braver. He thinks of Hyukjae, and his promise to him. “I will abdicate my place as the Crown Prince.”

 

The silence in the court dug daggers into the skin of the witnesses. Donghae feels a little bit smaller in front of his father. His mind goes to Hyukjae again, remembering his smile.

 

The king narrows his eyes at him, and sighed loudly. “Guards, put him under house arrest.”

“Father! Please!” Donghae cries. “Father! The people will turn on you!”

 

Donghae is dragged away from the court. He slumps back and surrenders to the guards’ hold. He failed Hyukjae.

 

~

The king sends out his troops with only one command: Kill Eunhyuk.

 

The people wants Eunhyuk to step up, and they will only listen to him. If he’s going to get kicked out of the throne, at least he can take everything with him. Everyone would feel the loss and the pain he experienced a long time ago.