Ch 4

The King Of My Heart

Siwon, Kibum and Zhoumi finished packing what they will be delivering tonight when Sungmin entered their base, panting hard.

 

“What?” Siwon asks expectantly.

“Everyone got arrested!” Sungmin exclaims.

Kibum tightens the sack he was currently packing. He tries to think. There have so many stops tonight, they may not be able to make it. “What about the night run?”

Zhoumi starts to load their packs into the carts. “Well, we have to try...if they get caught and no one delivers these things, then someone might connect the dots.”

“Okay, well. Um, we need to start now,” Sungmin said. He lowers his staff and starts to help Kibum load the relief packs. “We’ll figure out how to save them later.”

 

~

Everyone was tied up under the stifling heat of the sun. Since Eunja was more popular, she was treated worse. They doused her with water, called her names, and even touched her. Eunhyuk would take it though, because if he tried to fight back, then the others might get hurt too. He wonders what is taking the guards so long from killing them. They knew the dangers of mocking the king.

 

“That’s enough!” Henry yells when a guard ripped Eunhyuk’s sleeve, revealing his pale shoulder.

 

The others who had their heads down looked at Henry to try and convince him to shut up.

 

“Henry, don’t,” Eunhyuk said.

The guards turn on Henry. One of them takes out a long, thin stick and raised it high. Henry squints his eyes shut, wishing that he wasn’t tied up so he can at least protect himself.

 

“Wait!” Leeteuk interrupts, his voice hoarse.

The guards’ attention shifts to him.

“Don’t kill us!” Leeteuk pleads.

“Why not?”

“We’ll perform for the king! If he likes our performance, then he can decide what to do. If he doesn’t, then you’re free to execute us!”

 

Everyone stared at their eldest.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Kangin hissed.

“Shut up!” One of the guards roared.

 

~

“Is something happening today?” Donghae asks as he spreads his arms out as his servants put on his outer robe.

“A band of performers requested an audience with His Majesty,” one of them replies.

Donghae turns around so one can tighten his girdle. “Isn’t it hard to get an audience with my father these days?”

 

He hears a fan snap open by his door. Donghae turns his head and spots Heechul in his party dress. “They’re pretty popular with the people. I heard Eunja is with them.”

 

“Eunja?” Donghae repeats, his senses zeroing into that name.

 

“Your Highness, your father, His Majesty is waiting for you,” someone outside announces.

 

Donghae walks out of the room, and his servants shuffled after him. As they make their way outside, doors automatically opened for them, as if the attendants know they are coming. Donghae can see the light outside, and he walks faster, his heart beating fast inside his chest. He knew he was going to meet Eunhyuk again. He was excited, or terrified. He needs to warn him about the bounty on his head. There was so much going on in his mind when he didn’t realize that he made a wrong turn.

 

“Your Highness, the courtyard is this way,” one of his servants called.

Donghae frowns and looks around. Heechul raises a delicate eyebrow.

“Right.” He walks the other way, feeling the ground tremble from the rhythm that is starting to play.

 

~

With trepidation, Eunhyuk fixes his clothing. There was no time to redo his makeup or even change into another pair of clothes. He grabs Hangeng’s mask, knowing and feeling bad that the man prefers to perform with it, and puts it on his own face. He thought that their eldest hyung was crazy for bringing them in front of the king. Suddenly, he thinks of the man’s face in the cell. His mind goes to the ring on his finger, the dark blue ring with silver dragon etchings.

 

That’s funny, Eunhyuk thinks. How fateful.

 

There was an awkward silence as they stood in front of the king. They looked around, bewildered at how huge the palace is.

 

The king is seated in his royal red clothes, and to his left, is Donghae, who looked a little fearful. He keeps glancing at his father with his eyes wide. It could just be Eunhyuk’s imagination.

 

Hangeng and Shindong had long started the music, and Leeteuk have been introducing everyone in his colorful voice. When Leeteuk mentioned his name, Eunhyuk comes out and opened his arms wide. He spins in circles, moving his hands here and there. He steps lightly, as if his life depended on it. If they can’t entertain a reaction from the king, the least he can do is keep the prince’s eyes on him.

 

As their performance wore on, the king remained unimpressed.

 

Eunhyuk was sweating inside the mask, and his wig is starting to itch. He knew the others are getting exhausted as well.

 

“Hyung!” Eunhyuk hissed when he passed by him. “Let’s do the new one!”

 

Leeteuk waves his hand comically, and the beat started to change. Eunhyuk dared to get closer to the prince and grabbed a fan from one of the men near him.

 

They are about to mock the king and his actions, and expose his officials’ corruption.

 

“We don’t have any money!” Kyuhyun shouts, dancing around.

“Give me everything you have!” Kangin bellows.

“I only have my life!”

“Then you must give it up for me!”

 

Yesung was wailing, bringing out his dramatic high notes. Ryeowook complements this, and the two singers sung of sorrow, of lost. It was not really meant to be funny, but the king had finally laughed.

 

Eunhyuk glances at the king. I guess he has a bad taste for humor.

 

Kangin circles him, and Leeteuk announces that his officials frequent houses. While the king’s servants looked away, the king laughed and even pointed out one of his officials who did that.

 

Eunhyuk throws his mask off, and danced to the rhythm, feeling it with his body. His ripped top fluttered against his movements, but he doesn’t care whether he reveals Eunja’s real identity. He wants to live.

 

The king claps.

 

Leeteuk gathers s to bow.