Ch 19

The King Of My Heart

Donghae arrives, and he saw Eunhyuk on top of the gates, holding a speech. He strains to hear him. He starts making his way forward, gently pushing the people away.

 

“He is kind, brave, smart. He is all the things this kingdom needs. So please, in honor of me, lend your support to him. Back him up, and he will raise all of you.”

 

The people cheered, almost making Donghae deaf.

 

“Long live the Crown Prince!” Eunhyuk roars.

 

The crows repeats the cheer, and they are chanting. He feels Hyukjae’s eyes on him, and suddenly he was being lifted up by the people. Donghae felt so proud and so full of love. He laughs in a giddy way. This is the revolution that the people need. They don’t have to tear the world apart. They just have to be strong enough to pick up the pieces.

 

It was such a beautiful day for a beautiful change.

Suddenly, someone is screaming. Then everyone was screaming. Donghae was dropped, and he feels dead bodies under his hands.

 

Donghae shouts in surprise. “What the-?”

 

The people are running around, jolting each other. They run away from the palace.

 

One by one, bodies dropped to the ground.

 

Donghae searches the sky, but he does not see Hyukjae.

 

~

The king watches the spectacle before him. Then he hears the cheering. He raises his hand, signaling his troops to ready their weapons.

 

Then he shouts at them to fire with everything they have. Shoot Eunhyuk. Kill him.

 

People screamed in panic. The king walked forward with his head high.

 

~

Donghae grabs the nearest person. “Where’s Eunhyuk?”

 

The person stared at him wide eyes. “Your Highness, we need to get out of here!” The person tugs at him, but Donghae breaks away.

 

He marches forward, against the flow of the current. The barrage of arrows stopped, and he finds Hyukjae on the ground, his body mangled in an unnatural way. Donghae fights a sob.

 

“Hyukjae!” He shouts. His mind suddenly becomes blank. All he can hear is Eunhyuk’s strong voice, and then he sees his body, broken. It doesn’t connect at all.

 

Donghae gets to his knees, and bends over Hyukjae. “Oh no…” He cries.

 

He gathers him in his arms. “No!” Donghae screamed with every breath he has. “NO!”

 

“Hyuk,” he sobs. “I am so sorry.” He held his hand. He brushes a finger on the ring he gave him.

“Dong..Hae, you...came,” Hyukjae murmurs. His eyes are unfocused. Blood pours out his mouth.

“Yes, yes, I’m here. Now don’t you dare go anywhere.”

“Donghae?” Hyukjae calls. He looks at the sky.

“Yes?”

 

Hyukjae closes his eyes, his lips forming a smile. “It’s nice out here.”

“Hyukjae,” Donghae cries. “Don’t go.”

Donghae gathers him in his arms and clutched on to him. His life depended on it. Blood seeped into his clothes, but it’s Hyukjae’s blood so he doesn’t care.

 

The gates suddenly opens. The king steps out, a sword drawn in his hands.

 

“You,” the king states. “You are one useless son!”

Donghae sees his father through his tears. He waits for the sword.

 

Then the king drops dead in front of him. Heechul holds a bloody knife in his hand, his eyes wide.

 

Donghae bursts out crying.

 

“He was going to kill you,” Heechul whispers. He drops to his knees. He turns to the troops behind him. “You make any move, and the Crown Prince will kill you himself,” he threatens harshly.

 

~

Hyukjae hears Donghae’s laugh. He shares the laugh with him. He feels a hand entwined with his, and he is led away.

 

“What’s so funny?” Hyukjae asks. He adores the smile on Donghae’s face. His eyes are lit up, full of hope and wonder.

“Nothing, I’m just happy to be here with you,” Donghae replies. He squeezes Hyukjae’s hand.

“Donghae?”

“Yes?”

“I’d like to stay here.” Hyukjae states, tilting his face to the sun. “It’s nice out here.”

 

Hyukjae suddenly turns to Donghae, and a huge smile spreads to his face. “I forgot to tell you!”

“What?” Donghae giggles.
“I love you.”

Donghae grips his hand tight, and they are running. They are running and laughing, happy that they are finally together. Hyukjae feels the grass underneath his fingers, and thinks that he’s been here before.