Ch 1

The King Of My Heart

One night, in spring, a crescent moon hung low from the sky, almost as if it could touch the land. A baby was born into this world, into poverty, where he would learn to hate the rich. He would rise up to fight for his people. The current king is greedy, he takes and he never gives. He rules the people with an iron fist, imposing harsh rules. If someone is to break it, they will be sentenced to death immediately.

 

The king has a very pregnant queen. The king will do everything to protect his queen, but she is also sick. He called for every physician-the best, as they call them-but still, no one can figure out what was wrong with her.

 

The king, however, was also greedy. Not wanting to give up his treasures and his resources, he starts to tax the people.

 

One night, in fall, a gibbous hung high up in the sky, among the stars. A baby was born into royalty, where he would learn to hate the rich. He would rise up to lead his people. His father, the king, rules with tyranny, but he can be stopped.

 

~

Donghae is attracted by the loud busking of percussion instruments. Inside the main city walls, gypsies and entertainers often come through to earn money, but this was the first time he really felt the crowd’s excitement. They were all hurrying towards the sound, people with all kinds of colorful clothes that shows off their wealth chatting happily among their companions.

 

Donghae was alone. He was content to watch everyone’s faces light up at something that makes them happy. This was the sight that he rarely sees inside the palace walls. He doesn’t know any of the people, but he would like the chance to.

 

He suddenly hears men hooting enthusiastically. He veers towards the sound, curious. Then he sees her for the first time. She was very thin and light on her feet, and when he saw a glimpse of her face, he found himself walking even closer. She had a profound jaw and full lips, but most of all, her single eyelids were the prettiest. Donghae could not keep his eyes off of her. He was mesmerized as she moved in circles, as she swayed her hips to the pounding of the drums.

 

“Eunja! Over here!” The older men were calling.

 

Suddenly, she is making her way towards him. She offers a smile, and Donghae stares, mesmerized. She turns away immediately, catering to the other males in the audience. Her long hair swayed behind her, then she disappears when the other people of her group came forward. He craned his neck, but she is nowhere to be seen. He starts to walk around when he hears someone hissing at him.

“Hey! You there!”

Donghae pauses and looks around before pointing at himself. “Me?”

The man whose head is wrapped with some sort of clothing nodded. He has a huge earing, shaped like a crescent moon. He smiles gently. “Come find out your future.”

“Are you for real?” Donghae crosses his arms.

“For sure. Give me your hand.” The man gestures for him to sit down. On his impromptu table was a transparent ball and a paper filled with the constellation.

“Okay…” Donghae murmurs.

 

Behind them, he can hear a narrator telling a story. He was very loud and colorful, but his voice garnered attention.

 

“The king is angry, very angry! How dare you bring me a few pieces of silver coins?! Get me more!” The voice shouts.

 

Donghae frowns. The fortune teller man reaches out to turn Donghae’s head away from the show.

 

“Well...you’re born in the fall, under a gibbous moon.”

Donghae blinks. “Why does that matter?”

“You’re going to meet someone under a full moon. That someone will change your life forever.”

“That is so cheesy! Do you tell everyone you meet this?”

“Calm down, boy. Hear me out.”

“Oh yeah? When is this full moon?” Donghae asks in a petulant tone.

The man with the big face grins. “You’re in luck, it’s tonight.”

 

Donghae jumps up when he heard shouts from the crowd. While he had his back turned, the fortune teller man quickly slips his hand into his pocket, without Donghae noticing. The crowd disperses into different directions, and he saw the group of entertainers scatter. He catches sight of Eunja, hiking up her skirt to run.

 

The man quickly gathered his fake crystal ball and his map of stars, and made a run for it. Though he looked heavier, he was faster than an average man.

 

Donghae doesn’t know what made him, but he found his feet running after Eunja. She was fast, weaving her body through throngs of people with grace. Donghae almost loses sight of her.

 

The prince searched the people’s faces, but none of them were recognizable. He curses inwardly, wondering what has gotten into him.

 

He slows his pace, and made up his mind to go back home.

 

“Let me go!” He hears someone shout.

Donghae turns, and he sees Eunja struggling to throw a guard’s grip on her. The prince hurriedly made his way and shoved the guard back. Eunja kicks the guards legs, and grabs Donghae’s hand. The two of them ran for their lives.

 

As they were running, Donghae notices Eunja’s strong grip. Her nails were short, and her hand is bigger than his. Eunja leads him to an alleyway, obscured from anyone’s view.

 

“Well, this is where we must part ways, I’m afraid,” Eunja says. Donghae’s eyebrows furrow a little. Her voice sounds deeper.

 

Eunja starts to walk away, fidgeting with her clothes and hair.

 

“Wait! You’re Eunja? How can I see you again?” Donghae blurts out. He is definitely going crazy. 

 

Eunja takes off her-no his-wig and throws it down on the floor. He strips off his costume and stashes them under the houses.

 

The man shoots him a wide smile. Donghae can see his gums.

 

“I’m everywhere, you just need to know where to look!”

Donghae just stares at him, bewildered. If he’s not Eunja- “Wait, what’s your name?!”

 

The man was gone before he can even finish his question.