One

Nothing More, Nothing Less
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the sound of water running in the river made Shiah slowly open her eyes seeing the new day appeared and wondered how long she was asleep. She felt the softness of the beige sweater that was covered of her as she was in a fetus position.

The water that was far from her was a beautiful clear blue that was clear enough to see the rocks and dirt down below. It had been a while since Shiah got to see a river up close.

A sound rustled from the bushes behind her, making her jolt from her place shrinking to her smaller size. She hid behind the tree trunk that was just laying there and waited. She was left with paranoia ever since that night and she had been running for her safety.

When the person came out, she let out a sigh and came out flying to his side. He turned his head and smiled at her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Shiah went back to her normal size and hugged the person in front of her.

He didn't waste time to hug her back. His name was Yanan and he was signed to protector. He was told to never leave her side until the time was right. He has been protecting her since she was eight years old, which also made him be her closest friend. He wasn't a fairy. He was an Ascension living amongst them along with four others.

She let go of him and stared at his bright bleached hair and gave a small smile. "How long as I out?"

He hummed thinking. "Not long, a couple of hours? We've been moving a lot, it's ok to rest."

"Where did you go?" She asked looking at his empty hands. She thought made he went to get food.

"I wanted to be sure we weren't followed." He sighed and grabbed her hand pulling her near the water. "We need to cross over."

"You mean fly?" Shiah retorted. "I'm not getting my gown wet. I don't have other clothes."

"Right. I meant fly." He chuckled and groaned for a moment letting his wings pop out from his back. Since it was daylight, they weren't seen. They were invisible but Shiah could see a hint of a golden glow behind him. "Ready?"

Shiah wrapped her arms around him as he bent down picking her up and flew over the river. It didn't take long, only a blink of an eye. "What attacked us that night?"

Yanan placed her on her feet making the same groaning face and that meant he put his wings back. For as long he knew Shiah, he never kept secrets from her. He told her everything. If something was happening with her parents and the others. He would tell her. He wouldn't get into trouble, he just wanted her to be aware of her surroundings as well.

After all, at some point she was a special kind of fairy until it wasn't what she wanted anymore. He respected her choices even if they were bad ones, but she would learn from her lessons. It was the only way she would learn.

"Yanan?" She called out to him.

He stared at her still shaken up from what happened. Her white gown was still on her but as he stared at the bottom with the burned off piece from making it incomplete. Some of the fire caught her as she was trying to escape and luckily, he was there to get rid of it along with the other Ascension.

"I'll protect you no matter what happens Yooa. You know that right?" Yanan smiled at her. He stared at her dark brown hair as it flowed passing her shoulders with her round face and round cute eyes with her bangs covering her forehead.

She nodded understanding. "I can handle it. Tell me."

Yanan let out a breath and looked down. He grabbed her hands grabbing only the first two on each hand and placed them on his temples closing his eyes.

Shiah gasped closing her eyes as well.

- - -

It was past midnight and every night was the same. The protectors that hung around the world amongst the fairies always did their late night stake out. It was manageable since the Ascensions were the ones looking out for them. They didn't have the ability to be small as the fairy's.

Hui the leader of the Ascension was looking around the forest with his eyes and heard movement but it was only the other four lurking. "Anything?"

"Clear over here." Jinho replied as he was walking towards the west and heard Yanan and Wooseok joking around with laughter.

"Shouldn't you be checking the area? Not romancing." Yuto snorted as he was checking his area on the east side and something caught his eyes.

"We checked." Yanan replied nudging Wooseok away from him. "All clear South."

"Same for North." Wooseok chuckled and put Yanan in a headlock which made them chuckle.

"Then lets head back." Hui sighed shaking his head at the two young ones messing around like always.

As they were walking, Yuto stayed behind scanning the area again but he saw some glowing eyes inside a bush and didn't like what he was feeling. He was always the one to misread things and make others paranoid making him see things that weren't there. But this time he wasn't being paranoid. He walked closer to the bushes and widen his eyes listening to her thoughts.

Hui stopped in his place realizing he didn't hear a check from Yuto. He turned and the others stopped joking as he gave them a glare. "Yuto?"

A faint female laugh was heard above the trees as it the branches rustled together with the wind.

"What was that?" Yanan asked looking above him.

Wooseok glared above as he heard the laugh again and heard faint cries. He looked in a distance where the faint golden light was coming from. "The village!"

"ITS UNDER ATTACK!" Yuto called out as he came from his post holding his arm that was cut. "Some wolf with a yellow sun eyes jumped out and I heard her thoughts. She and her pack are attacking the village!"

"Yanan! Get to Yooa! We will find you!" Hui looked at the others waiting for orders. "Wooseok go with Yanan, make sure they are out and safe. Jinho and Yuto lets help as many as we can. Find those wolves!"

They agreed and quickly headed towards the village. Screams were heard. Fairies were trying to fly up to the trees for safety but they were in danger by the trees. They were all lit with flames and were burning down to the ground destroying the homes of the innocent.

Yanan stopped for a moment and saw a silver gray wolf with pink eyes snarling snapping her jaw at a few kids. He was about to go when he saw a whip of water snap her jaw making her whimper.

Hyojung was a fairy that could control water and use it anyway she liked. She saved the young kids taking them to safety and soon the flames were shrinking by another fair named Jiho. She controlled the fire element. She was almost done when a wolf with blue eyes and a gray black fur attacked her by the neck hearing a snap and her eyes were widen and she was no longer moving.

Hyojung went to her side and tried waking her up but she wasn't moving. She looked up and saw Yanan frozen in his place. "GO TO YOOA!"

"LET'S GO YANAN!" Wooseok pulled him by the arm as the image of one of her friends just got killed before his eyes. He did nothing. He just watched.

The attack came as a surprised and there was so many questions that needed to be answered. When they reached the home of Yooa, Yanan quickly kicked the door down. There wasn't time to open it carefully. The smoke hadn't reached her home yet. He went to her room and saw her in a corner by the window holding onto her egg shaped stone necklace that her parents gave her on her tenth birthday. The same year they passed on.

"YOOA! WE NEED TO GO!" Yanan called out to her.

She snapped her head up and quickly went to him wrapping her arms around him. Wooseok came in and held them close to him. "Cover your heads!"

Yanan covered Yooa's head quickly with his arms best he could and the sound of the roof breaking made Yooa shut her eyes tight. She felt like she was floating one moment and when she opened her eyes, she saw the fire as it grew all around her home and to the trees.

"What's happening?" She asked as she heard faint screams and cries. The homes were burning and some were running for safety. She felt something burning and it was close to her. She looked at her gown and it had caught fire. "MY GOWN!"

Wooseok flew down just a few miles out from the village and Yanan was quick enough grabbed it and make it go away. Her favorite gown was ruined but it didn't matter. Her home was under attack and her kin was dying.

"We need to go back and help them!" Yooa started to turn back but Wooseok caught her arm.

"We have our orders from Hui." He told her and she looked over to Yanan for help and he nodded. "We can't let you go back there. Yanan is your protector, he is in charge of you."

Wooseok quickly flew up and smiled at his friend. "We will find you again. Now go!"

Before Yooa could speak he was gone. She turned to look at her protector who was also her friend and tears started running down her cheek.

Yanan looked down and felt his own tears flow down. "I'm sorry."

Yooa fell to her knees and couldn't understand what was happening. It was a blur. One minute she was asleep like always and then she heard screams and saw the fire. She tried to get out of her home but the handle wouldn't let her. It was stuck and she was probably going to die. Thankfully Yanan came and saved her along with Wooseok.

"We must move." Yanan pulled himself together.

Yooa looked up at him and slowly pushed herself up. She gave one last look to where her home once was and saw the smoke above the sky. "There...all gone, aren't there?"

"I'm not sure."

She turned back and saw him holding out his hand to her. She sniffled taking it and they started to walk.

- - -

Shiah removed her hand taking a step back and opening her eyes. She looked down at all the white rocks around her and stumbled back falling down with tears filling her eyes. She averted them up as she breathed hard and saw the sadness in Yanan's eyes.

He clenched his jaw not knowing what to say. He knew when he couldn't tell her the truth, he would let her get it another way. She had a special gift. She could s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter