“This is Haena. You’re Haena right?”

Don't Let Go

 

Pulling his cap even lower, SeungHo tried to shield his face from the cold wind, a sigh escaping his luscious lips. Dragging his tired feet, he made his way slowly back home, his mind full of a certain primary school teacher. His brow furrowed as he recalled the events that had happened that day. When Suri dragged the both of them to the ice-cream store, he had heard someone uttered his wife’s name. He was sure he had heard it right. Who else would have Choi Haena as their name? But why in the world would anyone go around yelling his wife’s name? When he turned around however, no one was there. But he did notice how strange Miss Kim had become. There was a slight tremor of her hand when she reached over to take her ice cream and her voice shook whenever she talked. Why? Did she know the significance of that name? It couldn’t be hers. Her surname was Kim, right?

A scowl made its way onto his handsome face. He wished to goodness he could see how she truly looked like. He had figured out by now that she must know him. If not, why would she react the way she did whenever he was around? He knew he should recognize her but every time he tried to imagine her face, his wife’s face would appear instead. There was no way... No, SeungHo shook his head. That’s not possible. His wife was dead...

He was startled out of his train of thoughts when a little boy suddenly bumped into him. SeungHo grabbed hold of his arms before he could tumble to the ground.

“Are you ok?” He asked the little boy as he quickly scanned him for any injury. The boy looked to be around 3 and to SeungHo, his features seemed strangely familiar.

The little boy smiled at him, nodding his head to show he was fine. “I’m fine ahjussi.”

SeungHo’s eyes widened in surprise. “You’re Korean?”

“My daddy is. My mom is French.” The little boy replied.

“I see...” SeungHo said. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Leo.” He said, ing his hand forward for a shake. “Nice to meet you ahjussi.”

SeungHo laughed before taking hold of his hand. “Aigoo... such good manners. Where are your parents though? You can’t be alone right?”

“Shhh...” Leo said as he placed a finger on his lips. “I ran away from daddy. He tried to make me wear these girly shoes. There’s no way I’m going to let him.”

Before SeungHo could utter a reply, a man about his age ran out from a nearby store, calling Leo’s name.

“I think your daddy’s looking for you.” SeungHo said as he ruffled the boy’s hair.

“No!” Leo said and proceeded to quickly hide behind SeungHo’s legs. “Ahjussi, I’m not here ok? Hide me!”

“Err...” SeungHo said. How was he to hide the boy when the father was already running towards him?

“Leo, what are you doing hiding behind this man?” The father asked, huffing slightly.

SeungHo gave a start. He knew that voice. Without looking at his face, he could recognize that voice anywhere. How could he not, when he had been friends with him since they were infants?

“G.O?” SeungHo said hesitantly.

The father raised his head and SeungHo watched as his best friend’s eyes widened in shock.

“SeungHo!”

At a loss of what to say, SeungHo grabbed G.O’s shoulders and pulled him into a hug. He hadn’t seen him in years! How was it that they ended up in the same place? What were the odds?

“How are you man?” SeungHo asked once they pulled apart.

“I’m good! It’s so good to see you again!” G.O replied. Inwardly, SeungHo frowned. He had a feeling his friend wasn’t that excited to see him again. How could that be? Nevertheless, he plastered a smile and nodded.

“Yeah. It’s been years! What happened after the war?” SeungHo asked.

“... I moved straight here.” G.O replied.

“And got married I see.” SeungHo said as he pulled Leo from behind him. “He’s adorable.”

“He’s my son.” G.O said with a laugh. “How’s Suri? She should be around 8 now right?”

“Yeah... She just started school.”

“And Haena?” G.O asked absentmindedly.

SeungHo flashed him a sad smile. “She died during the war... That’s why Suri and I moved here.”

“Oh.” G.O said, his tone apologetic. “I’m so sorry man. I really should’ve contacted you after the war. I just... I didn't know how.”

SeungHo shrugged. “It’s ok. We’re both fine now...”

“You haven’t remarried?”

“I can’t. I’m still in love with her...”

“SeungHo...” G.O sighed.

Before he could continue however, someone called out his name. Turning around, he watched as she made his way towards him, his heart beating rapidly. He tried his hardest to send some sort of signal to her so she would turn back and not approach them, but to no avail. It was too dark and there was no way she could read his signal. She was worse than him at reading people. In an instant, he knew she was within view of SeungHo and he silently prayed that they wouldn’t create a commotion.

Under any other circumstances, he would’ve jumped with joy at finally reuniting with his friend. But his situation was different now. He realized that once SeungHo knew the whole story, he would be blamed and accused of being a traitor. How could he win back his friendship with SeungHo then? How could he justify what he did?

She realised too late that G.O was talking to none other than SeungHo himself. There was no way she could turn back now, not when he had already seen her. She cursed under her breath. She had forgotten to bring her sunglasses! What was she to do? Quickly, she grabbed hold of her scarf and covered the bottom half of her face. As long as she didn't look at him, her identity would still be kept a secret.

“Oppa, you forgot to buy the shoes!” She exclaimed, her voice muffled by the scarf. Her eyes were glued on G.O’s face for fear of straying towards the man standing beside him.

“No! Nana! You bought the shoes? I told you I didn't want it! It’s for girls!” Leo said loudly. “And look, daddy met a friend! This ahjussi is really nice.” Leo added.

SeungHo laughed at Leo’s remark and her eyes flew to his face. She didn't mean to, but the laugh... his laugh... He had absolutely no idea how she missed his laugh, how she longed to hear it all those times that they’ve met... To her, his laugh was more melodious than the Beethoven piece he used to play for her. His laugh could make her feel warm with happiness and her stomach would flutter with butterflies when she looked at his laughing face. She would often think that there was nothing more beautiful than the sound of his laugh. The situation was no different now...

It was only for a split second but he had seen it. He had seen those piercing eyes and his heart literally skipped a beat. Those eyes... No one else had such eyes besides his wife. It had to be his wife. He was mentally and physically fit, he was sane. There was no way he was hallucinating. Before he could question himself further, he grabbed hold of the lady’s arm and uttered his wife’s name.

“Haena?” He said quietly. He felt the muscles in her arm tightened and immediately knew he was right. Forcefully, he turned her around and stared into her eyes.

“No, SeungHo yah. She’s my friend...” G.O stepped in.

“Ani...” SeungHo replied, shaking his head, his eyes still on her. “This is Haena. You’re Haena right?”

She kept shut and averted her eyes. This was not the right time for him to recognize who she was. She didn't want to do it this way... She was scared of the outcome. He wasn’t a forgiving person. What if he’ll never forgive her for what she did?

“I...” She whispered, her scarf still covering her face.

SeungHo emitted a small growl before pushing her hand away. The scarf fell and exposed her face, a face that SeungHo had longed to see all these years. His eyes immediately welled with tears and he pulled her into his arms, burrowing his face in her hair.

“Haena...” He whispered. He called her names time and time again, his arms around her tightening ever so slightly. He didn't want to let go. What if she disappeared once he pulled back? 


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 14. 2012

Wahhh! So sorry for this slightly slow update! I'm so busy lately... heh. Anyways, he finally found out! And what has G.O got to do with anything? I'm gonna keep you guys guessing! Until the next chapter... hahaha. Enjoy! I hope you guys like this chapter! ^^

Btw, I just had to include Leo in here! hahahahaha... he's so adorable on Hello Baby! Haha... And the way i wrote about his laugh, it's truly what I feel. I am in love with his laugh, like seriously! hahaha

P.S: Isn't he gorgeous in the pic?!?!?!?!!? I found a pic of him laughing to capture the essence of the story, so to speak... hahahaha!