“But what if... What if he can’t forgive me?”

Don't Let Go

 

“Appa, hurry up!” Leo exclaimed happily as he tugged at his father’s hand. He ran as fast as his short legs could carry him and urged his father to do the same. He was picking up his Nana from school today and then they would all go and have some fun at the amusement park. His mommy was at work, a fact that was totally fine with him. He knew he’ll have more fun with his Nana anyway...

“Arasso!” G.O huffed in exhaustion. How was it possible that his three year old son run so fast?

“Nana’s going to finish soon! She might leave if we don’t wait for her at the gate!” Leo said.

G.O laughed. “Ani, we already said we’ll pick her up didn't we? She’ll wait for us buddy, don’t worry.”

“Appa... just hurry up!” Leo insisted without looking at his father.

G.O shook his head, amused at his son’s behaviour. Nothing could make him more excited than the notion of playing. He thought Haena had spoiled him too much. He frowned when Haena came to mind. She didn't look so good when she returned that night. He had waited for her to come home but she literally flew past him as she made her way up to her room. When he left them alone, he had a feeling things wouldn’t turn out the way she hoped and after seeing her, he knew he was right. What did Haena say? How did she explain HIS presence in her life? How angry was SeungHo?

“Appa! Where are you going? We’re here already!” Leo shouted from behind. G.O blinked and turned around. How could he just zone out like that?

“Miahnae! I was thinking.” G.O said, a sheepish smile on his face.

“Appa look! Isn’t that the ahjussi we met last time?” Leo asked, pointing at a man walking their way.

G.O looked up and his eyes met SeungHo. He rubbed his hands nervously. What was he supposed to say to his friend?

“Ahjussi!” Leo called out while waving.

SeungHo flashed a small smile at the little boy, aware that the father was watching him like a hawk. Well, he can look all he want, not that he cared of course. His mind recalled the conversation he had a few nights ago with Haena. She refused to tell him how G.O was involved in all of this without telling her whole story. But he had had enough of her story... He knew if he stayed and listened to the rest, he would explode. He might even do something that could hurt the both of them and so without hearing her reason, he left...

He realized he looked horrible. His hair was a mess, he had asked for a leave from his job at the hotel, and the dark circles under his eyes seemed to be darkening by the second. He knew it was wrong, but he had taken up the habit of either ignoring or yelling at Suri whenever she did something he didn't like. He sighed in frustration. His daughter didn't deserve any of this and so he decided that today; he would make it up to her. He would take her to see that movie she had been begging to see for the past few days and then treat her to a truckload of ice cream. He smiled. Yes, his daughter would love that...

But there were a few pressing matters at hand, namely the man standing before him. He knew from the bottom of his heart that there was nothing going on between his friend and his wife... at least not romantically. But then what?

“Hey man...” G.O said with a nervous smile.

SeungHo merely nodded his head and focused his attention on the school, waiting impatiently for his daughter to come out.

“You’re here to pick up Suri?” G.O asked, trying desperately to get his friend to talk.

Again, SeungHo only nodded. G.O sighed in frustration. He was a patient man, but if his friend didn't talk soon, he might just lose his temper.

“Look man...” G.O said again. “I don’t know what happened between you and Haena, but...”

“But what G.O?” SeungHo said finally. “What? How was it that you know more about her than I do? How are you even involved in all of this?”

“Haena didn't tell you?” G.O asked, hesitant. If Haena didn't tell him anything, what right does he have to tell her story?

“Tell me what?” SeungHo asked in irritation. “I can’t believe you’ve been hiding her all this time and didn't even bother to tell me!”

“I didn't hide her ok?” G.O replied grimly. “She asked me to hide her...”

SeungHo frowned. “Why?”

“She didn't tell you the whole story did she?” G.O asked with a sigh. “SeungHo, it’s not my place... You should listen to her...”

SeungHo rubbed his face wearily. He was so tired... He felt as if he had been running for miles. Why had he been kept in secret all these years? What was it that his wife was trying to hide? Suddenly, he found himself wishing that he knew the whole story. If only he had let her finish her story that day...

“Nana!” Leo suddenly shouted with excitement.

Both SeungHo and G.O looked up at the sound of his voice and their eyes zeroed in on the lady in red. She was holding a girl’s hand, her face lit up by her smile. SeungHo gazed at her, his anger slightly dissipating. Yes, this was the lady that he fell in love with 5 years ago, the lady that he’s still in love with despite what she had told him. But why couldn’t he bring himself to listen to her? Was he that afraid? Afraid that maybe if he listened to the rest of her story, he might not be able to forgive her... But how can he not? He would eventually forgive her; he couldn’t stay mad at her forever. She was the mother of his child...

Watching her with Suri brought a small smile to his face. If only she didn't ‘die’, they would still be a happy family... Was that possible now?

“Nana!” Leo called out again, his small hand waving at Haena.

Haena turned her attention from Suri to Leo, who was standing by the gate. Her smile faltered when she noticed SeungHo beside him. She bit her bottom lip anxiously, wondering what he would say to her... Maybe he would just ignore her...

“Daddy!” Suri called out loudly as she ran to him.

“Hey baby girl!” SeungHo said before wrapping his arms tightly around her. “I’ve missed you...”

Suri laughed. “I’ve missed you too daddy. Guess what I did today?”

“What? What did you do today?” SeungHo asked, raising his eyebrow at his daughter.

“Miss Kim, tell him what we did today!” Suri exclaimed excitedly.

“Uhh...” Haena stuttered in response. She met SeungHo’s eyes. She saw no anger there, just disappointment... That broke her heart even more...

“Why can’t you tell me?” SeungHo asked, glancing at his daughter.

“Oh ok! We did a tie-dye t-shirt during art class today! It was fun!” Suri said with a grin.

“Really?” SeungHo said amused.

“Uhh... SeungHo sshi...” Haena cut in. She didn't know why she called him. She had absolutely no idea what to say to him...

“Shall we go?” SeungHo asked Suri, ignoring the fact that Haena just called him. “Let’s go watch that movie you wanted to see.”

Suri’s eyes lit up in anticipation. “Really daddy? Oh my God, come! Let’s go! Miss Kim, I’ll see you tomorrow ok? Bye! Bye mister!” She said as she waved goodbye, impatiently pulling at her father’s hand. Haena watched in misery. They looked happy enough without her... Maybe they are better off without her...

“Hey, you ok?” G.O asked suddenly.

“Huh? Oppa, did you see that? He totally ignored me...” Haena replied.

“Haena yah, did you tell him everything?” G.O asked again.

“No... He never gave me the chance...” She sighed.

“He’s just upset Haena yah... He wouldn’t even talk to me. Why don’t you give him some time? I’m sure he’ll come around...” G.O said softly.

“But what if... What if he can’t forgive me?” Haena asked, her lower lip already trembling.

G.O placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “You can’t think like that... He’ll understand once you tell him everything...”

Will he? She wondered silently. 


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 20. 2012

Here is the next chapter! Please enjoy! ^^