“What? But daddy, you said mommy died!”

Don't Let Go

Story completed on: Jun. 26. 2013

OMG OMG OMG! I completed another story!!! Yeay! This has been a productive semester break! LOL... I love writing this story! I hope you guys like reading it just as much! Thanks so much to everyone who subscribed and commented! I appreciate it alot!!! love you guys!!!! So anyways, without further ado,

I present to you, the last chapter of "Don't Let Go"!!! ^^ Please enjoy!


It was finally time to tell Suri. On the morning they woke up next to each other, SeungHo reminded her that their daughter’s birthday was just right around the corner. Haena thought it was the perfect time for Suri to know. It would be the best present for her. She voiced out her opinion, and SeungHo agreed. They would hold a birthday party for her, and then surprise her with the news. The plan sounded good, but Haena could only hope that execution was just as perfect...

“Honey, are you sure you don't want any friends over?” SeungHo asked worriedly.

Suri giggled and shook her head. “Daddy, even if I wanted to, there’s no time to invite them. My party is in an hour. Besides, I invited Harry didn't I?”

Other friends.” SeungHo emphasized. He liked Harry, he just didn't like the fact that his daughter’s best friend was a boy. She was so used to being around him that she never got the chance to do girly things. Sometimes it saddened him to think that she never really got to live like any other girls. But a small smile made its way onto his face then, when Haena came to mind. Haena would teach her everything she needed to know and more, and they would live happily ever after, he just knew it...

“But I don't want to invite them. Honestly, I’m really only close to Harry at school. You can ask Miss Kim if you want. By the way, she’s coming right?” Suri asked, tying her hair into a ponytail.

“Of course she is! She’ll be here with Leo and G.O uncle in a few.” SeungHo replied.

“Good. Because she said she was going to bake me a cake.” Suri said with a smile.

SeungHo raised his eyebrow. “She’s going to bake you a cake? Really? We’re talking about Miss Kim right?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“Sweetheart, she can’t bake to save her life.” SeungHo scoffed.

“Really? Then why did she offer?”

“Beats me.” SeungHo shrugged before pushing her up the stairs. “Alright honey, the others will be here soon. Go upstairs and change ok? I’ll go start the grill.”

He threw on an apron but before he could make his way out the back, the doorbell rang. He ran to the door and threw it open, the smiling faces of Haena, G.O and Leo greeting him.

“Hey! You guys are early!” He said lightly. He placed a kiss on Haena’s lips, a kiss that would’ve lasted much longer if not for G.O’s forced cough.

“In case you haven’t noticed, my son is here.” G.O said, covering his son’s eyes.

“Daddy, I see you kissing mommy all the time!” Leo exclaimed. He wriggled out of his dad’s embrace and ran inside into the living room, plopping down on the couch with a laugh.

“Yah!” G.O yelled at his son. Then he turned to his friends, and smiled sheepishly. “So... err. It’s kinda awkward standing here with you two so is there something I can help you with SeungHo yah?”

SeungHo chuckled. “Can you start the grill? Charcoal’s in the kitchen, and the meat’s on the counter.”

“Right... err... you guys carry on.” G.O said before walking past them and into the kitchen.

They were still standing by the doorway, and SeungHo leaned against the doorframe lazily, crossing his arms.

“Aren’t you gonna invite me in?” Haena asked, tilting her head to the side.

“Did you tell Suri you’ll bake her a birthday cake?” SeungHo raised his eyebrow.

“Mmm-hmm!” Haena said brightly, holding up the box that she had been holding.

SeungHo peered at it curiously. “Are you sure you didn't buy this from a bakery?”

“Yah! What do you take me for? I can bake you know!” Haena pouted.

“You can’t.” SeungHo pointed out. He stepped to the side to allow Haena entry and then he followed her into the kitchen. “Remember how you almost burned down the house when you tried to bake me a cake?”

Haena huffed, obviously feeling flustered. “That was... years ago! I’ve learned since then!”

“Really?”

“Yah! Haena yah! Where’s the cake we just bought?” G.O asked when he walked into the kitchen.

“It’s uhh... here.” Haena replied meekly. She blushed, her cheeks quickly turning red, and stared at her feet in embarrassment. Trust G.O oppa to always ruin her moment, she thought, silently cursing him to hell.

“What did I tell you?” SeungHo grinned.

“Arasseo! Arasseo!” Haena wailed, throwing her arms in defeat. “I didn't bake it! I bought that before we came here! But I’ll have you know I did try to bake it. It just got burned before I had the chance to remove it from the oven.” She continued, her head hung low.

SeungHo threw his head back and laughed, a good hearty laugh. He wrapped his arms around his wife’s petite frame and buried his face in her strawberry scented hair. He was excited about the surprise and knew that she was too. He couldn't wait for them to be a family again...

“Wow sweetheart, you look beautiful.” Haena gushed admiringly.

SeungHo tore his arms away to look over his shoulder and almost doubled over in shock. His daughter was standing there in a beautiful dress, a nervous expression on her face. Then her face relaxed into a smile when she saw the look on her father’s face.

“Daddy! Are you crying?” She asked, walking over towards him

“Ani!” SeungHo quickly replied as he tried to subtly dab away the unshed tears. “I’m not crying! I don't cry remember?”

“It’s ok SeungHo oppa. We all know what a softie you are.” Haena replied with a laugh.

“I’m not crying!” SeungHo protested loudly before he turned to look at his daughter again. “I can’t believe how big you’ve grown! You look beautiful honey.”

“Thank you daddy.” Suri giggled. “Miss Kim bought this dress for me.”

“It’s a beautiful dress.” SeungHo commented, patting her cheek softly. He stooped down to her eye level and stared at her. “Looks like I can’t call you my little girl anymore huh?”

“Don't be silly daddy. I’ll always be your little girl.” Suri replied. She wrapped her tiny arms around her father’s neck and leaned in to peck his cheek.

“Ok, that’s it. I can’t take this anymore.” Haena groaned.

Suri glanced at her teacher. “Miss Kim, what’s wrong? Are you ok?”

“ Oppa please, can’t we tell her?” Haena begged. It wasn’t fair that only SeungHo was able to receive all that love from their daughter. She was her mother; she deserved just as much love as SeungHo. They had planned to wait until after the meal to tell her the news, but she couldn't take it anymore. It just was not fair...

“I thought we’re going to tell her after?” SeungHo furrowed his brow.

“Oppa please...” Haena pleaded. “It doesn’t matter when. We still have to tell her regardless...”

“Tell me what?” Suri asked in confusion, looking from one adult to the other.

SeungHo sighed and nodded his head. His wife was right, whether they do it sooner or later, they still have to do it. He grabbed Suri and placed her on the stool, before clearing his throat. He turned to look at Haena then, and dropped on one knee, all the while fishing for a velvet box from his pocket. He took it out and opened it, revealing a beautiful ring. This was one part of the plan he didn't share with Haena, and so the shocked expression she wore brought a smile to his face.

He grinned. “Haena sshi, I love you. I have always and will always love you. I realised that when we moved here, all our documents were gone. Even though we know we’re married, by law, we’re not technically married, if you know what I mean. So... will you do me the honour of marrying me... again?”

Haena clasped her hand over her lips to prevent the yell of excitement from escaping. Unable to say anything, she merely nodded her head, Suri watching them in bewilderment.

“Hold on, wait a minute! What’s going on? Daddy, what documents were you talking about? And married again? Again?” Suri asked, shocked. They were married before? When? How did she not know about this? Unless... No, it wasn’t possible, was it? Her mother was dead... right?

After slipping on the ring, both SeungHo and Haena focused their attention on their daughter. “Sweetheart, Miss Kim, ani, her name is Choi Haena, she’s your mother honey.” SeungHo said gently.

Suri’s forehead creased. “What? But daddy, you said mommy died!”

“I thought she did too! But remember how she would always wear her shades whenever I was around? She didn't want me to recognize her.”

“Why?” Suri asked quietly.

“Oh sweetheart....” Haena sighed. “It’s complicated...”

“After the war,” SeungHo quickly cut in, thinking that it would better if the story came from him. “Mommy and I got separated. I was hit, and she was shot. When I woke up, she wasn’t there anymore. I tried looking for her but I really couldn't, so I thought she died. Then I brought you here and we’ve lived here every since...”

“But Miss Kim, I don't understand why you would hide your identity from daddy before...” Suri said slowly.

“Suri I...”

“She was scared baby. She thought I might be angry at her for not looking for us.” SeungHo replied before continuing on with a louder voice, giving no chance for Suri to think his statement over. “Anyways! She really is your mommy Suri yah...”

“Wow...” Suri let out a breath. “This is a lot to take...”

“Are you angry?” Haena asked. Both SeungHo and Haena stared at their daughter, waiting with bated breath for her answer.

Suri turned her head from her father to her teacher, who apparently was her mother now, her mind deep in thought. She could see how happy the two adults were and she couldn't find it in her to be angry. What did she need to be angry about? They were happy, and if they were happy, so was she. There must be a reason why they were separated. But they were together now, wasn’t it fate? And whatever happened between her parents seemed to be resolved, so who was she to stand in the way? Besides, she had wanted them to get together anyway, so this worked out perfectly for her... She stared at her mother, a sudden longing in her heart. She never thought she would ever see her mother ever again. She didn't even know how she looked like; they didn't have a photo of her in the house, in a rush as they were to flee the country.

She realised then that she wanted her mother back, just as much as her father wanted his wife back.

Her face finally broke into a smile, and she wrapped her arms around her mother, hugging her tightly.

“Aniyo... I’m not angry... mommy.” She whispered softly.

“Oh baby, I love you.” Haena said. Overcame with emotions, her tears fell and she showered Suri with kisses, before she cupped her face lovingly. “I’m sorry for leaving you. I didn't mean to, but I’m here now. And I promise to always be here for you...”

Suri nodded her head, her own eyes b with happy tears. “I trust you mommy.”

“I love you both...” SeungHo uttered affectionately as he enveloped them in a hug. “We’re going to be a family again, and we’ll live happily ever after, I promise...”

Suri laughed and placed a kiss first on his cheek, then on her mother’s cheek. “To be a family again... That’s the best present ever...”

-FIN-