“My name... is not Choi Haena.”

Don't Let Go

 

Choi Haena finally succumbed to her heart’s desire and wrapped her arms around him, her head on the crook of his neck fitting snugly. She let her sanity leave her, at least in that moment as she relished the feeling of being in his arms. Ever since she left him five years ago, not one day had passed without her thinking of him and their daughter. There were times when she was so lonely that she almost packed her bags and leave but the fear of rejection always held her back. She was sure he had a million questions for her, but how was she to answer each and every single one? She feared that he would never forgive her if he knew. Slightly trembling, she finally let go of him, her tears unshed.

“Erm...” She mumbled, her fingers carelessly twirling her scarf. She didn't know what else to say... and it didn't help that G.O had left her alone with him.

“Honey...” SeungHo said, his sweet voice penetrating her thoughts.

She looked up and almost wished that the ground would swallow her whole when she noticed how full of love his face was. Her heart ached and her palms began to sweat. Would he still look at her the same way even after she told him everything?

“What happened?” SeungHo finally asked. “You were... dead.”

Haena sighed before shaking her head. There was no way she could keep it from him any longer, not when he had already seen who she truly was.

“No...” She replied almost in a whisper. “I wasn’t.”

“But you were shot! Your dress was covered in blood!” SeungHo said with a frown. He couldn’t comprehend what was going on. How can his wife still be alive? He was there with her the whole time! He had seen everything with his own eyes!

Grabbing his hand, she led the way to a nearby bus stop. When they had sat down, she let her hands rest on her lap before beginning the whole story. She refused to look at him for fear of seeing disappointment etched on his face. What was worse was the fact that the disappointment was due to her...

“Oppa...” She started slowly. “I... didn't die.”

“No...” SeungHo shook his head. “That’s not possible! Haena, what’s going on? Please just tell me...”

Haena sighed again. She wanted to tell him, but how was she to start?

“Oppa, do you remember that first time we talked?” She asked him. If she was to tell him the whole story, she had to start from there... It had all began from there anyway...

“Mmm... I do.” SeungHo nodded. “We were in the library.”

“Oppa, there’s something you don’t know about me.” She said quietly, her head down as she stared at her lap.

“That’s impossible! I know everything about you!”

“My name... is not Choi Haena.” She stated after taking a deep breath. “My real name is Hwang SolMi.”

“Hwang SolMi?” SeungHo muttered as his brow furrowed. That name... It was familiar. Where had he heard it before? Suddenly, his eyes widened in shock and his gaze flew to her face. It couldn’t be!

She watched as realization hit him literally in the face and bit her lip nervously. What was he going to say next?

“You... You’re his daughter?” SeungHo asked, his voice high. “You’re the... enemy’s daughter?”

Slowly, she nodded her head in confirmation. SeungHo’s jaw dropped. How was that even possible?

“But... How... What...” SeungHo asked, unable to form coherent sentences as confusion took over.

“Oppa... I wasn’t supposed to fall in love with you.” Haena cut in. When she received no reply, she continued. Almost as if talking to herself, she delved into the past. “Yes oppa. I’m his daughter. When I was 18, he gave me an important mission. I knew about his plans of wanting to take over the government. I wasn’t very keen with the idea, but he was my father, and there was nothing I could say to change his mind. He was power hungry. He enrolled me in that university and asked me to befriend any soldier in training. He knew the university was pro-government so he didn't care who it was that I chose. As long as I pass him any information that I can get my hands on, he was satisfied.”

She took a glance at him and gulped. He had a serious expression on his face, not to mention he was frowning. Slowly, she picked up where she had left off. It was clear to her he wouldn’t say whatever it was that was on his mind until she finished...

 “When I first came, I was scared. Of course, no one knew who I was. I mean, they knew my name, they just didnt know how I look like. But I never ruled out the possibility of someone figuring out my true identity. I tried to find anyone I can be friends with and that was when I saw you.”

She still remembered how he looked like that day she first saw him. She had just come out from the administration office, her eyes glued on her schedule when a sudden tinkering laugh made her look up. Her eyes were immediately attracted to him. She had never heard such a beautiful sound, nor had she ever see such a beautiful creature. He was wearing a black cap and hoodie, and his face was all smiles. There were a few other guys around him, but her eyes never left his face. When he caught her staring, she immediately looked back down, her cheeks red. It wasn’t long before she noticed him staring back at her and she almost jumped with joy when she realised that he had taken a habit of following her to the library every day after lunch. She didn't think it was right to make him her mission, but whether she used him or not, she had to get to know him.

“Oppa... I fell in love with you the moment I lay my eyes on you. No actually, I fell in love with you the moment I heard you laugh. It was the first thing I noticed about you.” Haena said with a slight smile. At least she was being completely honest. “I didn't want to use you but I had no choice. There was no one else... and I was very attracted to you. Whenever you guys hang around talking about the military plans, didn't you realise how I always manage to be included?”

“Are you telling me that I’ve been exposing my government’s secret to the enemy?”

Her breath hitched. Was that who she was now? His enemy?

“No oppa! What you guys were discussing, when I passed it to my father, he said it wasn’t important... Every time I pass anything to him, he would throw it all away. So I got angry and told him I wouldn’t tell him anything anymore. By that time, I didn't want to use you anymore. I was so in love with you I couldn’t bear to do that to you. I wanted to tell you everything, but I just couldn’t bring myself to open up. Then, you proposed to me.”

It wasn’t a proposal that she had often dream of, but it was still sweet nonetheless. The beautiful sunset and the scenery were perfect. But what was most perfect was the guy who popped the question. The expression on his face was so serious yet gentle and loving at the same time. She remembered how she felt. Her heart was heavily laden with guilt. If she said yes, the life that she would be starting with him would be based on lies and nothing else. But how could she not say yes? Especially with that look on his face?

“You couldn’t have told me before you agreed to marry me?” SeungHo asked, his eyes sharp as he gazed at her.

Haena gulped. “I wanted to oppa, please believe me! But if I tell you, would you still love me?”

“Yes! Do you have that little faith in me? Did you not trust me at all?”

“I don’t know oppa... I don’t know.” Haena mumbled before looking away.

SeungHo closed his eyes and took a deep breath to calm himself down. To say he was angry was an understatement. He was beyond angry. Not to mention, deeply hurt. How can the love of his life lie to him all these years? How can she do this to him? Did she not love him at all?

“Oppa...” She said suddenly, her hand on his arm. “Oppa, please say something...”

“I don’t know what to say Haena...” SeungHo sighed before emitting a loud scoff. “That’s not even your name is it?”

“Oppa, please... Can’t you just for one second imagine being in my shoes? If I tell you everything, you would leave me.” Haena said sadly. “You would run and you won’t even look back. All because I’m the enemy’s daughter...”

“I can’t do this anymore...” SeungHo said before shaking his head. Without giving her another glance, he stood up and was about to walk away when she grabbed hold of his hand.

“Oppa, where are you going? Please stay...” She begged him, her tears falling freely from her eyes. She couldn’t let him go just yet, there were a lot more to this story. She was hoping he could hear her till the end. Maybe then, he might just change his mind...

“I can’t... listen to this anymore...”

“I’m not done...”

“I really don’t want to know anything anymore.” SeungHo said looking away. “But there is one more thing. Where does G.O fit in this story?” 


Chapter Posted on: Feb. 16. 2012

Hey peeps! Here's the continuation of this story! As you guys have probably read, he finally found out! But her story is not yet over! Dun dun dun! I wonder what will happen next! Haha... anyways, enjoy! Hope you guys like the chapter! ^^ Thanks to all the peeps for subcribing and commenting! =)

A special thanks to those few people for always commenting! YOU know who YOU are!!! I love you guys!!! Thanks a lot! The comments usually always make my day! hahaha =D