“Yah Yang Suri, shouldn’t I at least get a kiss?”

Don't Let Go

 

5 years later

“Daddy! Daddy wake up!”

SeungHo groaned at the sound of his daughter’s voice. No... Of all days, she just had to choose today to come and disturb his slumber... Why is it so hard to get some sleep? At least until the sun has risen? Flipping to his back, he reached over and pulled his daughter into his arm, causing laughter to erupt from her lips.

“Daddy... wake up.” She said before squealing.

“Shireo... 5 more minutes.” SeungHo said, shaking his head. His eyes still closed, he run his fingers through her soft hair. He could smell his daughter’s sweet scent and was instantly hit with memories of his wife. He missed her... terribly. He could still recall that day 5 years ago when she died in his arms... How red her dress had become, the look in her eyes, and how chaotic the situation around them was... His only regret was allowing her to come along with him that day. If only he didn't, she would still be here with him and see how well their daughter have grown.

“Daddy...” His daughter’s voice said as she shook his shoulder. “Wake up. I’m going to school today! And it starts in 15 minutes!”

“What?” SeungHo exclaimed, his eyes suddenly wide open. His eyes flew to the clock above the door and he quickly jumped out of bed, cursing under his breath as he ran to the bathroom, his daughter’s laughter ringing in his ear.

At 28 years old, SeungHo looked just like he did at 18, possibly even younger. He was still as handsome as ever with the scar on his right temple as a result of the war added an edge to his look. He kept his hair immaculately styled and his clothes neat and tidy. He would often catch the female population looking at him, but he paid them no heed. His heart had always and will always belong to his late wife...

“Hurry! Hurry!” SeungHo urged his daughter as they ran to the nearest bus stop a while later. Luckily for them, the bus had just arrived and SeungHo helped his daughter in before climbing after her. After they took their seats, his daughter looked out the window and grabbed her father’s hand.

“Daddy! There’s a lady running to catch the bus. Tell the driver to stop!” She exclaimed, her tone somewhat excited.

He didn't know what prompted him to do what he did next. Maybe it was his daughter’s loud voice or maybe it was just pure adrenaline. He practically flew to the door, told the driver to stop the bus before jumping down and grabbing the lady’s hand and pulled her into the bus. Once they were both inside, he waited expectantly for her to express her gratitude... Except she never did. She gave him a once-over, flipped her hair and made her way to the back of the bus. His jaw dropped open in disbelief. Was the lady for real? He had just done something akin to heroism and she just gave him a look? He wanted so badly to go over and give her a piece of his mind but refrained himself from doing so. His daughter was there and there were other passengers as well. He didn't want to cause a scene... Nevertheless, he thought she was rude. He didn't even get a good look at her considering her shades were covering her eyes.

He shook his head before retaking the seat beside his daughter. She watched him, her eyes wide with pity. At 8 years old, he knew she was wise beyond her years. He knew she could tell how angry he was and so he smiled at her, trying to reassure her he was fine.

“Daddy...” She whispered after a few minutes. “The lady is looking at us.”

SeungHo shrugged when the bus came to a stop. “Forget about her. It’s your first day today. Aren’t you excited?”

Before his daughter could reply, the lady from earlier pushed past them and exited the bus. She literally ran away from the bus while SeungHo and his daughter watched in bewilderment. What was up with her?

“Whoa... she really is in a hurry.” His daughter said once they could no longer see her.

SeungHo laughed. “Maybe she had to go to the loo.”

“Daddy!” His daughter reprimanded him jokingly.

“Anyways, does my little princess have everything?” SeungHo asked as they made their way to the school.

“Yes.”

“Pencil case?”

“In the bag.”

“Lunch money?”

“In my wallet which is in my bag.”

“Hmm... what else?” SeungHo asked when they finally stopped in front of the school.

“Daddy, I have everything. Don’t worry ok? Go home.” His daughter said as she tried to push him way.

“Yah... You want to get rid of me that fast? Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you? At least let me stay through the first class...” SeungHo said, sounding slightly upset.

“Aniyo... No need! See, the principle’s coming. I should go now ok daddy? I’ll see you later! Pick me up at 3!” She said as she waved goodbye.

“Yah Yang Suri, shouldn’t I at least get a kiss?” SeungHo asked loudly. He heard her giggle before she ran back to him and planted a wet kiss on his cheek.

“I love you daddy.” She said with a smile.

“I love you too.” SeungHo replied returning her smile with one of his own. “Go have fun. I’ll pick you up later.”

“Ok bye daddy!” She shouted before running towards the principle that was waiting patiently for her.

SeungHo stared at her retreating back, his heart swelling with admiration. Yang Suri... his daughter, the love of his life, the apple of his eye. She was everything to him. There was nothing he wouldn’t do for her. He knew he had spoilt her, but he had no one else to spoil. His wife was long gone and the thought of dating and meeting other women never once crossed his mind. His priority was Yang Suri, and she was all that mattered.

As he made his way slowly back, he thought of his life. Once the war was over, he took Suri and left Korea. His government had won and the man who started the war was dead. He didn't do much to help, but the outcome was good enough for him. The aftermath of the war was too great and the scar it left on him was too deep that he decided to leave. He took the first plane out and found himself in Canada. Life in a foreign land wasn’t easy. He had a child, he couldn’t understand the language and everything he did seemed strange to the locals. He did odd jobs here and there and finally found a stable job as a performer at the Hilton hotel. If he wasn’t performing, he would be helping out in the kitchen, anything to earn extra cash so his daughter can have whatever she wanted. He smiled as thoughts of his daughter came to mind. She was a spitting image of his late wife... The big eyes, the cute nose... Even the way she behaved reminded him of his wife. He wondered how different his life would be if she was still alive. Would they move to Canada? Or would they remain in Korea? Would she be proud of the way their daughter had turn out? She had to be...

He kicked the stone on the pavement as if it was an obstacle in his way. He would be lying if he said he was fine. The truth is, he wasn’t. Sometimes, he would wake up at night in sweat as images of his wife being killed haunted him. He would cry softly into the pillow, his heart yearning agonizingly for her. If he took Suri to a crowded area, he would imagine seeing her. Once, with Suri in his arms, he ran after a girl. He was hit with disappointment when he realised that she wasn’t his wife. He knew, yet the feeling of disappointment was still there... For some reason, he just couldn’t forget her. Maybe he wasn’t willing to let images of her go... at least not yet.

A few hours later, at precisely 3:10, he was by the school gate waiting for his daughter. He was excited to see her, wanting to know how her first day went. He craned his neck trying to spot her as all the children flew past him, but still there was no sign on her. Where was she?

“Daddy!” She suddenly yelled from behind him.

He turned around and breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't know why he was so anxious. But he furrowed his brow in confusion. Why is she holding an ice cream?

“Where did you get the ice cream from?” He asked.

“Oh! Funny story! You know that lady that flew past us this morning, well, it turns out she’s my homeroom teacher!” Suri explained excitedly. “When I told her you’ll be late, you’re always ten minutes late, she took me out to that ice-cream shop across the street. Miss. Kim! Over here!”

He watched as she quickly fumbled for her sunglasses before stopping beside Suri.

“Miss. Kim, this is my daddy, Yang SeungHo. Daddy, this is Miss. Kim.” Suri introduced before her ice cream.

“Nice to meet you.” SeungHo said with a nod of his head. He still couldn’t forgive her for leaving just like she did this morning. And why was she wearing her sunglasses? Didn't she want him to see her? But why? “I hope you’ll take care of Suri well.”

“Don't worry err... Mr. SeungHo. I’m delighted to have her in my class. She’s a lovely girl.” Miss Kim said with a smile. “And about this morning, I’m really sorry. I was late and was quite in a hurry...”

SeungHo stopped listening after she uttered his name. He didn't want to believe it but he just couldn’t stop himself. The way she said his name was exactly the same as the way his wife pronounced it. But that couldn’t be, could it? His wife was dead. And her surname wasn’t even Kim. No, maybe he was thinking too much... He had missed her terribly today... But he couldn’t go around thinking every girl he met is his wife... Maybe it was time to let his wife go...


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 7. 2012

Here is the next chapter! Quite long I think... heh... Hope you guys like it! Enjoy! Don't forget to comment ok? ^^ Thanks to everyone who have subscribed and commented! =D

P.S: Don't you think he looks HOT in the pic?!?!?! hahahaha