“Daddy! You and Miss Kim should go on a date!”

Don't Let Go

 

“Who are you?” He asked again, this time with a frown. He couldn’t for the life of him understand why she was reacting the way she did with him. Who was he to her? Did she know who he was?

Before she could turn around however, there was a frantic knock on the door and someone burst in panting heavily.

“Miss Kim! Your student, I think her name’s Suri. She got into a fight!”

“What?” Miss Kim and SeungHo shouted simultaneously.

“I thought you said she was a good student!” SeungHo exclaimed as he flashed accusing eyes at his daughter’s teacher.

“She is!” Miss Kim replied with a huff. Not bothering to say anything else, she ran out of the room and made her way to the playground, their previous conversation forgotten.

SeungHo stayed for a moment longer before tailing after her. He shook his head. What was his daughter up to now? When he arrived at the playground, he noticed Suri being held back by her teacher while another teacher held back a male student. Wait a minute, his daughter was fighting with a guy? He smiled in admiration at his daughter. That’s my girl! He thought proudly before the reality of the situation sink in. Feeling like he ought to be responsible, he ran over to her.

“What’s going on?” He asked loudly.

“It’s just a slight misunderstanding.” Miss Kim quickly replied as she tried her hardest to refrain Suri from lashing out at the boy.

“No, it’s not! Daddy, he said I’m not perfect!” Suri yelled angrily, her glare murderous as she stared at the boy.

“Of course it’s not! All our mothers came today but yours didn't! Where is she?” The boy jeered as he struggled to be free. “She left you didn't she?”

“My mother is no longer with me you idiot! She’s gone to heaven! She’s in a much better place than you’ll ever be!” Suri exclaimed furiously before tears fell from her eyes. “Don’t you ever talk about my mother again! I hate you!”

“Ok, that’s enough!” SeungHo cut in. “Please take the boy away.” He added before focusing his attention on his daughter.

“Sweetheart...” He said softly, kneeling on the ground to take a better look at her.

“Daddy...” Suri sobbed as she wrapped her arms around SeungHo. “Daddy, he was so mean...”

“Shh...” SeungHo whispered , rubbing her back soothingly. “Don't think about it anymore ok?”

“Daddy... why did mommy die? Why didn't she come with us when we move here?” Suri asked quietly, her tears still flowing freely from her eyes. “I miss her daddy...”

“I do too honey... I miss her too.” SeungHo replied quietly. “But like you said, she’s in a much better place now. I’m pretty sure she’s looking down on you now. Stop crying ok?”

Suri nodded her head slowly before wiping the tears away. Beside her, Miss Kim didn't move a muscle as she stood frozen on the spot, watching the father-daughter interaction. Behind the sunglasses, her eyes glistened with unshed tears. It pained her so much to be there but still unable to do anything... She bit her lip to stifle her sob but failed. SeungHo looked up at her in surprise.

“Are you crying?” He asked.

“No!” She quickly denied as she shook her head. “Suri darling, are you ok now?”

“Yeah.” Suri said with a small smile. “I’m fine Miss Kim. By the way, did daddy ask you anything?”

Miss Kim raised her eyebrow. “He asked me a lot of things today. But what was he supposed to ask?”

“He didn't ask you why you always wear sunglasses when he’s around?” Suri asked surprised. “Daddy! You never asked? I told you to ask!”

SeungHo laughed nervously before covering Suri’s mouth. “Suri, let’s go ok?”

“Miss Kim. Show him your eyes! You told me we have the same eyes! Show them to him!” Suri urged sounding excited.

“Uhh... maybe next time ok sweetheart?” Miss Kim said hesitantly. “I have to go now... Don't worry about what the boy said ok?”

“Yeah...” SeungHo agreed. “Look at Hannah Montana. She grew up without a mother. She turned out fine didn't she?”

“She did!” Suri replied with a laugh while Miss Kim scoffed.

“Is there a problem?” SeungHo asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Unbelievable! You’re raising our daughter with reference to Hannah Montana?” Miss Kim exclaimed incredulously, unaware of her slip-up.

“I’m sorry. Our daughter?” SeungHo asked.

Miss Kim clammed up and inwardly smacked herself. Oh no! That wasn’t supposed to happen!

“I mean... uhh... my student.” She stammered, hurriedly correcting herself. She blurted out her next statement without thinking twice. “Maybe you should date.”

“Exactly! That’s what I’ve been telling him!” Suri said with a nod of her head, thrilled at where the conversation was heading. This was it. If she was to make Miss Kim her mother, this was her chance!

“Daddy! You and Miss Kim should go on a date!” She announced as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Err...” SeungHo started, at a loss of what to say. Where in the world did his daughter get that idea from? Date her teacher? He didn't even know how she looked like! Sure, according to Suri, Miss Kim had the most beautiful eyes ever. But then again, she thought Shrek was cute... Surely that implied something...

“It’s ok. I... yeah, It’s ok.” Miss Kim stuttered, feeling flustered.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” SeungHo asked defensively. Did she think he was not good enough?

“No! It doesn’t mean anything.” She replied quickly. “I’m not allowed to date my student’s father.”

“Oh...” Suri said sounding slightly disappointed before an idea popped in her head. “Then why don’t I move school? That way, you’re not my teacher anymore and you can date my daddy!”

“Suri honey, stop setting us up. We really should go.” SeungHo cut in after having had enough of his daughter’s chattering. He knew there was no end to it once she started. He might as well just stop her before she continued embarrassing him.

“Ok fine.” Suri huffed dejectedly. “But can we please go and have ice cream before we go home?”

SeungHo shook his head at his daughter. “You really do get everything you want don’t you?”

“It’s only because you give me whatever I want.” Suri replied wittily as a smile made its way onto her face.

“C’mon then, let’s go.” SeungHo said with a laugh.

“Come Miss Kim, let’s go.” Suri said and proceeded to grab her teacher’s hand tightly.

“Suri, I really need to get back to class. I have to see the principle.” Miss Kim refused as she tried to pry her hand way.

“No. Come have ice cream with me first then you can go see the principle ok?” Suri said before turning to look at her father. “Daddy, I want chocolate ice cream. Miss Kim said her favourite flavour is strawberry cheesecake. Order that for her ok?”

“You like strawberry cheesecake?” SeungHo asked as he focused his eyes on Miss Kim.

She nodded her head slowly. “I do. Why?”

SeungHo shrugged. “My wife... she used to eat strawberry cheesecake ice-cream all the time.”

“Oh...” Was all that came out of Miss Kim’s mouth.

At the junction while waiting to cross, they looked aimlessly at their surroundings. Unfortunately for them, they chose the same moment to turn and look at each other while Suri was stuck in the middle, one hand holding SeungHo’s hand while the other held Miss Kim’s. She glanced first at her father before directing her gaze at her teacher, a smile on her face. She could sense something going on between the two adults and she was more than ecstatic. Her daddy needed someone and she thought Miss Kim was the perfect person. He had been pining too long for her dead mother that she thought it was time for him to meet someone else. Who better than Miss Kim?

They were about to cross the road, when a shout from behind stopped Miss Kim in her tracks.

“Yah! Choi Haena!” 


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 10. 2012

*insert evil laugh* Who's name is that?!?!?! Lol... Be patient my fellow readers, I will soon reveal everything. I just don't know when yet! hahaha... Hope you guys like the chapter! Please enjoy! ^^