“Miss Kim, whose hand will you be holding?”

Don't Let Go

SeungHo ran a comb through his hair, only to mess it up again with his other hand. He sighed. Why was it so hard to style his hair this morning? He gave his outfit a once-over and scrunched up his handsome face, appalled at his choice of shirt. He made his way to his bed and picked up the black shirt, comparing it with the one he was wearing. A sigh escaped his lips. He had no idea which one was better. In all honesty, he knew he looked the same with either one, but he was trying to impress someone today, and ‘plain’ was not an option.

“Suri!” He called out to his daughter.

“Yes daddy?” He heard her.

“Can you come here for a minute darling?” He said. A while later, his daughter walked into his room and sat on his bed, already fully dressed.

“What is it daddy?” She asked before taking a bite out of the sandwich in her hand.

SeungHo showed her the black shirt, and asked for her opinion. “Do you think this black one is better? Or is the red one I’m wearing ok?”

Suri giggled and pointed at the red shirt he was wearing. “Definitely the red one.” She said. “But daddy, why are you so concerned about what you wear today? Who are you trying to impress?”

SeungHo scoffed, trying to brush off the question. “Nobody. Are you done? We have to get going soon.”

She stood up from the bed and patted her father’s arm. “Daddy, I was done half an hour ago. And just to let you know, we are already 10 minutes late.”

“What?” He exclaimed. Quickly he ran his fingers through his hair, deciding that it didn't matter how it looked. He was going to wear a cap anyway. He threw on a pair of shoes and grabbed Suri’s hand, before running towards the bus stop, just in time to catch the bus that was starting to leave.

He fidgeted in his seat all the way towards school, hoping Suri did not notice how nervous he actually was. He was going out with his wife today. Well, it wasn’t a date per se, but regardless, he was going to be with her in a new setting, albeit with a bunch of 8 year olds. Yes, Suri’s class was having a trip to the zoo today, and he had volunteered as an extra chaperone. He didn't want to take care of the children, all he wanted was to spend some time with his wife. He didn't know how he was going to get her to be alone with him, but he will manage it... somehow.

“Daddy, I thought you have a show to play for some VIP guests today.” Suri said as they walked the rest of the way to school.

“Huh? Oh yes, I cancelled that.” He said as he fixed his cap.

Suri peered up at her father. “Why? I remember you told me all of last week how important it was, and how you were going to get a big bonus from it. Why did you suddenly cancel it?”

“I...I volunteered to be a chaperone remember?” SeungHo said, laughing nervously. Why was his daughter so observant today?

“Like yeahhh...” His daughter replied, an obvious expression on her face. “But why? Don't tell me it’s because you want to take care of a bunch of kids? Because daddy, let me tell you something. You can’t even handle one...”

He laughed then, catching Suri by surprise. She had never heard him laugh like that for as long as she remembered. It was so carefree, so effortless... His laughs before were always so forced, so controlled and they never reached his eyes. This time though, his eyes shone and he was genuinely laughing. She realised how beautiful his laugh was, and wondered what brought about this change in him. He was a lot happier lately too... There must be something that changed him.

The past week flashed through her mind when her brain finally settled on a person. Miss Kim... Was she the reason why? She had seen how much more often her father smiled at her teacher, not to mention, there was just something in his smile... Some secret that only they seemed to know. Not that she minded of course, she hoped they would get together. Her father had been single for far too long. Suddenly, a brilliant idea, well, brilliant enough for an 8 year old, popped in her head, and she smiled to herself. Yes, she will do just that...

“SeungHo sshi!” Someone suddenly called out. Both father and daughter turned to look, identical smiles on their faces.

“Miss Kim!” Suri replied, waving her hand.

“Thank goodness you guys made it. I was just about to call! I thought you guys overslept.” She grinned. She patted Suri’s head and kept her eyes on her little girl. She was scared that if she looked at him, her heart would stop beating and she would drop everything that she was holding. It was true that for the past week, she made sure she sent Suri to the gate every day. She made sure her hair was just the way she wanted it to be, her lipstick the right amount, before SeungHo appeared to pick Suri up. She would try whenever she could, to bump shoulders with him, to brush against his hand whenever they talk, aware that Suri was watching them like a hawk. Well, their daughter wanted them back together, and she would try her very best to make her wish come true. After all, it was her wish too...

“We didn't. Daddy just took ages to get ready.” Suri giggled before walking over to her friends who were being ushered into the bus by Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Jackson, two teachers that were coming along.

“Erm, shall we?” Haena said, gesturing towards the bus. She didn't know why she was so nervous. He was her husband for goodness sake. She shouldn’t be this nervous. She took a deep breath as she stepped onto the bus, her knees shaky. She miscalculated her step and would’ve tumbled to the ground if not for his quick reflex. He caught her waist and steadied her.

“Are you ok?” He asked, his voice laced with concern.

Haena smiled, mentally cursing herself. “I’m so clumsy...”

“You are.” SeungHo simply replied, returning her smile with one of his own. She was so attractive, what with the way the blush crept up her cheeks, not to mention that awkward smile she was flashing him. He wanted nothing more than to wrap his arm around her, and placed his lips on her plump pink lips. He managed to stop himself just in time when the sound of children’s laughter resounded throughout the bus. Right, this was definitely not the right place to grab her and kiss her senseless... Nevertheless, he will find a place once they reach the zoo. Inwardly, he smacked himself. What happened to take it slow, SeungHo? He yelled in his head. They were supposed to start over... They were supposed to take it slow... But then again, she was his legal wife. So technically, taking it slow didn't even make sense for a couple who was legally married... right?

“Ok kids, I want to remind you guys again to always hold hands with the one you are paired up with understand? Do not stray away from the group ok? And if you have any problems, you must approach any one of us ok?” She instructed the whole class. “Any question?”

“Miss Kim, whose hand will you be holding?” Harry asked with a laugh. She raised her eyebrow at him. She recognized him as being Suri’s best friend, and had no doubt that it was Suri who told him to ask the question.

“Why do you ask Harry?” Suri said, grinning. “It’s not like Miss Kim’s gonna hold your hand. She’ll be holding my daddy’s hand of course. He doesn’t have anyone to hold hands with, considering I’m holding hands with you.”

“Ok, that’s enough.” Haena said, aware that SeungHo’s eyes were on her. Kids these days were getting too smart for their own good. She made one final head count before telling the driver to start the engine. Then she made her way over to the only available seat in the bus, next to SeungHo.

“You seem excited.” SeungHo commented once they were on their way.

“Of course I’m excited!” She said as enthusiastically as she could. “We’re going to the zoo! I love the zoo!” What the hell was she blabbering about?

SeungHo raised his eyebrow. “Really?”

“Of course!” She nodded her head. “We’re gonna see... monkeys! And giraffes! And crocodiles!” Oh God, what are you saying Haena? She screamed in her head. She wished the floor beneath her feet would open up and swallow her whole, saving herself from further embarrassment. Why was she acting this way?

He laughed, trying to cover up his own nervousness. He was very conscious of the way their thighs kept brushing against each other, and the way she ran her fingers through her hair, keeping them from blocking her view. He growled under his breath and mumbled something incoherent to her.

“What was that?” She said, tucking her hair behind her right ear for a better hearing. He gulped, suddenly remembering the things he used to do to that ear.

“You’re torturing me.” He said through pursed lips, his expression as if in pain.

“Oh... erm...” Haena said, her brow furrowed.

Unable to take it any longer, he grabbed her hand and quickly placed a kiss on it, before anyone could see. Thought it was very tempting, kissing her lips would be dangerous, since it was neither the right place nor the right time... He looked at her, and winked.

“You know what, I’m excited too.” He said after finding his composure.

“Oh really? Why?” She stuttered nervously.

He smiled, and placed his head on her shoulder, keeping her hand tight in his. “Because I get to spend the whole day today with you...” 

 


Chapter Posted on: Jun. 5. 2013

OMG! I'm so sorry for not updating this story! This chapter is like, one year overdue! Again, I'm so sorry! I had writer's block. Seriously had no idea where the story was gonna go... But not to worry! Like MBLAQ's comeback with "Smoky Girl', looooove the song and mv btw, I too have made a comeback. Hahahaha... Thanks to those who are still subscribed to the story! I will finish it! Do not fret! Hahaha... Hope you guys like this chapter! =D Please enjoy!!!!