“She took after her mother.”

Don't Let Go

 

“Honey, can I ask you a question?” SeungHo said one night after dinner.

“Mmm... what is it?” His daughter asked, her brow furrowed as she concentrated on the drawing she just drew.

“Your teacher...”

“You mean Miss Kim?”

“Yeah, her.” SeungHo said with a nod. “Does she have problems with her eyes?”

“What do you mean daddy?” Suri asked.

“Does she wear her sunglasses in class?” SeungHo asked as he looked expectantly at his daughter.

Suri looked up in surprise before shaking her head. “No daddy, of course not! Why would she wear it in class?”

“But she’s always wearing it when I see her.” SeungHo replied with a frown, his fingers carelessly playing with his daughter’s books. He didn't know why it intrigued him so much. Counting his daughter’s first day, he had met Miss Kim for a total of 5 times. And all those times she would wear her sunglasses without fail. Why didn't she want him to see her face? Not that he really cared of course. He was just curious. There was something about her that bothered him and he wanted to know why...

Suri shrugged as she returned to her drawing. “I don’t know daddy. She doesn’t wear it when she talks to my friend’s parents.”

“Really?” SeungHo asked, surprised.

“Yeah.” Suri nodded. “Anyway, you have a meeting with her tomorrow right? Why don’t you ask her?”

“Do you think I should?” SeungHo asked, seriously considering his daughter’s opinion.

“Why not? Daddy, she has the most gorgeous eyes ever! I think it’s the best features of her face. She said I have the same eyes as her...” Suri said excitedly. “She’s very pretty. When I grow up, I want to look just like her. Daddy, I think you should date her!”

SeungHo raised his eyebrow. Since when did his daughter learn about dating? “Date her? Where did you get that from? Have you been watching Hanna Montana with your nanny again? I told her you’re not allowed to watch!”

“But daddy! I’m already 8! I’m old enough to watch Hanna Montana!” Suri pouted.

SeungHo let out a small laugh, shaking his head at his daughter. “Arasseo, fine... But you must promise me from now on, that you’ll watch only after you finish your homework.”

A smile made its way to Suri’s face and she nodded. “Deal. Let’s go to bed.”

“But you haven’t even touched your Math homework yet!”

Suri giggled before running up the stairs. “It’s not due tomorrow and I’m sleepy. Good night daddy! Come tuck me in later!”

When SeungHo woke up the next morning, he noticed a black shirt carefully draped on the back of the chair in his room. He smiled. His daughter had picked out his outfit for the day. Who was he to object? He nodded in satisfaction. She had good taste, just like him... Like father, like daughter.

“Morning sweetheart.” SeungHo said as he made his way to the living room a while later wearing the shirt Suri had chosen for him.

“Good morning daddy! You look good today!” Suri said, a big grin on her face.

SeungHo laughed. “You’ll have to thank my stylist for that. Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah, c’mon. Let’s go.” Suri said with a nod.

“So, what kind of stuff will Miss Kim tell me about you?” SeungHo asked his daughter playfully once they arrived at the school.

“Oh. She’ll tell you I’m an absolute angel.” Suri replied, nodding her head enthusiastically.

“Are you sure she won’t say you’ve been behaving badly?” SeungHo asked again.

“No!” Suri replied horrified. “If she says stuff like that, don’t believe her! She’s lying!”

“Really? I should trust my daughter more than I trust her right?”

“Yes, you should.” Suri said with a firm nod of her head. “I’ll go and wait at the playground ok? You go inside.”

“Ok. Don't go anywhere else!” SeungHo reminded her before she ran out the hall.

He took a deep breath as he stood before the door that would lead him to her. He didn't know why he was nervous as hell... It wasn’t as if he was meeting the president. Cool it SeungHo, he silently told himself. After taking a long deep breath, he knocked on the door.

“C’mon in.” He heard her say from inside.

He twisted the knob on the door and stepped in. When he saw her with sunglasses, he hid his disappointment behind a smile. He nodded his head and took the seat opposite her.

Before she had the chance to open , he blurted out the question that had been bugging him since they first met. “Why do you always wear sunglasses whenever I’m around?”

“Pardon?” She said, a bit taken aback.

“Uhh... never mind.” SeungHo said, shaking his head. “You’re Korean right? Do you mind if we speak in Korean?”

“I am Korean but I’m afraid I can’t speak. English is my native language.” She replied, sounding slightly hesitant.

“Oh...” SeungHo said. “So, erm...”

“Uhh... right. Obviously you want to know about Suri.” She quickly cut in.

“I do.” SeungHo replied. He could sense the awkwardness between them, and he just couldn’t wait to leave the room.

“She’s a lovely girl. She works extremely hard and she has made a lot of friends since she came. She’s seriously a joy to have.” Miss Kim said, her tone proud.

SeungHo smiled. “She took after her mother.”

“Yeah I know.” Miss Kim said without thinking.

SeungHo frowned. “You know?”

“Uhh... I mean... uhh... she’s... told me before.” Miss Kim stammered, looking away.

“...Ok...” SeungHo said, unconvinced. There was something strange about her. He just couldn’t put his finger on what it is... Had Suri really told her before? If she didn't, how would the teacher know?

“Uhh... well, there seems to be nothing else to say about Suri. I’m really glad she came to my class.” Miss Kim said after a while.

“Right.” SeungHo nodded. “So, I can go?”

“Yeah.” Miss Kim replied. She tried to smile, but he thought it looked more like a grimace. “Tell her I say hi.”

“Will do.” SeungHo replied before exiting the room. Once outside, he let out the breath he was holding. He didn't know what it was, but being in her presence felt familiar to him. He frowned. The only girl that he had ever been close with was his wife. There was no way... No, it couldn’t be. And he still didn't manage to take a good look at her face and see her gorgeous eyes as his daughter put it. Bubbling with curiosity, he decided then and there to march back into the room and demand her to take off her sunglasses. Before he could knock on the door however, he heard her speaking to someone. Pressing his ear against the door, he tried to listen to her phone conversation.

“Yes, it’s him... Ottokke? What should I do? I don’t know what to do... Oppa, help me. I’m scared. No, he doesn’t know. I don’t know how long I can keep it a secret...”

He didn't hear everything, but that was the gist of the conversation. She sounded upset but why? And she had lied to him. She said she couldn’t speak Korean, but she just did to whoever it was that was on the line with her. Why did she lie? And what secret was she talking about?

Unable to hold it in any longer, he opened the door and stepped in, wanting to confront her.

“Turn around please.” He said to her back. He watched as her shoulders stiffened and frowned. Why was she reacting this way? He heard a sniff coming from her. She was crying? Why? Did she know something he didn’t?

“Who are you?” He asked quietly. 


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 8. 2012

Yay! Another update!!! hahaha... Hope you guys like it! Enjoy! Who do you think she was talking to? Shh! Secret! hahaha ^^