“Oppa, will you do something for me?”

Don't Let Go

 

“Leave... now.” He said, his voice pleading and urging her to do what he requested.

Stubbornly, she shook her head. “Yah Yang SeungHo, which part of ‘I’m staying with you’ don’t you understand?”

He was beside her in an instant, his grip on her arm tight and painful. “Please, just leave me. I’ll be fine. I need you to go and hide. Please... just do this for me?”

A tear fell from her eye. It hurt her that he wanted to send her away. It hurt her that he didn't want her by his side. Hadn’t she promised him that she would be with him through thick and thin?

“SeungHo, I... you know I won’t leave you.” She replied quietly, her head shaking.

He sighed in frustration. He knew she would refuse and so her refusal came as no surprise to him. But... they were fast approaching. How was he to keep her safe?

“Ok.” He gave in finally. “But you must promise me that you’ll never let go of my hand.”

She slightly smiled. She didn't have to be told to do that... she would gladly hold his hand. “I will...”

“C’mon then, let’s go.” He said, leaving the house that they both have grown to love, with her in tow. He made sure she couldn’t turn around. He didn't want her to see what they would be leaving behind... He didn't want to cause her any more sadness...

The street was dark, the sky darkened by the grey clouds. SeungHo covered his mouth and told her to do the same. Inhaling the smoke would be bad for them. Inwardly, he chuckled to himself. Why was he worried about such trivial things when there were worse things waiting to kill them?

“SeungHo...” She whispered suddenly, pointing at a silhouette a few feet away.

“...” SeungHo cursed under his breath, pulling her into hiding.

“That was them wasn’t it?” She asked curiously.

In spite of their grave situation, he managed to smile at her tone of voice. “Yes, it’s them. And they have guns... They’re dangerous. I really wish you didn't come with me...”

Beside him, she huffed in frustration. “Are we seriously talking about this again?”

“I...”

“Stop it! I’m coming with you. We’re going to get that document, and we’re going to hand these people over.” She said, determined.

He raised his eyebrow at her, amused at her childish thoughts. “This is war. This isn’t hide and seek... Never mind, let’s just go.”

They cautiously stepped away from their hiding spot and continued making their way to their destination. SeungHo’s steps were heavily laden with guilt. He really shouldn’t have brought her along. He was literally putting her in harm’s way, right in the middle of the battlefield. What if he was to lose her to a gunshot? No, he shook his head furiously. He would not allow such thoughts to interfere with his mission. He will quickly get those documents and bring her to safety once again...

The phone in his pocket vibrated. He fished it out quickly and scanned through the text message. Backup would be coming soon and he prayed to God it would come sooner. He needed them if he was to keep her safe...

“SeungHo yah...”

“Shh... we’re almost there...” SeungHo whispered once they were on enemy ground. He felt the grip on his right hand tightened and knew she was scared. He tried to show her a composed face but he was very well aware that she could see right through his facade. Well, that was the best he could do...

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a gunshot was heard and the bullet flew past his face. He ducked down, pulling her into his arm and covering her with his body.

“Are you ok?” He quickly asked her, his face stricken with panic. “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine...” She slowly replied, her lower lip trembling as she touched his face. “SeungHo, you’re bleeding! SeungHo!”

“Don’t worry about me!” He said urgently. “Quickly! Get up! We have to get out of here!”

It was a situation he feared the most and yet, there he was... with her nonetheless. The enemy had realised their presence and he knew they would stopped at nothing to have him and her killed. He didn't know what his government was thinking for even sending him here. Have they made it their mission to have him killed? He was not a soldier of important rank and he knew even after he accepted the job that there was no way he could carry it out without blowing it. What were they thinking?

 He could hear gunshots being fired at them and he frantically pulled her to her feet. They ran as fast as they could, him wishing that help would come soon.

“SeungHo! I can’t run anymore...” She said beside him, out of breath.

“No! Please run! Just run!” He cried in frustration.

The shouts of his backup were heard all of a sudden and he let go of the breath he didn't know he was holding. Help was here at last. The mission had failed, but help had come and now he would get her to safety... No matter what happened, she had to be safe...

He heard another gunshot, closer this time, and the grip that was so tight on his right hand suddenly loosened. He turned around to look and cried out in anguish. She had a surprised look on her face and the yellow sundress she was wearing was stained red, the stain getting larger by the second.

“NO!” SeungHo shouted agonizingly as she fell limp in his arm, his other hand on her chest in a desperate attempt to try and stop the bleeding. “No! Please don’t leave me!”

She simply smiled at him and caressed his cheek lovingly. “SeungHo oppa...”

“This is all my fault!” He mumbled into her hair. “I shouldn’t have brought you along... I’m so sorry!”

“Oppa...” She softly said as she looked into his eyes. “Don't blame yourself please, I wanted to come along. It was my choice...”

“No...” He muttered, his tears dropping on her cheeks. He looked around frantically, and cursed under his breath when he saw the backup army was nowhere near him.

“Oppa, will you do something for me?” She asked before wincing slightly in pain.

“Anything...”

“Kiss me...”

Right then and there while the battle was raging, he kissed her with all his might. He put in everything he had left into that one kiss, and it was tender and passionate, just the way they both liked it. He poured all his emotions into it, his love for her, the happiness they shared, the tears they’ve cried... they were all there... He knew it was the last time he would kiss her and his heart ached.

“Oppa...” She said, her voice getting quieter.

“Yes baby?” He said through his sobs.

“All these times that I’ve been married to you, I’ve never once regretted it. I love you more every single day. I love everything about you. I love your eyes when they look lovingly at me, I love your lips when they kiss me tenderly, I love your nose when you sniff my hair, I love you... And even though I’ll no longer be with you, I’ll always love you...”

“Please... don’t say things like that... Please...” He cried silently into her hair.

“Oppa, take care of our little girl ok? She’s only 3 so she’ll get over it once she grows older. You must promise me she’ll grow up to be the girl we’ve always wanted her to be...”

“Baby...”

“Oppa!” She urged him. “Please promise me...”

SeungHo looked at his wife’s face, his cheeks stained with his tears before nodding his head. “I promise... I love you. Our daughter loves you too...”


 

Chapter Posted on: Jan. 30. 2012

Here is the first chapter!!! I hope you guys like it! ENJOY! =D Don't forget to read and comment ok? =D