Chapter 5

The Wolf and The Hunter

Hohyeon took Jisung's place for the next couple weeks, something Kihyun didn't mind too much. Hohyeon wasn't too intruding when it came to their pack life so Kihyun was okay with him being there.

Kihyun was out doing some grocery shopping with Jeongin, getting stuff for dinner and a spontaneous barbecue that Changkhyun said would happen later. "Spontaneous barbecues eh?" Asked Jeongin as he followed Kihyun around the supermarket. "It doesn't happen often," remarked Kihyun. "But I guess it's for everyone since we do have everyone home now," he said. "Mm," said Jeongin. "Go get some packs of soda and meet me in the meat section," said Kihyun. "Sure," said Jeongin as he ran to get soda. Kihyun went to get burgers and hot dogs for the barbecue, stopping by the bread aisle to get buns.

Jeongin came over with an arm full of 12 packs of soda, moving them into the cart. "That enough?" He asked. "Yeah," said Kihyun as he went to get the hamburgers and hot dogs. "Do you think Kangmin and them are coming?" Asked Jeongin. "I don't know," said Kihyun. "It's an open invitation I think," he said. "We don't own the land out there so," he said, shrugging. "I guess," said Jeongin. Kihyun grabbed what he needed and went to check out with Jeongin following after him. After packing up Jeongin's truck with all their groceries Jeongin drove home with Kihyun in the passenger seat.

Once there Changkhyun came over from the backyard, dragging 3 empty coolers along and going to load all the food into 2 while putting all the drinks into the third one. Jeongin got out to help, and Kihyun went to help Jooheon drag the grill to the lake. Cory manned the grill, keeping the cooler with the burgers and hot dogs sitting nearby as he sat on the cooler with the buns. Kihyun laid out the blanket, moving it closer to where the grill was and sitting down on it and conversing with Jooheon while the others were in their own area of the clearing.

It was a bit later in the day when their neighbors showed up, bringing along two new faces. "Oh, the stateside team returned eh?" Asked Kihyun as he spotted them. "Yeah, we would've gotten here earlier but Kangmin wanted to bake cookies," human Jisung said with a chuckle. "Not gonna lie, those cookies were really good," Cory said with a grin. "Come on over, we got hot dogs and hamburgers," he said. "Go on," said human Jisung, nodding to Siwoo and Hakmin who run to get burgers. Hohyeon and Kangmin walk over, Kangmin putting the cookies on one of the coolers. Everyone came over to get some cookies, going back to their usual spot afterwards.

Siwoo and Hakmin stayed near Hohyeon and Kangmin as they conversed with Doyoung, Hoseok and Hyunjin, talking about missions and things. Human Jisung walked over to Kihyun after getting a burger and some cookies and a drink, sitting down after Kihyun moved to let him sit down.

"How'd missions go?" Asked Kihyun. "Fine," said human Jisung as he ate his burger. "Good to be home though, we got money to get our Asian team back home now at least," he said. "Nice, nice," said Kihyun.

"Your other teammates aren't very social are they?" Asked Jooheon. Human Jisung chuckled some. "Not really, but they don't mind getting free food," he said. "Those two aren't the most fun to be around, at least if you want them to socialize," he said. "You need to talk to my roommate and his teammate for partying," he said, laughing some. "Sounds fun," said Jooheon.

Sunggyu came over just before the barbecue ended, having been out hunting the entire time. "Ah, hey Sunggyu," said Cory. "Heya," said Sunggyu as he scratched the back of his head. "We got missions again," he said. "Did we?" Asked wolf Jisung as he got up, walking over. "Man, I wanted to enjoy another month of being home," Cory said with a sigh.

"Kris at it again with sending you three out?" Asked Changkhyun. "Well we did say we'd be the most active," said Cory. "Good luck and stay safe then," said Jungkook. "Sure," said Cory. He then left with Sunggyu and wolf Jisung. After a while Kihyun and Jooheon went to clean up the grill, dragging it back with Jeongin, Hyunjin and Hoseok dragging the coolers back. Human Jisung and the others helped drag some of the other stuff back before heading to their house.

"No going out to the lake tonight?" Asked Changkhyun as Kihyun helped put things away. "I might, but we'll see," said Kihyun. "Leave him be," said Jungkook as he walked over. "You can see how much calmer he is," he said. "I guess," said Changkhyun as he scratched the back of his head. "I won't let it get far," said Kihyun. "Besides, I have a choice in the matter," he said. "If it doesn't work out in the end, I'll just deal with my insanity again," he said. "I'm not saying that it won't work out," said Changkhyun. "I know," said Kihyun. "But it might not work out," he said. "Yeah, I guess," said Changkhyun as he sighed a bit. "No worries," said Jungkook. "We're here for you if it doesn't," he said. "I know," said Kihyun as he got done. "I'll be at the lake then," he called before going to grab his phone and head out.

Jisung was already waiting for him, having moved the blanket back to its usual spot as he sat on it, leaning back on his hands and looking up at the sky. "Didn't want to stay with the others tonight?" Asked Kihyun as he walked over and sat down. "Nah," said Jisung as he shook his head. "I think Hakmin and Siwoo are aware of my being out here already, they weren't too surprised that I announced that I was going out for a while," he said. Kihyun hummed in response as he nodded.

"I think one day we'll end up falling asleep out here," said Jisung as he shook his head. "If that's the case then we'd need to bring a tent," Kihyun said with a chuckle. Jisung laughs. "Yeah, I guess," he said.

"Where is our... Friendship going?" Jisung asked suddenly. "Ah?" Asked Kihyun as he turned his head to look at Jisung. "What do you mean?" He asked. "We've been doing this for a few months now," said Jisung. "From what I learned from the others you lost your mate and you're battling your own insanity," he said. "Am I being used for that?" He asked. "No! No," said Kihyun as he shook his head. "I was warned by my alpha anyway, I know not to push it too far," he said.

"You're a friend," he said. "I'm not using you to help with my insanity, if that was the case then I'd ask you to become my mate," he said. "I'm a companion then?" Asked Jisung. "Pretty much," said Kihyun as he scratched the back of his head. "I'm very aware of the between us," he said. "If we were going to push it any farther I'd wait until you were closer to my technical age," he said. "Okay," said Jisung.

"Do you want to push it farther?" Asked Kihyun. "No, I mean, not right now," said Jisung. "I understand wanting to wait too," he said. "Not that there's anything wrong with it," he added. "I enjoy your company, but I want to let you know of my past first," he said. "So it will clear things a bit between us I guess," he said. Kihyun hummed in response. "Alright," he said.