Chapter 20

The Wolf and The Hunter

As everyone started to come back to their respective houses Kihyun and human Jisung prepared for their departure, though not without one more dinner at Taeseon's place with everyone first. And of course, their last night out at the lake until they both got back.

Changkhyun sent out Kihyun to get groceries to help with the barbecue, since it was something both groups could agree on, and Kihyun got to go with human Jisung to get ingredients that both groups liked so they didn't discriminate. The barbecue was more of a congrats for becoming mates thing, though there was one more party for when they decided it was time to leave.

"Did you get what your team needed?" Asked Kihyun as he met Jisung in an aisle. "Yeah," said Jisung as he put everything into the cart. "It was nice to combine a giant barbecue for both groups," he said. "It was Changkhyun's idea at first, and then we decided to have a barbecue for us, and then Taeseon jumped in on the idea," he said. "Good thing it's not as hot anymore," said Jisung. Kihyun chuckled. "It's bad for you, you'll get sick remember," he said. "Oh right," Jisung said, rolling his eyes. After checking out their items, with Jeno being the cashier and him clocking out afterwards they headed to get Jungwoo before heading home.

After getting help getting everything into their respective coolers human Jisung ran to get his team while Kihyun, Jooheon, Cory, Youngjae and wolf Jisung help carry everything to the lake. To help lighten the load Taeseon brought his own grill to the lake with Jihun and Hayoung helping take everything else.

Cory and Taeseon handled the grills, Cory taking hamburgers and Taeseon taking the hotdogs as they set up next to each other, making small conversation. Hyunwoo hung out with human Jisung as human Jisung stayed near Kihyun as he conversed with the rest of his pack. The rest of Taeseon's team scattered around, making small talk with the rest of Kihyun's pack.

"So the one who doesn't like missions finally gets sent out eh?" Asked Hyunwoo as he grinned. "Hey now," said human Jisung as he lightly punched Hyunwoo in the shoulder. "Just keep my roommate safe will you?" Hyunwoo asked Kihyun. "I'll do what I can," said Kihyun. "Besides, we'll be all over," he said. "Maybe we'll run into other teams while out," said human Jisung. "It's possible," said Jihun as he walked over. "Just wanted to come say congrats and good luck," he said. Human Jisung nodded.

Somehow the 4 youngest in Taeseon's team and Jeongin got into a water balloon fight, causing Taeseon and Cory to close the grill so that the food wouldn't get wet as they joined in, with everyone else scrambling to get their water balloons and get in cover as everyone laughs, everyone getting hit with a balloon at one point.

There was a dramatic moment when Kihyun got hit in the chest with a water balloon and collapsed, with human Jisung running over and yelling not to die yet as he held onto Kihyun, fake sobbing. It had caused everyone to pause, though they knew it was faked by the way Kihyun was grinning with his eyes closed.

"Okay, you can stop now," called Cory, causing a groan to come from Kihyun and human Jisung as the fight resumed, them moving to cover as they both threw water balloons at the others.

After a while everyone sat to eat, just enjoying the afternoon and making small talk. The wolves were the wettest but they got the others back by dropping their illusions and shaking the water out of their fur before going to eat.

"Good luck on your long term mission then," said Taeseon as they cleaned up after the barbecue. "And you have my blessing I guess," he said, turning to Kihyun. "Just don't get him killed or you're dead," he said. "I'll do my best," said Kihyun. "And thank you," he said. "We won't be leaving just yet, just doing some last minute things but," he said, shrugging.

"Heard you were gonna spend the night out here," called Changkhyun as he walked over. "Yeah, was going to spend one last night out here before we left," said Kihyun. "Have fun then, don't do anything stupid," Changkhyun said with a chuckle. Kihyun shook his head. "You know I won't," he said. "Same," said human Jisung. "We'll leave you be then," said Taeseon before he left with the rest of his team, Changkhyun leaving with the rest of his pack soon after, dragging everything back.

Jisung went to set up the blanket with Kihyun going to change, coming back in wolf form and sitting down on the blanket next to Jisung, nuzzling him before laying down. Jisung ran his fingers through his fur, humming to himself.

"If someone told me I'd become a werewolf's mate back then I'd say they were crazy and punch them in the face," said Jisung as he chuckled some. Kihyun snorts, shaking his head. "I bet you were thinking the same thing," said Jisung, earning a bump from Kihyun.

"I am happy though," said Jisung as he laid down, using an arm as a pillow and keeping his other hand running through Kihyun's fur. "Even if we may be gone for the next few years," he said. "I want to come back successful," he said. "For your pack and for my team," he said, earning another bump from Kihyun. They both enjoyed the silence of the night, Jisung humming to himself as he curled up around Kihyun, burying his face into Kihyun's fur before falling asleep.

The next morning they headed back to their respective houses, Kihyun grabbing his clothes along the way. "It was nice to spend one last night out there," said Jisung as he stretched while they walked. "I think one more barbecue would work before we go what do you think?" He asked. He earned another bump from Kihyun, causing Jisung to laugh. "Alright, one more barbecue it is," he said.

He opened the back door for Kihyun and waited until Kihyun came back in human form and dressed. "Yeah, one more barbecue," said Kihyun. "Thanks, for accepting," he said. Jisung nodded, grinning and hugging Kihyun before heading back to his house.