A Step Back

Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene has been thinking and considering her friends' suggestion about taking a few step back from all the things she's been doing for Seulgi. They also suggested her to ‘make Seulgi jealous' in which Irene thinks it was a little too immature. It's something high school kids would do to see if their crush is into them or not. Actually, everyone (not just high school kids, really) is doing it and Irene was torn between making the decision.

Perhaps, she already agreed on taking the few steps back.

It started that exact night in less than twenty-four hours after Joy and Wendy gave the suggestion. Irene texted Seulgi and asked if she already eaten dinner. Seulgi only replied to her after an hour and it only consist a short: “Yes, I've had dinner. Thank you for asking.” — it , really. It and it hurts because Irene wished Seulgi would at least ask her too if she has eaten dinner too or not. Because honestly, she hasn’t eaten and if Seulgi had asked, she also wished for her to maybe beg a little so Irene would eat for her sake. It was immature and childish, she knows. But she ran out of ways to get her attention and she knows now, Seulgi probably gives her just as much attention to her as she gives to everyone else. There is just no special treatment just because Irene is her girlfriend.

Is it wrong to demand a special attention? No, right? But will Seulgi be okay with that? Again, it depends on Seulgi's consent. Irene even got sick of her brain always being this way.

The next day, she woke up feeling like .

If it wasn’t for the quiz in one of her classes, Irene would have chosen to stay inside her dorm and maybe even think about anything that is not Kang Seulgi (she doubt it would work but she's willing to try).

She practically dragged herself to her class and Wendy, being the nicest friend ever exist, was already standing in front of Irene's door. She told her that she somehow knew that Irene won't be all that energetic for today, so she volunteered to accompany her walk to Irene's building. Irene thought she either can see the future or she always have lucky guesses. But whatever it is, Irene was glad for her—plus, Wendy always have banana milk saved just for her.

Wendy is used to Irene's skinship habit so having Wendy be calm when Irene reached for her hand as they walk, or link arms with her, or sometimes side-hugging her, is another addition to how Irene wishes Seulgi can get used to this very clingy side of her. It crossed her mind a little that maybe this side of her is the reason that made Wendy develop feelings for her. Because Irene has always been a very affectionate clingy person and like Joy said once, others may take it the wrong way.

At the back of her mind, Irene knows Wendy is the perfect someone who knew her so well—inside and out—and she wishes for Seulgi to be able to pull what Wendy has been doing for Irene.

But she slightly scoffed at that thought because even wishing for that seemed a little too much for Irene to ask. So, she keeps the thought locked away.

Irene only has three classes for the day. Both her friends have more classes and they apologized that they can't accompany Irene during lunch. Wendy personally visited her building and waited for Irene to finish her last class just to tell her this.

“You really didn’t have to.” Giving her friend an appreciative slash apologetic look.

“But I'm here anyway.” She chuckles and ask, “Will you be okay? I saw Seulgi coming out of her class earlier… I think she finishes early too, you might wanna check up on her?”

Irene bit her lower lip and fished her phone out, wishing Seulgi will notice that Irene didn’t send her a goodnight nor a good morning text at all. But there's nothing in there, nothing from Kang Seulgi. Does she really didn’t care that much?

She sighs, “I don't know, Seungwan-ah… Maybe I'll go to the library.” Irene put her phone back in her pocket and Wendy took one of her hands gently.

“Listen, forget about making Seulgi jealous thingy, okay? Just do as I say… Pull back a little. I know you want to make her fall for you but don’t forget that she agreed to date you. That means she can't make you feel this way just because she still doesn’t have feelings for you. You're beating yourself up like this, Rene…” The hold in Irene's hand tightened and Wendy looks like she was about to cry.

So, Irene went to hug her there.

“And I hate it when you do this.” Wendy muttered, holding back her sob.

Irene nodded, she understood that the gesture will push her to cry even more, and she pulled away, seeing Wendy's teary eyes yet it seems like she managed to not shed a single tear. “Don’t worry, okay?” She offers her a smile.

Wendy returned it with a chuckle. “You know if anything happens, like you getting hurt and all. I won't hesitate to knock some sense out of her.”

Irene turns into a fit of giggles. Wendy joined her and although it sounded like a joke, Irene knows that Wendy was being serious about that. Wendy pats her head affectionately before parting ways with her because she needs to attend her class while Irene makes her way to the library.

Fortunately, she bumps into the person she was meant to look for. Just a turn away from the library. “Joohyun,” Seulgi greeted with that usual charming smile. “I, um… I saw you earlier with your friend.”

Did she just…stuttered?

Irene mentally shakes her head at the small thought. “Yeah, that's Wendy.” She replied quietly. Mentioning Wendy's name made her remember about her suggestion to take a step back she thought about doing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter