A Competition?

Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi got home that day after she told Joohyun about her parents and most likely the future of their relationship too if the two of them decides to take this on a more serious path. It went well, Seulgi thought. Well, Joohyun was surprised but Seulgi figured she would react that way.

So, Seulgi gave her mother a call, saying that she’s not going to leave Joohyun. She asked for her mother to not interfere with her relationship with Joohyun because they’re still in the early stages and that even though Seulgi has not yet fallen in love with Joohyun, she still wants this relationship to work with her. Seulgi knew her mother well, if she can do a background check on Joohyun without Seulgi’s knowledge or consent, for sure her mother can go see and talk to Joohyun herself. But her mother also knows her daughter well, she can see how Seulgi is liking Joohyun and wants to take things in her own pace—though she also let her know that her father would prefer his own pace than Seulgi’s. So, they settled on that agreement.

By the end of it, Seulgi told her mother that she will introduce Joohyun to her parents in a more proper and formal occasion. She even told her, “You will not be disappointed in her.”

Her mother said she’ll look forward to it and she’ll see to it herself if Joohyun is as good as Seulgi made her out to be. All in all, unlike what Seulgi originally thought, it went well. But there is also another thing that needs to be taken care of regarding their relationship.

It is in a form of another human being.

A pretty, rich, and most likely famous too who goes by the name, Kim Jennie.

Seulgi have encouraged the idea of meeting with Jennie again along with Joohyun as well. She agreed to give her long lost best friend in High School one more chance to get to know her better. Maybe she’s not as bad as Seulgi originally thought. She admitted she really had no control of herself the first time she sees her around Joohyun. Seulgi can’t help but be jealous of how much her girlfriend smiles and enjoying Jennie’s company.

And Jennie was just…too close to her girlfriend.

Even after she knew that Seulgi is the girlfriend, Jennie still managed to flirt with Joohyun in front of her. It seemed to Seulgi that Jennie was doing it on purpose to get on Seulgi’s nerves and that time she really lost her cool and sort of snapped at Jennie.

But Joohyun said Jennie is a good person with no ill intention.

Seulgi just has to give that girl a chance—like she did to Joohyun when she confessed months before.

So, here she is waiting for Joohyun in front of her class.

Seulgi purposely cancelled her plan to go to the library today, she figured she can catch up the next day. Of course, Seulgi can’t be seeing Jennie again without preparation. Seulgi have asked her one true source of relationship advice, Moon Byulyi, about how she should do and act. She needed to take precautions in case she lost her cool again in front of Jennie and end up making Joohyun disappointed. Her unnie refused to help if Seulgi didn’t tell her the story, so she spent around fifteen to thirty minutes talking about what happened.

Who this Jennie is to Joohyun? What is she doing at the campus? How are they so close? Why is she acting as if she doesn’t like Seulgi as much as Seulgi does to her?

“Why didn’t you punch her in the face?”

“Byulyi!” That was Yongsun, Byulyi’s girlfriend.

“Sorry,” Byulyi muttered, secretly rolling her eyes. “I mean, she sounded like trouble.”

That got Seulgi to frown.

Yerim told a similar thing to Seulgi too. It was quite nonchalantly. She was about to go out and meet up with some friends when Seulgi told her she’ll meet up with Joohyun and Jennie again the next day. Seulgi offered her to tag along, if she wants. But Yerim’s eyebrows creased as if she’s saying, ‘Why would you want to hang out with that girl?’ and ‘Why would I want to hang out with her?’

She didn’t really say those questions though, but she did say, “Are you sure? You almost had a fist fight right there and then and now you wanna hangout? Are you really sure?”

Seulgi casually hummed, “Yeah, why not? She’s Joohyun’s best friend. I should try to get to know her better.”

“I don’t know… For some reason, I feel like she’s up to no good.”

“It’s not good to judge someone if you only ever met them once, you know.”

Yerim proceeded to remind Seulgi that she has always mostly right about sensing a person’s intention—especially when they’re up to no good. Seulgi insisted her to not do that so much, moreover, this is Joohyun’s best friend they’re talking about. She wouldn’t like it if she knows that even Seulgi’s cousin is doubting Jennie’s actual intention in seeing Joohyun again after so long. Even though she asked for Yerim to not think too badly of Jennie… Seulgi herself couldn’t ignore that she, too, feels a little uneasy.

And now her unnie also thinks the same as Yerim.

“But I get your intention, Seul.” She gave Seulgi a smile that only made her look even more identical to a hamster. “I can’t really help with your jealousy, but maybe you can indirectly tell her that you don’t want her to be so close to Joohyun—”

“That doesn’t sound right.” The girlfriend once again interrupted.

“I mean, Yong, it’s normal for Seulgi to be jealous over Joohyun’s best friend.”

“It is normal to be jealous, but I don’t think it’s right telling her best friend to not get close with Joohyun. They’re best friends. That’s what best friends do, especially when the two persons are already comfortable with each other.” Yongsun turned to Seulgi and their eyes met. “You don’t limit who she can be friends with, Seulgi-yah. You’ll end up being a possessive girlfriend with that attitude and I don’t think Joohyun would like that very much.”

Seulgi heard a sigh from Byulyi. “Guess she’s right…”

“Even if Jennie really turn out to have some ulterior motive towards your relationship, I doubt it will affect what Irene is feeling for you. Just make sure you don’t forget to think before you act.” Yongsun said, remembering how Seulgi earlier told them that she lost her cool and kind of snapped at Jennie at their first meeting.

Seulgi took that important note from the older woman.

But just as she was about to leave their place, Byulyi stopped her and told her, “You know, while Yong’s advice is the best for you… I kinda think you should have a little something up your sleeve.”

“What do you mean?”

Byulyi shrugged a little and took a step forward. “It’s okay if you wanna show her who Joohyun belongs to. But only if you’re sure that she really intended to take your girl away.”

So, with that in mind, Seulgi left.

Surely, what Byulyi meant was for Seulgi to show public display of affection in front of Jennie. It was an indirect way of telling her that Joohyun is taken by Seulgi and she doesn’t want anyone else taking her away from her. She doesn’t even like the idea of Joohyun sharing her affections for Jennie—even though she’s keeping her affections for Seulgi more. Seulgi somehow doesn’t like the thought of Joohyun being so close with Jennie, but they’re best friends in High School and they haven’t seen each other for years and Joohyun is originally a very touchy and affectionate person, especially to those she’s comfortable with.

And Seulgi can see how comfortable Joohyun is with Jennie.

Seulgi takes a deep breath.

She can’t keep thinking like this.

This is not good.

She glances down at her wristwatch to see the time.

Ten minutes before Joohyun’s class ends.

“Didn’t think you’d be here so early.” Seulgi heard someone say and she can tell it was Jennie. “Not going to class?”

She turns to her, smiling a little. “It ended early today, so I went here to wait for Joohyun.”

Jennie hums, “Is that so…”

This is a bit awkward. Seulgi thought.

So, with a small sigh she tries to bring up what happened yesterday. She figured she’ll just apologize first. After all, she did act pretty hostile towards her when it’s only the first time they met.

“Jennie-ssi, I apologize for yesterday. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I acted on impulse, and it was very rude of me to rise my voice at you. I was hoping we can start again, with a proper introduction.”

Jennie’s eyes narrow at Seulgi, she almost seems skeptical. Seulgi didn’t exactly wait for her answer so she extends one of her hands at Jennie, still with her charming bear-like smile.

“My name is Kang Seulgi, a junior student from Visual Arts department.”

And after a short pause, Jennie says, “Yeah, um… Kim Jennie, I don’t go to college so…” She takes Seulgi’s hand out of politeness, though she still feels a little weird with the way Seulgi is acting. “Also, about yesterday, it’s okay. It was my fault too… Honestly, it surprised me that she manages to date someone of the same gender. Moreover, she’s dating someone like you.”

‘Someone like you’ – somehow Seulgi doesn’t like the sound of that.

She wanted to ask what’s the meaning of that but she’s holding it in. “Well, sometimes I’m wondering about that too. She is indeed very beautiful and yet she’s dating me—”

“No, I’m not talking about looks or physical appearance here. What I’m saying is that you are someone who attracts many attentions from everyone. It’s surprising because as far as I remember, Hyun never liked attentions.”

Now that is…a new information.

Turns out Joohyun doesn’t like attention—but it was back then, it has been years since the last time Jennie can remember and during that period of time, Joohyun can change and just get used to attentions, right? Besides, Seulgi never really see Joohyun get too disturbed by the attention ever since she’s dating Seulgi…

Or did Seulgi miss it when it happened?

“Anyway, Seulgi, right?” Jennie suddenly asked, throwing their earlier topic aside.

The girl settled next to Seulgi, leaning her back against the wall like Seulgi does.

Seulgi hums a positive respond.

“So, what do you do?” Seulgi looks at her, slightly frowning. “I mean, you’re majoring Visual Arts, what dept are you taking?”

“Fine Arts.” She answered shortly, she closes her book after marking the last page she hasn’t finished reading. She then gives Jennie her attention. “How about you, you said you didn’t go to college. Perhaps, you’re working somewhere?” She asked.

Seulgi was used to this. This is just basic manner where whenever you talk to someone, make sure you weren’t in the middle of doing something else—it would make you look dismissive and unrespectful of the other person. Basically, it’s just not really nice. To make a good impression, you need to give the other person your full attention, make sure to do eye contact and respect their opinions, listen to them when they start telling stories. Usually, it would’ve been so easy for Seulgi to do these things.

But this is Kim Jennie she’s talking to.

For some reason it is just harder to do it.

And then Jennie really had to say, “Joohyun hasn’t told you anything about me, has she?”

“Unfortunately, no.”

Yeah, well, why would Joohyun be bringing anything about her high school best friend to Seulgi? Seulgi doesn’t find it amusing though, Jennie talks as if she holds such importance in Joohyun’s life and she’s so proud of it. But it’s okay, Seulgi can easily brush it away. Maybe this is just how Jennie is. Maybe the fact that she’s friends with Joohyun is something she can be proud of and even show off to Seulgi and that is okay.

It’s okay, she thinks.

Seulgi have come to terms that she wasn’t in any place to judge Jennie’s character as she please. If Jennie wants it to be like that, then so be it.

“Well, I’m working as a Model right now. I didn’t take any college degree because I was offered this job back when I was in the middle of my last semester, it was a great deal so I took it and then moved to another country to pursue this profession as a serious career.”

Oh, a model…

Seulgi looks at her face a bit closer now, her face does look kind of familiar but Seulgi couldn’t tell where had she seen her before. And now that she’s paying a closer attention to Jennie… She is indeed a beautiful girl. She has the posture, the face, the fashion that will scream model to every person she meets. Yet Seulgi couldn’t come up with that conclusion the first time. Still though, Seulgi was sure she had seen Jennie’s face.

“Are you a brand ambassador for some brand?”

“Lucky guess!” Jennie smiles, almost smugly. “I am, actually. But not for some brand. It’s Chanel.”

Ah, so she really is a brand ambassador of a very famous brand. Seulgi assumed she’s back to Korea for another modelling job, so she throws another lucky guess—unless this time, she’s not so lucky.

“So, you came back because of work?”

“Nope, not at all.” Jennie answers almost immediately. “Came back here for Joohyun.”

And as if everything was on cue, the moment Jennie said that, the door to Joohyun’s class was open and students pouring out of the room, until Seulgi caught the sight of Joohyun. Now, what will happen next is all because what Jennie told Seulgi seconds ago. What is happening, you ask?

Basically, Seulgi get through a few students and once Joohyun notice her, Seulgi was already in front of her, bending down slightly to match Joohyun’s height and kiss her there on the lips.

This is definitely taking everyone by surprise—including Joohyun herself!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter