Falling In Love Again

Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh my god…” Joohyun’s seatmate looks at her way as if she just solved the biggest puzzle ever. Joohyun may or may not know the reason why she’s doing this. But for now, she holds herself from jumping into conclusion because her mind has been occupied with something else.

Someone else.

“You’re the girlfriend.”

Well, what’s new there? She knows her seatmate must be talking about Joohyun and Seulgi being a couple all this time. The rumors have been around for a while now ever since Seulgi told one of her fangirls that she’s taken. Sooner or later people will be able to tell that it is no longer a rumor—adding another stunt Seulgi pulled just minutes before Joohyun starts her first class, only proves the rumors to be true.

Joohyun spares a shy smile at her seatmate, slightly hoping she won’t get too much questions from her. Things like ‘since when?’ ‘how did it happen?’ ‘who confessed?’ ‘how does it feel dating her?’ – Joohyun doubt she would want others to know the answer to the last question. Because it’s not all rainbows and happiness. And Joohyun was so close to wanting to call everything off with Seulgi these days.

But out of all questions related to her relationship with Seulgi, her seatmate decides to ask about her name instead. “So, your name is Joohyun?” That got her attention as she looks at her with a frown.

Joohyun was known as ‘Irene Bae’ ever since her first year and she’s mostly known with that name instead of her real Korean name. Don’t get her wrong, she loves her name. It’s just Joohyun have gotten used with the name ‘Irene’ being said by anyone that isn’t her family. Everyone knows her as ‘Irene Bae’ which resulting in almost no one knows her Korean name but two of her friends and Seulgi.

So, hearing her seatmate—a girl goes by the name ‘Yongsun’ and was born from the same year as her and only ever meet Joohyun during this one class they shared together—asking about her Korean name was a bit of a surprise. As far as she remembers, she never told her about her real name. They’re not that close with each other for Joohyun to share about it.

“How’d you know?”

Yongsun shrugs, “Seulgi. Well, actually, my girlfriend told me. But yeah, she knows from Seulgi too. Oh, about Seulgi and I… We’re friends. And I’m actually surprised that the girlfriend she keeps talking about was you all along. She never mentioned the name ‘Irene’, so I was thinking of a completely different person. I mean,” She shakes her head disbelievingly, yet she’s smiling. “Wow… You’re her four-months girlfriend…” Joohyun tries to ignore how Yongsun’s voice getting lower and her smile fading out a little as she feels sorry for Joohyun.

But Joohyun was too focused on the part where Yongsun said ‘the girlfriend she keeps talking about’ – does that mean Seulgi has been talking about Joohyun with her friends? She even knows that they’ve been dating for four months long. Does that mean Yongsun and her girlfriend are actually Seulgi’s close friends? Why else would she tell them about their relationship, right? And, god… Joohyun can’t stop herself from lifting up her hopes because knowing Seulgi talked about Joohyun to her friends means she did think about Joohyun or their relationship. It makes her feel somehow special. It makes her feel giddy.

She talked about me.

Joohyun really wants to know just what are the things Seulgi talked about with her friends. How was she when she mentioned Joohyun’s name. How did she describe Joohyun to them? Did she smile at all? Joohyun wanted to know.

But how was she going to ask her?

She was too busy thinking of a way to ask her seatmate when she felt a nudge on her arm. Yongsun’s eyes were fixed ahead towards the lecturer when she asks, “I take it that you’re going to have a date with her today.” Leaving a small smirk without glancing at Joohyun.

Yongsun wasn’t even looking at her, yet those words are enough to send more heat across her cheeks. “Yeah, I was so shocked when she asked me. I thought she was going to propose to me the moment she kneeled down.” Joohyun lets out a small chuckle. Her eyes also focused on the lecturer and the board, writing down notes every now and then.

“God, I’m so sorry. I told her not to do that.” She sighs and turned to take Yongsun’s hand. She gives Joohyun an apologetic look. “Sorry if that freaked you out a bit.”

“It’s okay though. It was a little too much but I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Yongsun takes off her hand. She shakes her head at Joohyun.

“You’re in deep, girl.”

Joohyun turn her attention back to the lesson and smiles.

“You have no idea.” She whispered.

The rest of the class went on with Yongsun asking Joohyun small questions related to Seulgi and her. Joohyun seen it coming when the third question came, which was about how was Seulgi treating her this far and she answered, “She’s sweet. Very kind and gentle. She’s been good.” – Yongsun took her answer as it is, she knows there is no way Joohyun would reveal the times Seulgi unintentionally treated her wrong. After a short moment, Joohyun finally find the courage to ask Yongsun about the things Seulgi talked about Joohyun with her friends. Yongsun didn’t answer immediately. There was a pause, Joohyun noticed and waited. She wasn’t prepared to find out about the fact that Seulgi hasn’t been telling her friends anything about their relationship until a few days ago.

It stings a little, but then Yongsun tells her, “She’s a real genius but when it comes to these things… She’s almost as bad as a lost case.” – of course, Joohyun was very aware of that because Seulgi told her herself. “She’s just very inexperience. We wished she would inform this sooner, but knowing her… I think she was enjoying it and forgot to tell us. Until a few days later where she came and talked to my girlfriend about you the first time.”

“Mm,” She nods her head, eyes staring ahead. “When was that?”

“I’m not sure, but Byulyi told me a week ago.”

“Byulyi?”

“Oh, Moon Byulyi. My girlfriend.” Joohyun nods at the newfound information.

The two focuses on the lesson again for a few minutes until Yongsun yet again nudge on her arm, almost nearly scratching her notes she’s writing. Joohyun held back a curse and Yongsun says a soft sorry.

“I just want to tell you that you should totally look forward to today’s date with her.”

When Joohyun turns, Yongsun was already looking at her with a soft smile that she can’t help but return it almost immediately. Truthfully speaking, Joohyun always look forward to spending time with Seulgi. Be it an official date, accompanying her in the library, eat out dinner together or just seeing the bear-like girl. She always looks forward to it. But today was definitely something else.

“After everything she did this morning, I find it hard to not do that.” Joohyun admitted, yet again feeling giddy thinking about Seulgi.

It’s almost scary how easy her mind and heart change because of Kang Seulgi. One day Joohyun was tired and felt like she had enough. She wanted to end everything even though she knew it was hard. But the next morning she opened her door just to find that certain person who was the cause of her frustration, standing by her door with a blinding sweet smile. She brought flowers and a bag of chocolates in the other hand, just for her. God, she almost mistakes today to be Valentine’s day—but Valentine’s was far over in February. She asked to take Joohyun to her first class. Seulgi had ask her for a date while kneeling on one knee, right in front of her class and in the face of many audiences. Just what happened?! It was a little too hard to believe that this captain oblivious who has the crown of being the densest person ever exist, to change only in a matter of twenty-four hours.

“Yongsun, can you pinch me?”

The other girl narrows her eyes, “Why? You think you’re still dreaming?”

“Just do it.”

And she did as Joohyun asked her too. She pinched her arm, hard—too hard—that she yelped loudly, successfully gaining the lecturer’s attention and make him question if there is something Joohyun would like to share to the rest of the class. Joohyun lied by saying she accidentally bit her tongue, which the lecturer retort back by telling her that such ‘accident’ won’t happen if she would just pay more attention than keep engaging in a conversation with her seatmate.

Joohyun duck her head and mutters her apology.

As if the attention Seulgi gave earlier wasn’t enough, I had to embarrass myself in class. She sighs in a bit of frustration, feeling a nudge from Yongsun who mouthed another apology.

She passed a note towards Joohyun saying, “I have an hour to kill before the next class. Want to continue later? Seulgi made me curious about you, tbh.”

Joohyun was about to write an ‘Okay’ when Yongsun passed another note.

“Besides, you’re dating my baby bear. Getting to know you is kind of a must.”

‘Baby bear’…? That’s cute.

“Okay” – was the only thing Joohyun wrote back for her seatmate.

So, they decided to sit somewhere in the campus café.

They don’t quite have that many time to spend with each other but it was enough for Joohyun to learn a few things about Seulgi and her friends. And tiny bit things Seulgi told them about Joohyun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter