Date

Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi took Joohyun to her part-time job.

While being on their way, Seulgi strikes up a conversation first and finally asked Joohyun about her part-time job. Joohyun is very impressed with this improvement. It looks so natural as if Seulgi has never had any problem to talk about things with Joohyun—unknown to Joohyun, Seulgi used to think Joohyun likes to tell various stories to Seulgi and ask Seulgi about stuff instead of the other way around and she enjoyed listening to Joohyun. This is exactly why they need to talk. From their small chat, Joohyun told Seulgi that she wasn’t working part-time at one place. She currently has three different part-time jobs and one of them was surprisingly a chicken restaurant. Seulgi couldn’t hide her concern knowing Joohyun and chicken aren’t in a really good terms. She asked Joohyun if it’s really okay for her to work there, and Joohyun can sense her girlfriend’s concern with that very visible blush across her cheeks. She was more than pleased, actually.

Joohyun scoffs, “Just because I can’t eat chicken, doesn’t mean I can’t work part-time at a chicken restaurant.”

“But I’m worried if your indigestion acting up again…” Joohyun tries to suppress her giggle at the sight of a small pout on Seulgi’s lips. She tries harder to hold herself from kissing the pout away. Instead, she leaned forward a little and give Seulgi a peck on her cheek. The reaction she got is almost the same like always, Seulgi instantly froze and stop functioning altogether. Maybe kissing her so suddenly like that isn’t a very good idea?

Joohyun had to wave her hand in front of Seulgi while calling her out. “Seulgi, you okay?”

At the sound of her name being called, Seulgi woke up from her frozen state and looks at Joohyun nervously. Thank goodness they’re already outside of the café where Joohyun works at. God knows what happen if Seulgi decided to malfunction while driving. “Sorry, I’m okay… I was—I didn’t expect you to… Um, what’s the kiss for?” Seulgi dared to ask.

“Well, first, you look so cute worrying about me. Second, I haven’t given you a kiss today. And since we’re going on a date after I’m done with work, I think this is the perfect time to do it. Plus, we’re in a car so no one would notice us.” Joohyun finished her explanation, mentally giving herself a pat on her back for not stuttering and not spilling the fact that she kissed Seulgi’s cheek to prevent herself from kissing her on the lips. She wasted no more time to unbuckle her seatbelt as she asks Seulgi if there is somewhere Seulgi need to be while Joohyun do her part-time shift.

Her movement stops when Seulgi tell her, “I’ll be waiting for you until you’re done.” Joohyun was too late to respond when she heard a click from Seulgi’s seatbelt and she’s left watching Seulgi climbing off the car and rushed to her side, opening the passenger door for Joohyun while offering an arm.

God, what is Seulgi trying to do here? Why is she suddenly acting like a prince charming? It doesn’t help at all with the way Seulgi smiles so charmingly cute at her and she let herself step outside while holding on to Seulgi’s arm. Whoever told Seulgi to do all these things, Joohyun has to thank them properly. It must be Yongsun’s girlfriend—what’s her name? Yul? No, it’s Byul. Yeah, I need to thank this Byul.

They both entered the café, the small bell rang the moment the opened the door and Joohyun suddenly aware of what’s happening. She stopped Seulgi, making the latter turn to her questioningly. “You said you’ll wait for me.” It didn’t quite come out as a question, Joohyun admit.

The slightly taller girl nods, “Yes, I can sit somewhere in here while you work.”

“Are—are you sure?” Joohyun’s frown deepened. Clearly, she knows her shift today will not end until nine p.m and letting Seulgi wait for her for that long makes her feel kind of guilty. She swears if she can skip today’s part-time, she would but she can’t. “Won’t you be bored just sitting here and wait?”

Seulgi only smiles, “No worries. I brought some book with me to read and kill time. Just focus on your work, I’ll be sitting…” Seulgi scans the place really quick before locking her eyes at the spot nearby the clear window, staring at the busy street outside. “There, by the window. Okay?” Seulgi pats Joohyun’s head affectionately again before going to the seat she told Joohyun earlier.

The bunny-like girl sigh softly, looking at the way Seulgi sits down and smiles at her, making Joohyun’s heart picking its pace.

She looks away and hurries to the back to get ready, switching her clothes with the employee’s uniform, complete with an apron and a hat. She checks herself in the mirror once again after applying light make-up—she had to look good in front of the customers. She secretly likes this café’s color theme because it’s her favorite color and wearing her favorite color never failed to boost her confidence. She nodded at herself before a friend of hers suddenly pop-out behind her with a loud ‘boo!’ – it instantly startled Joohyun and she hates when people does that.

But this is her coworker who is years younger than Joohyun and she’s always been an annoying prankster, but not as bad as Joy. “Stop doing that!” Joohyun slaps her arm, earning a yelp from the taller short-haired girl. The nametag shows her name, a capital: JEONGYEON.

The girl has short hair and definitely towering her short figure. Jeongyeon’s giggle slowly subsided, replaced by a scowl. “Yah unnie, you never told me that your girlfriend is that cute and her name is Kang Seulgi.”

“I never told you I have a girlfriend.” Joohyun looks at her with wide eyes, “But how’d you know her name?”

“This is why I told you, you should indulge yourself in social media and such.” Jeongyeon rolls her eyes. Thank goodness this is Jeongyeon, if it were Joy, the devil’s child will instead call her an outdated grandma instead. “For the past few months, her name and photos has been around the internet. You know, future CEO and about to replace her dad who is still hospitalized. It wasn’t much but her name’s been mentioned quite often. These days, however, there’s a rumor about Seulgi and this one girl seen quite close with each other…”

Jeongyeon starts eyeing her with narrow eyes. “It’s you, right? I mean, you can totally deny it but seeing you two coming in the café arm-in-arm, it kinda gives it away that you two are dating.”

Honestly, Joohyun doesn’t know and isn’t quite sure if it was really her that those people caught hanging out with Seulgi. Of course, Joohyun knows about Seulgi having people following her around and secretly taking her pictures but this far, those people aren’t very obvious.

Joohyun shrugs, “Maybe. I’m not sure.”

“She looks cute, like really cute.”

“I’m very aware of that, but thank you for the reminder.”

“Does she like books? She was reading a book before I came here.”

“Yeah, I think.”

“You sound quite unsure.”

“I mean, yes. She reads a lot.”

“So, is she here for a bit?”

Joohyun closes her locker and locked it. “No, she’s staying until my shift is done.” She looks at herself again in the mirror, letting out a small smile. Jeongyeon stops asking but she’s still there as if waiting for Joohyun to tell her more. Seeing the small teasing smirk, Joohyun blushes a bit yet still trying to not smile. “Quit smirking like that. Yes, Seulgi and I have a date to go to after my part-time job.” That seems to finally satisfy the taller girl.

“And she’s willing to wait for hours?”

Joohyun shrugs again while Jeongyeon shakes her head slowly.

“You’re one lucky girl, Irene-unnie.”

Joohyun only smiles at that because unknown to her—and to everyone who doesn’t know—how much Joohyun went through for months with Seulgi. That the Kang Seulgi who sits nearby the window of the café right now, isn’t usually like this. It’s a good thing Jeongyeon didn’t get to ask Joohyun just how long she’s been dating Seulgi. Joohyun quickly excused herself with the reason that she needs to start working. The moment she stepped behind the counter, she’s immediately serving a customer and mentally remind herself to ask offer Seulgi a drink of her choice.

After three customers, Joohyun sees an opening and walked over to her girlfriend who is still has her eyes on the book. “Good evening, may I take your order?” Joohyun asked as if Seulgi is another customer at the café. It successfully startles Seulgi when she looks up at Joohyun with wide eyes before softening at the sight of her girlfriend.

“Joohyun…” She mutters, taking in Joohyun’s new appearance.

A pair of black skinny jeans, a polo shirt, along with the matching purple apron and hat. She looks exactly like a normal staff but at the same time, she doesn’t. Because she is Bae Joohyun—Irene Bae—her beauty never settles for ‘normal’. Seulgi took her time thinking and confirming herself about Joohyun’s beauty. “I was right. You do look good in anything.” That completely caught Joohyun off guard.

Joohyun doesn’t know how to react, honestly she could faint right there and then. “You really need to take this slow, you know.” She puts a hand over her ramming heart. It only makes it worse because it only took Seulgi to do so little to move Joohyun, but today Seulgi wants to do so much to shaken Joohyun’s entire existence. Once she calmed down a little, she looks at Seulgi who was already gazing up at her worriedly.

“I’m sorry, Joohyun. Does my compliment made you feel uncomfortable?”

It shouldn’t but it does because of how sudden everything is. But Joohyun doesn’t want her to stop either, maybe just tone it down a little. Any more of this stunt, Joohyun may have a serious heart attack soon. “It’s not that… I was—well, you caught me off guard. I suddenly don’t know what to say.”

It reliefs too when Seulgi smiles, “That has to be a good thing, right?”

Joohyun takes a long deep breath mentally. Her whole self is still trying to grasp this Seulgi who is more talkative and interactive with Joohyun. She wished Seulgi has some kind of warning if she’s going to suddenly be like this after four months dating.

“It is. Now, can I take your order?”

“Do you serve tea?”

“Yes. Iced tea, lemon tea, and green tea.” Joohyun listed while pretending that Seulgi’s gaze on her didn’t distract her that much. It’s so hard to ignore with how Seulgi smiles as she keeps looking at her. Do I have something weird on my face? What did I eat? Oh god, is something stuck on my teeth?! This is super embarrassing! Joohyun wants nothing more than to tear her face away from Seulgi’s eyes. “Um, which one would you like?”

“How about that tea you offered me this morning?”

Joohyun chuckles, “The café’s tea is still better than mine.”

“But I want yours.” Seulgi pursed her lips in a small pout.

Oh my god, is she pouting? So cute… Ugh, this is not good. I’m too weak for this…

She ended up following what Seulgi wanted and quickly leave her girlfriend alone again because unfortunately, Joohyun couldn’t stay long with Seulgi because she still need to go back to work. Thus, she told Seulgi to wait for the tea. She also told Seulgi to stop pouting but leaving the details that if she keeps doing that, Joohyun might kiss the pout away. And Joohyun doesn’t want that. She wants their first kiss to be something that they both want. Something mutual between them.

Joohyun leaves and makes Seulgi’s order.

Her initial plan was to take the tea to Seulgi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter