Fun Before The Storm

Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun—or famously known as Irene around campus—once again wakes up with a smile on her face.

She receives a text from her girlfriend, wishing a nice day and a sweet good morning too.

Lately she can’t help but feel happy seeing how Seulgi do all these little things for her. She’s aware that Seulgi was trying to be a better girlfriend but to say that Joohyun isn’t taken aback would be a lie.

It’s mostly because it’s been months Joohyun was dating Seulgi and she has never shown such sides to her—such amount of attention and she even says she misses her. Joohyun was used to the Seulgi who is a little ignorant so right now it looks like Joohyun is still trying to get familiar with the new Seulgi—perhaps the actual Seulgi.

Other than Seulgi, there is one more person that makes her happy.

Kim Jennie.

“Hey, babe, you ready?” Joohyun rolled her eyes at the playful endearment.

“Stop with the ‘babe’ thing, will you?”

“Oh c’mon, you know I’m just joking around.”

She sighs, she knows it was just a joke but she doesn’t want Jennie to get used to calling her with such name. Because one, Joohyun is dating someone. And two, that someone isn’t fond of Jennie. So, imagine if Seulgi know how Jennie is calling her ‘babe’ – Joohyun doesn’t want to imagine it. Even in the fictional stories she read and watched, she always hated when the couple starts to get misunderstandings here and there.

No, Joohyun isn’t down for any drama for now.

“You know, I won’t do it if Seulgi is around. I’m not that dumb, babe.”

Despite of how persistent Jennie is, Joohyun believes it when she said that she won’t do it when Seulgi is around—still, that doesn’t mean it was okay for her to keep using that nickname on Joohyun. She thought she’s just going to let her be for now but if at some point Jennie decide to step a little too far, then Joohyun will likely have to set her boundaries with her.

“So, is your girlfriend’s cousin not visiting you again in the morning?” Jennie was referring to Yerim who seem to always be around Joohyun.

And just in time when Joohyun wanted to say something back, the younger girl appears as if out of nowhere, behind Jennie. Joohyun jumped in her spot, putting a hand to her chest. “God, you surprised me!”

“Sorry for being a little late.” She apologized, but not for startling Joohyun. She then turns to Jennie, throwing her a smile. “Good morning.”

“Morning too.” The latter replied, eyes narrowing at the younger girl. There is this weird atmosphere lingering between Jennie and Yerim. It looks like Jennie’s effort to get everyone to side with her worked. Yerim seem to warm up to her a little, she’s no longer throwing glares at Jennie’s way and she even greeted her first.

She was about to say something but decide to keep it to herself in the end.

Joohyun wasn’t able to notice their exchange when she realized she needs to be on her way to class. After all, she did stay up pretty late last night just talking on the phone with Seulgi. She woke up a little late, which was one of the topics they talked about to last night. But if Joohyun had to be completely honest, she didn’t mind.

She would’ve done it all over again.

Gods, I look like a simp—

Maybe she is one.

Because even when she barely has much time to get to class, Joohyun still spare a little time to pick up a phone call from Seulgi. The timing was not perfect, she admits, but because of that, Joohyun also feel the need to answer it. Maybe it was urgent, who knows?

“Hey,” Was the first thing Joohyun says on the phone while trying to pick up her pace walking down the hallway, both Jennie and Yerim trying to keep up with her on her sides.

“Joohyun, are you heading to class right now?”

“Um, yeah.” Joohyun frowns a little. What’s with the question? It makes Joohyun thinks that Seulgi is somehow around the campus. “Is something up?”

“Can I steal a little of your time now?”

Her steps slow down to a stop.

“Joohyun?”

What was that supposed to mean? Like, steal a little of her time to talk on the phone? Or like, actually steal her time to meet up? And from the way Seulgi said it, it sounded as if she has something important to tell her and it was enough for Joohyun to somehow put aside her early class.

“Um, I’m here… I mean, yeah,” Joohyun looks back and forth between Jennie and Yerim. The two gives her a worried and questioning look. Definitely wondering who was that talking with Joohyun on the phone. She blinked twice at Yerim, expecting her to somehow know but the younger girl looked as clueless as she is. “What is it that you want to talk about?”

“I’m actually at the library.”

“Oh.”

Oh my god, she’s really here!

“If it’s not too much to ask, can you come meet me here?”

Well, if we look at the actual situation Joohyun is in right now, it was too much to ask for Seulgi to meet up now of all time. As a student who is depending on her full coverage scholarship, Joohyun is required to give excellent performance in all her classes. And one of them being not late to her class. But right now, Joohyun is actually calculating everything in her head.

She was about to risk actually coming late to class.

“Yes, sure. I’m on my way.” As soon as she voiced out her decision, she hung up the phone and once again looks at her two companions. “You guys can go ahead. Something came up and I need to meet someone at the library now.”

Jennie raises an eyebrow, “I thought you’re running late.”

“Jen, you know how I always come way earlier, right?”

“Yes, but that’s why—”

“It’s no different now, okay? When I said “running late”, I meant I didn’t want to come when so many other students already in the room.” Joohyun wasn’t lying about that though. “I still have around thirty minutes to spare. So, anyways, I gotta go now. See you guys later!”

With that said, Joohyun quickly make her way towards the direction of the campus’ library.

She was actually half-running on the way there because she can’t take up too much time or else, she would have less time with Seulgi—or she would have enough time with her but end up sacrificing being in the class on time. She makes a mental note in her head that Seulgi can’t compete with her performance at school. She can’t put Seulgi in a spot where she will risk her scholarship. Seulgi wouldn’t want that either.

The moment she arrives at the library, Joohyun expected Seulgi to be sitting on her favorite spot by the window, reading a book. But she couldn’t help the frown when she sees no one inside the library—at least no one that she identifies as Kang Seulgi.

She checks her phone again to send a text to Seulgi.

The reply was really quick and all written there was, “The far back.”

Joohyun couldn’t help a frown forming in her face because this is a first—or maybe second because the last time the two talk at the far-end of the bookshelves where literally no one go to, it was when Joohyun confess her feelings for Seulgi. She wondered if there’s something discreet Seulgi wanted to talk to her about.

She gives a quick scan to her surrounding before taking herself to ‘the spot’ where Seulgi is right now.

Once there, she catches a sight of her girlfriend standing in front of dusty bookshelves, an open book in her hand, her head tilts down as she reads what was written on the book. She wasn’t wearing her usual attire because clearly this one is not casual. Seulgi was sporting a pair of shoes looked so well-polished that an insect would slip on it, she also wears a pair of women slacks, a fitting black suit with a black turtle-neck underneath and her hair was tied-up—she noticed Seulgi let a small strain on the sides and still has her cute bangs.

Seulgi looked so damn nice that Joohyun was a little captivated by the sight despite the fact that this part of library has very minimal lightning but Seulgi was there…practically glowing.

How does she do that…?

And to think that she is very much dating this person…? Gosh, the more she thinks and stares at Seulgi starts to make Joohyun gets flustered, so she silently let out a sigh, her lips and clear to get Seulgi’s attention.

At the intrusion, Seulgi looks up and turn her head towards the source. “Seulgi, hi…” Joohyun greeted, suddenly feeling a little nervous and shy that Seulgi is looking at her.

Now that Seulgi is turning and giving her full attention to Joohyun, she really can’t hide the blush on her face.

It wasn’t Joohyun who walks up to her, instead it was Seulgi who did.

“Hey,” The taller said quietly. “I hope I didn’t make you skip class because of this.”

For some reason, Joohyun thought no one supposed to know that the two of them are seeing each other at the far-end of the all the many bookshelves in this library. So, she plays along when Seulgi tries to talk in quiet voice.

“No, no, I’m not skipping. That’s very unlikely, I would’ve told you beforehand that I can’t see you.” Though she did risk coming late to class but she’s not going to say that out loud now, is she?

Of course not. “Right, good then. You should prioritize that.”

“Yeah, I am… So,” Joohyun looks up, her eyes meeting Seulgi’s and now that they’re standing close to each other, she can see Seulgi is wearing more makeup than usual—usually she doesn’t do this much. But this looks really good on Seulgi, oh my god, Joohyun needs to focus on asking Seulgi her purpose of meeting her. “Anyways, you look nice.”

Joohyun wanted to slap herself so bad right now.

In her head, she was sure she was going to ask ‘is there something you want to tell me?’ – but hell, she ended up saying Seulgi look nice? Gods, that’s embarrassing.

Joohyun attempts to save herself by saying, “I mean, you always look nice but this… With the suit, the turtle-neck and you even used more make-up… You look really nice. You don’t even look like a college student.” Okay, her attempt was to go along with her slip-tongue. Great.

But seriously, Seulgi looked so much like a mature woman that it feels like Joohyun is the younger one between them. Not that Joohyun mind the role switch.

“Well, thank you. You as well…” Seulgi pauses for a bit, her eyes wander up and down and stays longer at Joohyun’s face, her smile never falters. “You look as lovely as always, Joohyun.”

And that sends Joohyun.

She smiles shyly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, eyes going anywhere but Seulgi’s own. God, what is this? Appearance wise, Joohyun looked nothing compared to everything Seulgi is right now. She’s only in her pair of blue skinny jeans, a fitting white shirt and that’s it.

“Okay, that’s clearly an exaggeration. Let’s stop now before I melt into a puddle of goo.” Joohyun lets out a big sigh, hoping to ease her blushes and flustered face. She tries to compose herself because any more of compliments thrown at each other will keep them away from talking about what was important.

And Joohyun knows there’s no way Seulgi just ask her to meet up so suddenly for no reason.

“You’re right,” Seulgi giggles a bit. “But I mean it, you do look lovely today.”

“Well, thank you then.” Joohyun bit her lower lip. “Now, aren’t you going to tell me what’s up? Because this is definitely a first.”

“You know, a lot of things are a first with you, Joohyun.”

The latter couldn’t help getting flustered yet again.

“And I must admit that I only thought about seeing you today, just this morning, when I was preparing myself for work. The, uh… the plan was to only meet you because I think I miss you more than I thought I was.”

Joohyun doesn’t know how to respond to that.

Joohyun doesn’t even know how to function at this point.

But thankfully, Seulgi wasn’t expecting a respond yet from her because she was still talking. “But now that we’re here, I guess it’s best to let you know about something too.” Seulgi finished, the look on her face was still gentle but she was being serious now.

“What is it…?”

“My father found out about us.”

“O, oh.” Joohyun doesn’t know how to react. It wasn’t long since the last time they talked about how her mother wants them to get engaged and now her father has found out too, this only means Joohyun will see them very soon.

But is her fathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter