Chapter Twenty-Eight

Adventures Between the Notes, Stars, and Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The One With A Walk Down Memory Lane, Wedding Blues, and the Damn Cat

One thing Wendy knew for certain was that she was responsible for the entire mess between her and Jongdae.

Another thing Wendy knew was that this was entire mess between her and Jongdae was going to be a major regret in her life.

And there was one thing she knew she wasn’t certain about, and it was if she was going to ever see Jongdae again. She figured that of course they would see each other; the lived next door to each other and would probably pass by on campus but she felt she had to prepare and accept that things would be awkward for both of them, and she figured it was best to start with avoiding places he was at regularly, Like Drip Drop, or their spot in the common’s room. If anything, she would probably have to reconsider going to another university to try to get him out of her life entirely because she knew she would feel guilty for even looking at him.

She was probably being dramatic, and maybe still riding on a shred of hope, but she would like to think that that kiss had desperation against their lips and hope in their breaths. She too was going to even forget everything that happened because it felt like he had forgiven her but then she saw that damn watch; and all those emotions came back. She figured, as he had said her name for the last time, that he was still going to leave her for his real and true soulmate.

She threw the pillow she had rather hard on the bed and let herself fall unto the covers; glaring at the clock that read it was three in the morning and she was not ready for the day. There was much to do and little for her to care about anymore; and though she kept reasoning with herself that she was being ridiculous, she couldn’t stop the massive amount of guilt resting on her chest.

Wendy hugged a pillow and tried her best to get some sleep, but as her thoughts ebbed and flowed from happy memories, to random thoughts, and back again; she couldn’t stop wondering what life would be like from now in a month; a year; a decade. To her, a decade seemed like sufficient time to get over a guy; but then she was dumb enough to remind herself that Jongdae wasn’t just any guy. She wondered what her life would be like in a decade, and whether or not she was still doing things she liked, or still wallowing in her grief.

The woman founded herself really able to sleep for only a few hours, and even then, as she looked out behind the blinds, it was still dark. She sat up and hugged the pillow, feeling the tears come back as she suddenly remembered that day in high school.

“You know he’s a major jerk,” Yoona, Wendy’s senior, tried to help. “Guys at this age are rather superficial, so he probably didn’t mean it.”

“Yeah,” Wendy sighed as she leaned her head on the senior’s shoulder, pouting. “I wish I was as skinny as you.”

“Oh shut up,” Yoona rolled her eyes, “He’s not even worth your time if you’re going to be like this… want to get some coffee? Try to forget him about him as you drink the amazing liquid.”

Wendy shook her head and was about to say something but in the distance, as they were looking out on the field, there was a familiar figure walking towards them with an angry expression behind his glasses. Wendy immediately knew what was wrong, but she didn’t want to hear from her best friend. If she knew Jongdae, he would obviously call her crush many names before hunting the man down himself.

She tried to hide herself into Yoona’s neck, but it was much to vain as she saw his familiar converse and sighed. “Did you really confess Taemin? Did he really say no because of your weight?”

Wendy’s refusal to answer was enough of a confirmation for Jongdae. “That bastard… what does it matter if you’re a little heavier than the girls here now? You’re obviously beautiful and still going to be as we get older. Where the is he? I’m going to give him a piece of my mind.”

Wendy reached out and grabbed his wrist, looking up at him, “Don’t be stupid, Dae. What if you go a bit far?”

“If I go too far?”

“What if you get hurt?” Yoona asked, “You know that an edged-on Taemin is a beat up you.”

“I don’t care,” Jongdae huffed as he shook his grip out of he’s best friend’s hold, readying himself to hunt the teenage douchebag down. “Dee is worth getting a punch in the face if it means I can tell off the guy for being a ing douche.”

It was after the school day that Wendy finally saw Jongdae, who was sporting a bruised cheek and a scowl when he met her in the hallway, minutes after the school had cleared out. She gasped and pulled him into the nearby classroom, shaking her head and calling him an idiot. “I can’t believe he punched you.”

“Yeah, but I got in some good words… and maybe I punched him in the stomach when he said more words to anger me,” Jongdae grinned, wincing when the girl touched his cheek before pulling away to look for her tiny first aid kit. “But a teacher caught us, so I’ll be in detention all next week after school.”

“Jongdae,” she sighed, the tone in her voice showing she was not happy with this choice. “Please, don’t beat up every guy who breaks my heart.”

He frowned and watched as she pulled out some ointment and a small plaster. “I make no promises. I’m you best friend, I will fight anyone for you.”

“You’re a dumb best friend,” she grumbled as she made him sit on the desk and take his glasses off to lightly apply to ointment on the bruise, wanting to reprimand him but was rather fond over his gestures. Ever since they first met five years ago, he was always acting as her knight in shining armor; her defender, and her biggest fan. She didn’t know why he would do such a thing; she was confused because of his brand-new soul cheat watch and he had no interest in it. “What are you going to say to your parents when they see this? They’re starting to think I’m a bad example, even though I’m always trying to make you stop.”

He shrugged, closing his eyes. “Don’t worry about them. They’re my problem.”

She rolled her eyes and wiped her hand on his sweater vest before pulling the plaster apart. “You’re going to get into so much trouble for just a girl.”

He didn’t say anything as she placed the plaster over his cheek and smoothed it out, making sure it was alright before she crumpled its package and took a step back. When she looked up at Jongdae, he was staring at her face. Her brows furrowed, and she edged back a bit. “What?”

Then he leaned in and stole her first kiss. She remembered the room was pink and orange, a cloudless day. He must’ve eaten some candy beforehand because she remembered he tasted sweet. When he pulled back, he was staring in her eyes, a confident smug smile on his face. “I’d get into any trouble for you, Wendy, because we’re soulmates.”

Wendy smiled at the memory; his declaration wasn’t anything new. She had wondered if he had developed a crush on her prior to that moment, or if he did it in the spur of emotions. Like, she wondered if he thought it would be best to have her believe too it was him that she could fall in love at that age. Wendy wondered too, if she didn’t already know who her soulmate was, if she would have already fallen in love with Jongdae.

She recalled how she kissed didn’t kiss him back on his sixteenth birthday, even though she did remember thinking she should.

It was in the evening, after both dinner and cake at his house before they escaped to his room. She remembered handing him a stuff toy with a gift card; she remembered the gift card because she recalled doing so many extra chores and even tutoring in order to load the gift card with enough money that he could buy whatever the thing he wanted was. His face then, looked very much the same as the year prior, just before he kissed her the first time; but when he kissed her this year, it was different. It wasn’t an innocent and mischievous peck on the lips that lasted a few seconds. Instead, she remembered he was a bit more passionate about it. She remembered he hugged her, like he always did, and when he pulled away, he caressed her cheek and thanked her. Aren’t you glad I claimed you as my best friend years ago? He asked, and she remember rolling her eyes with a smile before he leaned in, kissing her longer and she thinks with a head tilt. She remembers closing her eyes and relaxed a bit, but when he pulled away, he was smiling at her before stealing a peck and hugging her again.

When they graduated high school… that’s when she started to kiss him back. She didn’t know why, sometimes she was at odds with herself, believing she was cheating on her soulmate that just had been recently put into a coma, but then she couldn’t help but find herself calm, relaxed, and willing when it came to Jongdae. It was the night of their graduation, after all the celebration and well into the night when Jongdae snuck into her room.

Wendy was expecting him as usual, and offered him the spot next to her under her covers, staring up at the bit of stars she could see. She remembered he was warm, and she realized how much taller he was now compared to her. She didn’t notice it when they were standing, but sitting down, and instead of staring at whatever constellation that was there, she found herself really examining how attractive her best friend was becoming. She didn’t even realize he had turned to look down at her until he held her hand and squeezed.

“Well, things are going to change today. We’re now adults,” Jongdae sighed, rubbing his thumb against her palm. “You’re not going to leave me, right? We’re gonna grow old together?”

Wendy smiled and nodded, “You’ve been stuck to me since we were ten. I don’t think I’m able to leave you even if I tried.”

“Even if things change?”

She had no idea what he meant, but she didn’t question it when she nodded, only for him to lean down and kiss her. It wasn’t like the other two times, this one had some sort of weight and promise to it that she felt inclined to give back, and she remembered clutching unto his shirt to keep balance as she leaned into him.

Wendy wondered if she was falling in love with Jongdae that day, and was the dumb one for not noticing it until Jongdae asked her to marry him.

Soon, her thoughts traveled to when they first met. Of course, she didn’t think they would turn out like this now all that way back. She actually remembered disliking him the first time they met.

Wendy eyed the moving truck that was next door, curious and perplexed. When did the previous family leave? She was watching from living room, propped on the couch and looking behind her as she watched boxes being moved and large items being carefully extracted. She was about ten, and nothing looked remotely interesting so far, and she was rather bored. If it wasn’t for the bright colored-beat up car that parked itself in front of her house, she would have never saw the cat-faced boy jump out of the car and stare at his new house with obvious hatred.

When his mother tried to guide him, but instead he pulled her away and sat on the grass in the front yard, pouting.

“Jongdae, c’mon. We have to—”

“No! That isn’t my house!”

“But your toys are in there,” his mother bribed.

“I’m a big kid now! I don’t need toys!” he yelled in anger. “That’s not my house and that’s not my toys!”

“Wendy?” she remembered her mother calling, coming to approach her, “What ch’ya doing?”

“The new boy next door is having a break down,” Wendy pointed. “He’s on our grass.”

“Oh geeze,” her mother sighed, “Moving isn’t fun, not even for kids. He might be mad because he’s in a new place, and some kids are scared by it.”

Wendy looked at her mother, who looked down at her and smiled, “He could also be sad that his friends aren’t here. Wanna go out there and try to be his friend?”

“I don’t know…” the girl said with hesitance, “He’s hitting our grass and yelling at his mom. I don’t think he’s friendly.”

“What did I just say?” her mother sighed, before grabbing a sweater. “Come on, we’ll go say hi. Maybe you’ll help brighten his day.” And then the girl followed, pulling on her own jacket. She followed her mother outside, who was immediately apologized by the boy’s mother, saying how difficult he was being, which soon shortly turned to be a different conversation between the mothers. Wendy stood near her mom, unsure if she should really approach the boy, who was now picking at the grass, not wanting to be looked at or look at anyone.

“… And this is Wendy. Wendy, say hi to Mrs. Kim.”

The girl looked up at the woman and did as she was told, before Mrs. Kim looked at her son and sighed. “And he’s Jongdae. Sorry about his attitude, he’s having a hard time adjusting.”

“They usually do,” Wendy’s mother agreed before pushing Wendy a bit, making a face to go talk to him. Wendy pouted, wanting to whine, but after her mother raised a brow, like asking the girl to argue, Wendy backed down and walked over to the boy, who was still picking at the grass.

“Hey, you should stop that.”

The boy didn’t.

She pushed his hand with her foot. “Stop that.”

He started to pick at another spot.

“Hey, don’t be a dummy! Go pick grass at your house!” Wendy cried before kicking his hand again, only for him to glare up at her.

“That’s not my house and you’re not the boss of me!”

“Yeah? Well this ain’t your house either!” she argued, picking up the grass and throwing it at the boy.

His glare intensified, “Yes it is! I’m claiming this my house now and there’s nothin you can do about it!”

“Yes I can,” she spat as she took hold of his arm and tried to pull him up, “I’m going to take you to your new house, even if you don’t like it!”

“Stop!” he yelled and pulled against her. “I’m not going!”

“Yes you are!”

“No I’m not!”

It was a few more seconds of struggle before she gave up and looked to the mothers, who looked amused by their arguments. “Mom! He’s not coming to our house!”

“Yes I am!” he yelled, getting up. “I’m going to live with you and not them!”

“No you’re not!” she fought back, and made the decision to escape to the front door. If she could lock him out now, then he won’t be able to come in ever.

“Yes I am! And you’re going to like it!” he followed, trying to tug on her hair, only for to smack his hand away.

“No, I’m not!”

“You’re going to be my best frie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter