Chapter Twenty-Six

Adventures Between the Notes, Stars, and Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Joonmyeon entered the bedroom, Irene was staring happily at the photos in her hand, smiling wider for some. The man leaned against the door frame, watching the woman he was ready to swear his life to, branding her smiles into his mind. She was already dressed for bed, but it was still mid-afternoon. Irene had claimed she was tired in the car, but the man knew she was just mentally exhausted. After learning that the woman’s introverted personality, he was surprised she had lasted the day meeting strangers.

They had gotten home about an hour ago from a busy day of wedding preparations. At eight in the morning, an excited Joonmyeon and grumpy Irene met the cake decorator, and the woman perked up just a bit after eating some lovely cake. They had spent hours at the museum, being the models for their own wedding announcements and discussing which wing their ceremony would be held in (which Irene pretended to ignore the obvious fact that it would cost a lot of money and bribery to keep a wing closed to the public). In between, they made a point to hide in Joonmyeon’s office, which was short lived when his boss barged in just as Irene hinted at doing something on the desk.

“So, I called for pizza. Should be here in thirty minutes or less.”

Nodding, she continued to look at the photos. After about a minute, Irene looked up, confused why he was just staring at her, when she went back to the photos, “I think this one is my favorite.”

Taking that as his cue, he crawled over to the bed and pulled the girl into his arms, her back against his chest, and took a look at the photo. They were holding hands, her engagement ring on proud display, as their backs were to the camera, looking at a painting of a starry night. Joonmyeon hummed and nuzzled his nose into behind her ear, “Then we’ll let the photographer know we choose that one for our announcement invitations.”

She giggled and try to push him off her just a bit. “Great, and have we—Joon, stop!—um, decided on which uh… wing?”

She heard his playful sigh in her ear as he pulled back just a bit, kissing her head and then using her as his personal stuffed toy. “Why not have the ceremony in my wing? I know it overshadows the history part, but it was where we first spoke to each other.”

“I really liked the idea of the medieval wing,” Irene interjected, rubbing her hand against his arm. “I mean, it’s bright, has some cool objects, and even has some astronomy stuff… I know it means nothing to us yet, but I have a good feeling about it.”

Joonmyeon kissed her cheek, hugging her even closer, “You know I can’t say no to you.”

“You said no when I wanted to ask for more cake.”

“You just can’t ask for more cake at a cake tasting,” Joonmyeon sighed before he felt her squirm out of her grasp. Complaining about the lack of physical contact, the woman set the photos on the dresser before crawling back over and sitting criss crossed between his knees, holding his hands.

“Do you think we would have crossed paths if we didn’t have cheats?”

Joonmyeon blinked at her question before leaning back against the pillows, thinking about it. “I… would like to think so. I mean… I would have been there at the museum that day anyways.”

“Do you think you would have approached me the same way?” she smiled, “Do you think we would have gone on many dates?”

“I would like to think that we would have already done the deed,” Joonmyeon grinned, earning a smack on the thigh. “I mean, maybe not right away, but maybe we would have done it like on the third date… You’d be so chill, waking up, putting on my clothes and make us cereal while I’m freaking out and wondering if this was the end of us; if I was used for my body.”

Irene chuckled before pulling at the strings on is PJ pants. “No, we wouldn’t have done it on the third date… more like the second. We’d really restrain ourselves on the first, but we’d kiss as you brought me home… and it be one steamy kiss that was made it physically painful to part.”

“I’d probably accidentally knock you up the first time.”

“Haha, you wish,” she giggled before patting his thigh. “I’m on birth control, babe. There’s a really high chance none of your swimmers would even make it.”

“Okay, but we would have way more than we are now,” Joonmyeon blushed, “We would have kept a list of where we did it.”

“Our first time would have been on the couch, not on the bed,” Irene played, scooting closer. “And our second would have been on the kitchen floor.”

“Our third and fourth would have been in my car, back to back.”

“Fifth would have been in your childhood bedroom.”

“Sixth would have been in my office.”

“Seven and eighth, again in your car.”

“Nineth would have finally been on your bed.

“Tenth would have in the shower.”

“No, that sounds way too slippery and messy,” he shook his head. “Maybe in a shower that wasn’t part of a shower-bath tub combo. But tenth would have been outside, under the stars, because I’m a romantic.”

Irene giggled as she looked down at his leg, humming “Our romantic lives sound more exciting without the cheat, than with.”

“Yeah,” he sighed, “But I wouldn’t have it any other way with the cheat. We found each other, jumped into marriage, and I think… even without the cheat, we would have been so in love with each other that we would have jumped into it anyways. Maybe we would have waited longer for the wedding day, but we would have had a shorter honeymoon.”

Smiling, Irene raised her head and looked at him. “You’re in love with me?”

Joonmyeon leaned forward and combed a hand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter