Chapter Twenty-Five

Adventures Between the Notes, Stars, and Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae couldn’t stop staring at the sleeping woman on the cot, occasionally glancing out to watch a student run across campus, wondering why the sky was suddenly a picturesque blue on a crappy day like this. He rubbed his face for probably the umpteenth time and shook his left leg, unable to stop the scene of his best friend looking confused and ill before falling face first unto the pavement.

He had forgotten all emotions over the past week as he had run over to her fallen body, scared for the worse as he tried to wake her up with a few smacks to the face and hopeful kisses to the lips before he pulled her into his arms and hurried to the health clinic with Seulgi.

“Gosh, finals must be getting to her,” Seulgi had said at one point. “I heard she was sleeping in the piano room for the past three days.”

Jongdae looked at the girl, confused, “Why was she sleeping in the piano room?”

“Don’t all the classical music majors have a final recital coming up? I bet she was studying for that,” Seulgi nodded, before humming, “I guess she’s been studying so hard, she forgot to eat.”

Jongdae felt extremely terrible as he looked at the woman, a violent storm of emotions threatening overboard as he thought about the past week without her by his side, but always on his mind.

When Seulgi left, Jongdae finally reached out to hold Wendy’s hand. It felt cold and lifeless, and he wondered—knew that the poor girl must have been like that for the past week. He had only seen it happen once, but when she had a fight with one of her friends back in high school, Jongdae saw how she tried her best to ignore everyone around her and solely focus on her piano music.

However, he could only guess that she was seriously upset by their break up that she pretty much obsessed with her music. Unlike her, he couldn’t concentrate on any of his studying. He tried many times, but he had picked up shifts at work to help him concentrate, but it was no use. He hadn’t stopped thinking about the woman, how they broke each other’s hearts, and how his worst fear became reality as he continued to stare at her sleeping body.

What was he even gonna say when she opened her eyes and saw it was him, the last person he expected her to even think off, sitting next to her?

His watch kept buzzing off, which was continuously annoying him. He had taped the face of the watch to prevent himself from glancing at the watch and finding out whatever info it wanted to tell him. At the moment, he could care less about finding a soulmate. Right now, he was just focused on being there for the woman he couldn’t stop loving.

It was a few hours later, and a quick nap on the uncomfortable chair beside the cot, that Jongdae felt the absences of her hand from his that made him suddenly shoot up, awake with adrenaline as he stared wide eyed at the girl who was staring back at him with the same expression.

Before she could even say anything, he shot out of his chair and immediately wrapped his arms the best he could around her, feeling a bit relaxed at her touch. “You scared me, Dee.”

It was a moment after selfishly hugging her that he pulled back and got a good look at the girl, placing his hands on her cheeks before he had an angry pout on his face. “How could you be so stupid? Not eating and not sleeping, Wendy! And why were you sleeping in the piano room instead of your own bed? I heard you even missed a few classes; you’re on a friggin’ scholarship! Why did you have to be so stupid!?”

As he continued to chastise her, he kept fussing with her. He would adjust the blanket, her hoodie, her hair, or her pillow as he continued to ask why she had been dumb in the past week. However, when he tried to hold her hand, he had stopped when she pulled it out of his grasp harshly; remembering how she withdrew from him the day before the truth came out. It made him freeze as he wondered what was going to happen now.

She glared at him angrily, “Will you stop calling me stupid!?”

Surprised and taken back, he said the first thing that came to mind. “Now, you know how I felt every time you called me that!”

“Oh, c’mon! I did that out of habit! If you really wanted me to stop, you would have told me!”

“Oh, like you told me you had a soulmate?”

Wendy’s eye twitched as Jongdae slapped his hand over his mouth. I shouldn’t have said that, he thought, as he saw her slowly reach out for something behind her.

“At least I…,” she paused before she hurled a box of tissues at him, “told you! Better late than never, huh Jongdae? That’s what you said at the dance; that’s what you said on my seventeenth birthday! And that’s what! You! Said! When! I! Got! My! Scholar! Ship!”

To say Jongdae was shocked when Wendy actually started to hit him with her pillow was a bit of an understanding; where as her usual method of argument was detained to silent treatments and ignoring him, this really made him look like his best friend was a different person as she kept h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter