Episode 8: Bargain

Play By The Cards

Xiumin watched from the shadows of the alley as the boyish looking male got taken away in handcuffs and scoffs. "Pathetic, kid".

Xiumin pushed himself off the wall before running right down the back alley behind the brick apartments, a fence was barricading them in and cutting them off from an open grassy field on the other side. He got to a dark green dumpster and hoisted himself on top of it, the sound of his boots hitting the metal resonating throughout the still space. There was a pipe scaling the side of the building and Xiumin grips on to it and started climbing to the shallow platform of a window and knocked against the dusty glass four times. He clung to the platform as the window opened revealing the face of Irene; a pretty girl with black straight hair, big eyes and a small face.

"You know, you could've just used the front door" she deadpanned moving aside so he could hop down into the dim room. There wasn't a lot inside just a flimsy couch, some offset chairs they got from the garbage dumps outside and a wooden table. For a team of drug dealers you'd think with all the money they got a nice furnished room would be expected but Xiumin and his partners were more concerned with using that money to get the best drugs around. They sold quality pills to people who come asking and they either use it for themselves or self it off for more to which Xiumin and his team always go to collect their share and if they don't comply Xiumin took it by force.

"I couldn't, there's police outside" Xiumin informed. Instantly everyone in the room turned their heads towards him. "What do you mean, police? What's going on?" one of the boys spoke up, Key; a guy with short cropped blonde hair that always wore specs he didn't need. Xiumin went over to sit on one of the couches two of his partners already occupied, Taemin and Max. "There was this huge crowd, someone must've called the department because soon they pulled up to the scene and sealed it off" he started. 

Max got up from where he sat and made his way over to Xiumin, planting himself on the males lap; the smaller didn't object as he kind of had a thing for the hot male, "why was there a crowd?" Max asked. Xiumin adjusted his sitting position gripping the males waist, "there were four people lynched on the metal fire escape" he put out bluntly. 

"What the hell? Why?" Irene stood off to the sides, watching the two males act so close even though they both had a fight not just minutes before Xiumin went out. The male shrugged, "how should I know? When I was leaving though, I got caught up watching a police man and that Baekhyun kid get into a fight; He was winning until a second officer came and handcuffed him" Xiumin told them all. Taemin laughed beside him, "so bold to fight a police officer" he said and Xiumin grunted. "But he got caught, which makes it pathetic by default and after he brought us all that money too, shame".

"Did you catch anything else? Like who did the lynching, was it the kid?" Irene questioned, curious about the type of murder that took place. Xiumin waved his hand "Baekhyun could never have done that, that guy squirms at the sight of lifeless bodies; I'm surprised he stuck around there long. He was probably doing something to benefit his pockets" Xiumin stated. "I didn't hear anything about the lynching but I did catch something the police guy shouted; something about OT8?".

Irene raised an eyebrow as she took a seat on one of the chairs, "what the hell is that?".

"OT8?" Key chimed up in question from where he sat next to two young members, Jaehyun and Doyoung, who were sorting some pills into baggies. Everyone looked in his direction. "Isn't that the same investigation the police did on you and those seven other criminals years ago that made you guys kind of famous?" he questioned some more. 

"Guys, look at this" everyone, intrigued by the new information and the situation, turn their heads towards where the guy known as U-Know sat staring at the lone tablet the crew had. The tall male held up the device showing the screen for everyone to see. It played a broadcast of a camera filming the inside of a silver van, Xiumin's eyes went down to the headline. "If key is right and it is the same investigation; they've just caught two of them".

 

 

 

Suho stared at the TV in his office, the broadcast of the silver van was playing out and inside he could clearly make out lay and if his eyes weren't playing tricks; Wendy. There was also someone else beside them but that wasn't his concern, what was though, is the headline flashing in the screen. 'OT8 investigation back on track? Two captured and linked to public lynching?'.

"So? Is it time to kill some police officers?" Phoenix asked behind him. Suho said nothing. 

Phoenix looked at the screen. He knew the male beside Lay; Baekhyun. They have never actually talked but Phoenix new of him and he found the smaller beyond hot; The way his hair was slicked back and the eyeliner he wore enhanced his look and made him more mature, the tight clothes that clung to his body and showed off his perfect build; Phoenix his lips at the thought of it and smirked. He liked playing with fire and from what he's heard the smaller was a tightly packed fiery ball and Phoenix wanted to pursue it and set it ablaze. 

"Why are you always here?" Suho turned his back to the TV and shut it off with the remote on his desk. The tall male has been coming by often since he started working with the CEO, partly because he liked lounging in an expensive space and the other being that no one was at home to go back to. Phoenix crossed his arms and stared at the males back from under his hood, "why don't you want me here? I'm a good shot; close range and long rage, I even have a mean swing" he said patting his prized metal bat he carried.

"I don't want a bodyguard" Suho said sitting in his desk chair. "Good, because I'm not one. I'll sooner swing the bat and smash your head in than protect you" Phoenix said miming a dramatic homerun swing. The tall male then heard the click of a gun and looked toward the CEO who pointed a silver handgun aiming straight at his chest, his free hand supporting his chin. "Get out" he says plainly. 

Phoenix chuckled and put his hands up in mock surrender "okay, okay" he said as he turned around and walked to the door. Suho immediately pulled the trigger, Phoenix smoothly side stepped it and lifted his metal bat to catch the small bullet; it hits the weapon and goes sailing to the other side of the room. Phoenix looked back at the CEO his lips turned down before he smirks. 

"Nice try, I saw it coming" he said to which the CEO lowered the gun and huffed, "worth the shot, assassin, it almost got you by a hair".

"It's called, dramatic effect" Phoenix winked even though the CEO couldn't see it. 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo sat in front of his TV and watched the news about the lynching and also the news of OT8. Were they really picking up that case again? If so he had to be even more discreet in hiding although Kyungsoo felt as if he had that covered given the fact that he has stolen another persons identity; his body stuffed in the garbage shoot down the hall. But if those officers could capture two of those criminals already he may need to take extra measures. 

 

 

 

Across the city in the 'Monster' casino club, the big TVs overhead played the same news broadcast. Among them Kai and Chen watched along feeling eyes turn their way. Chen smiled and soon his noisy laugh filtered around the club earning everyone's full attention now and not just attempts at discreet glances.

"Bring it on police, you scum!" Chen shouted. "You're messing with the wrong guy!"

The club then turned their heads in Kai's direction who was sitting with one leg draped over the other and stirring a glass of some cocktail mixture. He scoffed, for a group of criminals they were surprisingly obedient and in sync. "Well, how much longer could they have resisted my iness?" he looked up at them all and smiled. The club suddenly erupted in cheers as the two showed determination and the wave of adrenaline coursed through the crowd at the prospect of a criminal and police showdown. 

Lurking in the darkest parts of the club stood a tall lean individual, a mask covering his face as he watches on. "It's not the police you should be worried about" he mumbled.

----------------

"Let me out!" the male known as Baekhyun shouted for what had to be the hundredth time and Sehun was getting fed up. They had locked him and Yixing in one of the concrete holding cells on the main floor of the police unit that was usually used for small offenders that came by in the day and night like alcoholics causing a ruckus or teenagers defacing public property. They were waiting for Chief to get back from the crime scene so Sehun and Jeonho had to keep an eye on them. Sehun turned around to look at the pretty frowning boy,

"You won't be let out, you're a criminal of the law" Sehun replied which only made the male frown more. 

"Listen here you ing -" he started but was cut off, "you really need to learn to control that anger of yours, Baekhyun" Yixing chided. 

Baekhyun whipped around, "are you my ing therapist, Lay?" the doctor just laughed. "Do kindly not to speak to Dr. Zhang like that in case you want to deal with me" Wendy piped up, sipping the cup of tea she requested from them. They had first rejected but soon learned she wasn't one to mess with given the fact that two of their officers now had broken noses. Baekhyun huffed and sat down on the stone bench slab. Sehun raised an eyebrow at the encounter and a thought sparked in his mind, "you guys actually know each other?" he asked. 

Yixing looked over at him but his eyes weren't as cheery and relaxed as his demeanor and Sehun wondered how one could have such different emotions portrayed so prominently. Yixing leaned back against the concrete wall and looked to be pondering how to answer before he just smiled, such a sweet gesture accompanied with dead eyes that looked to be ripping the tall officer apart. "I know everyone".

"Huh?" Jeonho spoke up. "I said, I know everyone" Yixing repeated and then a mischievous smirk crept to his lips. "Even the six guys you're trying to find". Sehun stood there for a minute processing what the male just said but before he could open his mouth, Jeonho piped up "I knew it! I knew it! He was lying".

"Lay?" Baekhyun questioned. But the doctor paid him no mind as he held Sehun's stare, the smirk never leaving. Truthfully Yixing had no intention of telling these officers where any of the other six are, it was luck they even caught him or Baekhyun. He was simply enjoying the reactions and the whole situation.

Suddenly the door to the floor burst open and in walked officer Leeteuk and Chief. Sehun and Jeonho turned around and the two criminals looked over at the two new men, "Where are they?" officer Leeteuk exclaimed already locking eyes with the two and barreling over. The two males behind bars stayed seated and undisturbed just staring at the approaching officer, even Wendy was not intrigued but that didn't surprise Sehun. 

"Officer Leeteuk, please" Chief called but the man didn't listen. "Why did you do it!?" he pointed an accusing finger at the males.

Yixing stood up then, "oh goodie, another officer" he deadpanned. "What is it that you're accusing us of?" he asked switching his hard eyes to the other officer leaving Sehun to feel relieved at being stripped from the pressure his gaze gave off. "The lynching, the dismembered body. We know you and the others of OT8 are a part of that; why are you trying to terrorize this city!?".

"What the , man? We had nothing to do with that lynching or some dismembered body or at least I haven't; you're just spouting bull" Baekhyun said standing up abruptly. "Bull? You think hanging four innocent people to a fire escape and striping them for all too see is bull?" Leeteuk questioned getting into the pretty boys face.

" off, you-" Baekhyun was once again cut off by Yixing who placed a hand on his chest pushing him back. He stood in front of the officer and fixated his eyes on him, getting close to which Leeteuk backed up visably freaked out as Sehun could see and somehow it made him smile; out of nowhere Yixing laughed in his face. "You really think we did that?".

"Y-yes I do" Leeteuk stuttered a bit before composing himself, "you guys have been disrupting the city for too long with your meaningless murders, you're getting out of hand!" he turned to Jeonho and Sehun. "You two, go and start finding the rest them before they try anything else and throw these two in jail!" he pointed to Yixing and Baekhyun "they don't deserve to see the light of day".

The officer turned around to leave but was stopped by Chief planting a hand on his shoulder, Leeteuk looked at him only to meet a scowl, "who do you think you are?" he questioned. Leeteuk furrowed his eyebrow in confusion, "what?".

"Who do you think you are? Acting as if you have any authority to be ordering anyone around, you're not the Chief Leeteuk". The officer glowered at the Chief and then frowned, "I am the head of the officiating unit" Leeteuk jabbed a thumb towards himself "I handle criminal cases".

"This isn't your case, it's theirs" Chief said pointing at Sehun and Jeonho who were just watching the whole debacle, astonished. "So stay in your lane and don't over step it" he finished jabbing a fist firmly into Leeteuk's chest. It was silent as they stared at each other, both frowning before Leeteuk swatted Chiefs hand away and stomped out the door. The head of the department sighed as he looked over at the others; the criminals were both staring at the floor and Sehun and Jeonho stood off to the side awkwardly awaiting further instruction. The Chief slowly walked over to the cell and knocked on the bars earning the three inmates attention. 

"We need to ask you some questions" he said calmly even though he was feeling all types of different emotions seeing two of the eight criminals he's been chasing after for years behind bars; somehow it didn't seem right and that thought surprised the Chief.

"Go ahead, we have all the time in the world" Yixing spoke. Chief looked at him, this man the surgeon; a renowned public figure who's saved countless lives but killed just as many. How could someone who tried to preserve human life also want to take it away? "Why are you a criminal?" he suddenly asked. 

"Chief?" Jeonho questioned and Sehun too looked on, also confused. Yixing stared at the the older man, "Jinyung. Some people don't deserve to live" he said simply and a flare of anger coursed through Sehun remembering the room with all those body parts. "How do you know our Chiefs name?" Jeonho asked. 

"You guys should know this isn't  the first time this case was upholded and you guys weren't the first to come investigation me" Yixing informed keeping the eye contact with the department head. "he had years on me but was naive and believed everything I told him because I've saved thousands of lives".

"But you're a surgeon! You thrive on that, why would you do this? It makes no sense!" Chief exclaimed. "A lot of things don't make sense" Yixing finished. Jinyung sighed and looked to the side at Baekhyun who was biting his nails, "and what about you?" he asked and the pretty boy looked up, his eyes weren't as hard and deep as Yixing's but still held an intensity. For a brief second the Chief saw a small sadness there.

"Look, old man. I'm not going to sit here and have a sentimental talk with you when I'm wrongly locked up" Baekhyun stated. 

"You were scanning people out of their money, that's illegal" Sehun said pointedly. Baekhyun looked at him and rolled his eyes, "how so if they willingly gave it to me? All I said was there is a fee to see the bodies". 

"You mislead them" Sehun now turned to frown at him. "They could've asked questions" Baekhyun said nonchalantly and to that Sehun tripped up. Baekhyun chuckled, "you don't even know how Your Own laws work" Sehun was fuming. 

"Okay, that's enough. You two" Chief pointed at the two detectives "get back on the case and finding the others, I'm afraid we don't have all the time in the world like we might think; something is definitely going on" he says turning around to leave the space. 

"Wait!" Sehun piped up and the Chief turns toward him, "you're not going to ask them about the lynching or the body?". Chief shook his head "they didn't do it". 

"What? How do you know for sure?" Sehun somehow couldn't let it go that it might not be them; maybe because there could be someone else out there that was more menacing and harmful than these criminals and that didn't sit well with the tall male. "You said it yourself. That male was at the scene scamming others and the doctor was already with you" the Chief looked at him "trust me, detective". He finished before leaving. 

"But" Sehun mumbled. "You should listen to your boss, he obviously knows what he's talking about" Sehun turned to the surgeon who was now sitting crossed legged and braiding Wendy's hair. She seemed undisturbed by it as if it was wholly normal for the male to do that out of the blue. "I still don't believe you didn't have a hand in it" Sehun said stubbornly.

"What if Chief is right and someone totally different is behind everything? We have to keep open minds as detectives. We can't just keep barking up the same tree when there are millions around" Jeonho said beside him.

Sehun looked at him incredulously, "you're supposed to back me up" Jeonho smiled and patted his back " I am. Just not fully" and Sehun sighed. 

"Your partner has a point, seems like everyone else is using their brain except you. I know I can kill brutally but lynching isn't my style" Yixing said focusing on the braid he was making, "and that one over there couldn't stand to see a lifeless body, all he does is play with cards all day" the doctor nods his head to Baekhyun. 

"Hey! At least I didn't put my career on the line" the pretty boy exclaimed to which Yixing just huffed. But Sehun wasn't listening anymore, his mind was turning and all that stuck was the word 'Card'. Could it be? He quickly started patting his pockets until he felt the thin object in the back of his pants. 

"This!" Sehun exclaimed holding up the king of spades card. All four people turn to look at him and then at the paper object he held in his hands. "The playing card?" Jeonho questioned.

Sehun didn't miss the recognition on Baekhyun's face as he looked at the object although he tried to mask it but Sehun's eyes were fixated on Yixing who only glanced over. "This, you gave me this" he shook the card. "did I?" Yixing questioned simply. 

"Yes, I'm sure of it. The day Jeonho and I came to investigate you". Baekhyun looked over at the surgeon who was seemingly unbothered by the accusation, "Lay! You bastard!". "Why did you give it to me, what does it mean?" Sehun asked urgently. 

Yixing stopped braiding Wendy's hair and  turned to Sehun, amusement in his eyes. "I gave it to you for fun but seeing as you haven't figured it out yet, I guess I took your observant nature for granted".

"Figured it out? Figured out what? What do you mean?" Sehun question looking at the card better, was their something written on it?

"Wǒ bù huì shuō yīngyǔ (I can't speak English)" Yixing suddenly spoke in a different language and Sehun and Jeonho looked at him as if he grew two heads. "What?" Jeonho asked. Sehun saw Baekhyun snickering, "you know what he said? What did he say?" Baekhyun looked at him with a smirk on his lips, "wǒ bù huì shuō yīngyǔ" he shrugged. 

"You guys think you're so funny, you won't be smiling when-", "Sehun look" Jeonho interrupted pointing to the card the male still held. The tall detective looked down at the paper object, the light from outside was reflecting off the card and Sehun suddenly saw something glare at him. He raised an eyebrow and looked closer bringing it up to his face but keeping the reflection of the sunlight on it. He gasped at what he saw, "what? A logo?!" he voiced. 

"" he heard Baekhyun say. Sehun tries to decipher what it said; he made out a thick circle with the letters M, O and N underneath. What do those letters mean? He tried to read more but the logo was very discreet and the glare too high. 

"What's this a logo for?" Jeonho asked. "that, detective, is none of you concern" Wendy piped up after a long term of silence. "I don't think you exactly have a choice in the matter. Tell us what this is" Jeonho demanded, Wendy crossed her arms "and if we don't? What will you do? Send us to jail for failure to comply with an officer? In case you forgot detective, we are criminals we've never complied with the police" she finished. 

Jeonho was stumped after that because they really couldn't do anything more than send them to jail which they were already going. "Fine" Sehun said turning around and heading over to one of the many computers that sat in the room, most already occupied by workers. He found a vacated one and sat down, Jeonho followed and stood behind him. 

"You won't find it on the internet" the two detectives look over at Baekhyun who's face was blank. "And why not?" Sehun asked,

"It's something of a secret that only passes through criminals" Baekhyun says looking away. Sehun smirked then, "finding hidden things is my specialty". 

Jeonho watched as his partner clicked a few things on the computer suddenly making the screen all white with a lone thin flashing line at the top left of the screen. The younger watched as Sehun flexed his finger and then began to type quickly on the keyboard, his fingers moved so fast that Jeonho couldn't keep up with them and turned to look at the screen where letters, words and symbols popped up just as fast skimming down the screen as things were written. If Jeonho wasn't mistaking they looked like codes, "what are you doing?".

Sehun said nothing as he continued typing, he soon pushed enter and the computer screen went black before columns of 'M.O.N' words started scrolling up the screen, Jeonho was taken aback by what he was seeing. Sehun was smiling to himself as he watched the rows of words pop up on screen giving thousands of options; it brought back a ton of memories and he found himself having to catch himself to mask the visible elation he was feeling. 

"There's too many options" Jeonho voiced behind him, slight 'awe' in his tone. Sehun nodded "yeah, we need to narrow them down" Jeonho was quiet for a while as he thought, looking at the card that was resting on the table and back at the computer screen. "There's only one place where playing cards are the most dominant" Jeonho said "what if it's a logo for a casino club?". Sehun hummed thoughtfully pondering the idea before clicking away the moving columns.

"I said you won't be able to find it on the internet" Baekhyun said watching them from his slab. "Leave them be, Baekhyun" Yixing said his eyes closed.

"Leave them be? This was your fault in the first place, you gave away our hideout and ultimately got yourself caught" Baekhyun said pointedly. Yixing opened one eye and looked at the pretty boy, "who ever said I didn't want to get caught? Plus I think it's time we were, don't you think?". Baekhyun scoffed "you're one crazy . Speak for yourself".

"Found it!" Jeonho exclaimed and Baekhyun whipped his head to look over at the two detectives who had a grainy picture if the casino clubs logo. "What? How?" Baekhyun asked. Sehun got up from the chair "Monster, a casino club" he said. Yixing let's out a long whistle as they came back over, "that's some talent". 

"Yeah, I didn't know you were good with computers, Sehun. Did you work as an IT guy at one point?" Jeonho questioned but before the tall male could say anything, Yixing spoke "No" he said, "that's the talent of a hacker". 

Sehun tensed at the word, he stood in place and fixed his eyes on the surgeon, "what?" Jeonho said. Sehun turned to him and smiled, "I don't know either, he's talking nonsense like always but yes; I did go to school for computer technology" Jeonho nodded slowly.

"Anyways, we need your guy's help" Sehun addressed the three inmates. "No" Wendy piped up, Sehun raised an eyebrow "huh?", "we won't help you find the place" she stated. Once again Sehun was left speechless at how sharp the woman was. 

"Yeah, no, we're not doing that. What would be in it for us?" Baekhyun shook his head. Sehun looked over at the doctor to find him leaning against Wendy, eyes closed and dozing off. Wendy nudged him hard with her elbow and he shot up, "what? What?" he said looking around before his eyes landed on the officers on the other side of the cell, his face grew solemn "oh, we're still here? I was hoping it would be a dream" he yawned. "What is it now?",

"They want us to help them find the casino" Baekhyun informed to which Yixing shook his head "nope, can't do that". "Then why did you give me the card then?" Sehun was getting impatient.

"I told you it was for fun, to see if you could figure it out and come running back demanding I tell you more to which I would then kill you" the doctor said matter-of-factly and Sehun felt a chill over come him at the males serious tone. 

"If you help us, we'll make sure you don't end up in jail" Jeonho said suddenly. Sehun looked at him weirdly "Jeonho, that's no in our-", "we could even pay you" he continued hushing the oder and Sehun saw Baekhyun perk up at the prospect of money. "And if we somehow don't hold up our end" Jeonho said earnestly and determinedly, "then you can kill us" he finished. Sehun whipped his head back to his partner glowering at him. "What!? Are you insane!?".

The laughter of the surgeon filtered over the whole space earning the eyes of the other workers around them. "That's some serious stuff your bargaining. Are you sure?" he asked. Sehun shook his head, "n-", "yes" Jeonho once again cut the male off staring intently at the doctor and then at the other two inmates. Sehun couldn't believe what he was hearing or seeing.

"Well, Baekhyun isn't one for killing so I guess this one's on me". The smirk that Yixing pulled across his face was so menacing and crazed that Jeonho gulped, slowly regretting what he just said.