Chapter 20: Reunion

Play By The Cards

An assistant bursts through the carved wooden doors that are quite a contrast to the glass exterior of the council building. Behind the doors was a big space that held a courtroom type layout similar to those you would see in history books where four or more judges sat behind a high platform of wood and two confession stands stood a few feet away from it and off to the right was the massive jury space addition to behind the stands were benches for the audience. A little ways from the door there was a staircase that led to the top floor to where the luxurious seats were, watching over everything. Those were mainly reserved for the rich in Gincade, the room really was as if made by builders of Lancor with their old fashion ways. 

The assistant came face to face in her frantic state with the four members of council behind the high platform getting ready for a meeting with other democrats in the area about renovating the slump areas. Personally the assistant didn't think that was a good idea seeing as how Gincade was already way to expensive to live in and those who did were either higher class or middle class. The slumps were people who just couldn't afford luxury but basic homes and the council wanted to kick all of them out with no direction just so they can uphold the city's pristine look. All four elder council members, two men and two women, turned to the assistant with confusion and then annoyance at the intrusion. 

"What is it?" council member Jem snuffed, neatly arranging a stack of papers. 

The assistant tried to catch her breath as she had ran all the way to this side of the building from where she originally resided for work upon requested by her boss to break the news to the council. The assistant couldn't believe it when she first heard her boss reveal the chaos that is happening some miles away in another city. She straightened herself and looked into the impatient eyes of Jem. 

"Well?" Kess, one of the other council members staring at her; along with Constance and Kent, asked. 

"I'm from the News & Research department. My boss asked me to convey some terrible news, as it is something the council must be aware off" the assistant stated. 

"Well go on, we don't have much time before our assigned meeting" Constance said; a sickly looking woman who was in her late 30s but kept up a strong exterior despite all the rumors going around that she was on deaths bed. 

"Ilcan has been ambushed and put under attack by an unknown group called 'The Rebellion'". At the mentioning of the mysterious organization the council members all look taken aback and exchange worried looks between each other but the assistant kept going. "The Allegra Dolei are the ones who informed us, a group of people and many children came wandering into their village, they're keeping them safe there but they were told that their land could be next". 

The silence was uneasy and deafening as the assistant spouted the news. Constance leaned over to Kent and whispered, "do you think this could be the same people?" but Kent shook his head. "It shouldn't be, it can't. Their former leaders are deceased and they've been hiding away far from here" he whispered back. 

"Thank you, we will look Into it but right now we have a meeting to uphold" Jem said. 

The assistant spluttered at the lack of concern from the male. "Councilman Jem. Ilcan as we are speaking now is getting demolished, the citizens are being wiped and we have no solid notion that we aren't going to be caught in the chaos" she said urgently. 

"Yes" Jem states, "but I'm sure the police force can handle things, we have matters in our own city to att-", just then someone else bursts in and everyone turns to see who it is. 

The assistant knew the male well, he was colleague of hers in their department. His eyes were urgent and determined. "What is it now? Can't our department handle simple things? Why bother us higher ups when we have important matters to convey in a few minutes regarding our city's well being?" Kess said, annoyance blatant. 

It was clear that these people that the citizens looked to for guidance of their city and much of the others didn't care about them but their own paths and gains even if it required many losses. "We just got word that Lancor has received the heavy attacks as that of Ilcan and is currently being overrun" the male says hurriedly. 

"What is wrong with those cities, can't they handle a bunch of degenerates?" Kent stated. 

"We did some thorough digging" the male interjected, "and found out the organization is the same as the one from years ago, they've been plotting and reviving in ranks. We also noticed irregularities in the downtown slumps of Ilcan and the neighbouring city many of those in our records have vanished over the years even that of some highly dangerous criminals" the male informs. 

The council members stood there staring in disbelief. The assistant was confused at their rigid reaction. Just then loud whining sounds come from above them and they all look to the glass ceiling just before its starts cracking and breaking against little pellet like bullets. 

"What's going on!?" Kess screeched as she ducked down behind the big platform, same for the other council members. 

The woman assistant and her colleague look at each other before hearing shards of glass hitting the floor around them and they booth hurry towards the door. This wasn't good. A loud piercing alarm erupted in the building and before the two workers could twist the knob of the wooden door, a bunch of the cities elite police force stormed in. 

"Council members, we are under attack by an unknown threat, currently the city is being plundered by ammunition" one scruffy looking male spoke aloud as come police officers went to receive the leaders of their country, shielding them from the stray glass. 

Everyone was evacuated from the meeting room just as more noise sounded above and from far off you could here the detonation of what seemed to be bombs going off, shaking the floor under them. The assistant was plenty terrified as she followed the elite force throughout the building witnessing the panic of everyone else trying to get out of the clearly collapsing building. But what was waiting for them outside seemed more terrifying than being crushed by a glass contraption.

 

 

They saw the planes. They were prepared for them. The group of people that they were housing in the main hall were way too frantic not to be telling the truth and Hal knew that Lemon was not one to lie, she may be unbearably witty and eccentric at times but her head was in the right place when it came time. The Allegra Dolei would protect them and their people even if none of them were left standing but a lot of the elders and older ones from the large group were willing to fight with them.

So now the heart of Polkin and experienced assassins were standing side by side as the big planes raced toward them ready to unleash their bombs, but what many didn't know about this remote city was that they had their own defences that they've been creating for years and so when Hal made a signal, the bases that they made further out from the main town opened up at the top and unleashed their missile launchers. In three rows behind the army of fighters, trained citizens sat behind their assigned missiles ready to aim. With another wave of Hal's hand, the first round of missles were let loose and as the group watched them sail, hitting most of the aircraft's up front, sending them spiraling to a fall in the open field. But the men behind the attack weren't dumb, as some maneuvered their planes around the attack and sending one of their own, hitting a base and setting it ablaze. 

"Something is coming!" someone shouted. 

Hal looked toward the hills where the RF05 stopped by a docked platform and saw a mass amount of people in black running their way. Hal frowned, so this is where they join the action, he thinks. 

"Everyone on alert, It's time for us to defend this land with everything we got!" battle cries rained out and then they were off, not wanting to wait until the mass came to them. 

This will surely go down as one of the great battles of Polkin, and he intends to be there to tell it. 

 

 

Baekhyun, Kai and Xiumin followed quickly behind Chanyeol, who ran effortlessly along the buildings roof. Baekhyun wasn't really afraid of heights but it wasn't something he tried to do everyday; climb and scale a building. 

"What's your plan, assassin?" Kai asked the hooded male who jumped the edge onto the motels housing roof; the others followed. 

"Simple. We take out those on the third floor, bust into the room in the middle; pretty boy and Mr. Dealer will go in and see if they find the lot and shortcake and I will fend of the others" Chanyeol states as he crouched down and peers over the roofs edge. "There's at least five of them and I'm pretty sure getting the master key will be more of a challenge than forcing our way in and fighting those alerted. Their leader must be held up in the main office, none of these guys look to be doing anything on their own accord" the cloaked male continued. 

Chanyeol looked up at the others but no one had any complaints as they couldn't offer an alternative. Kai and Xiumin go up behind him and Chanyeol holds up a hand as he silently watches the black clothed males from where he was perched and bent over. "Knock out the two below us and I'll cover you guys".

Kai and Xiumin nod and when Chanyeol flicked his hand forward they both jumped down, Baekhyun came closer and you could here the surprise shouts of the enemies which must've alerted the rest because Chanyeol signals for both of them to go as well and Baekhyun quickly follows. When he lands on the platform it didn't take long to be attacked, he whipped out his knife and impaled the first enemy who goes down with a thump and another follows. Kai and Xiumin both back up to the railing and run towards the door before both kicking out their foot to knock the cheap entrance down. Chanyeol looked to be doing fine on his own as expected, from where Baekhyun fought he looked to have a steel bat as he bashed the black attired enemies in their heads, some just falling to the floor and other flying over the railing which was sure to alert more of the others. 

Baekhyun jumped on the back of the last attacker and roughly lifted his neck and sliced the skin deeply, killing him with one move. He looked at the spotless room, dark with no light and heard the hurried footsteps of his allies searching for any life. 

"Shortcake, you go inside and help the others, I'll be fine here. The noise has gotten the attention of the others" Chanyeol said over his shoulder while he stood near the stairs. Baekhyun heard the booted footsteps of more rebellion coming their way. 

"But I could help" Baekhyun frowned, not wanting to seem like some unwanted sap. He's had enough of that for his entire lifetime. And oddly enough he had an urge to show this mysterious male who looked way too menacing in the raining atmosphere, that he was reliable. 

"No need, sweet lips. I can't go all out if you're here and I quite intend to save face around a beauty such as yourself" Chanyeol stated and Baekhyun made a face as the males annoyingly charming side appeared. The smaller scoffed. 

"Fine, I rather be in there than hear you talk nonsense"  Baekhyun walked into the motel room, feeling a slight smile on his lips; idiot, he thought. 

Baekhyun looked around, it was scarce and small, like any other motel room so he didn't know what was taking the other two so long. There wasn't many places to hide that the enemies outside wouldn't find you, Xiumin's people were most likely dead. He turned a corner to see the open bathroom door and movement inside, he follows the commotion to see Xiumin and Kai standing in the middle of the room looking above them. Baekhyun follows their eyes and sees an opening in the roof board and dangling legs. 

"What the hell?" Baekhyun said. Xiumin turned around to see him, "we found them, they were hiding in some secret compartment in the ceiling.

The person who was dangling there legs drops down and Baekhyun recognizes her as the girl who let them in through the window when they were carrying out their ambush, Irene. Xiumin catches her and one after another, people from the grungy apartment came out but it was only the two kids, the girl, Key and Taemin.

"We have to go, I don't know how long Chanyeol can hold everyone off" Baekhyun said. 

"That guy? I'm pretty sure he can last longer than you" Kai said with an annoying grin. And Baekhyun balled his hands into fists wanting to use the knife in his hand to end him. 

They all run out of the room only to stop short at the massacre that awaited them outside. There were bodies all over the ground and when they went down the stairs, they almost slipped on the gallons of spilt blood and bodies. When they made it to the clearing in front of the motel that looked out to the sidewalk, they saw Chanyeol standing in the middle of a heap of dead rebellion, his shoulders heaving heavy breaths. 

"Damn, I really am out of shape" he said and looked back to them. Baekhyun couldn't believe his eyes, his cloak was black but it was no mistake that he was drenched in blood, there were even splatters of it on the lower half of his face they could see. Baekhyun's heart pounded, he knew the male was not normal but to be this amount of ruthless was beyond the younger, yet unlike the group of people they just found behind him, he wasn't the least bit put off. Just shocked and he knew Xiumin and Kai felt the same. All of them has seen a lot of blood in their time and that wouldn't ever faze them again but to see someone deliver such fatal catastrophe was new; like a one man army equipped with the bombs and bullets all in one. 

"Great you found them, now let's--" Chanyeol started but there was a click of a gun and the taller felt it press against his back. He frowned. How did he not hear the guy walk behind him?

"I admit, you've thrown me for a loop with how efficiently you killed most of my regime, but I can't let you get any farther than this" the person with the gun spoke up. 

Beside him on his right,  Baekhyun saw Xiumin stiffen and his eyes grow wide. "No" he mumbled. And Baekhyun frowned in confusion as the person behind Chanyeol revealed themselves but kept his gun trailed on the taller. The smaller saw a fair group of rebellion behind him aiming at their group; they were trapped. 

The male was short, probably inches more than Baekhyun. His hair was straight and blonde and his eyes looked way too innocent to be on an enemy side. Kind of like when a younger brother tried to fit in with his older brothers group of friends. But Baekhyun could tell those eyes that used to hold carefreeness, was hardened and dark. 

"Xiumin, we meet again. It's been a really long time" the male said and Baekhyun's saw a spark of emotion there before it was gone. 

Xiumin's voice was shaky as he addressed the male, "Luhan".