Episode 9: Hell

Play By The Cards

"Boss" the lanky male pushed through the dusty door of the house that looked like it would collapse if too many people stepped foot in it. The room was the only thing cleaned and made up being the place his boss used the most when he wasn't at the warehouse compound. 

"What is it?" he asks gruffly standing by the window and looking out on to the empty streets. He was a handsome dude, tall, brooding and strong features. The lanky male makes his way over to stand beside him and train his eyes outward looking over the place they called 'home'. The whole place had a constant grey hue over it curtosy of the big fire that engulfed it years ago and deemed it inhabitable; the streets dusty with old soot turned chalk, houses charred and saggy looking but surprisingly still firm despite the creaks and groans, the only life roaming around being their big troupe of people. They were still near the main city but it was an hours ride up and back not counting the run in's with wild animals of the thick forests surrounding the area. 

"The police are on the move, they're asking more questions" the lanky male said before he scoffs. "They think it's some group of misfit criminals who are doing the killings; they've captured two of them, OT8 I believe" he informs. 

His boss says nothing for a while as he just stares blankly out the window, hands clasped behind his back. "Where's that partner of yours?" he asks in a deep voice void of any emotion. "He's checking the warehouse inventory, why?" the younger questioned. His boss smiled but it looked twisted as if it didn't fit his face, "the two of you gather some of the men, it's time we upped our antics; really instill some fear into that city" his boss clamped a hand on the lanky males shoulder earning an unwilling wince; the smile stayed. "He won't know what hit him", the younger looked at his boss with his ugly smile wondering who he was talking about. 

 

 

 

 

The last bit of the sun blends in with the dark sky off in the horizon as it disappears. Phoenix sat at the edge of a building with one feet dangling and the other propped up to where he rested his arm and head. He looked out into the sea of lights made from stores to apartments and houses, he then looked up to the sky and there was nothing; no stars, just a lonely moon. A low breeze blew but being higher up in altitude made it stronger rustling the hood he kept over his eyes; unrevealing and blending into the night like he was meant to be, a shadow.

So their after us again, huh? He thinks to himself as he watched the small specs of pedestrians crossing streets or strolling on the sidewalks. In those masses walks six criminals hiding away waiting to be captured and to that he chuckles to himself. Phoenix's ears suddenly twitch under his hood and he turns in a quick motion, lifting his hand up and catching the sharp blade that would've otherwise ripped through the fabric of his hood and lodged itself into his neck. He looked up only to stare at dense shadows of the buildings roof. 

"Why are you here? I thought you had a special mission out the city" Phoenix says to the clustered shadow and a person suddenly steps out as if they had materialized there out of thin air. The male was tall, bulky and intimidating as he walked up; his foot steps light and on the border of nonexistent. Phoenix turns back to the city scape.

"I heard" the males deep gruff voice said disturbing the stillness of the rooftop. "The hunter becoming the hunted" he stayed standing just behind the younger. 

Phoenix chuckles some more settling back into his previous position, "you can't be hunted if you don't exist" he says, staring intently at a group of kids stumbling up the sidewalk; drunk and Phoenix suddenly had the itch to burn them. Digging his hand into his pocket and pulling out the lighter he flicks it a few times before the hot light emerged. His other hand now comes up to support his cheek as Phoenix extends his arm to its full length; waiting. The tall, bulky male behind him stayed silent and if Phoenix were anybody else he would think he was gone, vanished as swiftly as he had apppeared.

Phoenix gingerly fingerd the metal object, the flame still burning densely as if the wind had no effect on it. The group of people come into line with his arm and he drops the lighter; both males watching it hurl itself directly on to their heads. They watch as the flame catches the bristles of their hair and tips of their clothing; growing and connecting as it took a hold of them violently and possessively. Screams ring out high and panicked from the group of flamed humans to bystanders and those walking near. The group disperses as they run around frantically their skin probably burning off; the stark contrast of the bright flames and the night sky was mesmerizing. Beautiful, Phoenix thought.

Those who weren't screaming were staring in horror and Phoenix and the tall bulky male looked on, faces neutral as their hoods hid them; shadows of the night.

"Fear is creeping" the male behind him says darkly. Pheonix smiles a sickly sweet smile, "it's already here".

----------------

Sehun couldn't believe he was doing this. Wearing skin tight clothes and dark makeup, his hair styled up instead of the usual locks falling over his forehead. Baekhyun had insisted it was crucial to dress this way if he wanted to go along with his plan. Sehun now stood in the dark alleyway filled with drunkards, es and drug dealers; being part of the police force his instinct was to arrest most of them but that's not why he was here, he was here for a more dangerous bunch. 

He saw the opening in the wall and sure enough the sign gleaming 'Monster' laid there. Sehun noticed how remote the location was tucked between an alley no one but criminals would dare enter, clever he thought. He walked up to the descending stairs to see a brooding bouncer and he gulped, he was entering hell's den. The detective had no weapons on him as they would stand out against the tight outfit. Sehun looked discreetly down further into the alley to see a bundle of scattered people conversing with each other looking just as provocative as him but in less tight clothing so they could hide their guns without warning. Sehun spotted Jeonho and Leeteuk who insisted on coming if they wanted to use some of his men and they made eye contact giving firm nods to each other. 

Sehun clomped down the steps stopping as the bouncer trained his intense eyes on him. He looked the detective up and down scanning slowly and if Sehun was crazy he would've sworn he saw him his lips. "Card" he said deeply and Sehun just blinked a moment before getting it and dipping his hand into the back of his jeans and taking out the king of spades playing card. Yixing had explained that the card was sort of an entry ticket to the club, everyone who went had one. Sehun had been curious in wanting to know where they got it from but Yixing just laughed amusingly and said "spilling secrets weren't part of the bargain".

The bouncer took the card and then a flashlight out of his pocket and shone it on the paper object obviously looking for the glistening logo. The brute must of found it because he grunted and ed the card back to him, reaching over to take the handle of the big door and opening it so he could enter. Sehun wasted no time in tucking the card back into his pocket and going in not wanting to give the bouncer any reason to second guess him and somehow notice that he was anything but a criminal. The big door closed loudly behind him and his shoulders went rigid as he stood in a dark hallway encased by two walls that had ripped flyers all over them, Sehun saw a light near the end and walked briskly towards it.

As he passed through and turns a corner his eyes go wide at the scene. The place was huge with its high decorated ceiling of chandeliers and masses of people scattered around with music blaring around that could damage anyone's eardrums. Sehun couldn't hear any of this from the outside. The place was covered in red carpet except the platform that was a bar which had polished wood flooring, of course it being a Casino Club their was a big gaming area with tables of people gambling. The detective walked further in and was jostled by people who he didn't notice standing by the entrance. Still in awe he looked around, stay focused he told himself. Snapping out of his daze he made his way to the bar thinking back to the conversation at the police department.

 

 "Blend in" Baekhyun said through the bars of the holding cell, "don't just go looking around for and being nosy, you'll be found out immediately" Yixing nodded along although his eyes were closed; Wendy was sleeping bent against him, Sehun had felt a bit bad that she had to be in there until he remembered that she basically helped a doctor decapitated and kill patients and a frown came over his face and the sympathy left him.

"I would say go to the bar, it'll seem less suspicious" Yixing put in "people will gravitate towards you especially if you dress the way Baekhyun tells you". Sehun nodded along while Jeonho being as diligent as he was; wrote down notes.

"But you haven't told us what they look like" Jeonho said behind the taller detective "how would we know we got the right guys". Baekhyun scoffed " detectives you are, use your heads; you're the ones with our files, no?"

"Whether you catch them or not isn't our concern because either way if you don't hold up your end" Yixing started, opening his eyes to look at Sehun a glint of menace in them; Sehun gulped, "you're dead".

 

Sehun took a seat on one of the stools and held his hand up to call over the bartender. "Can I have a whiskey?" he asks and the bartender swiftly leaves him to go get his drink. Sehun took the time to look around, two seats away were a group of lean men who looked to be standing around someone. Sehun leaned his head a little bit to side to see a male sitting on the stool and he gasped a little bit the male was gorgeous, handsome face and soft features framed by a sharp jawline but what stood out the most was his bronze golden skin. The detective didn't really have a preference in partners whether it be boy or girl so it wasn't odd to him that he found the man extremely attractive. 

Sehun kept watching the male as one of the other guys surrounding him slid something onto the counter top just as the bartender came back to give Sehun his glass filled with whiskey. What was that? Sehun squinted his eyes trying to make out the packet and he saw white, ? Suddenly a crackle near his ear interrupted his thoughts and it took a moment to realise it was the earing he was wearing on his left ear. The object was a speaker transmitter that was connected to the ones Jeonho and Leeteuk wore so they could communicate if they needed to. 

"Sehun, you there?" he heard the distorted voice of his partner come through. "Yes I'm here" he spoke softly. 

"See anyone that looks suspicious yet? Or anyone that matches the descriptions from our files?" Jeonho asks. They had both read up on each file again so they can thoroughly identify a member although it wasn't really a reliable source. "Jeonho, they are all suspicious they're criminals".

Sehun looked back over at the gorgeous male and his companions to see them all drinking, the packet nowhere in sight. He heard the nervous laughter of his partner through the transmitter "yeah, you're right. It's just that if we don't catch them we will basically be going back to our deaths with nothing to account for" he says. "And who's fault is that?" Sehun deadpanned. 

"Talking to yourself, handsome?" a sudden voice said behind Sehun who quickly turned around, surprised. The male takes the stool beside him and looks at the detectives untouched whiskey, "rough night?" the stranger asked. Sehun recognises him as the gorgeous man that was just sitting two stools down, he was about to turn to look over to where he came from but Sehun felt a hand on his cheek bringing his face back to stare at the nicely sculpted features of the bronze skinned male. 

The beautiful man smiled and Sehun felt his stomach do knots at the sheer prettiness of it, how can one guy be this attractive? But before the detective could get distracted Sehun was reminded that this was a club of criminals and he put up his guard. He came here for a purpose not to try and get laid; at this point of not knowing their targets faces anyone could be one of them. Sehun kept it cool,

"You could say that" he said picking up the untouched drink and taking a long swig of it in one go, finishing it. He felt the hand of the male sliding confidently up his thigh without so much as a stop until it rested over his crotch and Sehun nearly chocked as he put the glass back on the counter, "I haven't seen you around before, are you new?" the handsome male questioned as he gave Sehun a squeeze, the detective would be lying if he said arousal didn't chime at the base of his stomach. 

"I saw you looking at me" he said getting up from his stool and coming closer to Sehun who sat there dubious. Their faces were levelled as Sehun sat in his spot, the male was fairly tall although Sehun probably had an inch or two on him if he stood up. "do I pique your interest?" the bronze skinned males words dripped seductively, Sehun was feeling overwhelmed. His hands were freely roaming over the detective as he brought his face closer almost touching lips with Sehun, his breathing hitched. The detective wasn't stranger to ual encounters but this male seemed more advanced than those he's ever came across, more bold. One of the males hands went around his waist pulling Sehun closer. 

"Let's go back to my place, I have a couple supplements that'll send us over the moon as you drill me" the attractive man said blowing against Sehun's lips while palming his . Sehun bit his lip, his mind was betraying him as he let this man, this criminal stir him. It took a moment for Sehun's mind to catch up and realize the male meant drugs and his thoughts suddenly snapped back into place as he remembered the packet the male was handed, he looked back at the seat he had been at and his eyes widened when he saw the group of men sprawled out the floor, drinks spilt on the counter the bartender was now cleaning and streaming to the floor where there were even glasses on the floor. What the hell? How did he not notice that commotion?

Sehun looked back at the male who just connected their lips and without hesitation slipped his tongue between Sehun's lips. What was happening? Sehun thought to himself as his tongue was now being ally on by the attractive male, an unwilling moan slipped from him and he scolded himself, this wasn't right. Did he just kill those people? But how? With what? His thought were spinning as his neck was now being at the base, the males hands trailing down his chest and Sehun watched as he fell into a crouched position in front of his pants, his skilled fingers ped the detectives jeans and Sehun quickly covered his crotch with his hand.

"What are you doing?" he asked, his thoughts trying to fit all these pieces together, the packet clearly filled with drugs, the drinks, the sprawled men around the seat not breathing, the spilt liquid; even the seducing. A flash of a manila paper file came to mind and Sehun's heart thumped as he looked back at the attractive bronze skinned male who was pouting in between is legs, "I couldn't wait until we got to my place".

Sehun scrambled to his feet knocking I've the bar stool earning a glare from the bartender. "Jeonho, are you there? Jeonho?" he said quickly earning a confused look from the male who was still crouched looking up at the detective. 

The muffled and cracked voice of his partner came through "Yes, what's wrong did you find one?" his partners voice turned hopeful. Sehun nodded his head even though he couldn't be seen "yes, I think I-" but before he could continue a loud crash earned his attention. Even the attractive male who was now standing was looked to his right. 

Across the space by one of the gambling tables a man stood up chucking chairs across the room, they broke against the wall with the force, he then turned to the guy beside him, "you ing cheat! Give me back my money or I'll smash your head in!".

Sehun heard a scoff beside him, the attractive man stood there and crossed his arms "Chen, the er, so annoying. If you can't play why waste your time?". Sehun's mouth ran dry at the prospect that he just let a criminal who kills others mercilessly him. "You're one of them" Sehun spat "you're part of Ot8".

At the sound of that name Kai stiffened and glanced back at the man, who he now really looked at. He didn't look like one of them, not at all. He was dressed like them but it didn't suit him. Kai looked at the males eyes, horror and disbelief glazed over them but they weren't dead and painless like other criminals they were lively and hopeful; disgusting. The man reached out for him, "you're under arr-" but Kai didn't let the man finish, he turned and started running to which he heard the male curse.

Sehun watches him run down the stairs and out onto the open floor, he followed suit only to start frantically talking to the transmitter "Jeonho! I found one of them! Hurry! He's running out the rear doors, take back up and surround him!" Sehun shouted "on it!" he heard Jeonho say. Sehun looked over at the male who was still shouting, Chen, the attractive male called him, he had a grip on the males shirt yelling into his face. 

"I'll knock you clean dead! Give me my money!" he shook the man and those sitting at the table got up warningly to circle the male. Sehun found himself making a beeline for the male. Chen swiftly took a gun from his waistband and aimed it straight at the forehead of the surprised man. "Give me my money!".

" you, man! You lost the bet, it up and go home" the crack of the gun was loud and everyone looked over at the sudden noise. Sehun stopped in his tracks watching as the male with the gun let go of the now dead man. The others around the table also took out their guns and trained it on the male who cackled amusingly. Sehun rushed over and grabbed the man's arm who quickly him and aimed the gun between his eyes, the detective went still but gripped on tighter, "what do you want? Let go if me before I pop you too along with these ers" Chen jerked his head to the others surrounding him. 

Sehun couldn't be more sure that this was also one of them, how else would that other one know him? He's seen a lot of murderers and criminals but somehow these guys always stood out and Sehun just knew. "You're under arrest for being associated in planned attacks on citizens" Sehun said. "What the you talking about, man? Let me go or I'll pull this damn trigger, who are you to say ?".

"We've already caught two of you and we are about to catch two more" Sehun said and as if in realization the criminal known as Chen, narrowed his eyes and abruptly ripped his arm from the detective and sprinted off. These guys were really relentlessly, Sehun thought sprinting after him, murmurs and talks filtered through the crowd of an officer in the midst, suddenly two guys stepped in to his path and pulled a gun on him, they pulled the trigger and if Sehun didn't step aside soon enough he'd be dead. Others were now whipping out weapons on him and Sehun thanked the gods the police force demanded a knowledge in combat. His eyes were still fixed on the male who was running and swiftly skipping through people heading for the exit as he connected his elbow and feet into the sides and shins of criminals coming for him. 

Sehun slipped from their masses and ran down a different hall he saw the male go that wasn't the entrance. A door resided there and Sehun burst through it just as he saw the coat of the male turn the corner, Sehun sprinted until they were both running down a busy street. The night had a nice breeze to it as it blew over Sehun's face. He was catching up to Chen, who made an abrupt turn, Sehun spoke up "Stop!" the man aimed the gun behind him and shot, missing. The people around screamed at the gun shot and some even started running. Sehun had to maneuver around them,

"Jeonho!" he spoke to the transmitter "where are you? Did you catch the guy?" there was a bunch of crackling before a faint voice came over the line "yes! We got him he made us run as far as Maryland before we could corner him, we had to split up" his partner informed. Sehun looked up at the street signs, Limnar, it read. "I'm on Limnar, I got another one of them, he's coming up Maryland, tell some of the officers to cut him off". 

Sehun kept running getting closer, he hasn't ran this much since highschool when he played soccer. "There was another one there?" he heard the distant voice of Jeonho ask "actually I'm not sure" Sehun admitted "I'm going on a gut feeling but he just seemed like one. I couldn't rack my brain for a file description". 

They were coming up the street at the intersection of the two streets and Sehun suddenly saw two officers rush out of a nearby street and tackle the male to the ground Sehun soon caught up and stood over the three bodies, chest heaving. Chen was struggling mightily but the two officers just pressed their knees into his back and pinned his arms. " you all! Get off me!" he shouted. Bystanders stopped what they were doing to look over at the scene. Sehun looked over just a few feet in front of Chen to see his gun, he went to go pick it up when he heard the wail of sirens coming up the street. The detective saw the flashing red, blue and white lights. The cars soon stop around the scene and out comes the other officers along with Leeteuk and Jeonho. His partner bounds over to him, his eyes wide "what the hell happened!?" he asks astonished and Sehun looks at him confused, "what are you talking about?" Jeonho lifted a hand and touched his face, "you have a bruise under your eye. Sehun brought his own hand up to touch the now tender spot.

"I just got into and altercation" the detective said. The police officers lifted up a now handcuffed Chen who was still trying to shake them off. 

"Is that him?" Jeonho asked and Sehun nodded. "You sure he's part of OT8?" Sehun shrugged, "if he's not then we still did the city a favour getting this maniac off the street, he shot a man in cold blood". Sehun looked at his partner as they walk over to one of the police cars, hearing Leeteuk shouting at the criminal. "Do you still think these guys aren't responsible for those gruesome murders?" Sehun looked at his partner, feeling tired an worn. 

"Yes" Jeonho said as they got into the police car, his partner in the drivers seat and Sehun in the passengers seat with two officers in the back. Sehun looked at him incredulously as they begin to pull out ready to head back to the department. 

"Jeonho, these guys are merciless, one of them I'm pretty sure drugged a group of men and they were dropped like flies on the floor! And then tried to seduce me" he added. His partner chuckled despite the seriousness of the situation "I'm betting you'e taking about the golden skinned handsome male" he said "I wouldn't mind him trying to seduce me".

"Don't say that, you don't mean that" Sehun dismissed his partners joke. "Sehun you were in a criminal casino club, if anything they did us a favour" Jeonho said turning a corner.

"Don't talk like that, you scare me when you do. I just can't believe you're not getting that these guys are dangerous" Sehun shook his head looking into the rearview mirror to see the other two police cars following them.

"I trust Chief and if he says they aren't the cause who am I to argue?" Jeonho says. Suddenly his partner slams his foot on the break and Sehun goes sailing into the dashboard and the two officers into the front seats. "What the hell Jeonho?!" Sehun exclaimed to his partner who's eyes were wide and staring out the windshield. 

Sehun followed his gaze and he too widened his eyes at the sight. There were two firetrucks blocking the streets as people watched on, some whispering to each other or just looking on in horror. The two detectives get out of the car to take in the scene. On the ground were people who looked to be charred black scattered out as the firefighters put out the last remaining fires emerging from their bodies. "What in the hell? Jeonho said incredulously. 

"What happened here!?" Sehun heard Leeteuk beside him and he looked over at the older officer who's face was contorted into rage. 

A guy standing a few feet a way looked over at them and then at the police cars, he walked closer. "They just suddenly caught on fire and started running around screaming, someone called the fire department but it was too late" his face was grim with fear Sehun saw, he must've witnessed the whole thing. Sehun's jaw worked at the sight of the people's charred bodies, so gruesome, what the is going on? He asked no one in particular. Sehun just then realised the vans of news channels and a sudden Deja Vu over came him, it was like the day they saw the lynched bodies. He cursed them in his mind, all they wanted was a story for the people just twist it and manipulate.

Just then an ear shattering 'boom' engulfed them, people screamed as the ground started shaking and Sehun reached to hold on to the hood of the police car. He looked at his partners who looked equally as surprised. Another shattering boom sounded and the ground shook again, people were now panicking and running around. Sehun looked up the street to see bursts of fire exploding around the base of some buildings and his eyes widened. The buildings tipped and soon they were all caving in on themselves, crashing to the ground. The whole street shook and the people running around fell and those who were aware enough held on to something. One of the fire trucks even tipped and the firefighters had to push others out of the way although Sehun looked on in horror as someone got caught underneath. 

 

 

 

Chief stood up in disbelief as he watched the TV. He was sitting at one of the desks near the holding cell that held the three criminals, he had been trying to get some information out of them but they wouldn't budge. The other workers in the room also looked on as the horror was captured, the charred bodies and now the explosions. Chief looked back at the pretty boy, Baekhyun and Yixing; even the girl was watching on. There faces were passive as their eyes glued to the screen. 

"Looks like we're all going to hell" Yixing said only to cackle at the end.

Chief turned towards him and then back to the TV, how were all these things happening if OT8 were being captured? Was it the other four? It couldn't be, they couldn't have set that all up, could they? Chief didn't know anymore but his gut feeling wasn't letting him pin it on the guys a few feet behind him in the cell or the ones that Leeteuk informed were in the police car; so who? Who could so blatantly want it out for this city?