File Unlocked : Lay

Play By The Cards

 

Zhang Yixing a.k.a; Lay

October 7th 1991

Surgeon

 

the river flowed smoothly downstream, the splashing waves were the only noise in the deep forest other than some singing birds. Yixing sat by the river bank completely enthralled by the swimming fishes he could see underneath the current. 

"Hello, fishies" he said as he stuck his hand slowly into the water.

At first it disturbed them but soon they just adapted and swam around him, some brushing his fingers as they raced passed. Yixing was fascinated by the scaly touch of them. 

"You're so pretty" he said. His eyes then glance towards the bright blue, plastic watch he had around his wrist.o

"Ah, time to get back" he mumbles, already standing up and dusting himself off with his dry hand.

Just then something moving caught his attention and he looked to his right. A small bird laid flapping helplessly in the grass, chirping. 

"Awe, little guy, what happened?" Yixing questions, going over to the needy bird. 

He bent over the little bird and helped it so it now stood on two feet, "there you go".

Yixing watches as the bird flaps it's wings and starts flying off, he then takes out the slingshot he had in his back pockets and aimed it at the small creature that was getting farther away. Once he was locked on target he let the rock go and it went sailing, successfully hitting the bird and Yixing laughed. 

"Bull's-eye".

He runs over to where the bird fell and witnessed the blood coming from beneath him. Yixing crouches and flips the animal over for a better look, there, sharply lodged into the birds neck, was his rock. 

"Looks like we're going to have to get you some medical attention".

Yixing has been fascinated with doctors, specifically surgeons since he's watched shows on TV. He loved seeing them save lives but also he found it oddly satisfying when some of them died on the operating table. To him some of them didn't deserve to be operated on, like the e in one episode or the rude man who couldn't wait his turn.

He also had a connection with medicine mixing since his grandmother has been doing it for years, selling them and earning profit back when her mother died and it was just her and her sister having to fend for themselves. 

Yixing pressed some tissue he had in his pocket to the birds neck and quickly made his way out of the forest and into the vast, grassy space where his grandmother's home was just on the outskirts.

He has lived with his grandmother since he was 5, he was now 13. His mother and father had died in a massive car accident that ended their lives instantly. It was odd because Yixing felt no mourn for them, he had often asked his grandmother who came to the funeral to take him in as his only living relative, why others were crying? She seemed a little surprised but said,

"It's a sad occasion, Yixi, your parents are dead you're supposed to cry".

From then on, Yixing had thought himself as abnormal for not doing what others found to be normal. Kids at school never wanted to be around him, saying he was weird and spacey, a freak. They played tricks on him, laughed at him but Yixing always got his revenge. 

One by one those who taunted him ended up in the hospital unexpectedly, each one looking like a freak accident. He pushed one of the boys down the stairs, he made sure one of them burnt their hand on the Bunsen burner in science. He's never once felt sorry, they deserved it.

He clambers into the back shed by the garden his grandmother grew, full of vegetables and flowers. The shed was kind of like Yixing's work place, where he brought his targets to mend on. Once he had snuck a deer into the shed after he had broken its leg. That was the most challenging.

He placed the bird on the wooden table and laid out his makeshift tools, a tweezer, some cotton balls and water.

"Now let's get you patched up, I promise I'm the best doctor you'll ever find" he said to the bird, who's breaths were short and shallow. 

"Don't die on me bird, keep fighting" Yixing stated dramatically as if he was acting out one of his surgeon TV shows. 

He went to work taking out the stone, washing the wound and for the finishing touch he wrapped it in a thin strip of cloth around the birds neck.

Looking down at his work he smiled."I did it! I told you I was the best!"

He picked up the bird and enthusiastically ran out the shed, heading towards the main house. 

Entering the place he's called home for eight years, he sniffed in the familiar smell of baked goods. The house was fairly small but big enough for two people, there was the standard furniture in the living room around a TV, the kitchen just behind it and down the hall were the bedrooms and bathroom. 

"Grandma! Grandma!" he shouted happily running towards the room where he new his grandma was sleeping. 

He throws open the door but as his eyes looked in front of him he stopped abruptly, dropping the bird with a thud. The small animal thrashed violently.

There in front of him, his grandma lay still on the floor, one hand outstretched towards her door that connected to the bathroom as if she was trying to get there. 

Her pills, Yixing thought. It was time for her pills and he hadn't been there to give it to her. His grandma had a bad heart and was advised to take pills that helped with the condition or else a heart attack could occur.

He looked on, sadly feeling nothing but pity for the woman whom he was supposed to take care of in turn for her taking care of him. She was much to old to raise a child but yet she took him in not wanting him to be put up for adoption.

Yixing looked down at the bird, who was still thrashing. He lifted his foot and stepped on it, hearing the bones crack beneath the soles of his shoe.

"Bad bird" he said.