[2]

Habit

Hello guys!!! Here's chapter 2, I hope you like it!


2

When he woke up, the first thing that Jimin noticed was the coldness of the air in his tiny apartment. Second was the darkness of the room, relative to the usual sight that greeted him when he wakes up in the morning. A quick glance to the alarm clock he brought with him from Busan made him realize what was so different that morning.

“4:30… really?” Jimin groaned before he decided to stand up from his bed. He knew that he would not be able to go back to sleep because of how nervous and excited he felt. So instead of trying – and mostly likely failing – to steal a few more minutes of sleep, he thought he would rather start preparing early so he could present himself in the best way possible.

And besides, if he fell asleep, it is possible for him to wake up later than planned, which could make him run late for the interview, which would make him jobless again. And then he would have to go home empty-handed and just cry and live the rest of his life living off his parents.

Of course he did not want that to happen.

“Good morning, sir, I’m Park Jimin, 26, from Busan.” Jimin recited as he scrubbed his arm with the shower running. He was nervous, really, but he also believed that the best solution to being nervous is being prepared. He thought that if he would already rehearse the things that he would say later in the interview, it would be a lot less daunting. “I believe that this company would benefit… ah, wrong phrasing. It sounds too proud.”

Right after showering and drying himself up, Jimin proceeded to donning his formal attire which consists of a blue long-sleeved button up and a pair of fitted black pants. It was still early when he finished with his preparations, so he decided to double check the documents in his bag.

He removed the envelope from its plastic jacket, and scanned its contents. Résumé, check. It was nothing special, really. Given that he was practically a fresh graduate, he did not have a lot to put in it. But it worked the last time he used it to apply for his previous job. If it did serve its purpose back then, he did not find any need for him to revise it.

Next was his portfolio. The document contained mostly designs – ones that were still concepts – and some pictures of event venues that he designed back when he was still a student. One was his Japanese-themed event design for a dormitory event. He was proud of it more because of the amount of effort that he managed to put into it than because of the actual output. According to his friends, his designs and outputs were amazing, given that he only worked within a very limited budget and time.

He was never really contented with his products. Jimin always broke down the night before an event, thinking that what he made was ugly. But at least, some people thought otherwise.

“Hmmm?” Jimin questioningly hummed, looking at his blaring phone as he closed his portfolio.

“Hyung?”

“Are you ready?” Jimin heard Yoongi ask through the phone, and even though they could not see each other, the younger knew that the elder was excited.

“Well… kind of.” Jimin answered. “You seem more excited than me right now.”

“Of course I am excited!” Yoongi said. “You’ll like it here, I swear.”

Jimin released a sigh of nervousness before talking to the phone. “That is, if they would hire me. You know… I don’t really have that much feats when it comes to designing. And Wings is a big-time company! Why would they hire someone like me?”

“Oh come on, Jimin, have some faith in yourself!” The elder cheered. “Just be yourself, and I sure you won’t fail to impress, I tell you that much.”

His ex’s words successfully put a smile on Jimin’s face, feeling a bit of his will and self-esteem restored. “Thanks, hyung. You really the right things to say at the right moments.”

“Well, what can I say?” Yoongi chuckled. “Okay, see you later, then, I have to go to work now. I have an important meeting to go to.”

“Okay, hyung. Good luck and thanks!”

After the call, Jimin faced the full-length mirror and straightened his back. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and smiled.

“I can do this. You can do this, Park Jimin! Fighting!”

When he was done with last minute checks before leaving his room, Jimin went out into the streets of Seoul and began leisurely walking to the address of the building Yoongi has sent him the night before.

Turns out, the building of the Wings Company was a lot closer to his apartment than he thought. That, or he was just too absorbed with the music playing in his earphones that he did not notice just how much he had already walked.

“Just in time.” Jimin mumbled after looking at his phone’s time when he arrived in front of the colossal building which will be his new workplace. Given that he passes the interview.

Gathering up confidence, the aspiring designer entered the building, not without smiling at the guard and greeting him with a “good morning”. He then headed straight to the assistance desk to inquire about the location of the room where the interview will be held.

Jimin was too busy cheering himself up while walking to the elevator that when he rounded a corner in the hallway, he did not notice a group of people heading right to the same corner, only from the other side.

Thud.

The sound of collective gasps by most of the men Jimin ran into and the other people around the area filled the hallway and the lobby. It was a chaos. The short boy winced as he tried to sit up with no one helping him.

The person he bumped into, on the other hand, was practically being lifted up by so many hands.

“S-Sorry.”  Jimin muttered his apology even before he was completely up from the floor. “A-Are you alright?”

“Yes.” The man answered, now shaking off the invisible dust particles on his red suit and pants that Jimin deemed more expensive than his life.

“I’m sorry again.” Jimin bowed down in apology before turning on his heels to continue walking to the elevator. It was alright, really, if he just did not catch the sharp and harsh words muttered by Mr. Red.

“I get that his eyes are small, but he can’t be too blind. Even blind people won’t run into me that easily.”

He could not believe his ears. Did Jimin just hear the man putting all the blame on him? And not just that – he flat out insulted Jimin.

Unfortunately, though, Jimin was never one to stay quiet at times like this.

“E-Excuse me? What did you say?” Jimin asked, turning to face the man again.

Mr. Red scoffed, riling Jimin up more. He really did not care if the man was filthy rich. He was raised well by his parents, so he was not going to let anyone step on him like that.

“I said,” the man started, taking on a smugger pose. “that you can’t be too blind to bump into me.”

“Ah, the nerve…” Jimin mumbled to himself. “Yah! Are you seriously blaming me on what happened? It was an accident, okay? We both did not see each other.”

“If you were careful enough, you wouldn’t have collided with me. But you weren’t only blind, you’re also careless… Ahh… I wonder what a person like you is doing here.”

Oh.

“I could say the same thing to you.”

“I can’t be bothered. I’m too busy I don’t even understand why I’m letting you waste my time.”

Jimin sighed. He always wondered how rich people live. If it was like how this man did, then he would rather live a simple life.

The brat was rude.

“Listen here, Mr. Red.” Jimin started, getting really worked up. “I don’t know how your parents raised you. It was an accident, and the least you could do was accept my sincere apology a while ago and just shut that insolent mouth of yours. Now I don’t care how much money you have in your bank account, I am not afraid of you. And if anything, you should be scared one here, because that attitude of yours would make you end up alone.”

The flash of a scandalized look on the rude man’s previously stoic face was reward enough for Jimin. “Now, I won’t waste any more of your time, Mr. Menstruation Suit – ”

The designer’s words were cut off by the sound of a chuckle, making everyone glare at the offending man who was apparently one of the men accompanying Jimin’s current adversary. Seeing it as an opportunity to escape the situation, he quickly turned again and headed straight into the elevator. He smiled at the loud “yah!” that echoed along the hallway, satisfied.

 

 

“Yah! Y-You good for nothing! C-Come back here and fight me!” The man shouted, trying to catch up to Jimin’s disappearing figure, but one of his companions reminded him of how much time they have left before his appointment.

“R-Right.” He answered, clearing his throat and straightening himself again. “Let’s go. I have way more important things to deal with.”

Their group then continued walking to the conference room of the first floor as if nothing happened. Mr. Red, as Jimin called him, could feel the looks on him, but he had gotten quite used to it by now. He knew that attention came with money and fame.

Fame.

He was famous, really. He had to be—he had been recognized as the youngest CEO in Korea, so there was no way he was not famous. But if he was famous, how come the man who bumped into him did not recognize him?

He internally groaned. It was not the right time to think about things like that.

When he reached the doors of the conference room, he stopped, and took a deep breath. He lifted his head up and put on his business face before finally opening the door.

“CEO of Wings company, Jeon Jungkook.” The person on the podium announced the moment Jungkook entered the room, prompting everyone in the room to stand up to acknowledge him. Jungkook simply nodded at them to tell them that it was fine to sit down before he himself took his seat.

Jungkook then turned his attention to the person who was presenting. The projection read “Pink Princess Corporation”.

“Continue with the presentation.”

The “Pink Princess Corporation” presentation finished three minutes after Jungkook’s arrival, and Jungkook was the first one to raise his hand to say something about it.

“You’re heading this project, right?” Jungkook asked, to which the presenter nodded. “Do you realize how big this deal it?”

“Yes, sir. Pink Princess Corporation is a multi-billion company with dozens of connections across various fields.”

“Then how are you planning on closing this deal?” Jungkook asked. “We have competition for this deal. If we fail to close this with them, the ten-year leading spree of Wings Company could end. Did you know that? And to think that our competitor is so much closer than us to sealing a deal with Pink Princess… are you not going to say anything about it?”

The conference room fell silent after Jungkook spoke, and even the presenter was not able to answer him. The young boss rolled his eyes before leaning forward, resting his elbows on the table.

“None of you even bothered to check just how much of a loss to our company the failure of this project is. I was waiting, patiently waiting for someone to say something about it in our past meetings regarding this project. Yet no one brought this up. And even now as the CEO I still do this kind of work for the company?”

“I apologize, sir.”

“I’ll take this.” Jungkook said, causing everyone to look at him in surprise. He quickly looked at all the board members in the eye before he stood up from his seat. “From what I saw, I was wrong to entrust this deal with anyone else. Mr. Do,” Jungkook called the attention of the project head. “Send me all of the files regarding this matter. Meeting adjourned.”

Without even waiting for everyone else’s response, Jungkook walked out of the room and headed straight to his office on the top floor.

“Ms. Hirai,” Jungkook called the attention of his secretary trailing right behind him. “Remind Mr. Do to send me all the files about the Pink Princess deal later. Also, set me an appointment with the CEO of Pink Princess Corporation.”

“What kind of appointment, sir?”

“A casual dinner.” Jungkook answered. “I need to get to know Kim Seokjin, befriend him, if possible. I’m gonna have to work on this deal myself.”

“Okay, sir.” The secretary answered. “But sir,” She trailed on, catching Jungkook’s attention. “Don’t stress yourself out too much, okay? You need to be healthy to close this deal.”

Jungkook smiled at the woman’s words, stopping in his tracks to face her.

“Thanks, Momo.”

 

 

“Good morning.” Jimin bowed as he greeted the people inside the interview room once he entered. When he looked up, he was a bit surprised to see only two people, one of them being Yoongi, even. The last time he had a job interview, five people interrogated him.

“Good morning, Mr. Park. Please take a seat.” The tall man beside Yoongi said while sorting some papers on the table in front of him. Some of the papers managed to fly out of his grasp, so he had to awkwardly reach for them while still on his seat.

It has nothing to do with Jimin’s lack of stature compared to him, but the applicant was a bit intimidated.

So he looked away from him and let his gaze wander to Yoongi, who gave him a small, encouraging smile. The pale male who seemed paler due to the black long sleeves he was wearing reached out to Jimin to get his portfolio and résumé.

“Introduce yourself.”

Jimin cleared his throat and his work mode before speaking. “Good morning, I am Park Jimin, 26, from Busan, an event designer.”

Despite the nervousness he was feeling, Jimin kept a small smile on his face even as he watched the taller interviewer scan his unimpressive CV. His heart almost jumped out of his chest when the deep voice asked his dreaded question.

“Work experience.”

“I have handled some events back when I was still studying in university, events such as dormitory dinners. I also have successfully headed one project in my previous job.” Jimin finished, keeping his smile. Silence floated in the room for a few moments before the scary man spoke again.

“Is that all?”

Jimin swallowed hard before nodding. “Yes, sir.”

The interviewer nodded as he continued reading Jimin’s documents. The nervous applicant took the opportunity to send a hopeless look to Yoongi, who just raised a thumb at him. Jimin did not understand how his friend could think positively of his situation.

“Family.”

“I-I’m sorry?”

“Family background. Tell us about your family.”

“Oh… uhmm…” Jimin started. “I have a mother and a father, and I am their only child. We live a simple life in Busan… my father is a taxi driver while my mother is a house wife. Life was tough, and we could not afford luxuries, but it was enough. Recently, though, my mother was diagnosed with high blood pressure, so our finances suffered more than it already does.”

“I see. I’m sorry about your mother.”

“Thank you.”

“How about relationships?” Yoongi suddenly asked. Jimin raised a brow at the older, not recalling that his previous job interview asked about his love life. But since the taller beside Yoongi did not seem to mind the question, maybe it really was part of the interview in the company.

“Single, sir.” Jimin confidently answered, and he could not stop a slight smirk from gracing his features.

“Past relationships. Were you always single?”

“No, sir.”

“How would you feel if you are forced to work closely with your ex… partner?” Yoongi continued asking, his smile becoming increasingly smug. Jimin internally laughed at his ex-boyfriend’s question before easily answering it.

“I’m completely fine with it, sir. I don’t let personal life affect my work.”

“I see, I see.” Yoongi nodded. “How about having an affair with an officemate? How will that affect your performance?”

“Like what I said, sir, it won’t. Personal life is separate from work. I won’t jeopardize the company’s performance just because of my own issues.”

Yoongi let out a faint chuckle, throwing his head back before nodding again in understanding. He and his seatmate then stood up from their chairs and motioned for Jimin to come closer.

“Look here, Mr. Park.” The taller said once Jimin was right in front of him. “I have to be honest with you this early. You lack work experience. Under normal circumstances, we would not hire you. But we will, in trust Mr. Min’s recommendation. We are giving you a chance. Don’t let him, nor the company down.”

The interviewer’s words stung Jimin a lot that he really wanted to cry. But he knew he could not, not when he just told them of his professionalism. So with slightly trembling hands, Jimin shook both of the hands extended towards him when they congratulated him for entering the company, and thanked them before being ushered outside by Yoongi.

“Hyung…”

“Shhhh… you did well, Jimin, you really did.” Yoongi shushed the younger who let his guard down right when the two stepped out of the interview room. “I was pretty amazed at how well you handled it.”

“I’m scared, hyung.” Jimin finally admitted, looking down on the tiled floor at he let Yoongi lead the way. “It just isn’t my non-existent reputation that is on the line here. Also yours.”

“And I know you won’t let me down, Jimin. I believe that much in you.” The elder said. “Now, do you want to have some snacks with me? My treat.”

“Okay.”

The two made their way out of the company building and went to the nearby café. Since Jimin was still a bit shocked from his interview, Yoongi ordered drinks for the two of them while he let Jimin wait for him on a free spot.

When the elder came back with their food, Jimin cleared his throat and took a deep breath.

“Thanks again, hyung. You really helped me a lot.”

“Nah… don’t mention it.” Yoongi coolly answered, taking a sip of his espresso. “We’re friends after all. And friends help each other. Now listen carefully, okay? I will orient you just a bit.”

“Okay.”

“The tall guy that interviewed you earlier is Kim Namjoon, the CEO’s brother. He does not really hold any office in the company, but he acts as the CEO’s adviser. It was actually supposed to be the CEO to interview you with me, and god, that man is a handful. So be thankful the CEO had an appointment.”

“I see… he’s intimidating, really.” Jimin said. “And his deep voice did not help in making me more at ease back there.”

“Yeah… he really looks intimidating, doesn’t he? Well… don’t be deceived by his looks. He’s a huge dork, I tell you that much.”

“Really?” Jimin asked. “Wow… I couldn’t imagine him being… not-intimidating.”

“Oh don’t be afraid of him. However, his brother, the CEO, Jeon Jungkook, is a whole different story altogether.”

The younger raised a brow at his hyung’s words. He did not just bash his own boss, did he?

“What do you mean?”

“The boy’s a brat. Maybe his achievements got into him. Actually, he’s recognized as the youngest CEO in Korea, at the age of 24.”

“What?!” Jimin exclaimed, surprised. “24?!”

“I know right!” Yoongi answered. “He’s so good that his father decided to step down early to rest and gave the position to him.”

“But… isn’t Kim Namjoon older? Why did he give it to the younger son?”

“Namjoon was not interested in the corporate world. And his father respected that.”

Jimin hummed in understanding. He marveled at how easy and amazing life was to some people. But he was also saddened by the fact that some people are already out there, doing stuff, making their mark on the world, while he was still the same old Jimin. Still struggling. Still lost.

“So, as I was saying. Try your best to not get involved in Jeon Jungkook’s matters. No one knows why, but the young boy is so harsh. Yeah, he’s really, really good in doing his job, but the brat’s got literally zero people skills.” Yoongi continued warning the younger.

“I understand, hyung.”