[9]

Habit

I'm sorry for not updating sooner, guys! Here's the chapter. I just finished typing it, so really, I just finished it like a minute ago. It's also really long, and I haven't been in my best shape lately, so finished it was a chore.
 

I hope you guys ike it! :) 


9

Jimin led Jungkook inside the building with the younger’s hand in his own, half running and half walking. Just past the door was the main lobby, which was already filled with guests and participants to the talk when Seokjin invited the two.

The young CEO expected the event to have many participants, but he still was not prepared for just how many the actual attendees were. The lobby was practically teeming with people, mostly men holding hands with their partners. There were also females, but their numbers just pale compared to the sheer number of the male couples.

The whole situation made Jungkook feel uncomfortable.

He was suddenly hyper aware of his surroundings, not used to being so many gay people around him. He was fine with Namjoon, and was of couse initially uncomfortable with Seokjin, but right now, he could not help but visibly shudder.

“Hey, Kookie, are you okay?” Jimin’s voice snapped Jungkook out of his thoughts, making him spare their still linked hands a glance. He was still not happy with the way the older was addressing him, but it was all part of the act.

As an answer, Jungkook just shook his head at the older.

“Jungkook!” A voice that managed to stand out from the noise of the crowd made both of them snap their heads to the direction of the front desk. The instant the younger realized who it was, a smile automatically appeared on his lips.

“Hyung!” Jungkook answered, waving his hand up high in the air to greet the older. He then bent a little bit lower to whisper to Jimin’s ears. “He’s Kim Seokjin.”

“Oh. Okay.” Jimin nodded in understanding. He then gave the approaching tall male a smile which faltered when he realized that it was not the first time that he saw the ‘victim’.

“Oh, is this Park Jimin?” Seokjin asked, pointing to the smallest of the three. Both Jungkook and Jimin gave the older nods of confirmation. “Oh my god, aren’t you—”

“Yeah, I was that person.” Jimin admitted, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. “Sorry again for that.”

“No, no! It’s fine!” Seokjin reassured the younger. He then turned to Jungkook and explained what was going on, that he actually met Jungkook’s ‘boyfriend’ the day before when he was on his way to the comfort room when he was meeting Jungkook.

“Oh, so you were the person he was meeting then?” Jimin mused, smiling. “Kookie told me that he’s going out to meet someone in the café yesterday.”

“Yes, that was me.” Seokjin answered. “And really? ‘Kookie’? That’s so cute!” He cooed, softly clapping his hands. “Just like the two of you! You two look cute together!”

“Thanks!” Jimin answered, grinning. Jungkook, on the other hand, felt disgusted at the thought of being ‘cute’ with the company newbie he had always hated right from the start.

“Ooohh… Is Jeon Jungkook shy?” Seokjin teased Jungkook upon the seeing the younger looking down on the floor in embarrassment, interpreting his lack of response as being abashed. It was the second time he was seeing the legendary Jeon Jungkook shy, and both instances involved them talking about relationships. Seokjin thought it was adorable—how the reserved, well-put-together, and confident young CEO become almost child-like in embarrassment when they were talking about their love lives.

“Yeah, he’s still uncomfortable talking about romantic stuff.” Jimin said to Seokjin, letting out a soft chuckle afterwards.

“I see, I see.” Seokjin answered. “Oh, then you guys should come inside and have a seat! The talk is about to start, and I want you guys to get the best seats at the front.”

“Thank you.”

“Yeah, thanks, hyung.” Jungkook added, waving the older goodbye as Seokjin left them in favor of preparing for the talk. Once he was gone, Jimin took a look at his companion and noted that Jungkook still looked stiff.

Giving him a reassuring smile that said it would be fine, Jimin led the two of them inside the venue and as they walked to the front seats, the older could not help but think that it was not as bad as he thought it would be. It was refreshing—he was in a new place, seeing a new side of the Jeon Jungkook he had learned to hate since the first time they met.

Jimin realized that after all, Jungkook was still human. He was not as invincible as he wanted others to see him. And it made the newbie hate his boss less.

However, Jimin still could not forget the fact that it was Jungkook who staged the whole fake boyfriend act. He could not forget that he was hand in hand with the same Jeon Jungkook that called him a gold digger a few days ago, and that he was the same Jeon Jungkook who apparently had no sense of right or wrong, only a sense of profitable or not.

What made the whole ordeal a lot more difficult was that Jimin could see that Kim Seokjin was very much different from Jungkook, or any other business man for that matter. Kim Seokjin was a good man—a good man that he was deceiving.

Jimin internally cursed as he once again felt guilt building up inside him. And just like how he repelled it every time it hit him, the designer thought of his struggling parents back in Busan.

I’m sorry, Kim Seokjin-ssi. Jimin thought. I’m so sorry.

“Uhm, hyung,” Jimin was brought back to reality when he heard Jungkook calling his name, prompting him to look at the younger, who just motioned with his gaze towards their still linked hands.

“Oh, sorry.” Jimin replied coolly as he gently let go of the other’s hand, preferring not to violently yank his arm away, conscious that Seokjin might still be seeing them.

On the other hand, Jungkook used his newly-freed hand to fish out his phone out from his pocket to check the time.

09:58 AM

“Almost time.” Jungkook mumbled. He then looked around them and saw that the venue was already getting filled with people, all of them apparently audience. Most of them were in pairs, holding each other’s hands as they wandered the place, looking for a good spot to sit on.

Jungkook was not expecting that many people to come. The last time he checked, homouality was not so widespread and accepted in Korea.

The young man’s senses suddenly perked up when he felt someone taking a seat on the chair beside his. When he turned around to face him, Jungkook saw that it was another audience, a man who was probably already in his thirties. Jungkook felt discomfort bubble in him.

Said man abruptly turned his attention to Jungkook, and smiled. It scared the younger, really, but since he was in a public place, he had to control his urge to punch the man and just smiled at him in return, his cheeks hurting from the fakeness of it all.

“Did you come with someone?” The man suddenly asked Jungkook, making him jump slightly in his seat. Too shocked and tongue-tied to respond with words, Jungkook just motioned to Jimin as an answer.

The sound of the conversation piqued the interest of the said companion, making him turn his head to Jungkook’s direction. He noticed the discomfort in the younger’s face, confusing him as to what was making Jungkook so uneasy, before he saw the other person on his far side.

Ah… he’s talking to Jungkook. Jimin thought, mentally laughing at the awkward younger before addressing the stranger.

“Hello, sir.” Jimin said, greeting the older male with grace. Jimin never really had too much trouble with socializing in public events, so he was quite used to casual greetings with strangers.

“Hello there, young one.” The man greeted him back. “Are you this guy’s…”

“Boyfriend, sir.” Jimin continued, smiling. The other smiled back at him before leaning back a little bit to take a look at both Jungkook and Jimin, before his face erupted into a full blown grin.

“You two look great together!” He said, patting Jungkook’s back and bowing slightly at Jimin before turning his attention to his other side which was occupied by his own partner.

Once the interaction was over, Jimin just gave Jungkook a weird look before he once again let his eyes wander around the place.

The younger, on the other hand, was still a bit shaken by the event. He took a couple of deep breathes to stabilize himself before he mentally berated himself for being an awkward man, when he and Jimin were together in a secure, public place.

You have nothing to be scared about, Jeon. Get it together! He said to himself. Once he was feeling better, he took a look at Jimin, who was still busy inspecting the venue. In contrast to himself, Jungkook thought that Jimin seemed a lot more confident and comfortable.

And the way he handled every situation that they have faced in the past few minutes that they have spent in the place… it was as if Jimin was not even acting.

Jungkook smiled to himself, deciding that he had made the right call when he approached Park Jimin for help. He should remember to give the guy a bonus for a job well done for the day.

Jungkook’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the even starting. According to the program, Seokjin was the last of the three speakers for the event, with his time being right after lunch break.

After the introductions and what-nots that not even Jungkook nor Jimin paid much attention to, the first speaker began his speech. He was someone who went by the name Yoon Jeonghan, and everyone could not help but be in awe of the man’s gorgeousness. Well, everyone except for Jungkook, who just noted how long the man’s hair was for a male. He even compared it to that of actual girls, and quickly decided that even women would envy the guy for his hair.

Jeonghan’s talk was about the struggles that gays faced because of their orientation—a sensitive and timely topic. For all the subject’s seriousness, the speaker was able to add comedy to his stories of himself growing up as someone straight during his childhood. He laughed about how he even played basketball back when he was a child, and even bragged about the unending love letters he received from girls in their school.

However, the talk took a different turn when Jeonghan started talking about the first time he received a love letter from a guy. He shared that it shocked him so much at first, and even thought that it was a dare or a prank of some sort. When he learned that it was real, and actually met the guy who sent him the letter, he was terrified.

“But it was a different kind of terrified.” Jeonghan said, looking at nothing in particular. “I was not terrified because I was disgusted at the… unconventional affection. In fact, it was the complete opposite. I was scared, because instead of feeling wrong, it actually felt right.”

And that was when he started questioning his uality, he said. And when he was finally able to accept that he was gay, thanks to the guy who made him realize it, he could not stop himself from feeling happy. Like he was able to breathe for the first time.

“I was happy, we were happy.” Jeonghan recalled. “But apparently, everyone else around me wasn’t. When I finally admitted to my friends that I was gay, the bullying started.”

Jeonghan then proceeded to telling tales about his injuries due to the bullying he experienced at such a young age, the physical, mental, and emotional trauma the event had caused in him. He got emotional when he mentioned that it was alright to him, because he was together with the love of his life, and his family.

However, it all changed when the news reached his own parents. Instead of supporting him like what he thought they would do, his own family alienated—disowned him.

When Jeonghan began recalling what happened to him when his family forced him to leave home for being, according to them, “nature’s abomination”, Jimin could not help but feel tears forming in his eyes. Jeonghan’s story, while altogether different, was relatable for him.

Because just like the speaker, Jimin was also judged by his family when he came out to them about being gay. He was just lucky that he decided to confide to them first before he did in his school. Based on his parents’—who were supposed to support him and accept him for who he was—reaction, the world really was not kind to people like them.

It helped Jimin decide to keep his uality hidden from everyone else, except for Yoongi, who he eventually met and loved.

“Yah, Jimin, are you alright?” Jungkook’s voice suddenly pulled Jimin out of his painful recall, making the latter look at the former with glossy eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.” Jimin said in reply, nodding his head and giving the younger a smile. “Thanks.”

“For what?”

“Nothing…” Jimin continued, opting to put his attention back at the speaker in front. “Just… thanks.”

Jungkook just let himself wonder at the older beside him. He felt saddened at the sight of the usually either smiling or scowling man being vulnerable, so he just felt like asking if Jimin was alright. After all, even though they were not exactly friends, Jimin was still someone he was not a stranger to.

When Jeonghan ended his speech, Jimin was among those who clapped hard and with fervor for him. The event went straight to the next speaker, who spoke about gay rights in Korea.

In contrast to how relatable the first one was, the second one was, in Jimin’s opinion, boring. Maybe it was because there was less anecdotes, or the speaker himself was boring. Also, there were more technical terms that Jimin could not understand in the second part.

Jungkook, on the other hand, was also bored by the speaker. But he tried his best to not show it, because his status as a CEO have taught him how to listen despite how boring the person speaking in front was, or at least how to look as if he was listening.

The older looked around him to gauge the reaction of the audience, and saw that while most of the audience also looked bored, some of them also looked actually interested, nodding to the speaker’s words, as if they could understand the terms.

Lunch break came after the second speaker. It took place in another room in the building—a large hall dedicated for meals for social events. As Jimin and Jungkook traveled from the seminar hall to the mess hall, the latter could not help but wonder why they were going to eat inside the event when he did not remember paying for anything.

“I already paid for this.” Jungkook answered him when the older had the courage to ask.

Numerous tables were arranged inside the hall, with each table surrounded by eight chairs. A stage was set up on one end, where a live band was already getting ready for the performance during the meal. The pair was the first to arrive at their assigned table, and soon after they settled, they were approached by the remaining speaker, the one they were actually waiting for.

“How was it so far?” Seokjin asked as he placed each of his hands on the opposite shoulders of the two. Jimin and Jungkook simultaneously looked the older to see him smiling.

“It was great.” Jungkook replied, smiling back. “Very interesting topics.”

“Though the second one was pretty boring.” Jimin added, making the three of them laugh. “The first one was really, really relatable though.”

“Yeah, I even saw you tearing up towards the end.” The oldest of the three commented, pulling an embarrassed chuckle from Jimin.

“I’m sorry, I just got carried away.”

“No problem, it’s really fine.” Seokjin answered, patting the younger’s shoulder. “I’m next though, so you guys should listen well, okay?”

“Yes, hyung.” Jungkook answered with a nod. Seokjin then bid the other two goodbye before he left to eat alongside the other two speakers.

Shortly after the conversation, three more couples arrived at the table where Jungkook and Jimin were assigned. Two were male couples, and the other pair was a lesbian couple. It appalled the younger to see the couples up close, especially since they were not exactly gay-looking. In fact, they were quite attractive.

What a waste of genes. Jungkook thought to himself.

Jungkook was too busy making himself a little bit more comfortable that he did not notice the other seven already getting talkative with each other as they waited for the server to give them their meal. They were just talking about the usual things that ‘normal’ people talk about, so why was Jungkook still unable to join?

“Hey, aren’t you the famous CEO?” One of their female companions noted, causing the whole table to put their focus on Jungkook. Their stares made the already-agitated male start to sweat buckets.

“Oh, Jeon… Jeon… Jeon Jungkook? The young CEO?” One of the males asked, recalling a name he had already heard before.

“Oh, uhmm… I…” Jungkook stammered, not really knowing how to respond to their questions. His brain had already stopped working the moment the female pointed it out. He was starting to panic, wracking his brain for anything, just anything, to say to the other people who were still looking expectantly at him.

“Kookie.” A soft voice suddenly pulled Jungkook out of his muddled up thoughts. He looked to his side to see Jimin looking at him with concern, probably having noticed his dilemma. It did calm him down enough to give a good enough response to the question aimed at him.

“Ah, sorry about that…” Jungkook scratched the back of his head shyly. “Yeah, I’m that Jungkook. Nice to meet you all.”

“Oh, this is awesome!” Another male, the partner of the one who previously mentioned Jungkook’s name, cheered.

“Yeah, it’s pretty awesome. That you’re not afraid to go out with your boyfriend despite your reputation on the line.”

“Thank you.”

“Actually he’s still pretty shy about it, since I’m his first serious relationship.” Jimin added, causing Jungkook to look at the older in shock. “He’s pretty inexperienced.”

“Oh, oh, so you are more experienced than him?” The other female asked.

“Well, yeah, I also had a boyfriend with whom I broke up with a few months before I met Kookie.” The designer answered, grinning.

He’s probably talking about Min Yoongi. Jungkook thought to himself. He was getting annoyed by the way Jimin was portraying him as if he was a child. While it was true that he never had a serious relationship before, he was still not ‘inexperienced’. He had watched a lot of dramas and read a lot of stories in the past. Those should count.

“I’m two years older than him, so I should have more experience.” Jimin added.

“Yah! Just because y—”

“Just shut up and eat.” Jimin cut him off by placing a finger on his protesting mouth, causing the whole table to erupt into a loud laughter as the servers started placing plates full of food on their table.

They then started eating, only stopping to engage in small talks with each other. The meal was surprisingly satisfying for Jimin, since he was not used to sumptuous meals in seminars. The ones he had attended in the past were always lacking either in quality or quantity, but today’s was great.

Jungkook probably paid a fortune for this. Jimin mused.

When lunch ended an hour later, everyone returned to the seminar hall and reoccupied their previous seats in preparation for the last speaker, who was Kim Seokjin. And as the introductory speaker gave the floor to the pretty man, everyone could not help but feel in awe.

“So, ironically, as a single person, I will talk about relationships.” Seokjin joked, causing the whole hall to laugh. “But just because I am single now doesn’t mean I did not have my fair share of hurts and experiences. And if anything, I think the fact that I am single today makes me even more qualified for this. And you’re about to know why.”

He then proceeded to sharing his experiences with his past relationships, starting from his first love, up until the last boyfriend he only described as a ‘pretentious jerk’ who ‘secretly craved but was too manly to admit it”.

Seokjin’s speech was mostly comedic, effectively gaining and keeping the attention of the audience who were supposedly already sleepy because they just ate, but are surprisingly attentive and alive, too enamored to even feel tired.

However, just like the first speaker, Seokjin suddenly shifted his tone into a sadder, darker one.

“But despite having met—and slept with—all those different men, I knew what my heart really wants.” He continued, pausing to take deep breaths right after. “I just couldn’t forget him. My first love. And after everything, even after more than a decade of not knowing anything about him. I still love him. I still wonder at times—what if we did not break up at that time?” Seokjin smiled, but everyone could see the pain in his eyes.

His expression was filled with longing.

“After all this years, I still couldn’t stop myself from imagining that we were still together happily.” The speaker added.

“I still could not stop worrying and asking how he’s doing now.”

“I still could not stop replaying our moments together in my mind.”

“And I still love him.” Seokjin ended, bringing out his handkerchief to wipe at the lone tear that managed to escape his eyes.

Teary eyed, Jungkook shifted his gaze from Kim Seokjin to look at the people around him. Most of them were already wiping their cheeks with handkerchiefs, and some were being comforted by their partners. He then took a look at Jimin seated beside him, and saw that he older had his face buried in the palm of his hands which were clutching a handkerchief.

This time, Jungkook did not stop himself from giving the shorter a comforting pat on his back.

Such a cry baby. Jungkook chuckled in his mind.

“Jungkook-ah, Jimin-ah.” The two snapped their heads up upon hearing their names being called. Not just called—announced, even, since it was Seokjin himself who called them.

“Could you guys please come in front and share your story?” He asked, smiling. Jimin looked at Jungkook in surprise, nervousness suddenly coursing into his veins again. The younger just gave Jimin a nod to signal that they should do it before he stood up, pulling the older up from his seat and leading the way to the stage.

Once they were up in front, Jimin looked at the audience before looking away once again, not comfortable because of the fact that everyone’s attention was on him.

Oh my god… My makeup should be gone by now because of all the crying I just did. Jimin thought to himself, suddenly feeling insecure.

“So… uhm… hi.” Jungkook said into the microphone.

“These two are my friends, and I invited them here. They did not know I would make them talk about their relationship, so this can be interesting.” Seokjin said to the audience, introducing the two other people on the stage with him. The then turned his attention to them and asked, “So, what’s your story as a couple.”

“Oh, uhm, it started like this.” Jungkook blabbered. He was about to tell their scripted story when for whatever reason, he just could not remember anything. He nervously glanced at Jimin for help, causing the older to sigh at him before grabbing the microphone from his hands.

“Sorry about Kookie here, he’s really shy about relationship stuff.” Jimin said, pulling out chuckles from the waiting audience. “And also, sorry about my… appearance here. My makeup was smudged when I cried because of the speeches.”

“Oh, don’t worry, you still look great.” Seokjin said into the microphone, causing Jimin to feel his cheeks warm up.

“Yeah, you still look fine.” Jungkook added. It was not picked up by the microphone, so it was just Jimin who heard it. It inevitably made the older smile.

“Thanks.” Jimin said to the younger, before he turned his attention to the audience again. “So… we started two years ago, with me having broken up with my first boyfriend months before that. Kookie and I met in a café one Friday afternoon when it was filled and there were no free tables. I was there first, and Jungkookie here asked to join me. Maybe it was love at first sight for him.”

“It was not!” Jungkook shrieked, trying to steal the mic from the older. “I was just being—”

“Shhh, shhh, Jungkookie, I know you love me and all, just leave this to me.” Jimin chuckled, covering the younger’s mouth with his free hand and pushing him away. The audience let out a collective coo at their cuteness.

“Anyway, things started happening since then. It was as if the universe was conspiring or something. There came a time when we would bump into each other in the streets. Sometimes, we meet in the most unexpected settings, like in fast food restaurants. And then, eventually, we found out that the company where I was working was owned by his father.”

“Oh, that’s nice!” Seokjin butted in, smiling. However, Jimin could see the tension in the older’s smile. “And then?”

“Yeah… things went from there.” Jimin said, even adding nods to give a little more convincing powers to his story. “We eventually started dating. I still remember our first date, actually. It was in an amusement park.”

“It was his choice!” Jungkook suddenly spoke up, having acquired a microphone from the staff. He was a little bit scared that Jimin would once again revise the script and make him look more childish than he was already making him look like.

“Huh?”

“He’s older and all, but he’s a child at heart, so he dragged me into the amusement park!” Jungkook continued frantically. “I actually had to drag him out of the place when the time for it to close came. Ahhh… such a child.”

“What?! You’re exaggerating things!”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are!” Jimin countered, exasperated at the younger. “So, yeah, there it was. Our not-so-romantic love story.” He ended, making the crowd clap at them for sharing. The two of them bowed at the audience before turning their attention to Seokjin, who was also smiling.

But it was different. It seemed forced.

“Y-You may take your seats again. Thank you.” Seokjin said to the two as he reclaimed his position at the center of the stage. Once he was alone in front again, he was finally not able to hold back and started sobbing.

Both Jimin and Jungkook were surprised by the older’s reaction to their story. Their tale was not really something special—in fact, it was very cliché, as Jimin had pointed out. But for some reason, it made the speaker cry.

“I-I’m sorry.” Seokjin apologized through the tears wracking his body. “I-It was a sweet story, really. So cute.” He continued. “B-But…believe it or not… it’s the same as m-my story with my… first love.”

The crowd fell silent after the speaker’s confession. They could only watch with heavy hearts as Seokjin struggled to continue speak.

“As in… it’s exactly the same…” The broad-shouldered man continued when he managed to stabilize himself. The tears were still flowing, but at least he could already speak. “Wow… I did not expect that. We also first met in a filled café on a Friday, and had our first date in an amusement park where we spent the whole day. Just… wow.”

Confused, Jimin looked at Jungkook, hoping for answers on whether the latter knew about Kim Seokjin’s love story and was using it to gain more leverage. Jungkook only shrugged his shoulders at him.

“It’s the same… but the only difference is that,” Seokjin continued, gazing at the two who were still confused by the turn of events. “Is that you guys are happy together today, while I’m here, alone and single.” He then let out an embarrassed laugh, which lightened up the very heavy atmosphere that the moment caused.

“Yes, I’m single.” Seokjin continued, wiping away the last tears that rolled down his cheeks. “Yes, I’m alone, but that does not mean I’m lonely. And after all those boyfriends, I realized, I don’t need a man, at least for now. Because I already know who my heart really wants. And while we will never know if we would ever meet again, all I can do now is wait.

“Wait for him to come back to me, wait for our paths to cross again. And along the way, I should keep on improving myself, so when the time comes—when our time finally comes—I can give the best of me to him, to my first love.

“But if that time doesn’t come in this life, it’s okay. I can wait longer than a lifetime, if it means in the end, I will be with him.”

Seokjin finished his speech, thanked the audience, and bowed down as the participants to the seminar gave him a big hand and stood up from their seats—even Jungkook and Jimin were on their feet. The whole speech was heart-felt, it was as if Seokjin was actually letting everyone into his own life. It was admirable of him, and as the event ended, Jimin could not help but feel like a criminal.

 

 

The hall was gradually deserted by the participants as everyone started leaving the place, but the two just stayed on their seats, waiting for the person that invited them into the event. It was getting quieter as the seconds passed, and Jimin was not one to enjoy himself in such a setting.

After a moment of thinking what to talk to Jungkook about, Jimin opened his mouth to speak. “So… what now?” He asked.

“We wait for Jin-hyung.” Jungkook answered. “By the way, you did great today. Like… really great.”

“Oh, thanks.” Jimin responded. He actually wanted to conversation to keep going a little bit longer, but he was out of words. It was as if his thoughts hit a solid wall in a long alley which turned out to be a dead end.

And just like how it had been since he arrived at the venue, Jungkook’s brain was struggling with coming up with something to say.

It getting more and more unbearable as the silence stretched on with none of them knowing what more to say, and fortunately, they did not have to act on it.

“Hello, guys!” Seokjin greeted the two, oblivious to the atmosphere that the two had unknowingly made for themselves.

“Hi, hyung!” Jungkook enthusiastically answered, standing up from his seat. “That was awesome!”

“Yeah, hyung, you were great.” Jimin added. “I don’t even know if we’re close enough for me to call you hyung but—”

“Don’t worry, Jimin, it’s fine.” The older answered with a smile. “I was gonna ask you to do it anyway if ever you addressed me formally again. And by the way, I saw you crying a while ago again! Jungkook,” Seokjin turned his attention to the said male. “Is Jimin really this much of a cry baby?”

“Well, yeah… sort of.” Jungkook answered, not really knowing for sure. But based on what he had seen, it really was the case.

“No I’m not!” Jimin protested. “Jin-hyung, don’t listen to him. If anything, he’s the baby here.”

“What?”

“It’s true!” The shortest of the three countered. “It’s not me who gets shy all the time whenever strangers approach me. And I don’t have bunny teeth.”

“Yah, you—”

“Okay stop it, children.” Seokjin chuckled, silencing the two bickering younger men. He let out another amused laugh when he saw the older of the two stick out a tongue at the younger.

The oldest sighed. “I don’t get how you guys managed to be in love when you seem to be bickering all the time.”

The other two froze, and sent each other panicked looks. Jungkook just looked away from the seen, not trusting his expressions at the moment. When the younger did this, Jimin could not help but feel a little bit mad at him for leaving all the work to the older.

“Well… yeah.” Jimin answered, scratching the back of his neck. “It’s surprising, when you think about it.”

Seokjin nodded the younger’s statement. “Yeah, but sometimes, those little things could actually be the key to long-lasting relationships.” He then sighed again, staring off at the distance. Jimin could see the slight pain in the taller’s eyes, and while even though he did not really know Seokiin, he felt like he understood what the longing gaze meant.

He was missing his first love.

“Hyung,” The short man said softly, snapping Seokjin back to their place. “You did well.”

Said man turned his attention to Jimin, his gaze soft and appreciative. “Thanks, Jimin.”

“Yeah, that was great… hyung.” Jungkook added, eyes on the floor. He just wanted to say something, because he felt left out by the two. He knew how delicate the moment was, but he was not used to dealing with such occasions.

“Aww, thanks, Jungkook.” Seokjin that.

The three then started heading for the outside, since the staff was already about to pack up. They shared small talks as they trudged the lobby of the building. Once they were out, the two younger males bid their goodbyes to the elder, while Seokjin thanked the two for attending the event.

Jungkook and Jimin then settled in the former’s car, and started travelling back to their office. Jimin let out a tired sigh as he closed his eyes and relaxed into his seat, exhausted by the day.

Maybe it’s my body punishing me for lying too much today. He thought.

“Yah, hyung.” Jungkook called his attention, making the older open one of his eyes to see him. “You did really great today.”

“You, too, actually.” Jimin retorted, smiling. “Though you were really awkward, you still didn’t slip. That’s good enough.”

“Cut me some slack, okay? It’s my first time doing… that.”

“Yeah, yeah, Kook, whatever.”

“I’ll beat you next time!” Jungkook exclaimed, challenging the older. “I’ll show you how it’s really done.”

“Nah, you can’t beat me.” Jimin countered. “I’m too good for this.”

“Just wait and—wait a sec.” Jungkook was about to respond when his phone suddenly started ringing in his pocket, making him fumble a bit, trying to press the button on the dashboard to start the call.

“Hello?”

“Sir.” Momo’s voice sounded through the car speaker, making Jimin feel a bit awkward, since he was not used to hearing other’s people’s phone conversations.

“Yes?”

“The marketing department head wants to talk with you today, sir. Would you be able to make it?”

Jungkook raised his brow at no one. “Today? Just how urgent is it that he wants to talk about it today?” Jungkook asked, using his default cold, authoritative tone.

“He said it’s urgent, sir.” Momo answered. “What do I tell him?”

“Tell him to wait.” The CEO answered. “If he wants to talk today, he’ll have to wait an hour or so. I’m still on the road back to the office.”

“Okay, sir, thank you.”

And just like that, the call ended. Silence once again floated inside the car as the younger continued to drive. The conversation irked Jungkook a bit. He did not like sudden visits without appointments. He will probably have to reprimand the marketing head later.

“Uhm… Are you okay… Kook?” Jimin asked, unsure of how to approach the younger when he could see his knuckles turning white from gripping the wheel too tightly.

“Yeah, I’m fine, Park. Just…” Jungkook answered, motioning with his other hand towards Jimin instead of finishing his sentence. The tone he used took Jimin by surprise. Just a while ago, they were bickering like they were fine.

Deciding that Jungkook probably was not in the best mood—though he really did not understand why—Jimin just shut his mouth up and backed off.

“Sorry… sir.” Jimin said, relaxing against the seat again and ignoring the disappointment bubbling up inside him. Just when he thought they were getting better. Jimin forget that he was actually dealing with Jeon Jungkook, the young CEO, Mr. Menstruation Suit who could not even accept his apology over something that was not even his fault.

With that thought in mind, Jimin unknowingly fell asleep in the passenger seat of Jungkook’s car.

 

 

When Jimin woke up, they were already entering the parking lot of their company building. Without speaking a word to each other, the two made their way out of the car and into the dedicated elevator, heading straight to the younger’s office on the top floor.

Once they were in the office, Jungkook went straight to his desk and motioned for Jimin to come closer.

“Park Jimin-ssi,” Jungkook started. “Thank you for today.”

“Wow, this is new.” Jimin muttered, still a bit groggy from the nap he had along the way. “You’re kind today. I’m not used to it.” He chuckled, but when he noticed that Jungkook was not answering, he awkwardly cleared his throat and stood up straight. “It’s nothing, sir.” Jimin lied. “We had a deal. I’m just doing my end of the bargain.”

“Here, take this.” The boss then said. He then reached for an envelope in one of his desk’s drawers and held it towards the older. “As a thank you gift.”

“It’s really not necessary, sir.” Jimin refused, shaking both his head and his hands. “I was just doing my… job.”

“Aww, come on.” Jungkook insisted. “You even asked for a month’s worth of salary the last time. What changed that you don’t like money now, huh?”

The younger’s words shocked Jimin, making him physically take a step back. Not long after, his expression morphed from that of confusion to anger.

Of course, Jungkook noticed this. It took a while before the words he said registered, but when they did, the young CEO instantly regretted talking.

“Do you really think of me like that?” Jimin asked, scandalized. “Just when I thought you were changing…”

As much as he wanted to lash out at Jungkook, he knew he was not in the right place. What chance would someone like him stand against the renowned younger?

Jungkook, on the other hand, desperately wracked his brain for ways to salvage the situation. He really did not mean it that way—it was just that he did not think of his words too much before he uttered them. But even when Jimin already banged the door behind him as he left the office, Jungkook still could not think of anything.

He let out an exhausted sigh, his shoulders dropping at what just happened. Jungkook slapped his mouth with his free hand in irritation before shoving the envelope back to where he got it.

Seething in anger, Jimin made his way back to his own cubicle. His exhaustion grew with every step he took that once he reached his place, he could not even acknowledge Taehyung and opted plopping his dead weight on the chair.

The plastic structure let out a cracking sound in protest, but the drained male could not care less.

“You seem… tired.” Taehyung asked, concern laced in his tone.

“Yeah… tired.” Jimin replied. He actually wanted to say more—to complain, but he just could not. He was too tired to even turn his head to face the taller.

“Hey, Jimin.” Another voice said, prompting Taehyung to turn his head to look at the source. He found Yoongi standing just behind him, making him smile. “Are you… nope, you’re not alright.”

“I’m too tired…” Jimin groaned. “I don’t even know why, when all I did today was seat and listen.”

“Hmmm…” Yoongi mused loudly, thinking. He actually went to their department to talk to the younger about what he was talking about when they spoke through the phone earlier that day, but seeing the Jimin on the verge of falling asleep, he decided to set the thought aside and let the younger rest.

“You may want to transfer to one of the sleeping rooms, so you can properly rest.” Yoongi suggested. The designer actually wanted to reject the idea, but a bed sounded really nice. And he also wanted to help Yoongi get closer to Taehyung.

So, with even more groaning that sounded akin to a dying whale, Jimin groggily stood up from his seat and started lumbering out of the office and to the sleeping area.

“I’ll just go there later.” Yoongi said to the younger. “I still need to talk to you.”

“Yeah, I remember.” Jimin nodded before proceeding. Once he was gone, Yoongi turned his attention to the still-confused male.

“What happened to him?” Taehyung asked, tilting his head to the side. Yoongi found it too cute, but he would not admit it. Not out loud, at least.

“Not really sure, but I think he was with CEO Jeon the whole day.”

 

 

 

Jimin was woken up from his slumber by the blaring of his phone’s alarm which he had set right before he fell asleep. With his eyes closed, he started feeling the area around him for the device, knowing well that he had only put it nearby.

However, he was shocked when instead of the phone, his palms came in contact with smooth skin.

“Oh my god!” Jimin exclaimed as his eyes flew wide open. He stared at the smooth, white skin of the hand and traced it up before reaching Yoongi’s amused face.

“You look funny.” Yoongi commented before stopping the phone’s alarm and sitting on the bed next to Jimin. “You okay?”

“Yeah, still a bit tired, but better.” Jimin answered, stretching his limbs. “Did Tae go home already?”

“I guess…” Yoongi answered. “I left your cubicle when he said he would start fixing his things so he could leave. I guess he’s gone now.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Jimin.” Yoongi started. The serious tone the older used slightly confused Jimin, but he quickly caught on and conditioned himself for a serious conversation.

“What’s with you and CEO Jeon?” Yoongi asked, face dead.

“We’re just… working on a project, that’s all.”

“You’re lying.” The older answered. “Just recently you were ranting about him hating you. And now he’s working closely with you? Don’t bull me, Jimin, you know I hate it.”

The younger looked away, and sighed. He could not do it. He could not lie to Yoongi, because as much as he wanted to, he knew the older knew him probably more than he knew himself. But still, he had an agreement with Jungkook. He could not just spill the beans just because his sorry could not put up a façade.

“Look, Jimin, I know about Jeon Jungkook’s plans for Pink Princess.” Yoongi confessed, shocking Jimin. “Actually, he came to me first to ask me to pretend to be his boyfriend. I rejected it, for obvious reasons. And I know you would, too. What happened, Jimin? Why did you do it?”

Jimin looked down on the sheets, feeling small. He knew. He could feel the disappointment in his hyung’s voice. And really, he could not blame him for it, because even he was disappointed in his self.

Yoongi patiently waited for Jimin to respond, but panic bubbled in him when he saw the younger’s shoulder starting to shake.

He knew how sensitive Jimin could get. He knew should have approached him with a little more caution.

“I-I’m sorry, hyung.” Jimin sobbed, the sheets which were already starting to get wet from his tears. “I-It’s just that…I needed money a-at that time… my dad… he’s sick…”

“Then why didn’t you come to me for help?” Yoongi asked, feeling sorry for the younger. “You knew I would gladly help, right?”

“But I want to work for it, hyung!” Jimin protested. He was aware of his attitude issue, and he knew Yoongi was, too. Jimin wanted to be as tough as he could be, so as much as possible, he avoided asking people for help, opting to solve his problems alone by working on them.

He did not like asking others for help, fearing that they would look at him as a bother.

“I’d help you and your parents, Jimin.” Yoongi tenderly said, patting the younger’s head. “So just stop this, okay? I know you don’t like it either.”

“B-But…” Jimin said, shaking his head and sniffling. “I already received money from CEO Jeon. I can’t just back out.”

“I’ll pay the money.”

“No, hyung.” Jimin protested, wiping his tears with the back of his hand. “I won’t let you.”

He then looked at his hyung in the eyes, determination in his face. “At this point, I only have my honor left. I’ll keep my part of the bargain.”