[10]

Habit

Hi guys!!! First of all, sorry for taking too long to update this story!!! I haven't been in the best moods for writing lately, and I really struggled with writing this chapter for some reason.

And because of that, I really am sorry for the ty chapter you guys are about to read. This is really trash T_T

But anyway, I don't want to keep you guys waiting anymore, so here it is!

I hope you... don't hate it. :( 


10

“Can’t you just… wait for a while?” Jimin mumbled against his phone as he scrambled to get into his jeans—the ones that he loved wearing when he wanted a balance between comfort and style. He cursed under his breath when he lost his balance. Thankfully he was right beside his bed.

“What’s taking you so long?!” He heard his companion for the day scream from the other side of the line. “I’m like… two minutes away from the mall!”

“Sorry, okay! Sorry!” Jimin apologized. “Sorry for being late and—wait… I’m not yet late!” The vertically-challenged man said the moment he saw the small clock on his bedside table reading 9:30 in the morning.

“Yes you are!”

“No, Tae, I am not!” Jimin answered. “We agreed to meet at ten! It’s just 9:30!”

“But I’m already here!” The other countered. Jimin briefly let go of his phone in favor of putting on the plain black shirt he prepared.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” Jimin asked again when he was finally in the clothing. “I just… put on a shirt.”

“I said,” Taehyung repeated, taking a loud inhale before resuming. “I am already in the mall, and you aren’t here yet, and it’s like half an hour before ten, and I am already bored!”

“Again, not my fault.” Jimin retorted rather calmly, in contrast with the other’s clearly agitated tone. “It isn’t my fault you are apparently too excited to meet me to wait.”

There was a short moment of silence in the line before a cute little whine was heard through Jimin’s phone, making the said man smile.

“Okay then…” Taehyung mumbled. Jimin could only imagine the pout probably gracing the other’s lips. “I’ll just wait for you in the car.”

“Nah… your choice. It will take some time before I get there, though.” Jimin replied. “I’m quite far from the mall, you know.”

“Yeah… I’ll just… sleep here or something.” The other said.

“Keep your car AC open, okay?” Jimin reminded him. “I don’t want to meet a dead Taehyung.”

Jimin heard a few muffled clicking sounds, probably from Taehyung settling into his seat, before he heard a response. “Yeah, I will.”

“Okay, see you later!”

Jimin smiled before hanging up and putting his phone down. He then went over to the only mirror he had in his tiny apartment and scanned his own appearance. His smile grew even bigger.

That Friday, Taehyung decided to invite Jimin to go out and hand out with him in the mall. The latter was very hesitant about it, though, because hanging out just meant unnecessary spending for him. He already had his weekend planned—wake up late to skip breakfast, laze around with his phone until lunch time, and then exercise before a dinner with instant noodles. It was his ideal weekend. A weekend without stress, and without too much spending.

But then Taehyung pouted at him the whole while, even to the point of sulking and throwing a tantrum like a child. In the office.

Basically, Jimin was pressured into saying yes.

The other invited him out around lunch time, so Jimin just stuffed enough money for lunch and some emergency cash in his wallet. He had this tendency to overspend when he carried large amounts of money, and given the circumstances he and his family are in, overspending was clearly the last thing he would want to do.

After making sure that everything was already turned off and unplugged, the designer went out of his apartment and started walking—yes, walking—to their meeting place.

While walking, Jimin took the time to call his parents in Busan to ask how they were doing. He could not help but smile softly at the stress-free voice of his mother, who told him that they were already chilling in their house and just watching the television.

His father, too, sounded a lot better than how Jimin had imagined he would sound after his attack. The man still sounded tired, sure, but despite the occasional times that the old man had to stop talking to catch his breath, Jimin could still tell that he was happy and well.

After the call, Jimin only plugged his earphones in and listened to his favorite walking playlist. It was a pleasant weekend, one where the streets were not totally filled with cars. Even though the sun was up and it was hot, with the help of Jimin’s trusty umbrella, the long walk to the mall seemed more enjoyable.

It took some time, but Jimin eventually arrived at the mall. He was not familiar with Taehyung’s car, so once he was there, he had a brief moment of loss. He was about to dial the other’s number on his phone so he could ask him his whereabouts when the familiar deep voice called to him.

“Jiminie!” Taehyung screamed, waving at the other and smiling his signature boxy smile. The gesture made Jimin feel so much better.

“Hi, Tae!” Jimin answered, walking towards the taller, who was already in the process of leaving his vehicle. “Sorry to keep you waiting. Though it really isn’t my fault.”

“Yeah, yeah, I forgive you.” Taehyung waved him off good-naturedly. “I was just expecting some heavy traffic, so I left home a lot earlier than actually needed. I’m surprised there weren’t many cars out on the streets!”

“Actually I was also surprised. Like… in a good way.” The shorted retorted. “It’s nice walking.”

“You walked?”

“Yeah, I’m not that far from here, to be honest.” Jimin answered. “Saving a few bills by not taking the cab.”

“Oh… I see.” Taehyung nodded in understanding. “I couldn’t do that. I live a little bit farther from here. Do you know Pink Princess?” He asked the other. He failed to notice the effect the company name had on Jimin. “I live a little closer there.”

“O-Oh… yeah. I haven’t gone to that place yet, but I think I know it.” Jimin, a little bit nervous, replied. “Oh! What are doing today, anyway?”

“Oh! Oh! I already made a list!” Taehyung excitedly said, jumping around as the two of them approached the entrance to the mall.

And then he started listing—actually listing—the things that he had planned for the day. Of course there was lunch. But even before that, he already planned on trying out a milk tea shop and a burger shop. He also ranted on being unable to choose between two movies, and then proposed that they watch both.

“And then, after that, we can go to the arcade and then eat some ice cream. And then wander around window shopping.” Taehyung said, clapping. “And when we’re tired, we end the day with legit ramen!”

“Uhm…” Jimin tentatively said, suddenly ashamed. He did not want to drag Taehyung into not “having fun” just because he was broke. “That many? I mean… I thought we’re just gonna eat lunch and then walk around and talk… or something like… I don’t know but that’s what I thought when you said we’d ‘hang out’ today… I didn’t bring that much money with me, actually.”

“Nah, don’t worry about money thingy.” Taehyung answered as the two of them briefly separated to get checked by the security individually. “Today’s my treat, so don’t worry.”

“Really?” Jimin asked, baffled. “You don’t have to…”

“It’s fine!” The taller said. “I was planning on treating you today, anyway.”

Jimin fell silent after the other’s statement. He really did not think Taehyung would treat him for the day. And just by thinking of all the things that he listed a while ago, it would cost him a fortune.

“I’ll just pay you back in the future or something.” Jimin said, not feeling comfortable. “I’m just… not used to this whole… treat thing.”

“Jiminie,” Taehyung called his attention. “You really don’t have to.”

“But I want to.” The shorter insisted.

“Okay, okay.” Taehyung sighed, giving up. In the short time that he had known the other, he already knew that arguing with Jimin was most of the time pointless. “It’s your choice. But promise me you won’t pressure yourself into paying me, okay? Don’t skip meals just to pay me! I’ll kill you!”

Jimin took a look at his friend, and smiled at the sincerity in Kim Taehyung’s face despite his playful words. “Yes, I promise.”

“Okay then, it’s settled!” Taehyung clapped happily. “Don’t worry anymore! I brought lots of money and cards for this, so just enjoy, okay?!”

“Okay.”

“Good.”

“I don’t get it though.” Jimin said, voicing his confusion out loud. “Like… we’re basically of the same rank in the company. We should have the same salaries.” He stopped, remembering that after his deal with Jungkook, his salary was already probably twice Taehyung’s.

He suddenly felt bad. It was not fair.

And yet here he was, about to be treated to an awesome hang out day by the same Taehyung.

“Oh, you don’t what you’re talking ‘bout.” Taehyung slurred in English, pulling a laugh from the other. He watched as Jimin gave him a quizzical look, confused as to what Taehyung meant.

“Sidelines.”

“Oh…” Jimin said, enlightened. “I see.”

“And besides,” Taehyung continued as they approached this first destination, a newly-opened milk tea shop. “I’m not supporting anyone.”

His statement made Jimin’s usually narrow eyes widen. He knew the other would be surprised to know that he actually knew.

“I found out from Yoongi-hyung.” Taehyung explained.

“Ah… that rascal…”

“Yah, don’t kill him, okay?” Taehyung said, trying to calm Jimin, who was sporting a murderous look on his face. “He told me only because I begged him.”

“No, no!” Jimin clarified, waving his hands in front of him for emphasis. “It’s okay, it’s no big deal.”

“Then what with the ‘rascal’?” Taehyung asked.

“It’s just an expression!” The shorter guy expounded. Taehyung then agreed with him as he led Jimin into their first stop, the new milk tea shop.

The place was not as crowded as Jimin thought it would be. Since the place was just new, he was expecting a little bit more customers. He guessed the brand was not a known one.

Not that he was complaining, thought. At least Taehyung and he got a seat.

“Brand isn’t that famous, is it?” Jimin asked the taller when they settled into one of the three free seats.

“Nah, it isn’t.” Taehyung responded, smiling. “But I know this brand. It isn’t that new as a brand, but this is a new branch. I haven’t tasted their milk tea in ages, so… here.”

The shorter just nodded in understanding before he let Taehyung get his order and leave to buy them at the counter, while he remained seated to watch over their belongings and take in the vibe of the place.

In all honesty, Jimin liked the new shop. He loved that they were using yellowish bulbs for lighting and did not go for the modern white florescent light. It was something Jimin had always favored, even in his designs. He low key hated using plain white light to illuminate a place.

And the walls, too, were great. The off-white color of the paint matched well with the scarlet accents that followed the theme of the brand’s logo. The tables were of the same colors, too, but with the scarlet color dominating over the off-white patterns. He just had an issue with the irregular shape of some of the tables, but overall, it was nice. Modern look with a quaint vibe to it.

“They’ll just call us when the teas are done.” Taehyung’s voice interrupted Jimin’s judgement of the place as he reclaimed the seat opposite the shorter’s. “I feel like they’re nice drinks. I really love pudding in milk teas.”

“Yeah, I like pudding, too, but I love pearls better.” The designer commented, nodding wisely. “I feel fuller when pearls are used.”

“Ooohh… that is nice, too.” Taehyung bobbed his head in agreement. He was about to mention more things about milk tea add-ons when his name was called by the person behind the counter, prompting him to stand up once again to claim his and Jimin’s drinks.

When he came back, he already forgot what he was about to say.

Once Taehyung had given his companion his drink, the two of them proceeded to trying out their orders and judging them. As if it was an automatic, mutually-understood thing, they then proceeded to exchanging cups so they could try out the other’s drink. Only after that did they went on commenting and sharing their thoughts on the beverages they ordered.

“Tae,” Jimin called the other’s attention when the two of them fell silent again after the initial phase of their milk tea tasting. “You know about my family’s situation, right?”

“Yeah, from Yoongi-hyung.” Taehyung affirmed upon swallowing the milk tea in his mouth. “Why’d you ask?”

“I was just wondering if…” Jimin paused, trying to phrase his question a little bit better in his head. “If… you know… maybe you’re doing this whole… treat thing because of that?”

Once the question was asked, Taehyung tilted his head to the side and sent a blank expression to his friend. He tried to think of the motive behind the Jimin’s question, and once he did think of something, he had the urge to clarify his intentions to him.

“Well… yeah.” Taehyung answered, nodding. “But not because I pity you or something. I know you hate being pitied. It’s just that… when I look at you sometimes I feel like you’re beyond stressed. Like you’re carrying a world on your shoulders. I just wanted to… give you a break or something.”

He then smiled at Jimin, a smile that made him feel nice. Appreciated. Actually loved.

The boy from Busan could not help but smile widely at the sincerity of his friend.

“Aww… thanks, Tae, I really appreciate this.” He said. “Oh, anyway, what do you think of Yoongi-hyung?” He continued to ask about a different topic, wanting to change the mood and also to get some updates on their relationship.

“Oh, yeah, he’s really nice, actually.” Taehyung answered, taking a sip of his tea. “I really didn’t think he’d be the talkative type. I was even scared of him when we first met on your first day at work.”

“Oh, trust me, his isn’t usually that talkative. Do you guys talk a lot?”

“Well, yeah.” The taller nodded. “Aside from the surprise visits in the office, we also talk a lot online.”

“Oohh… that’s interesting.” Jimin retorted, grinning to himself. “Oh, did he tell you already?”

“That what?” Taehyung asked. “That he’s your ex?”

“Yeah?”

“Yup.” The taller answered with a popping sound at the end. “You guys are surprisingly close even though you had a thing in the past.”

“Yeah, I’m a bit surprised, too.” Jimin answered. “We ended on good terms and the decision to break up was mutual. I guess it’s because of that.”

“Yeah, maybe.” Taehyung said. The two of them fell silent afterwards, choosing to concentrate more on drinking their ordered teas. Jimin figured that he never really asked the other straightforwardly about his orientation, and knowing Yoongi, he thought that the pale man have not, either.

“TaeTae.” Jimin once again called the attention of the other, prompting him to look up from his stare at the pudding he was trying to poke with his straw. “Can I ask you something?”

“Yeah, sure!” Taehyung answered enthusiastically.

“Uhm… are you… perhaps…” Jimin dragged on, trying to find a way to say his question in a nicer, less invasive way. “Straight?”

“Straight?” Taehyung repeated the question, pulling a fast nod from the shorter. “As in like… hetero kind of straight?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, no.” Taehyung answered quite proudly, smiling widely at his friend. “Why? Are you asking me out?”

“Me?! No!” Jimin immediately answered, backing off a little bit. Judging by the look on Taehyung’s face, he was clearly just messing around. “You’re attractive and all, but I just see you as a very close friend.”

“Yeah, I figured you’ll say that.” The taller responded, chuckling. “Not that you’re ugly or something, but I wouldn’t date you as well, you know. You have this… buddy thing going on around you.”

“Yeah, that’s nice to know.” Jimin replied, referring to both the fact that Taehyung was not straight—so that meant his hyung had a chance—and that he did not look at Jimin in a romantic way.

“Oh! Oh!, Me! I have a question for you!” Taehyung suddenly exclaimed, a little too loudly for Jimin’s preference, since the act attracted some unnecessary attention from the other customers in the shop. “What is really going on with you and the boss?”

The instant the question registered in Jimin’s brain, his heart picked up its pace. There was that question again—the actual cause of his recent stresses in life. He found it ironic, how Taehyung wanted to hang out with him to alleviate some of his stress, but ended up bringing up the source of his dilemma.

It really was not about his father’s condition anymore. It was more due to his moral obligation to not deceive a nice person for monetary purposes.

And also, another thing that stressed him out was the fact that despite all the pressure, he was forced to keep everything to himself. That despite his friends—Taehyung and Yoongi, namely—wanting to help him out, he could not receive them, since he had a deal with Jungkook.

“Yah, Jiminie, answer me!” Taehyung said, waving a hand in front of the other male who did not notice that he was already taking too long to answer.

“Uhm… sorry, Tae.” Jimin apologized, choosing to stare at his drink rather than look at his friend in the eye. “I really can’t tell anyone… I had a deal with Sir Jeon…”

“But…” Taehyung protested, pouting. “I won’t tell anyone! I swear!”

“I’m really sorry.” Jimin shook his head, still not yielding to his friend. “If only I could tell you, I would. But I… I just can’t.”

Hearing his friend’s answer made Taehyung let out a sigh, exaggerating his disappointed, sad expression, complete with a massive pout. On any other occasion, Jimin would have already laughed at the taller’s expression, or smiled at least. But given the circumstances, it was almost inappropriate to do so.

But Jimin did not want to make things awkward, so he just gave Taehyung the best smile he could muster at the moment.

“I really am sorry, Tae.”

 

 

Once their drinks were done, the two made their way out of the milk tea shop and into the halls of the mall, exploring. Jimin and Taehyung talked about different things as they traversed the place, stopping by different shops that the latter wanted to visit either to eat food or to buy things.

There was the topic of background. They were still yet to fully know each other’s life story, so they took the time to ask each other questions about the other. Taehyung learned that Jimin graduated a little bit later than intended because he had to take less subjects so he could work part-time, and that his orientation was not accepted by his parents at first. On the other hand, Jimin found out that Taehyung was from a well-off family, that he was actually the son of two doctors and that he had an older brother who was already living on his own.

They also talked about their office. Jimin wanted to know more stories about the company before he got hired, so the taller indulged him with all the stories and rumors that he had accumulated throughout his stay in Wings. They spent a large amount of time talking about Jimin’s other seatmates, Wonwoo and Mingyu, and theorizing about them. Especially about that one time Jimin and Taehyung witnessed Wonwoo’s weird unexpected mood swing.

But of course, the slightly younger man did not completely forget the thing that intrigued him the most.

Every now and then Taehyung still tried to pry details about what he was doing with Jungkook from Jimin. But to his dismay, the shorter’s response was the same every single time.

And every single time he had to hide the truth from his thoughtful friend, Jimin’s guilt only increased. It was getting increasingly harder for him to hide the pained expression that threatened to appear on his face every time Taehyung brought the topic up.

An hour after lunch, the two arrived at the open area at the back of the mall, which was exposed to the air outside and had benches surrounding a dancing water fountain the establishment kept open all day long, just without the colorful lighting during the day. The numerous trees adorning the place kept the heat of the sun off the seats, so that even though it was noon, hanging out there was not a problem. There were also kiosks offering varying types of food surrounding the perimeter.

The place was actually more like a food park, but it was still part of the mall.

“Yah, Jiminie.” Taehyung said to the other male, calling his attention. “Can you stay here for a while? I have to pee.”

“I’ll just come with you then.”

“No, don’t!” The taller refused, already starting to leave Jimin. “Save that spot for us!”

Jimin, who was just about to stand up from their bench, just nodded as a response as he settled into the seat again. He only watched the younger’s back as he trudged back into the mall. Once he was out of sight, Jimin closed his eyes, and sighed, willing the heavy feeling in his chest to go away. The bright and happy ambiance of his surroundings helped a little bit with his feelings, but it was not enough.

And as if the universe was conspiring against him, Jimin’s eye widened when he heard a familiar voice calling his attention.

“Oh, Jimin!” The high-pitched voice called to him, with the owner rushing to his side and sending him a smile. “What are you doing here?”

“J-Jin-hyung!” Jimin stuttered out, trying to ignore the way his heart started beating erratically in nervousness. He returned the smile with one of his own, hoping that the gesture did not look weird.

“I didn’t expect to see you here.” Seokjin continued, laughing a bit. “Are you alone?”

“N-No.” The shorter awkwardly answered, suddenly remembering that he came to the mall with Taehyung. He quickly scanned the general direction of the entrance to the mall to check if the eccentric friend was already coming back. To his relief, he was still out of sight.

“With Jungkook, then?” Seokjin asked again, a teasing smirk gracing his lips.

“N-No, hyung.” Jimin answered, shaking his head. “I came with a friend. J-Just hanging out, yeah. He just… went to use the CR.”

“Oh, I see…” The older trailed off. There was a brief moment of silence between the two before the broad-shouldered man asked again. “How are you and Jungkook doing?”

“We-We’re fine! Yes…” Jimin responded, aware that he did not sound natural at all. But he could not control it—he was taken by surprise. Had he actually prepared for Seokjin’s arrival, their meeting would have been so much better. “Uhm… Jungkookie is busy, actually, but nothing out of the ordinary.”

“Yeah, I figured he must be busy if you’re not out with him.” The other answered.

Jimin’s phone then released a sound, alerting him that a message had just arrived. He quickly excused himself from the older before he fished his phone out of his pocket and reading the text.

From: Taehyungie

Jiminie! I won’t be back for a while since there’s this ice cream shop… And I really want a cup, but there the queue is too long…

But then again I want a cup. So I will buy.

Reading the text made Jimin chuckle a bit as relief washed over him. At least he did not have to worry about that other meeting Seokjin anymore.

“Who is that? Is that Jungkook?” Seokjin asked when he heard the younger laugh.

“Ah, no, no, it’s my friend.” Jimin answered. “He just went to use the CR but now he’s texting me he got distracted by ice cream.”

“Ah… that’s… different.” Seokjin remarked, pulling another laugh from the shorter male.

“Yeah… he’s a bit unique.” The designer said. “He’s name is Kim Taehyung. He’s actually my officemate, and he’s really… different.” He continued, still smiling at the thought of their subject.

“Kim Taehyung?” The older asked, to which Jimin just nodded. “Sounds like a fun person.”

“Oh, trust me, he is.”

After his response, Jimin released another sigh that helped in relieving some of the tension he could feel in his throat. What was supposed to be a stress-relief activity for him was quickly turning into another stressful day. Again, courtesy of his deal with Jeon Jungkook.

“Ah… I still could not believe that your love story with Jungkook is almost the same as mine.” Seokjin started, staring off at the distance. “It’s like… like you guys are the good side of the story. mine had a different ending.”

“Yeah… even Jungkook and I were surprised, actually.” Jimin replied. “But don’t be sad about it. Maybe our stories had the same start, but… but maybe you and your first love would still have your happily ever after, but through a different way. It’d be boring if our stories go exactly the same!”

“Yeah, it would be.” Seokjin nodded. “Have I said it before? That you and Jungkook look good together?”

And Jimin just gave the older a laugh as a response.

“But seriously, though. Invite me to your wedding with him, okay? I want to receive an invitation to the Park Jimin and Jeon Jungkook wedding in the future, okay?”

“Yah, hyung, you’re thinking too far into the future!” Jimin retorted, feeling slight warm at the older’s words. It really was embarrassing to talk about wedding plans, even though him and Jungkook weren’t real.

“Oh come on, it’s gonna happen anyway. Promise me you’ll invite me, okay?” Seokjin insisted, smiling. The younger just laughed in return before he nodded.

“Okay, I will.”

Jimin was not even done with his response when another sound of a phone floated in the air, and this time, it was from Seokjin’s phone. After reading the message, Seokjin motioned to leave.

“Anyway, my friend just arrived.” Seokjin said, excusing himself from the conversation they were having. “I will have to go now. It’s nice meeting you here again.”

“Yeah, yeah, it really was fun talking to you again.” Jimin replied genuinely. Honestly speaking, Seokjin was great company. Too bad Jimin was in a bad situation.

And just like that, Seokjin left Jimin alone again.

Well, not really alone.

“Jiminie.” A deep, booming voice surprised Jimin once Seokjin was out of earshot. Once the agitated male turned around to look at the source of the sound, he paled.

“T-TaeTae.”

“I heard everything.” Taehyung said, face devoid of any emotion. He was clutching a cup of ice cream in each hand, the surface of the cup dripping wet due to the dew forming on the cold surface. Jimin could not stop it anymore. His own tears started mirroring the condensate on the ice cream cups.

“Are you really…”

“I’m so sorry, Tae!” Jimin started sobbing, shocking Taehyung. He immediately set down the cups of ice cream he bought for the two of them down on the bench and pulled the shorter into an embrace.

“Hey, hey, don’t cry, please!” Taehyung tried to coo the other into calming down. He frowned when he noticed Jimin visibly shaking. “Yah, yah, Jimin, calm down.”

“I’m… I’m sorry, Tae!” Jimin kept repeating his apology. He was torn, so torn between telling his best friend the truth and lying to him. He kept of letting out cries of apology to the younger.

But more than the fact that he had been hiding details from his friend for too long, what made him want to apologize more was the fact that he was about to deceive him, too, just like what he was doing with Seokjin.

“J-Jungkook and I…” Jimin mumbled, struggling. He just could not find it in himself to do it, but he knew he had to. A deal was a deal. Yoongi only knew because he actually knew about the whole setup even before Jimin admitted the truth to him.

“Jungkook and I…” Jimin repeated. He swallowed the lump in his throat and quickly sniffled before continuing.

“We’re dating.”