[18]

Habit

HELLO GUYS!!! I'm back!!! Sorry for the long, long wait... it's been what... 2 months? AHAHAH and yes, the laptop is back! It's hella old, but I love it anyway. Me and my laptop have been through lots of stresses...
Without further ado, here's the next chapter! I hope you guys like it!


18

The beep from the phone, signaling the end of the call, prompted Jungkook to put the device down once he had finished inviting the older over into his office. He then looked back at his computer screen and resumed reviewing the final draft of the proposal that they were going to present to Pink Princess during the final presentation.

Jeon Jungkook had always been confident with this abilities, and this one proposal was no exception. Especially after seeing the impact of his schemes with Jimin, the young CEO was almost sure that it was all about the formalities now.

Unexpectedly for him, Jimin had secured the deal for them.

But still, it was in Jungkook’s nature to be cautious and to prepare for the worst. As the head of the company, he could not be too careful.

With a small push, he turned his chair away from the desk to face the glass wall behind him, coming face to face to what he could describe was a perfect day—the skies were clear and blue, with the sun still high for it was still early in the afternoon. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and sighed.

“At last…” He muttered to himself, smiling. “It’s almost over.”

Just after he muttered the words, the bell of his door rang, indicating the presence of someone just outside his office. Jungkook energetically turned himself around once again to press the button to unlock the door, promptly standing up to greet Jimin.

But instead of the shorter, the CEO found his secretary entering the office, with a weird look on her face.

“Oh… it’s you.” Jungkook found himself absent-mindedly muttering. The foreign look on the girl’s face was quickly replaced by a confused expression.

“It’s… me.” Momo said, lolling her head to the side. “Were you expecting someone else, sir?”

“No! No!” Jungkook answered immediately, shaking his head rather vehemently in denial. “I didn’t mean anything with that.” He continued with a chuckle. Amusement added on Momo’s confused face. “Uhm… did you want to talk about something?”

“Oh… yeah.” Momo answered, and the foreign look was back. It quite unsettled Jungkook, seeing his usually calm and collected secretary acting the way she did. “I just… want to ask if I could leave work early.”

Jungkook raised his brow at the female’s request. It was the first time Momo asked to leave before dismissal time. “And why is that?”

“There’s a family emergency, sir.” Momo explained, keeping her head low. “I know I shouldn’t be asking this of you, and it’s so unprofessional, but—”

“You can go.”

“Excuse me?”

Jungkook smiled at the female who snapped her head up in disbelief. “I said, you can go. It’s a family emergency, and family’s more important. You can go.”

“But…”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.” Jungkook reassured her. “Today’s relatively lighter than usual, so we’ll manage. And also, don’t worry about your salary. You’ll still get today’s full payment.”

“O-Oh my god, thank you so much, sir.” Momo bowed lowly at a right angle, repeating the motion as she excused herself out of the office and went over to the door. Once beside it, Momo turned around to open it, only to jump back a bit when she was greeted by Jimin’s equally-surprised face.

“Oh… hello, Momo-ssi.” Jimin greeted the younger with a smile.

“Hi, Jimin-ssi.” The secretary responded. “I… gotta—”

“Oh, yeah, yeah, sure.” Jimin nodded, stepping out of the way and into the office. His brows scrunched upon hearing the girl’s rushed footsteps away from the place.

Upon closing the door behind him. Jimin turned his attention to Jungkook, who was still standing behind his desk.

“What’s up with her?” Jimin asked, pointing towards the door. “She seems… distraught.”

“She asked to leave work early today.” Jungkook answered, walking around his desk to join the older in the couches area of the office.  “She said there was a family emergency. I guess she’s really worried.”

“Ah… I see.” Jimin nodded to himself. He then took it upon himself to get seated on one of the couches before he asked why the younger called him.

“Our deal with Pink Princess is going so well.” Jungkook answered. “Thanks to you, actually. So I just wanted to… treat you, maybe? I guess you aren’t that busy with anything, since you just came back.”

The expected raised brow from the older immediately came. Jungkook had expected the older to initially reject his offer.

However, instead of a rejection, Jimin simply nodded to the offer, smiling afterwards and standing up, as if already ready to leave.

“What?”

“Nothing.” Jungkook answered, chuckling softly. “I just… expected you to reject the offer. You agreed rather easily.”

“Should I have been a little bit more difficult?” Jimin jokingly asked, laughing afterwards. “You know, I won’t reject such generous and harmless offer.” He paused, eyeing his boss. “Unless it isn’t harmless.”

This time, it was Jungkook’s turn to laugh. “You’re too cautious. Don’t worry, I won’t poison you or anything.” He answered. “You’re ready to leave, then?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Okay, then let’s go.”

The two promptly left the office when the younger finished double checking the place. The exclusive elevator went down straight to the company parking lot where they boarded Jungkook’s car. Thankfully for them, the traffic outside the office was light, and within minutes, the CEO started pulling over beside a familiar establishment.

“Isn’t this the restaurant where you met Jin-hyung back then?” Jimin asked as he stepped out of the car, eyeing the entrance to the building.

“Yeah, it is.”

“Then why did we have to take the car?” The older continued to inquire, frowning at his boss. “It’s literally walking distance away!”

“What do you mean by ‘walking distance’? It isn’t near at all!” Jungkook countered, heading into the glass door of the place. “It’d take us forever if we walked.”

“You know,” Jimin retorted, following Jungkook to an empty spot. “I used to walk from the office to my apartment when I was still starting, and my place is like… ten times the distance from the office to this place. Even then, I don’t ‘take forever’, as you put it.”

“Whatever.”

The two finished their small bantering just in time for the waiter to come to take their orders.

“I’ll just take duck carbonara.” Jungkook answered first. “I’d also like crème brulee and a watermelon milk tea. That’d be all for me.” He finished his order, handing the menu back to the waiter. “How ‘bout you, Jiminie-hyung?”

At the question, said man lowered the menu to take a look at the younger with his brows raised, confusing Jungkook. Jimin did not take his judgmental stare off even as he gave his orders to the still waiting worker.

Once the man left the table, Jungkook proceeded to questioning the older about his reaction.

“Why’d you look at me like that?” Jungkook asked, chuckling a bit. “It’s like I grew another head or something.”

“Ah… it’s nothing.” Jimin responded, smiling. “It’s just that… it’s the first time I heard you call me ‘Jiminie-hyung’ casually even though it’s just the two of us.”

It took a few moments before the older’s statement made sense in Jungkook’s brain, and once it did, he could not hide the surprised expression that came with the realization that he may or may not have messed up.

“I-I did?”

“Yeah, you did.” Jimin responded with a hint of amusement. He could not help but laugh a bit at the embarrassment evident on the younger’s face.

And white the older was enjoying the moment, Jungkook was pretty sure he was not going to get out of the situation unscathed—he was sure Jimin would use what just happened against him one way or another, and knowing how the older was, he knew it would not be easy.

But even before Jimin could get another tease out, his phone rang, pulling out a sigh of relief from Jungkook.

Shaking his head, Jimin pulled the device out of his pocket and swiped to answer the call, while Jungkook took the opportunity to think of ways to save himself. Few moments passed, and the older remained silent.

Taking a glance at Jimin revealed that the shorter’s playful expression just seconds ago had been replaced by an indescribable one. A sickeningly indescribable one.

“Are you al—”

Jungkook did not even manage to finish his question when Jimin suddenly stood from his seat and, without a word, rushed out of the restaurant and into the streets before quickly jumping into a cab that happened to pass by the place.

Inside the moving vehicle, the designer could not even care to stop the vigorous bouncing of his legs as he once again asked the driver to hurry up. Jimin could feel the tension around his neck and jaw—he really could end up crying, but he knew it was not the right time for it. For now, he just had one goal, and that was to reach his apartment as soon as possible. Crying could come later, if worse came to worst.

No, if worse came to worst, he just might die.

Upon arrival at his place, the agitated man quickly tossed his fare to the driver before practically jumping out of the car. He entered his small apartment and proceeded to pulling open all the closet doors and grabbing his clothes and the suitcase he had brought with him the first time he came to Seoul and with swift, panicked movements, tossed everything that could fit into the suitcase. He also went over to the sink and grabbed his personal toiletries, also to stuff into the bag.

Stepping back to try and get his mind to function properly so he could recall what things he needed to bring with him, Jimin ran his fingers through his sweaty hair.

“Laptop.” Jimin said to himself, raking his gaze all over the room in search of the said device, only for him to groan in frustration seconds later when he realized he had left his working bag in the office.

“Oh my god, I don’t have time to get it.” He cried to himself. One glance at the clock had him rushing again to close the suitcase and leave.

Once outside, he went on to drag his suitcase behind him in a run-walk to the corner, thinking in that spot he would be able to hail a cab much faster. To his dismay though, one, two, three—all of the taxis that passed by him in the next five minutes, which seemed like ages for him, were filled.

“Where are those damned cars when you need them?!” The frustrated designer’s knuckles were turning white with the deathly grip he had on the handle of the luggage. He was just on the verge or breakdown when suddenly, a familiar vehicle pulled over just in front of Jimin.

“Hyung!” Jungkook shouted from the driver seat, catching the attention of the distraught male. “Get into the car!”

“I’m going to Busan!” Jimin responded, actually itching to just jump into the car, but he was sure the younger did not know just how far the place he was going to was.

What he got as a response took him by surprise—Jungkook got off his car and rounded it to open the door of the passenger seat, afterwards shoving the still-confused older into the seat and effortlessly lifting the luggage to the back, putting it into the hood before going back to his seat to drive away.

“Where in Busan?” The CEO asked as he maneuvered the car to the direction of the said city. He briefly turned his head to the older, only to see him anxiously fidgeting with the hem of his top.

“Hospital.” Jimin answered, voice slightly shaking. “Busan Hangun.”

“Hyung.” Jungkook called his attention, prompting the older to look at him. “Try to calm down a bit.”

“O-Okay.” Jimin answered, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes. The action slightly put Jungkook at ease, but it was only for a moment. One second, the designer was trying to calm down, the next, he was frantically reaching into his pocket to grab his phone when it dinged, an indication that a new message have arrived.

Silence reigned in the car for a few seconds before Jimin broke it by cursing.

“What’s wrong?”

“My phone.” Jimin groaned into his palms, his stress already starting to affect the younger. “Twenty percent. My charger’s in my office bag.”

“It’s in the back.” Jungkook answered, offering a small smile to the shorter, who took a look at the back seat. And true enough, his bag was there. “I figured that since you left the restaurant looking so panicked that you’d head straight to your place. So I went back to the office to grab your bag and my stuff before catching with you.”

“I…” Jimin stuttered, out of words for the younger’s actions. “Thank you.”

“It’s nothing, hyung.” Jungkook responded. “It’s clear that there’s a big emergency. I just wanted to help.”

“Also, sorry about running out back there in the resto.” The older continued, apologizing for the rude exit. “It’s just... I…”

“It’s okay, hyung, you’re fine.” The younger offered a small smile to Jimin in an attempt to maybe, just maybe, help ease whatever he was feeling. “We’ll just reschedule, if you want.” He jokingly added.

“Well… if you insist.” Jimin slightly smiled at the younger. The two continued to drive in silence for some time, with Jungkook completely focused on the road and Jimin looking out the window. And unlike the other times when it was just the two of them alone in silence, this time, it was comfortable, needed even.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” Jungkook broke the silence, caution obvious in his tone. “Who’s in the hospital?”

“My parents.” Jimin answered.

“Parents?” Jungkook asked again. “Which one?”

“Both of them.” Jimin answered, shocking the younger. “It’s just my dad supposedly. He’s always had this intermittent high blood pressure attacks. But this last one… it also stressed my mom that she suffered the same thing.”

“I…” Jungkook started, but he found it difficult to think of the right words to say to the older at the moment. To his eyes, the designer just looked to fragile and vulnerable—the most vulnerable he had ever seen him since they met.

“I’m sorry about it.” He finally finished. “I mean… I know it’s not my fault but… ugh sorry I’m just rambling now, am I not? I…” He turned to face Jimin, and was met by the man’s soft smile. “I really hope they… you’ll be fine.”

“I hope so, too.” Jimin agreed. “You know… I’m their only child. And my parents are already old. They’re the only family I have now and… god I just want them to be alright. If something bad really happens… I just… I don’t know what to do, Kook. I don’t know.”

“Don’t worry too much. Nothing bad’s gonna happen now.”

Jungkook then focused back on the task at hand, which was taking Jimin to the said hospital as soon as possible. A solid block to twenty minutes passed until Jungkook felt some sort of an itch to talk to the older again, and after desperately searching his brain for an interesting, appropriate topic for another five minutes, he finally decided to open his mouth.

“Hyung, do you want to eat first or something?” Jungkook asked. “We could just get drive thru or something. The road ahead’s pretty long.”

No reponse.”

Baffled by the lack of just about any response from Jimin, Jungkook turned his head to look at him. After seeing what was up, Jungkook could not help but smile.

No wonder why the designer was not responding—he already fell asleep.

“He must be really tired from all this stress.” Jungkook said to himself. Choosing not to bother Jimin anymore, the CEO decided for the both of them. Since he was asleep and he could not object in his current state, the younger just decided to go for his suggestion and get fast food via drive thru.

Jimin could eat it once he woke up.

 

 

Jimin opened his eyes to see cars zooming past him in a familiar traffic. It took a few moments and an “oh, you’re awake” from his driver before he remembered what he was doing, and an idea on where he was.

“We’re in…”

“Busan, yeah.” Jungkook answered. “Welcome back, I guess.”

“Gosh… I never thought that the next time I’m going back here it would be to visit both of my parents in the hospital.” Jimin groaned. “I vowed to never return until I become successful—guess that’s too much to say.”

“Aww come on, hyung, you’re doing really great now, don’t you think?” Jungkook nonchalantly replied. “I mean… career-wise, at that.”

“You know you’re really weird nowadays. All nice words and stuff.”

“Should I go back to being Mr. Menstruation suit?”

“Oh, no.” Jimin waved his hand off, complete with an eye roll. “You’re so much better this way.”

Despite the light-hearted conversation, Jungkook could still tell from the look in the older’s eyes that he was still worried sick for his parents, his fingers back to playing piano against his bouncing knees. He already knew he could not take that away from Jimin, but at least he was doing something to alleviate some of his anxiety.

Right after Jimin’s answer, a disturbing sound filled the car, and since the car’s radio was not on, it came with an awkward silence, and a laugh from the younger.

“You’re that hungry?” Jungkook asked, smiling. “That sounded like a dying cow or something.”

“Yah! I’m… tired and all. Of course I’d be hungry.”

“Stop whining and eat.” The CEO retorted, pointing to the back with his thumb, prompting the elder to look at the back seat to see packaged drive thru fast food.

“Oh… when did you buy that?” Jimin asked. He did not even wait for Jungkook’s reply before hurriedly instructing the younger. “There’s the hospital. Oh god… there’s a lot of cars! Where can we park?”

“You go ahead, hyung.” Jungkook answered, entering the parking space and heading straight for the building entrance. “I’ll go find some place to park.”

“Thanks, Jungkook.” Jimin got off the car with words of gratitude, afterwards practically running into the building. Jungkook let out a sigh before driving away to find parking space.

“He didn’t even get to eat the food.”

 

 

Mentally thanking the heavens for his small stature for once, Jimin expertly maneuvered around the multitude of people along the halls of the hospital to the general ward. There was a large number of cars outside for a reason—there was definitely a lot more patients with even more companions than usual, had to be. There was no way the hospital was always full.

After two wrong beds, and three awkward bumps with unknown people, Jimin finally found the right pair of beds where his parents laid, fast asleep.

Jimin saw them every now and then through video chat, but he never noticed just how they looked. The stressed expressions—even when they were sleeping—on their old, wrinkled faces almost made Jimin regret his decision to work in Seoul. He should have just gotten a job in Busan. He should have just stayed with his parents to take care of them.

“Oh, please.” Jimin pleaded to himself, approaching the beds. He could not help but cover his mouth for he could feel a sob trying to rake its way out of his throat, but the place being the general ward, it would be very inappropriate for him to make a scene and bother other patients.

So for the mean time, he just settled to swallowing down his feelings, and taking deep breaths to calm himself down. He did not even notice when Jungkook arrived. He did notice the younger as he watched the scene unfold before him.

Jungkook just could not explain it… it was the first time seeing someone so sad that it made his own heart ache in his chest. And at the moment, all he wanted to do was comfort Jimin.

Before he could stop himself, the CEO rushed to the designer’s side and engulfed him in a tight hug. Relief washed over the taller when he felt Jimin reciprocate, his small hands the cloth of his top. He could feel his shoulder getting wet, but it did not matter.

It was Jimin that mattered.

“Excuse me, Mr. Park Jimin?” The doctor’s voice pulled the pair out of their trance. Upon hearing the doctor’s serious voice, Jungkook immediately let go of the older and stepped back, letting Jimin approach the professional.

“How are they, doc?” Jimin asked, his voice surprisingly stable for someone who just got back from the brink of breakdown.

“They’re still being monitored.” The doctor answered. “It’s your mother’s first attack, while this is one of your dad’s worst, if not the worst, attack.”

“Is there anything we can do to help them recover?”

“I’d highly recommend moving them to a private room to maximize rest. Also, we’d be able to focus more on their condition.”

“Please do what needs to be done, doc.” Jimin answered. The man simply gave him a nod of acknowledgement before getting back to work, leaving Jungkook and Jimin alone.

“So… what now?” Jungkook asked as Jimin moved to take a seat on his father’s bed.

“They’ll be moved to a private room so we could monitor their condition much more closely.” The shorter answered with a sigh. “Good thing I’ve been saving up lately.”

The look of worry in his eyes was still there, but it has lessened. The thought made Jungkook give himself a mental pat on his back for a job well done in helping the older.

“Jung—I mean… sir.” Jimin spoke again, the shift in his tone evident. It was unpleasant in said man’s ears. It felt like when they fought while they were dating. Fake dating.

 “Can I… ask if I could take a leave for a few days…”

“Oh.” Jungkook eyes widened, not sure why he felt both embarrassed and relieved at the same time. He scratched the back of his head as he gave the other consent.

“Uhm… so… thanks.” Jimin stood up once again, and gave the younger a bow. “For driving me here, for caring… for everything. I’ll just go back to our house to get our stuff while you can—”

“Drive you home.” Jungkook cut him off. “I’ll drive you home.”

“It’s okay, I can manage.”

“You’re tired, hyung.” The CEO argued. “I’ll send you home, bring you here again, and then I’ll go back to Seoul.”

“It’ll be dark by then, Kook.”

“Then maybe I’ll just stay here in Busan and go back tomorrow.” Jungkook answered, shrugging. Jimin just raised his brow at him in confusion.

“You do know that I won’t be sleeping in our house, right? I’m just gonna go back to get stuff, and sleep here with my parents.” Jimin asked. “No one would be in our house to accommodate you.”

Jungkook chuckled, much to Jimin’s surprise. “Did you really think I plan on sleeping in your house?” He asked, smiling. “We have a house here in Busan, stupid.”

“Oh.” Jimin responded, shifting his gaze to the side to avoid the younger’s. “Yeah… that makes sense.”

“So, shall we get going then?” Jungkook asked, motioning to leave, with Jimin following suit.

The designer’s place was not that far from the hospital—a fact that Jimin was thankful for, since his old parents lived on their own. It was easy for them to have regular checkups without going through the hassle that was Busan’s traffic.

Once they arrived at the older’s place, the first thing that Jungkook noticed was that it was not anything you would expect from an events designer as talented as Jimin. It was cute, neat and all, but it was nothing like the flashy things that Jimin was now known for.

“Come in.” Jimin beckoned for the younger to follow him inside the structure as Jungkook continued to examine everything around him. “So… this is me. This is us.

Simple. Neat. Ordinary. But warm and loving.

“Just like—wait what am I thinking?”

Jungkook shook the thought out of his mind and ignored the sudden change in the pace of his heart. Judging from the proud look on Jimin’s face, Jungkook should not be feeling bad for him. But he could not help but compare it to his grand life. He could not help but feel like…

“Take a seat, I’ll get water for us.” Jimin said, pointing to the long couch beside the coffee table. “Don’t worry… that couch might be older than both of us, but it still holds.”

“Older than us?”

“Yeah… mom and dad got it shortly after they got married.” Jimin answered. “Just don’t break anything, okay! I’ll be right back!” He continued with a playful tone, his voice being muffled by the walls around the kitchen.

With Jimin’s voice in the background complaining about having to look for the glasses for guests, Jungkook took the time to look around the house. Family pictures were all over the place—the walls, the divider, the coffee table. Some frames also contained Jimin’s graduation pictures all the way from elementary.

“It’s the same smile.” Jungkook said to himself, examining a childhood photo of little Jimin playing on a beach. Right above it where Jimin’s diplomas and certificates.

“He’s quite an achiever, I see.”

“I told you to just sit down, not to snoop around.” Jimin said, making him turn around to see him putting down a tray with glasses of water and fruits. “I didn’t know what fruit you preferred, so I brought different choices.”

“I love bananas.” Jungkook answered, picking up said fruit and proceeding to peeling it. “And also, you dance?”

“Used to.” Jimin answered, shifting his gaze to the certificates and medals hanging on the wall.

“Why’d you stop?”

“Didn’t have time for it anymore. Part-time jobs, school, social life and family life are already too much to juggle.” The designer answered. “Uhm… feel free to just… not destroy anything, okay? I’ll just get what I came here for.”

“Yeah, go ahead.”

And with that, Jimin left for what Jungkook assumed was the bedroom. Having nothing else to do, the CEO proceeded to looking through the photos around the house.

And with every family photo he saw, Jungkook got to know more and more about the older—why he loved his family so much, and why he was such a kind and warm person.

Why Park Jimin is Park Jimin.

There was this blurred photo of them in the same living room Jungkook was standing in, with Jimin’s mother holding a small cake in her hands, smiling from ear to ear as Jimin kissed her on her cheek. There was also a photo of Jimin taking a selfie with his parents holding Christmas decorations behind him, like they were decorating the small Christmas tree they had inside the house.

Jungkook was convinced. There was no way he should pity the older. He grew up so well in a loving family. A family of his own.

“Okay let’s go!” Jimin suddenly cheered, pulling right behind him a small suitcase probably filled with his parents’ belongings. “Yah, you didn’t even drink your water.”

“I’m not that thirsty.” Jungkook answered. “You ready?”

“Yup.”

Jungkook then proceeded to taking the suitcase from the older while Jimin took the tray back to the kitchen before rejoining the other outside, where Jungkook’s car was waiting.

One their way back to the hospital, the CEO basically forced his employee to eat the food that he had bought for him along the road to Busan. Jimin initially refused, but after the younger nagged him and about his grumbling stomach which “sounded like a dying cow” in Jungkook’s words, the designer just relented and quickly gobbled the meal down.

“Uhm… yeah… thanks.” Jimin expressed his gratitude to the younger once they were done putting all of Jimin’s stuff in the private room where his parents got transferred to. “Seriously… I don’t think I wouldn’t have done this without your help.”

“Nah, you’ll do just fine without me.” Jungkook answered, smiling. “You’re so strong, hyung. Probably because you have your own family behind your back all the time, supporting you.”

“Yeah… they’re my world.” Jimin answered. “Just like how you feel towards your family. I couldn’t fathom how you managed to overcome the pressure of taking over your father’s business at such a young age. I guess it runs in the blood.”

“Yeah… you can put it that way.”

“Well then,” Jimin took a deep breath and sighed. “I guess let’s call it a day, then?”

Jungkook nodded. “Yeah…what a day it really was.”

“Take care.” Jimin gave the taller a small bow. A few moments of silence went on between the two before Jimin let out a huff of air.

After being pulled by Jungkook into a tight hug.

“You’ll be fine, hyung.” Jungkook said in a low, comforting voice. “Everything’s gonna be alright.”

“Thank you.”

And with that, Jungkook went out of the private room and left the Park family on their own. It was on his way out of the hospital when Jungkook realized what must have been the reason why Jimin took his special offer regarding Pink Princess.

Maybe it was to support his father’s medication.

And without knowing that, Jungkook proceeded to insult Jimin by saying that he was too hungry for money to let the offer pass.

“Oh my god… Jeon Jungkook you’re such a .” The CEO carded his fingers through his hair in frustration. He knew he was known for being one hell of a boss, but what he did was out of line, even for him.

He just knew he had to make it up to the older.

With that in thought, Jungkook went to the administrative office before he left the place for good. He may not be the best in providing emotional support, but he would do what he could. Maybe taking care of Jimin’s main problem regarding their current finances would at least lessen the burden he was facing.

“I’ll pay for all the charges on Park Jimin, in room 333.”