[19]

Habit

Hello guys!!! Sorry again for the long wait! Well... I guess it was not as long at the previous one? AHAHAHHA Still sorry for the wait. 

Here's another chapter for the story! It's kind of... chill and short, to be honest. For those who have read some of my previous work, you know what a chill, short chapter means, right? :)

Anyways, here's the chapter! I hope you guys enjoy!


19

At this point, Jimin was not even surprised when his phone rang for only nearly five hours after he last talked to someone over it.

“Hello?”

“Jiminie…” The low, but still oddly cute voice dragged on from the other side of the line. “How are you?”

“Kim Taehyung…” Said male answered with a sigh. “I appreciate the care, you know I really do. But you’ve been checking on me and asking the same question for like… three or more times a day since you found out what happened.” Jimin could not hide the exasperation in his voice, but even then, he could not help but let out a chuckle. “And yeah, I’m fine.”

“Hey, hey, I’m just worried.” Taehyung answered. “And also, I’m bored as hell.”

“Maybe if you’d stop calling me every now and then and actually do stuff in the office, you won’t be bored.”

“But office stuff is even more boring!”

The taller’s response was not something Jimin was not expecting from him—after all, Taehyung was some sort of a special kind of person with a special way of looking at things. He just knew Taehyung was going to have to look for another job, if he continued acting like he did.

But then again, Taehyung was also some sort of a genius. He would not have lasted for a long time in the company if he did not have something to offer.

“Well then…” Jimin trailed off, thinking of something else to suggest to the other male. “How about talk with Mingyu and Wonwoo?”

He did not expect the sudden squeak from the other end of the line.

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!” Taehyung gushed excitedly, voice going from its loud, booming tone to a hushed whisper. “You just reminded me, I have something to tell you!”

It has been like that for the past three days since Jimin had arrived back in Busan upon hearing the news of his parents getting hospitalized. Taehyung kept on calling him numerous times in a day—sometimes, it was Yoongi, but compared to the sheer number of times the younger called, it would seem like the pale male did not care at all.

Jimin knew that Yoongi actually cared, but that was not the point.

At first, the fact the two found out a little sooner than he expected confused him. However, Taehyung had so graciously provided him all the details when he and Yoongi came together for a visit.

 

 

Jimin let out a yawn for like the umpteenth time for the day. For the past 48 hours, the young designer had not been able to get a good sleep, opting to watch over the couple still unconscious on their respective beds. There was no one else to keep an eye on them and on the machines attached to them, resulting in Jimin downing cup after cup of coffee just to make sure that he stayed up and alert.

The sound of the door opening did not even register to him, not until he was suddenly being crushed in a tight hug.

“Jiminie!” Taehyung cried out as he continued to envelope the shorter in a warm hug. “My Jiminie… oh my god, look at you…”

“Taehyung?”

“Yes, it’s me, pabo.” Said male answered. “Why didn’t you tell us?! We were so worried, you know? We couldn’t contact you for like two days straight!”

“I… I’m sorry.” Jimin weakly answered, prompting Taehyung to tighten his hug, and Yoongi’s face to form a scowl.

“Taehyung, just shut up already.” Yoongi reprimanded the loud boy. “Can’t you see Jimin’s tired?” He then turned to the still-listless designer. “I know it’s not the right time, but Jimin, you look like .”

“Thanks, I guess.” Jimin answered, smiling a bit.

“What happened?” The pale male asked, taking a seat beside the two on the couch. “I know Mr. Park has history of attacks like this, but why is Mrs. Park…”

Jimin let out a sigh before responding. “Mom got too stressed this time, her blood pressure ended up shooting up, too.” He briefly explained. “It was all too sudden, and my phone’s battery died that day as well. I still haven’t charged it yet.”

“But why does boss Jeon know?” Taehyung asked. “Like… if it weren’t for him, Yoongi-hyung and I would have called the police already!”

“Oh, that.” Jimin answered. It was obvious that he still in the best state to be answering questions, based on the lag between the questions and his answers. “He’s actually the one who brought me here.”

Taehyung let out a loud, dramatic gasp upon hearing the other designer’s answer. “Oh! That’s amazing of him!”

“Well, we were… eating outside when I got the news.” Jimin explained, eyes fixed on Yoongi, who, in contrast with the taller, wore a disapproving look on his face.

Something that Jimin was expecting from him.

“Well, how about you two?” Jimin asked in an attempt to change the topic. “How did you guys know?”

“Well, I kinda thought it was weird that you didn’t turn up the next day.” Taehyung answered. “So I tried calling your phone for like, ten times before I went to Yoongi-hyung to tell him.”

“It was a bit too dramatic, actually, the way he entered my office and whined and all.” Yoongi added.

“He actually didn’t think much of it at first.” The other continued. “That was until even he tried to contact you. In the middle of the day, Yoongi-hyung went over to your place to check if you were resting or something.”

Jimin nodded to Taehyung, listening. He could already feel his eyes trying to shut close, but he fought the urge to just lie down and sleep.

“Then, I went to Jeon’s office to ask him.” Yoongi continued the story. “I figured that if there was anyone else aside from me and Tae who would know about your situation, it would be him.”

“Turns out he actually knew what happened.” Taehyung said. “So after boss spilled the tea, we agreed to come here to visit you today.”

Right after finishing his story, Taehyung stood up from his seat beside the other designer. “Where’s the CR? My bladders about to explode!”

The sudden change in topic—and the fact that the new topic was Taehyung’s bladder, put a small smile on the tired male’s lips. With a fond look on his face, Jimin pointed to the door leading to the said room. Taehyung immediately ran to the comfort room and even banged the door close behind him.

The instant the door closed, Yoongi called the younger’s name to gain his attention. Jimin turned, only to be met by Yoongi’s disappointed look.

“I know you’re stressed and all right now, but—”

“Hyung,” Jimin interrupted the older, sighing. “I’m good.”

“Well, for now, you are.” Yoongi continued to reprimand the other. “But if you don’t put some distance between you and Jeon before your inevitable separation, you will get hurt!”

“But all I really did this time was I took his offer of faster travel, that’s all.” Jimin defended himself. “I just took his offer. I actually slept almost the whole way.”

With his answer, the look on Yoongi’s face changed from disappointment to defeat..

 The young designer was not sure which one was better.

“You know I’m just worried, right?” The pale male asked softly. Jimin gave him a small nod in response.

“I’m good, hyung.” The younger answered. “I’m stronger now, don’t worry too much.”

Just as Jimin finished his response, the door of the comfort room opened, revealing a wet-faced Taehyung who continued to pat his face with his towel. A few steps out, the tall male stopped in his tracks and lolled his head to the side in confusion.

“Did I miss something?” He asked. He sent the two a questioning look at the weird atmosphere inside the hospital room.

“Nah, it’s nothing.” Yoongi answered, waving his hand for added emphasis. He then turned to the other male beside him before standing up from his seat on the couch, leaving the whole space for Jimin. “Rest and sleep, Jimin. Tae and I took the whole day off. We’d watch over your parents for you.”

At that point, Jimin did not even bother arguing. He was just too tired, and since Yoongi and Taehyung were people he knew he could trust with his parents’ lives, he just gladly nodded and lied down on the couch.

He was out in less than a minute.

 

 

“So, you remember how it was kinda weird between the two when you were still working here, right?” Taehyung continued his story about the said two boys.

“What happened? Are they dating now?”

“Quite the opposite, actually.” The boy on the other end answered. “They actually fought. Like… just now.”

“Fought?” Jimin repeated questioningly. “Like…”

“Physical, yes.” Taehyung confirmed. “It was so bad, Yongsun-ssi even had to step in to stop them. Mingyu and Wonwoo aren’t here right now—they were called into department head’s office.”

“Oh my god.” Jimin replied. “That’s something. Do you know what they fought over?”

“Honestly, no.” Taehyung answered. “It was actually very, very weird. It was so quiet in the office. You weren’t here, and the two usually-loud boys were eerily quiet.”

“So, what happened?”

“I was just shocked when I heard a loud crash just to my side. When I turned, I saw Mingyu on the floor, with Wonwoo standing nearby, fuming.”

“So Wonwoo pushed Mingyu?” Jimin asked, to which Taehyung responded with a hum. “Why though?”

“I don’t know!” Taehyung answered. “Then Wonwoo straddled the still-dazed Mingyu and started attacking him. Mingyu actually got to reverse the situation just before Yongsun-ssi arrived to stop them.”

Jimin let out a sigh. “That’s sad.” He replied. “And here we are thinking there’s something between the two.”

“Yeah… well… not really.” Taehyung mumbled into the phone, confusing the other designer. “There was also something I noticed when they were pulled apart.”

The way Taehyung said it perked Jimin’s interest, causing his brow to rise. As much as he was a nice person overall, the young designer still enjoyed participating in juicy gossip sessions.

“What is it?”

“There were,” Taehyung paused, and Jimin could totally imagine him looking around him for people who could possibly hear what he was about to say. “Boners.”

Silence.

A good five seconds passed without any sound coming from either side of the line before Jimin burst into a loud laughter, followed by the sound of Taehyung’s muffled giggling.

“Pretty big ones, at that.”

“So that’s what this is all about?” Jimin asked, words intermittently being cut by his chuckles. “?”

“I think.” Taehyung answered. “Oh god, how I really wish you were here to see it. It was hilarious.”

“How come other people haven’t noticed?”

“I think they did, to be honest.” The other boy laughed into the receiver. “Those bulges were hard to miss.”

“Oh god.” Jimin groaned, laughing.

“Wait, wait, here they come, listen.” Taehyung hurriedly said. Jimin winced at the sharp sound of the phone being put down on a hard surface. Taehyung probably put the phone down on his desk to pretend he was working.

“Go home, you two.” Yongsun’s voice faintly, but still audibly came through the line. “You’re clearly not fit to work today. Take the day and tomorrow off. This incident will not reach the higher ups this time, but do it again and there won’t be mercy coming from me.”

The way the woman sounded through the phone was nothing like the Yongsun that Jimin met when he was given the special assignment. Back then, the newbie thought that the beautiful lady was all wide, cheeky smiles and gentle voice.

Turns out she could also be an actual boss when needed.

Her voice was then followed by the sound of heels against the tiled floor, signaling that Yongsun had left. There were also sounds of stuff being moved around and shoved into what Jimin thought were Mingyu’s and Wonwoo respective bags.

It took a few moments before Taehyung once again picked his phone up. “They’re gone.”

“Yeah, I heard.” Jimin answered. “They’re lucky Yongsun-ssi’s kind.”

“Our whole department’s lucky, let’s be real.” Taehyung retorted, chuckling. “She’s really, really considerate. Oh yeah, I just remembered,” He continued, changing the topic. “While pretending to be doing stuff on my PC a while ago, I realized I actually have something important to finish. So yeah, I’ll talk to you again next time.”

“Next time’s tonight, right?”

“Damn you’re right.”

Jimin could not help but let out a laugh at the lack of denial on the other boy’s end. “I’ll be expecting your call, then.”

“Yep.” Taehyung answered. “So… bye for now.”

“Bye.”

Jimin waited for the beep that indicated the end of the call before he put the device away from his ear. Even though he berated his tall, obnoxious friend for calling every now and then, he really appreciated Taehyung’s efforts to keep in touch with him despite his work.

Shaking his head in fondness, Jimin mumbled to himself how much Taehyung was such a great friend.

“Jimin?” A familiar, warm voice made Jimin freeze on his spot. It was weak, nothing short of its usual effect on the young designer.

“E-Eomma?!” He asked upon spotting the small smile on the old woman’s lips as he turned after the initial shock. He did not even bother with his tears as he immediately went in for a hug. “Y-You’re awake!”

“Sorry, my son, we worried you.” She weakly said, raising her hand to pat the still-crying man’s back.

“Hell yeah, I was so worried!” Jimin responded. “But don’t ever apologize for it.”

The mother and child stayed in that position for some time. Even though the man’s position was uncomfortable, Jimin did not notice, since he was just so relieved that his mother was finally safe.

They only pulled themselves apart when Jimin remembered that he needed to call the doctor to tell them she was up.

He quickly said this to his mother, to which Mrs. Park only replied with a smile and a nod to say that it was fine. With haste, Jimin ran out of the room and informed the first nurse he saw that his mother was finally awake.

The doctor arrived not long after, and started examining Jimin’s mother. After checking her vital signs, the doctor gave both Jimin and his mother a warm smile.

“Congratulations, Mrs. Park.” He started. “Your statistics are back to normal. You’ll only to rest a bit more and you’ll be in perfect shape again.”

“Thanks a lot, doc.” Jimin bowed to the man in white, who proceeded to checking his still-unconscious father on the other bed.

The worry on Jimin’s shoulders were greatly lessened when the doctor said his father would most likely wake up, too, soon.

Once the medical team left the room, Jimin went over to his mother’s bed and sat. He took the woman’s wrinkled hand into his own and caressed it. “How are you feeling, eomma?”

“I’m tired, mostly.” She answered. “And hungry.”

“You’re hungry?” Jimin repeated, standing up from the bed. “What do you want to eat?”

“Hmm…” The old lady hummed, thinking. “My stomach’s still weak, so give me something easy to digest.”

“Uhm…” The man looked around him, stopping when he spotted the fruit basket brought by Yoongi and Taehyung when they arrived. “Do want cantaloupe?”

“That’ll do.” She answered, smiling. “Thanks, son.”

“No problem, eomma.”

After grabbing the said fruit, Jimin went over to the comfort room to wash the cantaloupe prior to slicing it open. He then cut the flesh away from the thick skin and cut them into small cubes before serving them on a plate.

Jimin watched his mother as she took small bites of the fruit and chewed them thoroughly. It was quiet in the hospital room, and it reeked of the usual hospital smell, but Jimin could not be more relieved. His parents were safe.

The silence of the moment was broken when once again, Jimin’s phone rang in his pocket. He quickly excused himself from his mother and went out of the room as he fished the device out.

“Don’t tell me it’s him again.” Jimin said to himself, already imagining that it was once again Taehyung who contacted him. “Well at least there’s something new and good we could talk about this time.”

Jimin could already hear the squeal the other designer would let out once he learned of the progress in his parents’ condition. Except when he took a look at the caller’s name, it was not Taehyung at all.

It was Jungkook.

The man’s brows knitted. All of a sudden, he felt sort of nervous at the thought of his boss contacting him at the moment. Not that it was weird or anything… it was just that Jungkook never contacted him again after the day he drove Jimin to Busan.

Not that he was waiting for the call or anything.

“Hello?” Jimin answered the call. “Sir.”

“Hyung!” Jungkook’s happy, excited voice from the other end of the line pleasantly caught Jimin off guard. “Hyung, I have good news!”

“Oh, me, too, actually!” Jimin retorted. He could practically see the stupid bunny smile Jungkook could be wearing at the moment. “But you first.”

“Nah, you first, hyung.” The younger answered. “Oh, by the way, I haven’t really contacted you since a few days ago. How are things going with your parents?”

“That’s the good news, actually.” Jimin answered excitedly. “Eomma’s up and well! And the doctor said even appa should be up soon.”

“R-Really?” Jungkook asked, to which the older responded with a happy hum. “That’s great! Congratulations, hyung!”

“I know! Oh god, I was so relieved when she opened her eyes.” The designer answered. “And of course, I have you to thank for that. Thanks a lot, Jungkook.”

“It’s no problem.” Jungkook replied. “I’m happy I was able to help you.”

The way it sounded coming from the younger’s mouth—even though it was just through the phone—made Jimin’s chest painfully clench around nothing. It just sounded too… sincere.

And Jimin did not know what to make of his body’s involuntary response. So instead of dwelling on it any longer, he just decided to continue the conversation.

“So, what about the good news you were going to tell me?”

“Oh yeah, that.” Jungkook said. “Guess who got a deal with Pink Princess?”

Jimin’s eyes widened. “Oh my god.”

“Yep! We did it!” Jungkook cheered from the other end. There was clanking of shoes against tile floors from the other end, probably from the younger jumping in joy. “We got the deal! We’re just waiting for the contract signing and it’s done!”

“Oh my god!” Jimin clamped a hand over his mouth. “T-That’s great! Congratulations!”

“After everything, hyung, we finally did it!” The CEO hollered. “And of course, the whole of Wings has you to thank for this success.”

“Nah, I was just doing my job.” Jimin answered. “And besides, I enjoyed working with them during their anniversary party, so I really didn’t see it as tedious work.”

“Still,” Jungkook answered. “Thank you, hyung.”

There he went again. Jimin internally berated himself for reacting the way he reacted with just about anything that sounded sincere coming from Jungkook. Maybe it was just him not really being used with the usually-moody CEO being all nice.

“Fine, then.” He replied. “If you really want to thank me, do it personally.”

“Hmmm… what do you mean?”

“Well… uhm… we really didn’t get to finish the meal you said was your treat so…” Jimin trailed off, suddenly feeling embarrassed for asking to be repaid. “Maybe you can treat me again to a nice meal next time?”

There was a momentary moment of silence from the other end of the line before Jungkook finally answered again.

“O-Oh, yeah, definitely!” The younger agreed. “Same place? Once your back and we’re not busy?”

“Deal.” Jimin answered. Neither of them said a thing after Jimin’s response that it started to feel awkward.

Just when the older was about to say something to save the both of them from the weird atmosphere, Jungkook opened his mouth to speak.

“I… I’ve got something to do, hyung.” The boss said. “I’ll talk to you some other time?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Jimin replied. “Go ahead.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.”

The line immediately went off once Jimin bid his good bye to the younger. He headed back into the hospital room, mind full of the overwhelming turn of events in his life.

Both his parents got hospitalized, and just when he was about to lose his mind, suddenly they were fine. There was good tea waiting for him and Taehyung back in the office, thanks for the tension between Mingyu and Wonwoo.

And Jungkook.

Jungkook was just starting to grow on him as a person. He was not as bad as he thought—not at all. If anything, Jimin could say he was rather lucky to have the young and talented CEO as his boss.

And after his hard work for Wings, they were about to close the deal with Pink Princess.

Nothing started smoothly for the aspiring designer, but right now, he could say he was doing well.

And as he was met by his mother’s loving smile, Jimin figured that life was starting to be good to him.

Everything was fine.