[6]

Habit

Hello guys!!! So... this will be a longer chapter compared to the last two. AHAHAHAHA 

I won't be able to update soon, because I have so many things to do... so many school projects, exams, and events. I am a bit too busy to write. T_T

I hope you guys like this. :) 


6

The young man narrowed his eyes at his own reflection, scrutinizing his appearance. It was the first time in a long time that he has cared this much for his looks.

Seeing a small band of hair out of place, Jungkook groaned, and put it back to its place. To say that he was nervous was an understatement—he was terrified, to be completely honest. Min Yoongi has been part of the company for a long time, even longer than Jungkook’s own time in the company. Even his own father, despite his old age, was all praise and respect for the fire-spitting music genius.

Jungkook have heard accounts of people calling Min Yoongi “cute”, but Yoongi was anything but “cute”. His angelic face was a lie.

“Come on, Jungkook.” He said to himself, sighing. “You’re still the boss. You also have some reputation in the company. There’s nothing to worry about.”

He then smirked at his own reflection, testing his appearance in that kind of expression. People have told him that his smirk was a killer. And Yoongi was at least biual. Maybe he could use his manly charms to make the older agree to him?

But how could Min Yoongi like someone like Park Jimin? That was one thing to worry about—maybe Jungkook was not the elder’s type. After all, he was ex-lovers with the newbie. He was nothing like Jungkook, but the CEO thought he was still way better than Park Jimin.

Finally contented with his looks, Jungkook left the condominium unit where he lived. He met people along the way down to the parking lot, and he heard lots of praises from them. Even more than usual. He used to shy away from the attention everyone tend to shower him with, but in his line of work, he knew there was no space for a timid attitude.

The story was the same once he arrived at the company building. People greeted him with much more energy, matching the unusualness of his get up.

“Good morning, sir.” A familiar voice greeted him once he arrived at the door of the special elevator.

“Good morning, Momo.” Jungkook replied. The two of them then entered the newly-renovated lift and waited for it to arrive at the top floor.

Inside, Momo proceeded with her usual routine of reminding Jungkook of all the appointment he had for the day.

“Find me a free schedule.” Jungkook said once the female was done with her words. “One that matching the music department head’s. Setup an appointment for a meeting with him.”

“Okay, sir.” Momo answered, typing down the note on her tablet. “Where should I set it, sir?”

“In his office, maybe.” The CEO answered. “Anywhere he’s comfortable with. Give him the decision.”

“Okay, sir.” The female replied. Soon after, the elevator door opened to their floor, and Jungkook briskly walked to his office, with his secretary trailing right behind.

Once they arrived at the office’s door, Jungkook turned to face Momo, and smiled. “How do I look today?” He asked, but not looking at the girl in the eyes.

“You look great, sir!” Momo answered. “You look extra handsome today.”

“R-Really?” Jungkook stuttered, mentally reprimanding himself for showing emotion. “Thank you.” He smiled, turning again to enter the office and leave the girl outside.

“Wait a second,” Momo suddenly said, causing Jungkook to face her again. She then reached out to him and grabbed his necktie.

“W-What are you—”

“Your tie’s crooked, sir.” Momo answered. She then carefully tugged at the ends of the fabric and pushed the collar a bit, and smiled before letting go. “There you go, sir. Perfect.”

“Uhm… t-thanks.” Jungkook stuttered again, already feeling the effect of having the pretty lady so close to him. “I-I’ll enter now.”

“Okay, sir. Have a nice day.”

And with that, Jungkook hurriedly entered his office. Once he was finally within the safety of his private room, he released a sigh and felt his cheeks with his hands.

There were a bit warm.

“Oh god…” Jungkook took a deep breath. “I’m like this when I’m with her, and yet I am currently looking for a boyfriend. I’m so gonna ask her out after everything.”

 

 

Jimin’s face contorted in discomfort as he felt a slight pain in his neck while stapling half a day’s worth of paper works. He was trying his best to not let his phone fall from its position between his ear and his shoulder as he waited for the ringing to stop.

“Hello?” Someone from the other side of the line finally answered after five rings.

“Hello, eomma?” Jimin asked. “How are you, eomma?”

“We’re fine here, Jiminie.” The old woman answered, her voice calming the stressed male a little bit. “Have you eaten lunch?”

“Yes, eomma.” Jimin answered. He felt his stomach grumble in protest, but the hardworking man just ignored it.

“He’s lying, eommoni!!!” Taehyung suddenly screamed, entering Jimin’s personal space and obnoxiously screaming at the phone currently located near Jimin’s ear. “I asked him to eat lunch with me, but he did not eat lunch at all!!! Jiminie’s ly—mnghngdfnfm!!!”

“W-Who was that?” His mother asked from the other end. Jimin replied with am embarrassed laugh immediately followed by a threatening glare to the squirming male whose mouth was covered by Jimin’s small hand.

Taehyung’s expression fell to that of a kicked puppy before he retreat to his own cubicle.

“It was a friend, eomma.” Jimin answered. “His name’s Taehyung.”

“Oh, I see.” The older woman answered. “And did he just say you were lying about eating lunch?”

“I was about to, anyway.” Jimin lied again. He really, really was not planning on eating lunch. Every coin counts for him, so if he could save up a little bit more by sacrificing one of his three meals, he would do it.

“Yah, Park Jimin.” She scolded through the phone. “How are you going to work if you get sick because of not eating lunch?”

“I said I was going to eat, eomma.” Jimin answered. “Just… finishing something.”

“But it’s already past two in the afternoon.”

“I know.” The younger sadly said. He was used to the hunger, anyway. It was not going to hurt him. “By the way, where’s appa?”

“Oh, oh, right here.” Jimin’s mother answered. “Do you want to talk to him?”

“Yes please.”

The line went silent for a few seconds while the phone was handed over to Jimin’s father. “Hello? Jimin?”

“Hi, appa.” Jimin greeted his father. “How are you?”

“Here, still getting older.” The man joked, putting a smile on Jimin’s face. “How’s our mocha?”

“Yah, appa, don’t call me that. I’m a manly man.” Jimin protested, still smiling. “Just gay, but still manly.”

“With those cheeks?  No way.” He retorted, causing Jimin to pout. “Yah… we wanna see those mochi cheeks when you get back, so eat well, okay?”

“Yes, appa, I will.” Jimin promised. He knew he was not going to eat lunch, either way, but just to give his worrying parent peace of mind, he still promised. “By the way… I sent some money last night. Remember to take your vitamins, okay? You and eomma.”

“Yes mochiiii…”

“Yah appa…”

After a few more exchanges of teasing, sweet words and good byes, Jimin finally put his phone down and stood up from his chair with his papers in his hands and went over to the office of the design department head. However, when he got there, the senior was not around.

He immediately went back to his cubicle, and asked his officemates of the head’s whereabouts.

“Tae, do you know where Kim Yongsun-ssi went?” Jimin asked. “She’s not in her office.”

“Nah… not really.” Taehyung answered, tilting his head to the side. “Hey, Mingyu, do you know where department head went?”

“Not really.” Said male answered. “I just saw her walking about, but I didn’t know where she was going.”

“She’s going to the music department.” Wonwoo butted in from the far side of Mingyu. “Was going to chat with music department head or something.”

“Do you think she’s dating Min Yoongi?” Mingyu suddenly asked, changing the topic. “I mean, they seem really close.”

“Hmmm… they could be.” Wonwoo agreed, causing Jimin to internally laugh at the two because he knew of Min Yoongi’s preference.

As the two continued to gossip about the two department heads’ relationship, Jimin went over to Taehyung and smacked his head. “Yah! Why did you tell my parents that I did not eat lunch?!”

“Lying is bad, Jiminie.” Taehyung innocently answered. “I was technically saving your soul. You should be thanking me.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I’m not.”

“Ughh!!!” Jimin exclaimed, exasperated. “Now I think they’re worrying about me. It’s your fault.”

“No, it isn’t.” Taehyung retorted. “If you had actually eaten lunch, they wouldn’t be worrying about you. If you don’t want to spend money as of the moment, you could’ve just borrowed some from me.”

Jimin looked at Taehyung for a few moments, and sighed. He was right. Teahyung already made it clear in the past that he would willingly lend money to, or even treat, people, just so Taehyung could have someone to eat with.

Jimin was not used to borrowing money from people, often opting to starve himself and just save money if he needed some money. Maybe it was unavoidable—relying on others at times. It was just that he was not taught by his parents how to ask for financial help from others. They were poor, but they were proud.

“Y-Yeah…” Jimin nodded in understanding. “Sorry about that. I was just not used to… you know… relying on others.”

Taehyung sent him a quizzical look, aware of the sudden shift in the mood. His face then broke into a wide, rectangular grin. “It’s alright, Jiminie. Take your time. Now go to wherever you need to send those papers.”

 

 

It was not often that the young CEO visits the other departments, so when he did to meet Yoongi, the employees were surprised. Some even outright ran away from the scene, afraid that they would do something wrong in the very freak occasion.

Those who were brave and confident enough to stay bowed down to him in respect—a gesture Jungkook returned with simple nods.

Yoongi was aware of the arrival of the company’s head, and was prepared, so the moment Jungkook stepped in, he stood up from his seat, and gave the superior a bow of acknowledgement.

Now, on any other occasion, of if it was any other person, Jungkook would have simply acknowledged the gesture with another nod. However, he wanted to make Yoongi feel a little bit more special. Jungkook wanted to be part of Yoongi’s good books.

The office seemed as prepared as its occupant. There was only two chairs in the room, and they were setup as if they were going to have a public dialogue. It was a little too formal for Jungkook’s liking, especially since he came to the office for that.

“Do you want to drink something?” Yoongi asked after asking Jungkook to take a seat. “Tea or coffee, perhaps?”

“No, thank you.” Jungkook politely declined the offer. “It won’t take long, anyway.”

Yoongi just nodded at Jungkook in understanding. Now that the formalities are done, Yoongi came straight to the matter at hand. “Why did you come all the way here, sir?”

Jungkook quickly cleared his throat, and recalled his rehearsed speech. “I need a favor from you, Min Yoongi.”

Said male could not help but raise his brow at the younger’s words. Really? The legendary Jeon Jungkook needed his help? And specifically his help?

“But first, I will need to give you some… context. So you won’t misunderstand.”

“Okay.” Yoongi answered, nodding and relaxing a bit more into his chair. He understood the situation. He had the upper hand. “I’m listening.”

“So… here’s the thing.” Jungkook started. “Do you know Pink Princess? The design company?”

“Yes.”

“We are trying to establish a partnership with them.” Jungkook explained. “And we are so, so behind compared to our competition. So, I had to do something about it. I had to think of a shortcut to win over the company. And the fastest way to do that is to target the company’s head, Kim Seokjin. Turns out, Seokjin is a… gay relationship advocate or something like that.”

Yoongi stared questioningly at Jungkook, still not getting what the younger was trying to say. What part would he play in this scheme?

“So…”

“So… I thought I could get closer to him if I pretended to be one the same page as him. That is… if I had a boyfriend.”

“Okay… so…”

“I want you to be that boyfriend.” Jungkook finished, a bit embarrassed. “I-I know it’s outside your work! B-But—”

“No.” Yoongi answered, giving the younger his ‘what the ’ face.

“W-Wha…” Jungkook trailed off. He immediately jumped to his contingency plans to convince Yoongi. “I will double your salary for the duration of the act.”

“Still a no.”

“Triple?”

“No.”

“How about—”

“No matter how much you increase my salary, Jeon Jungkook-ssi,” Yoongi cut in, staring down at Jungkook’s soul. “My answer still stands. It’s a no. I won’t get involved in this ‘scam’.”

“But… but…” Jungkook said, already on the verge of a mental breakdown. “T-The company needs this! If we don’t strike a deal with Pink Princess, our position will be jeopardized!”

“Then find someone else who could do it.”

“But you’re the only gay person I know!” Jungkook blurted out. In the midst of the silence of the office, the younger realized what he just said and covered his mouth. Just like how a boy covers his mouth after saying the wrong things.

Jungkook’s words slightly tested Yoongi’s temper. He did not even know how Jungkook found out, but that was out of the question for now. He was barely able to stop himself from dissing the younger CEO. After calming himself down a bit, Yoongi turned his chair away from Jungkook, and said “No.”

Defeated, Jungkook sighed. He stood up from his seat, and muttered out a “thank you” before leaving the office. He knew he just ed his chances of getting Yoongi to agree up.

He was so engrossed in his own thoughts that he did not notice the person coming from the other way. The bump made his look up from his glare on the floor, and he was met by a familiar face.

Park Jimin.

I don’t have time for this. Jungkook thought. So instead of facing the now scared-looking guy, he just gave him a sneer before storming back to his office.

The other guy, on the other hand, was frozen. He thought he finally was going to lose his awesome job right there and then. Thankfully, Jeon Jungkook was not in the mood to fire someone.

Still a bit shaken, Jimin hurriedly entered the music department and headed straight to the office, where he was met by a contemplating Yoongi.

“Hi, hyung.” Jimin greeted the elder. “Is Kim Yongsun-ssi here?”

“Oh, she was here a while ago.” Yoongi answered, smiling at Jimin. “Did you not meet her on your way here? She probably went to the ladies room or something.”

“Oh… I see…” Jimin nodded in understanding. He felt sad and tired, because after his trouble of going to the music department and even yet again bumping into Jeon Jungkook, Kim Yongsun was not in Yoongi’s office anymore.

Speaking of Jeon Jungkook. Jimin thought.

“Actually, uhm… hyung.” Jimin started, walking closer to Yoongi so he could speak in a lower volume. “I want to ask you about something.”

“What is it?” Yoongi asked, giving the younger his full attention. Jimin looked around him, as if there could be someone else in the office, before speaking.

“I have a… problem with Jeon Jungkook, the CEO.” Jimin started. “I kind of… offended him in the past? Like… yeah… you get the point.”

“Okay, yeah, yeah, I get the point.” Yoongi chuckled, completely understanding the non-verbal language Jimin used. “So, where’s the problem?”

“Am I in danger of losing my job?” Jimin asked, pouting. “I mean… I don’t want to, hyung. I like this job. I like my cubicle. I like the people around me. I just made a friend, in the form of Taehyung. I don’t want to lose all of this, hyung.”

“Awww… Jiminie…” Yoongi cooed, reaching o

ver to pinch the unwilling Jimin’s cheeks. “Don’t worry. Jeon Jungkook won’t fire you for personal reasons, I swear. As long as you are an asset to this company, you have nothing to worry about.”

Jimin stared at Yoongi for some time, before giving him a small smile. “Okay, hyung.” He said. He then stood straight and sighed. “Thanks hyung. You’re the best.” “I know.” Yoongi jokingly answered, even waving his hand as if he was shooing Jimin away, making the younger laugh a bit. “Now go. You still have papers to submit to Yongsun, right?”

“Yup!” Jimin answered enthusiastically. “See you soon, hyung!”

“Yeah, see yah.” Yoongi answered.

“I’ll even bring Tae over next time so you two could—”

“YAH!!!”

 

 

Jungkook was having a mental breakdown. Yoongi blatantly rejected his offer. Now, he was back to square one. He was quickly running out of both options and time. He knew he could not just find a random gay person outside the company—that would not be safe. It had to be someone from inside the company.

However, like what he said to Yoongi, he only knew two not-straight people in the company, one being his own brother. He could not just ask all of his employees regarding their ual orientation.

“Oh my god…” Jungkook groaned, exhausted. “Where do I start now?”

Wait.

He actually knew someone else who was not straight.

With that thought in mind, Jungkook hurriedly called Momo.

“Momo, I want you to do something. Go to the design department and look for Park Jimin.”

 

 

Once Jimin reached his department, he headed straight to the department head office. He quickly handed the papers he worked on to the Yongsun, who gracefully received them and even thanked Jimin for his work.

Feeling accomplished, Jimin bowed down just in time for the door of the office to open, revealing a beautiful woman Jimin remembers as the only female that accompanied Jungkook the first time that they met, right before their interview. Realizing that she was also a senior, Jimin also gave the girl a bow, which the girl returned.

He was just about to leave the office when Yongsun called his name.

“Yes?” Jimin asked, turning around to face the two.

“Go with Hirai Momo-ssi.” Yongsun answered. Jimin only bowed in obedience and looked at the girl whose name was apparently Momo. Her name did not sound Korean for Jimin.

Just as his department head requested, the newbie in the company silently followed Momo out and into the elevator. Inside, Jimin found courage to ask Momo where they were headed.

“My boss requested your presence, Park Jimin-ssi.” Momo answered. “We’re headed to the CEO office.”

Thankfully, Momo was standing in front, because Jimin visibly stiffened at the revelation. Did the CEO finally snap? Jimin did not know. He was scared, to say the least. However, he held onto Yoongi’s words earlier. His hyung would not mislead him. Yoongi said that he would not get fired, so he was going to trust him.

Jimin did not really want to enter the office when Momo and he arrived. Even with Yoongi’s reassurance, Jimin was still worried for what could happen inside. He was clearly the underdog, once he and Jungkook faced off.

But he was not left with any choice when the door unlocked from the inside and Momo opened the door for him, motioning with her free hand for Jimin to enter. He silently thanked the girl for the assistance before he entered the office.

The door immediately closed behind him.

The inside was brightly lit, really. But it still felt all too dark for the scared male. It did not help that the other occupant of the room was standing tall and confidently right in front of the opened blinds, making him seem like a shadow.

A scary, and tangible shadow.

“We meet again, shortie.” Jungkook spoke first. Jimin was offended.

“E-Excuse me?”

“Yes, you are short.” Jungkook continued, removing the fear from Jimin and only making the older feel a little bit bolder. He had to defend himself.

But he also knew it was not the right time.

“Y-Yes, sir. I know.” Jimin answered, feeling his pride protesting. “Did you call me to say that, sir?”

“Aish… this…” Jungkook let out some of his frustration at the other. For some weird reason, he just felt riled up whenever he saw Jimin. “Anyway, no, I did not call you here just to call you short.”

“T-Then…”

“I asked you to come here to give you a special task.” Jungkook continued. He really did not want to end up asking Jimin, but he had no other choice. “I want you to pretend to be my boyfriend.”

“W-What?” Jimin stuttered out questioningly, taken aback by the younger’s words.

“I won’t explain everything to you, since you won’t understand.” Jungkook condescendingly said. “It’s just that we have to show someone that I am in a gay relationship. Once we convince him, and once the deal is over, we can stop the act. Do you understand?”

Jimin stayed silent. He was letting the younger’s words sink in. So basically, what the younger wanted him to do was to pretend to be his boyfriend to fool someone else into signing a deal?

That did not blend well with Jimin’s morals.

He was raised well by his parents, and he was never used to deceiving people. Even if he did not know the person that Jungkook was planning on duping, Jimin still did not want to do it. He did not have much money, but despite the difficulty of life for him and his family, he did not ever think of hurting someone for personal gains.

“I-I refuse, sir.” Jimin answered honestly. “I think it’s bad.”

“But it’s for the company!” Jungkook countered, his voice rising in both volume and pitch. “Okay, okay, I’ll double your salary!”

“Y-Yah… it’s not about that.” Jimin answered, hurt that his boss thought that he was merely waiting for a financial offer.

“Triple?”

“No!” Jimin answered firmly, his pride taking control. “How dare you think that it’s just about the money! I was not raised by my parents to hurt other people in exchange for material things!”

After his rant, Jimin left the office, slamming the door behind him. He was fuming in anger. On his way back to his department, all he did was mentally curse at the younger for having no conscience and even trying to drag Jimin along with him.

If being rich meant being like Jeon Jungkook, then Jimin would never want to become rich.

When he reached the department, Taehyung was already gone. Jimin was in the middle of fixing his things so he could leave and go home when his phone rang, indicating a call. When took a look at the name of the caller, a smile was put on his face.

“Hello? You called, eomma! Missed me too much?”

“Jiminie…” The woman answered, and the smile on Jimin’s face immediately disappeared. He would recognize that tone any time. It was the same tone when his mother talked to him after finding out he was gay. It was the same tone his mother used when she told him that Jimin could not continue his studies because they had no money.

“Y-Yah, eomma…” Jimin tried to act coolly. “W-What’s with the tone?”

“Your appa…” She continued. Jimin could already hear the tears in her voice. “He’s in the hospital… I-I don’t know what to do, Jiminie!”

“What?!” Jimin yelled into the phone. Fortunately there was not much people left. “W-Why?”

“T-The doctors said it was h-hypertension and …” She narrated through sob-broken words. “Jiminie… w-we can’t afford the hospital bills…”

Jimin felt his insides twist and his throat constrict. He tried his damned best not to cry, but he could not stop the tears from falling. Of all the bad people in the world, why did they have to suffer?

“Jiminie…”

“Eomma…” Jimin sobbed into the phone. He knew he had to do something. “I will… I will find a way, eomma. Don’t worry.”

 

 

Jungkook absent-mindedly walked out of the elevator once it stopped on the basement parking lot. He was not functioning anymore, already out of ideas. He was not even sure if he could drive in his condition. Jungkook was aware of how dangerous driving while stressed is.

But he had no one else to do the driving for him, so he had no choice.

To his surprise though, Jimin was waiting for him a few steps outside the parking lot’s elevator. He was just about to walk past him when he heard the male inhale and exhale before speaking softly.

“I’ll do it.”