[3]

Habit

Hello!!! So here's the next chapter!!!! :)


3

Jimin came in a lot earlier than required on his first day. He was supposed to be there at eight o’clock sharp, but he was a bit too excited that he arrived at the main lobby of the Wings Company at 7:30.

He and his hyung Yoongi agreed that they meet at the lobby fifteen minutes before eight, but Jimin did not want to make the older wait. He had known Yoongi for too long to know that the grumpy hyung, despite his laziness, was not fond of late people.

That is how Jimin found himself staring at the grandiose chandelier hanging from the high ceiling.

“Jiminie,” a voice made him quickly lower his gaze back to eye-level. “You’re early.”

“Good morning, hyung.” Jimin smiled his usual eye smile to Yoongi, who readily returned it. “I just don’t want to make you wait.”

“You still haven’t change.” Yoongi remarked. “Oh well, let’s start. Follow me.”

The younger just nodded before trailing behind Yoongi, who proceeded to giving the new employee a tour of the building. Floor by floor, Yoongi showed Jimin the locations of the different departments of the multi-disciplinary company. He also showed the offices of the remarkable people of the company, including the office of the department heads, the conference rooms, and the office of the chief executive officer and the president.

Along the way, Yoongi also oriented Jimin on the rules of using the different communal equipment of the establishment, including the photocopiers, the coffee machine, vending machines, and the comfort rooms.

“Wow, hyung, this is a really big room!” Jimin remarked once he and his hyung entered a room filled with beds.

“Yeah… is was also shocked at first.” Yoongi answered. “There are three rooms of this kind, one on every seventh floor. The company values its employees just as much as it values its clients, and they understand that some of us will need a good rest. Working here is taxing, not just mentally and physically, but also emotionally. And sometimes, the only thing you can do to relieve stress on site is sleep.”

Jimin just nodded in amazement. He suddenly felt more grateful that he got the chance to work in such an outstanding company.

“When you are looking for me and I am not in the music department, you’ll most likely find me in one of the sleeping rooms.” Yoongi chuckled, earning a laugh from the younger.

After that, Yoongi led Jimin to the fifth floor and entered a large office filled with cubicles. Jimin smiled after reading the large “Design and Creatives Department” embossed in chrome-plated metal on the large wall to his left upon entering the office.

“Here,” Yoongi started upon the two’s arrival at an empty cubicle. “Is your space.”

“Oh my god… I really can’t believe it.” Jimin covered his mouth, unable to contain his happiness upon seeing the ID on his—yes, his new workspace. He carefully lifted it from the desk and donned it proudly.

“And here,” Yoongi continued, handing an envelope to Jimin. “Is your first list of assignments.”

The younger let out a fake groan. “Why is it a ‘list’?”

Yoongi just chuckled, before giving Jimin a pat on the back and leaving the newcomer to explore on his own.

Jimin, still amazed at the turn of events in his life, slowly put his bag down on the desk and took a seat on the black office chair. He sighed happily at the feeling. He closed his eyes and let it all sink in before he sat up straight to start with his list.

He was just about to reach for the envelope that Yoongi handed him when he was shocked by a deep, resonant voice coming from his left.

“Good morning.”

Jimin took a couple of deep breaths before he faced the side where the voice came from. Just above the cubicle divider, was a head. A very pretty head.

“H-Hi.” Jimin answered. “Good morning to you, too.”

The head then disappeared, only to reappear moments later in Jimin’s cubicle, along with the guy’s whole body.

“I’m Kim Taehyung. I work in the cubicle to your left.” The guy introduced himself. “You must be replacing Tiffany-noona. You know, she was great and all, actually. But then she met this guy, and now she wants to ‘settle down’ and get married, so she quit her job here.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Jimin retorted, a bit overwhelmed by Taehyung’s friendliness. Also, he actually did not anything about the person he was replacing, so he really did not know how to respond.

“What’s your name?”

“Jimin.” The still-baffled shorter answered. “Park Jimin.”

The two then shook hands before Taehyung disappeared back to his own cubicle. If people are that friendly in his new work environment, Jimin thought, he will really like working in Wings Company.

Smiling to himself, Jimin proceeded to opening the list of the tasks.

“Get to know the people working to your left and to your right.”

Jimin raised his brow at the first task. He already got to know the one to his left, so there was only one more person remaining before his first task was done. Using the screen of his computer as a mirror, Jimin quickly checked his appearance before standing up to acquaint himself with the owner of the cubicle to his right.

When he took a look at the person to his right, he was disarmed by the level of visuals the person has. Taehyung was really, really, gorgeous. And so was this person.

“H-Hello.” Jimin stuttered out a greeting, smiling at the tan man, who was now looking confusedly at him. And judging on his build, the man looked really, really tall.

“Oh, hi.” He smiled at Jimin. His voice was nice too. “You must be replacing Tiffany-noona.”

“Yeah.” Jimin answered. “Nice meeting you, I’m Park Jimin.”

“Hi, I’m Jeon Wonwoo.” He introduced himself, smiling even more. Jimin noticed that the guy was not wearing an ID. Maybe the company was not strict about the ID thing while inside the establishment.

“And I’m Kim Mingyu!” The guy on the other side of Wonwoo’s cubicle introduced himself. He too, was good-looking, with his eyes looking so tiny. His skin was also paler than Wonwoo’s or Taehyung’s. And right now, since he was smiling widely, his eyes were reduced to mere slits.

“Hi. Please take care of me.” Jimin smiled before bowing down at his two seniors. He then went back to his own cubicle to take a look at his second task, since task one was easily completed.

“Bring two cups of coffee to office 1323. One with no sugar, and no creamer, one of you own blend.”

“Typical tasks for a newcomer.” Jimin sighed, standing up. He heard hushed chuckling coming from somewhere, but he ignored it and proceeded to going to the coffee machine in the office, where he found Taehyung already taking a swig at his cup of coffee.

“Oh, Jiminie!” Taehyung smiled. Since when did they become close enough to call each other nicknames?

“Hi, Taehyung-ssi.”

“Oh, come on! Just call me Taehyung or TaeTae or Tae. Your choice.” Taehyung answered. “You’re also a coffee person, eh?”

“Yuh…” Jimin answered, already taking two cup to make the coffee. “Actually, I wasn’t going to make a cup, but one of my tasks is to bring coffee to office 1326, wherever that is.”

“Did they not give you a tour of the building?”

“They did, actually.” Jimin embarrassedly answered. “Just that… I’m not really good at directions.”

“Oh, I see.” Taehyung nodded. After a few moments of silence, Taehyung spoke again. “Do you want me to accompany you?”

“Don’t you have something to do?” Jimin questioned, to which Taehyung answered with a shake of his head. “Then… I would really appreciate it.”

“Okay, nice!” Taehyung clapped.  He patiently waited for Jimin to finish making the two cups of coffee that he needed to bring to the office in the list before he led him to the elevator to the 13th floor.

While inside the elevator, and as Jimin carried two cups of coffee—one creamy and one black—using a cup holder, the two chatted and got to know more about each other. Jimin learned that Taehyung was just the same age as him, and that he was just as wise as he was weird. He also learned that Taehyung was just really, really friendly, and that he was really, really gay, because Taehyung often whispered to him about the cute guy that rode the elevator with them.

In return, Jimin also shared that he was also gay, and that he came from a family in Busan who did not accept him at first, but eventually learned to love him for who he was.

Once they arrived, Jimin read the label aloud. “Music and Production Department.”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Taehyung said as they continued walking to the specific office number. When they got to office 1326, Jimin slightly flinched at the text on the plate stuck to the front of the door.

“Music Department Head.”

“R-Really? A department head?” Jimin asked Taehyung. “First day and I am to meet the department head of the music department?”

“Yeah, that’s weird, actually.” Taehyung answered. “During my first day, I was also tasked to bring cups of coffee to different offices. None of those was a department head office.”

Jimin groaned before composing himself. He was not to let his first day become a day of epic fails. He did not want to embarrass himself in front of a high-ranking person.

“You ready?” Taehyung asked, and Jimin nodded. He then knocked on the door twice before turning the knob to enter the room.

Jimin felt like fainting in nervousness.

“Ah, just about time.”

“Yoongi-hyung!” Jimin said in surprise as his nervousness quickly died down. “You’re the music department head?!”

“Yup.” Yoongi answered with a popping “p” sound at the end. “And I see you already made friends with—” Yoongi continued, only to stop midsentence when he turned his gaze to Jimin’s companion.

“Hello, sir. I’m Kim Taehyung.” Taehyung introduced himself and bowed.

“H-Hello, Kim Taehyung-ssi.”

Jimin sent Yoongi a weird look, surprised by what just happened. Did the legendary Min Yoongi just stutter? And was that a blush he was seeing on the pale skin of Yoongi’s cheeks?

“I just brought Jiminie here, because he said he was bad with directions.” Taehyung explained his presence. “Jiminie, sir, I’ll leave now.”

“N-No!” Yoongi called after Taehyung’s retreating form. The said man sent Yoongi a surprised look before looking questioningly at Jimin, who just shrugged his shoulders, because even he did not know what was happening.

“I-I mean you can stay. It’s always great to get to know new people, d-don’t you think?” Yoongi continued, looking away at the floor, confusing Jimin even more.

Realizing that Yoongi wanted to make friends with him, and that he was not a scary as he initially thought, Taehyung smiled his boxy smile and nodded before joining Jimin to take a seat.

“Hyung, what the hell?” Jimin asked with the soundless motion of his lips. The elder just ignored his question.

“So, since this is the second task, I guess you already did your first task?” Yoongi asked instead, choosing the ignore Jimin’s judgmental look at him.

“Yeah, obviously.” Jimin answered. “Taehyung here is the person to my left. And the person to my right is Jeon Wonwoo.”

“Wrong.” Yoongi answered. “It isn’t Jeon Wonwoo. Did you skip the task?”

“What?” Jimin asked, confused. “But he said he’s—”

“Let me explain.” Taehyung butted in. “Jeon Wonwoo and Kim Mingyu are dorks. So they actually exchanged names to confuse our Jiminie here.”

“What?”

“Oh, I see.” Yoongi nodded. “That’s very probable, knowing the two.”

“Wait, wait,” Jimin said, still confused. “So you two are saying that Mingyu and Wonwoo actually tricked me?”

“Yeah, that’s so like them.” Yoongi said.

“How come you don’t know Tae then, if you know Mingyu and Wonwoo?”

“Mingyu and Wonwoo are famous for being the mischievous, but efficient pair in the design department. They have been at risk of being fired multiple times already, so… yeah. They’re quite famous.” Taehyung answered. “Yeah, they’re good-looking. But if they are famous for that, then I will be even more famous than them.”

“Vain.” Jimin remarked, earning him a glare from Taehyung. He then turned his attention to Yoongi, who just watched the two bicker. “But really, though. Why are my assignments like this?”

“The first day is really all about getting to know the company.” Yoongi answered, propping himself up using his elbows on the table. “The company values its employees—its assets—and it wants us to be in a perfectly conducive environment. And for that to happen, you have to feel at home here. So that before you face any serious assignment, you already have established a support system founded on friendship.”

Jimin smiled. He decided that he will really, really like it in the company.

A few more minutes was spent with Jimin, Taehyung and Yoongi having a light-hearted conversation, or in Jimin’s point of view, it was more like Yoongi ogling at the oblivious Taehyung. Jimin have not seen Yoongi like that since they broke up.

The last time Jimin saw Yoongi look at someone the way he looked at Taehyung was when they first started dating, and that was years ago. Maybe he could tease Yoongi about it later on.

“Wait a sec,” Yoongi excused himself as the three of them are in the midst of talking about Jimin’s first job and how he quit it to take a call. The two younger men continued to talk in hushed voices, stopping only when Yoongi came back to them.

“I’m afraid I’ll have to say good bye for now.” Yoongi said, looking a bit disappointed. “I just got a call that I have to go somewhere. See you next time guys.”

“Yeah, yeah, it was nice meeting you, hyung,” Taehyung answered, standing up. “I’m gonna take Jiminie back to the creatives department.”

“Awww… hyung, don’t be too sad.” Jimin said, smirking at Yoongi. “You’ll see TaeTae more in the future—I mean Tae and me.”

“What are you talking about?” Yoongi asked, getting ready to leave and ignoring Jimin’s effort in teasing. “Anyway, Taehyung, take Jimin. He’ll get lost if you don’t.”

“YAH!”

“Come here Jiminie, let me guide you back to your home.”

“I can go back on my own you s!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.”

 

 

“Tae,” Jimin called Taehyung’s attention, looking at the light positioned just above him. “Is there something wrong with this elevator?”

“Yeah… it’s like that when it is under maintenance.” The taller answered. “That’s actually a special elevator—only the CEO and his guests could use it.”

“Ohhh…” Jimin nodded in understanding. The two of them were waiting for the elevator to go back to fifth floor after meeting Yoongi in his office. Just when the elevator was about to reach their floor, Jimin’s phone dinged, indicating the entry of a new message.

He felt his side pockets for his phone, and when he found it, began reading as the elevator door opened. He simply followed Taehyung’s lead through his peripheral vision.

From: Yoongi-hyung

You , don’t mention to Taehyung what you noticed earlier, he might freak out!

And let’s meet up some time outside work? ;)

“Aishhh… this lovesick fool.” Jimin chuckled, standing right in front of Taehyung, and beside the only other occupant of the elevator. He quickly sent a reply to Yoongi before putting the phone back in his pocket.

However, when he looked straight ahead, he caught the sight of a familiar face.

Mr. Red.

Only, Mr. Red was now wearing an all-black outfit. It looks much more decent for Jimin, but he still was irritated by the presence.

He really was not in the mood to deal with the rude kid. The day was going all too well in his favor. He was not to ruin it.

Another glance at Mr. Red through the reflection on the elevator door revealed that he was as well looking at Jimin, and when their gazes met, Mr. Red showed an expression Jimin could only describe as “shook-ness”.

However, the surprised look was quickly replaced by a glare, which Jimin gladly returned. They continued on with their glaring-through-the-elevator-door when the said door opened to let in a few people.

“Good morning, sir.” Said people bowed down, amazing Jimin, because he was just new. Maybe they were really that nice to new recruits?

He was about to reply a greeting when the person beside him—Mr. Red, answered with a “good morning”.

That was when Jimin started contemplating.

And as the new occupants of the cramped elevator squished him closer to the now smirking Mr. Red, Jimin felt all the goodness of the day leave him. The elevator suddenly felt so small, and the air so thin.

Why did they call him “sir”? Does that mean he’s a high-ranking member of the company? Just who is this guy?

Jimin continued to think. He then recalled the events of their first encounter. He remembered the words that he so harshly threw at the guy.

“Listen here, Mr. Red. I don’t know how your parents raised you. It was an accident, and the least you could do was accept my sincere apology a while ago and just shut that insolent mouth of yours. Now I don’t care how much money you have in your bank account, I am not afraid of you. And if anything, you should be scared one here, because that attitude of yours would make you end up alone.”

“Oh my god…” Jimin whispered to himself, willing the elevator floor to swallow him. “Just… oh my god…”

“Now, I won’t waste any more of your time, Mr. Menstruation Suit – ”

Jimin was screwed. He knew it. He now has to quit his job, just when he was starting to like it. Or maybe he would not have to quit it. He will get fired, for sure.

Maybe apologizing will do it? Jimin did not know what to do anymore. He was so horrified that when the elevator dinged at the fifth floor, Jimin ran straight out of the elevator so fast that Taehyung had to rush just to catch up to him.

“Jiminie, what’s the matter?” Taehyung worriedly asked Jimin, who was now a bit pale and panting. “Why did you run like that?”

“Y-You…” Jimin panted out, still amazed at how unlucky he was as a person. “Why didn’t you tell me we were riding the elevator with a high-ranked official?”

Taehyung sent Jimin a confused look. “What do you mean? I thought you should know by now who that person is.”

Jimin took a deep breath, and sighed to calm himself down. He was not ready to face the consequences of his past. Just not yet. But well… fate was never on his side.

“Just… who was that, really?” Jimin asked. He was afraid to know the answer, but he had to, so he could do something about his situation.

“It’s Jeon Jungkook, the CEO. Maybe he rode that elevator because his was under maintenance.”

“Oh …” Jimin said, almost on the verge of crying.

“I’m screwed, am I not?”