[1]

Habit

Here's the first chapter guys!!! I hope you like it, and leave comments!!! 


1

“So, as I was saying, it would be more… aesthetically pleasing if you’d lessen the flowers and add more green to the bouquets next to the central isle.”

Jimin confidently said, showing the sample bouquet he had designed and arranged himself. He spent last night trying to reconcile all the approved designs.

He did not like the approved concepts so far, to be completely honest. He is quickly losing faith in his client’s taste. He already finished thinking of the designs and presented them to the client during their first meet up for updates, but nearly all of it was changed due to the client’s exquisite design preferences.

And now, now that Jimin barely managed to pull all of it together into a nice, coherent design, the client is asking him to smother the isle with rose petals and rose flower bulbs?

“No, no, you don’t understand,” The client, Somi, said. Jimin felt his blood start to boil. “I love, love roses! And I hate green!”

“Then why did you add coconut leaves?” Jimin asked as nicely as he could. “You hate green, and coconut leaves are… well… green.”

“Look here, honey.” Somi collectedly said. “Just do what I say and – ”

“But it will mess up the whole event!” Jimin interjected, shocking both the client and Jimin’s supervisor.

“Wait a sec, wait a sec!” Nayeon butted in, smiling her rehearsed smile towards Somi, who reciprocated it. “Can I… like…” she asked, pointing on the flustered guy and then to the door. She then proceeded to ushering – more like dragging – a fuming Jimin outside.

Once they were out of hearing range, Nayeon turned to Jimin. “What are you doing?!”

“I’m doing my job, noona!” Jimin answered, clearly fed up with the project given to him. “But that Jeon Somi won’t let me do it properly! Can’t she leave the designing to us actual designers who were trained for this?”

The gap between Nayeon’s brows crumpled as she looked at Jimin seriously. “Our job is to bring their visions to life, Jimin. It is her wedding, not yours.”

“But it is my design, not hers!” Jimin countered. “It is I who would take the flak if the design goes crap, and it sure will if I let her lead the way!”

“We are being paid by them Jimin.” Nayeon answered. “I know it is hard to accept that you trained and studied hard only to produce outputs that are not even half of what you’re capable of, but if you want to stay in this business, you’d have to learn to accept that.”

Silence filled the hallway after Nayeon’s explanation, and she thought Jimin finally understood what she was trying to say. She has seen Jimin’s talent – she knew how much more the young boy can do. But it had always been like that in the corporate world. Talents go to waste. Potentials remain potentials. All because they were only being paid.

Nayeon let out a sigh before speaking again. “You have telent, Jimin. But then again, you are an employee. At the end of the day, our job is to simply materialize what our clients want to see.”

“Are you saying that at the end of the day, after all these years, we are just,” Jimin paused, taking a deep breath. “doing our job?”

“Yes.” Nayeon answered. “I’m glad that you are getting it.”

The beautiful girl waited to Jimin to fully come in terms with the revelation he just came face to face with, and thought that it was okay when the young talent lifted his head up and looked at her in the eye.

With finality and determination, Jimin voiced out.

“No.”

 

 

When young Jimin realized that he wanted to be an events designer, he was ecstatic and excited. He knew that not everyone manages to figure out what they want to do with their lives, not even to the end, so he was quite proud and inspired that he discovered his. Whenever the going got tough back when he was still studying, all he did was envision himself being congratulated for a stellar event that he designed for.

What he did not foresee, however, was that out there is not simply all about talent and staying true to yourself, as he had seen in movies. It was more about doing what your boss wants you to do. It was more about pleasing others, not yourself.

And he definitely did not see himself quitting his job this early in his career.

“I did not come to Seoul for this.” Jimin sighed as he sat in front of a small table, setting down his tray loaded only with a burger and regular fries dine-in order in a fast food chain. He wanted to cry, really… his pent up emotions ever since he left his family in Busan were not helping him as he tried to push back the tears threatening to spill.

He did not want to go back. Not just yet. His family probably already sacrificed too much for him just to get here. They were probably starving, he thought, having given Jimin a surprisingly huge sum of money. ‘So you have some to spend while waiting for your first salary’ as his mother said.

Jimin was too busy wallowing in self-pity that he did not notice the coming of another person.

“Yah.” The man tried to call his attention, but failed. He tried once again with a louder voice.

“Park Jimin!”

“Yes?” Jimin snapped out of his thoughts at the familiar voice, immediately sitting up straight from his slouched position and fixing his expression. When he lifted his gaze, a small smile managed to form on his lips upon realizing who the person was.

“Yoongi-hyung.”

“What got you all listless like that? Did something happen?” The pale person asked, already taking his seat opposite Jimin after confirming that the younger was alone. “And since when were you in Seoul? You did not even inform me or anything!”

“It was nothing, hyung.” Jimin answered. “I’ve been here since three weeks ago. And sorry about not telling you. I just thought it wouldn’t be necessary. I’m just here to for work.”

“Oh, really?” Yoongi smiled, taking a bite into his tomato, lettuce, and cheese burger. “How was work so far? Events designer, right?”

Jimin just gave the older a smile as a response before taking a small bite into his regular burger. He mentally cursed when he realized he did not catch any meat. It was all bread.

“What kind of answer was that?” Yoongi chuckled, scooping a dollop from his chocolate sundae.

The younger sighed. “I quit, hyung. I don’t have a job right now.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah… it’s good that my boss gave me a separation pay, actually. At least I have some money to spend while looking for a new job.”

 Yoongi’s smile fell from his face. “I’m sorry about that.” He said. “But… as far as I can remember, you really like your job. Why would you quit?”

“It wasn’t as I thought, hyung.” Jimin answered, clearly crestfallen. “Yeah, the designing part is great. But what’s the use if I couldn’t even put my designs to life just because the client decided to add coconut leaves in her wedding?”

He was still mad, really. It was crazy. She was crazy. Jimin could not understand how a girl like that was already getting married, while he was still facing the difficulties of life alone. And to think that he was even older than Jeon Somi.

“So, what are you going to do next?” Yoongi asked. He was concerned, of course. They have known each other really well for a really long time now. He wanted to make sure Jimin will be fine.

“Honestly? I don’t know.” Jimin answered. “I just can’t go home yet, hyung. Not when I’m my parents’ only chance in having a good life. You know how we are, hyung,” Jimin continued, as the older nodded in understanding. “My parents already did what they can do to give me a comfortable life even though we could never afford luxuries. They are old, hyung. It’s my turn now.”

“I understand.” The older said. He glanced at his watch, and when he saw that it was time for him to go, he stood up and smiled. “It was really nice meeting you again, Jimin. Too bad I have something scheduled in like… fifteen minutes.”

“Yeah, it really was, hyung.”

“I missed you.” He continued. He really did not want to leave Jimin, but he had work to do. They had been pretty attached to each other in the past, and even though they were only friends now, he still loved being around Jimin and talking to him. “Is your old contact number still the same?”

“Yeah, I really couldn’t change because I have other stuff to spend my money on.” Jimin chuckled. “Get going now, hyung. We’ll just meet again some other time, when you’re not busy.”

“Yeah, yeah, maybe I’ll text you tonight or something.” Yoongi agreed. “I’ll go now.”

With a final pat on the younger’s hair, Yoongi left.

Soon after being left alone, Jimin also picked himself up and left the fast food to go back to the apartment he rented. It was a bit far, actually, but he chose to walk, partly because he thought he also needed the distraction, and mostly because he did not want to spend money to get a cab.

“No one’s waiting for me, anyway.” Jimin sighed as he continued walking. It was already night when he got to his apartment, and instead of eating dinner, he went directly to his bed and tried to get some sleep after his long, exhausting day.

 

 

He was woken up, rather rudely, if you would ask him, but the ringing of his phone in the middle of the night.

“Ugh… it’s like, what, three in the morning, who the hell is calling?” Jimin groggily asked as he tried to look for his phone on the bedside table without opening his eyes. When he finally got it, he peeked at his screen to see that it was Yoongi who was calling him.

And also, that it was just ten in the evening.

“Hyung…” Jimin yawned into his phone, standing up to go to the TV to watch the night news.

“Hey, Jimin.” Yoongi chuckled. “Sorry for waking you up.”

“It’s nothing, hyung.” Jimin reassured the elder. “I was just… napping. You said you’d text me, not call, so… yeah.”

“Have you eaten?”

The moment Yoongi mentioned food, Jimin’s stomach made a grumbling sound, indication that it needed attention.

“Y-Yeah. Before I napped.” Jimin answered. He was not exactly telling the truth, but it was not a lie either. He was even with Yoongi when he ate!

“Oh, okay. Good. Don’t neglect your health, okay?” The older softly said. Jimin gave him a soft hum as a response.

“Yeah, thanks, hyung.” Jimin answered. “How was your appointment earlier?”

“Oh, it was great, actually. The client already gave his approval.”

Jimin smiled. Yoongi was lucky.

“Good job, hyung. Nice to hear that.”

Knowing Jimin, Yoongi knew that even though the younger is truly happy for him, he would still feel a bit sad after what happened to his job earlier. And because of that, he remembered the reason why he actually called the younger.

“Hey, hey, Jimin!” Yoongi excitedly called the younger’s attention through the phone. “You know where I work, right?”

“Hmmm…” Jimin thought hard to remember the company that Yoongi once mentioned. His mind is still asleep, so it took some time before he recalled anything. “Something like Wings…”

“Yeah, yeah, that one.” Yoongi confirmed. “So, basically, today, I got news that one of the employees from the design and aesthetics department resigned. We need an immediate replacement, so maybe you’re interested?”

“R-Really?!” Jimin’s eyes widened at Yoongi’s words. He immediately sat up from his bed, more awake that he had been in a long time. “R-Really?!”

“Yeah!” Yoongi answered with an equal amount of enthusiasm. “The company haven’t posted any poster for hiring yet. So if you’d come tomorrow, chances are, you’ll get in. Especially since I am backing you up.”

For a while, the line went silent. Yoongi almost thought Jimin fell asleep on him. When he was about to call Jimin’s name again to make sure he was still awake, he heard a sniffle from the other side.

“Yah, Jimin, are you crying?”

“N-No, I’m not!” Jimin answered, rubbing his closed fist against his right eye. “I’m just… smelling something.”

The older could not hold his laughter at Jimin’s denial. He tried holding the phone away from his mouth so Jimin would not hear it, but it was too late.

“Why are you laughing at me?! I told you I was not crying!”

“Okay, okay, you’re not crying!” Yoongi said to appease the younger. “But seriously though, this is a nice opportunity. I say you should take it.”

“Hell yeah, of course I’ll take it!” Jimin answered happily. He quickly wiped the tears still flowing down his cheeks before talking into the phone again. “Thank you, hyung. I owe you one.”

“Yeah, yeah. Pass the interview tomorrow first, then you can thank me.” Yoongi answered. “Now sleep, you mochi, you have a long day ahead.”

“I know.” Jimin said, smiling. He was already on the verge of breaking down a while ago when he found out Yoongi just closed a successful deal with their client, but thanks to his hyung, he just got a big opportunity to work in a prestigious company.

“Thank you again, hyung. And good night.”

“Good night to you, too.” Yoongi answered, smiling. He was glad he made the younger happy. He fell asleep contented, having had a good day after his client approved of his music and more importantly, after having been Jimin’s salvation.

The younger, on the other hand, closed his eyes feeling nervous for tomorrow, for he was not sure if such a big company would hire a newbie like him. But more importantly, he was happy.

He just hoped that this new opportunity would actually be more like his dream job.