The Company Party (part 1)

CEO chef

When Minhyuk and Jooheon arrived at the party there were already a lot of people, all dressed up and sipping Champaign, wine or other ridiculous expensive drinks.

Minhyuk had to hold in the urge to not just turn around and go home. During the car ride he kept thinking about how he thought he got rid of this kind of lifestyle, Minhyuk didn’t want anything to do with the company or any company at all. He sighed multiple times during the car ride, earning an annoyed remark from Jooheon that he should better act more enthusiastic when they are at the company party.

So that was what Minhyuk did, he smiled and laughed when people came to greet him. At one point he found his two brothers and joined them, glad he got rid of Jooheon who was now talking to an older man from God knows what company.

A lot of people came to Hyunwoo, starting conversations Minhyuk and Changkyun had no interest in. Besides, most people made it very awkward considering Minhyuk and his younger brother were next to Hyunwoo but didn’t get involved into the conversations. Eventually Minhyuk and Changkyun just went to grab some drinks and found a more quite spot to sit close to the bar.

Minhyuk just ordered a bottle of Captain Morgan and some Coca Cola cans. 

“You sure are planning on getting drunk, mind if I join?” Minhyuk looked up and gave a big smile to the person standing next to him, not seeing Changkyun’s slightly panicked face, and taps on the chair next to him.

“Hey Kihyun! Sure you can join.” Kihyun goes to the bar to grab a glass and joins the brothers at their table, giving a smile to Changkyun.

“Kihyun, this is my baby brother Changkyun. Maybe you’ve seen him before, he also goes to your high school.” Changkyun starts to shift in his chair, obviously nervous, but Minhyuk just thought it was his little brother’s social anxiety that made him feel that way.

Kihyun just stretched out his hand towards Changkyun. “Nice to meet you Changkyun! I’m Kihyun and I think I already spotted you before at school.” Changkyun grabbed the hand quickly and shook it, mouthing ‘thank you’ when he was sure Minhyuk wasn’t looking.

Kihyun actually also felt a little uncomfortable, not only because he took Wonho with him and knew Changkyun would be damned, but also because he never got the chance to tell Minhyuk he was Jooheon’s friend and that his mother worked at Mr. Lee’s company. But Kihyun didn’t care if Jooheon was his friend, he also cared for Minhyuk and he did notice how Minhyuk’s mood changed almost every week for the past months. There were days were Minhyuk was just his bright self, other days were he looked tired but still tried to be bright, and days were he gave in to the tiredness. Kihyun was pained by Minhyuk’s mood, also, Minhyuk never told people what really was going on and Kihyun didn’t want to ruin the friendship he developed with Minhyuk while working at the same restaurant.

“How does he treat you?” But Kihyun had to ask, he had to know. He had to watch over Minhyuk and snap at Jooheon if he went too far. Kihyun knew Jooheon would never hurt someone... physically, but he loved to play mind games with others.

Minhyuk looked at him for a little while, knowing damn well Kihyun meant Jooheon.

“You’re his friend at school? Probably, right?” Minhyuk smirked while he experienced sudden feelings of betrayal.

Before Kihyun had a chance to respond anything to Minhyuk he got interrupted by his mother who wanted to drag him to some “important” people, of course she politely introduced herself to Minhyuk and Changkyun. Kihyun didn’t miss how his mother’s smile changed to a sad smile when greeting Minhyuk.

Kihyun left with his mother but he turned around and looked Minhyuk deeply in the eyes.

“I’m sorry, I really am Minhyuk.”

 


 

Changkyun sighed deeply and mentally eye rolled himself blind. He and Minhyuk dumped Hyunwoo to get rid of the awkward conversations, but here they were; sitting at a table with Kihyun and Changkyun got reminded again why he hated conversations in the first place. So he just drowned his Cola with a little Morgan that turned out to be Morgan with a little bit of Cola in one go and wished to just instantly black-out. Changkyun was relieved when suddenly a woman came to get Kihyun, it appeared to be his mother who had the same kind aura as her son.

“You okay Minhyuk? Kihyun is really nice, so I think he is genuinely worried about you.” Changkyun tried to sooth his brother, knowing he felt hurt by the new information he obtained.

“Oh please, don’t tell me you’re also friends with Jooheon!” Minhyuk snapped, looking really annoyed and on the edge of crying. Changkyun grabbed his hand and squeezed in it.

“No, I’m not. I hate that arrogant trash, you can act all nothing’s-wrong as you want Minhyuk but I can see right through you. I may be younger but I’m not blind. You’re not happy, he makes you unhappy.”

Minhyuk just took the bottle and filled the two glasses in front of him.

“Sorry, it’s not your fault Changkyun. It’s also not Kihyun’s fault. Don’t worry, I may not be happy now but I’ll be in the future. Just believe in it.”

Changkyun just nodded, he found it hard to see his brother like that. He actually wanted to ask more about him and Jooheon, now that he seemed to be more talkative and honest. But even Changkyun knew that a party was not the place to start deep conversations, and he knew his father would freak out if he saw Minhyuk crying. He was also impressed about the fighting spirit his brother always had, even now when Minhyuk was feeling like he still believed everything would turn out alright. And Changkyun wished he also had his brother’s mindset, he always had been a little envious of Minhyuk’s way of seeing life and dealing with it.

However, Changkyun felt bad for his brother, after tonight everyone would know he and Jooheon are engaged. Even Changkyun could feel that as time passed the chance of escaping from the marriage grew smaller and smaller.

“Can I do something to help? To make you feel better?”

Minhyuk gave his brother a warm smile. “Tss, just be there on our Wednesdays afternoon coffee dates. Those mean a lot to me.” Minhyuk took a glass in his hand and held it up, Changkyun followed and they clinked their glasses.

“This is cute, heartwarming. I hope we’ll have these brother moments too after we get married sweetie.” The warm smile disappeared from Minhyuk’s face and he looked annoyed at Jooheon.

“Get up. We should get congratulations soon, and I prefer doing that now when you’re still partly sober. We’ll get drunk later.” Jooheon pulled a little on Minhyuk’s arm, hinting that the latter needs to hurry and get up. Jooheon didn’t even look at Changkyun, acting like the boy was invisible, but Changkyun didn’t mind, he liked being invisible to others.

So he pouted when Minhyuk got up and tried to fake smile like he was happy to be with Jooheon.

“I’ll be back soon.” Minhyuk tried to say soothingly to his little brother, but when Jooheon pushed him into the crowd the latter turned around and mouthed a ‘nope’, giving Changkyun a big wolf grin and wink before turning his back to him.

Changkyun sighed, thinking he should’ve thrown that glass on Jooheon’s head at the club. He just started to fill his glass again, trying to look as uninterested and annoyed as possible, hoping no one would join him.

And it worked…. for a while.

Some girl came to sit next to him, clearly more drunk than Changkyun, who honestly drank way too much for his own good. Before he knew she just put her head on his shoulder and started to say things that made Changkyun wish he was deaf. Changkyun had the words in his mouth to speak but nothing came out, frozen by the looks of other people and the girl suddenly touching his upper leg.

Changkyun felt his heart began to beat abnormally hard and his breath became irregular.

Breath Changkyun, come on! Don’t let this happen. It’s such a long time ago.

Changkyun abruptly stood up, earning a yelp from the girl because his shoulder hit her head.

More people looking.

Changkyun just turned around and quickly made his way out of the room, eyes looking down and face all red, eventually arriving in one of the toilet areas. Luckily the building they hired for the company party was big enough and Changkyun kept on walking until he didn’t hear anyone anymore.

So there was no one else in the toilet area. Changkyun leaned against the wall and bend his knees, lowering himself to the floor and tried to make his breath regular again. A few tear drops ran down his cheeks. He tried to hold in his tears, he wouldn’t allow himself to cry over things like this again.

That’s in the past Changkyun. Stop it.

Please.

Changkyun stood up and went to the sink, splashing some cold water in his face. He closes his eyes and lets his head hang down, trying to make his body more relaxed and calm.

His eyes go wide open when the toilet door swings open and he turns around ready to hide in one of the toilet stalls.

“Changkyun don’t.” The voice makes him freeze, Changkyun didn’t expect him to be here.

“I saw you, you looked troubled. Are you okay?” Changkyun took a few deep breaths, trying to look as calm as possible before turning around to face the other.

“Yeah, sure. Just needed to… euh… p-pee.” Changkyun was bewildered by his own answer, which he blamed the alcohol for, but the feeling went away when he saw a chuckling smile appear on Wonho’s face.

“I’m sorry! I shouldn’t laugh, you didn’t look fine when I saw you. I’m worried, you looked alone.”

“Who says I don’t mind being alone?” Changkyun bit back, which surprised Wonho. Changkyun normally never had a big mouth at other people, but his whole behavior was much looser because he did drink a lot.

“You don’t mind? Then explain me why you looked so anxious.”

“Because the people around me where not the people soothing or protecting me!” Changkyun snapped, tears falling from his eyes again and even he couldn’t make up why he was feeling like this.

Something in Wonho’s face changed and he came closer to Changkyun, wiping his tears away. Then Wonho framed Changkyun’s face with both his hands, cupping his cheeks and softly rubbing his thumbs over the apple of his cheeks.   

“Then let’s make a deal. You’ll keep me close and I’ll make sure I’ll sooth and protect you. Anytime, anywhere. Okay?”

Changkyun looked up at the muscular man, feeling dazed by the words the latter spoke to him.

He didn’t know if it was the alcohol again,

he didn’t even know anymore if it had been the alcohol’s blame all along or not.

But Changkyun didn’t hesitate to put his hands around Wonho’s waist, pulling him closer.

“Deal.”

And the last distance between them was overbridged, soft lips fighting a war with each other.

Changkyun never thought healing could be this way.

 


 

Minhyuk lost the times he had been internally screaming, wishing he was still drinking his brains out with his brother.

Minhyuk smiled and smiled, shaking hands and making small talks with strangers who acted like they had been best friends with him. It was tiring and sometimes Minhyuk glanced besides him to check if Jooheon had any traces of tiredness or irritations. But there was nothing besides dimples and twinkling eyes.

Most people just congratulated him and Jooheon, then they showed of their rings and would exchange fake warmhearted smiles at each other. But of course there were other people, mostly older couples, who were quite shocked hearing the news that the son of Mr. Lee would marry the son of Mr. Im. Minhyuk would just casually say which century they’re in, ending in receiving a soft pinch in his waist from Jooheon who would just laugh it away and chance the subject smoothly.

It made Minhyuk realize he never talked about it to Jooheon, what his preferences are. Minhyuk was 100% sure the boy was not homophobic, otherwise he would’ve been dead already.

Curiosity is good for nothing Minhyuk! Shake it off!

And that’s what he did, but it was not like he could zoom out with all the people talking to him. If he would displease one person Jooheon and/or his dad would be seriously annoyed.

They came down to an old woman who Minhyuk had a unpleasant feeling about.

Why?

Because she looked like a total .

It was an aura Minhyuk had difficulty with to describe, it was the type of person that knew she had lots of power and was used to everyone doing whatever she wants.

“Jooheon, that’s a long time ago sweetheart.” The woman gave Jooheon a kiss, which pleased Minhyuk because he could feel the aversion Jooheon was feeling.

“This must be Minhyuk, right?” The woman have Minhyuk a fake Botox-smile, and they shook hands. “You really look the most like your mother. So handsome.”

Minhyuk just swallowed and spoke a cracking ‘thank you’ to the woman, feeling flustered by the sudden mention of his mother. It made him more curious about who she was, but before he could ask her anything the lady already fired another question.

And Minhyuk somehow felt weird realizing it was the first time that night he heard that question.

“You’re not working at your dad’s company, so what do you do?”

Minhyuk sighed deeply, feelings of embarrassment overtook Minhyuk.

The thing he loved the most was seen as a failure to others.

 



 

No, sadly I’m not sponsored by Captain Morgan or Coca Cola. *cries*   Anyway, I hope you all liked this chapter. 

I also think this chapter made clear why Changkyun only has one best friend.

There will also be a part 2 of the party, I first wanted to typ everything into 1 chapter. But you all probably already realized I take my time writing things very slow-built  (soorryyyy) 

 

Anyway, have a lovely (almost) weekend! Take care! ♥ ♥